Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2005   #1
CarrFan911

Default Draft

Am I the only one who thinks the Texans should of grabbed Derrick Johnson LB/Texas University instead of Travis Johnson DL/Florida State? With the releases of Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman, why not get the best Linebacker from college to takeover?
Old 08-02-2005   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrFan911
Am I the only one who thinks the Texans should of grabbed Derrick Johnson LB/Texas University instead of Travis Johnson DL/Florida State? With the releases of Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman, why not get the best Linebacker from college to takeover?
No you aren't. There are a lot Texas homers that felt the same way.

(Not me).
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Any time you feel that the Texans didnt make the right decision with their first round choice..

just look at who we have grabbed so far.. and how great they have done..

then look at Sean Taylor.. the guy everyone here wanted us to get.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrFan911
because since our 1st year our lb core has been the back bone of our defense and we have had good solid depth behind our starters. (we have players that have shown they can step up and handle the load). On our DL however we had absolutely no depth and ageing players that have had durability issues of late. We have been held hostage by Payne and Walker's abilities to stay healthy. Thats why the selection of Johnson was so important. Now if one of our starting DLineman go down we wont have a deep drop off in talent. Also G. Walker might be in the stage of his career where he can't handle the load as a every down starter. The acquisition of TJ allows us to rotate him out, keeping him fresher, thus possibly making him more effective. I have no doubt that Derrick Johnson will be a playmaker, but a GM's job isn't about making the popular choice, but the right choice for the team. We really didn't have a need to take a linebacker with our #1 draft pick. People get confused, we didn't lose Sharper and Foreman, we decided we didn't need them, because we had adequate pieces to replace them.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #5
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

i wanted DJ too, just being honest, but i have to get over it, im no the GM.
Old 08-02-2005   #6
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Not the DJ debate again.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #7
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

I was actually more surprised that they chose TJ over Spears. When they passed on DJ with the 13th pick it was clear they did not have him as highly rated as most of us on this board.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-02-2005   #8
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I was like many people who were dumbfounded when the texans pass up DJ with the 13th, but by the looks of it TJ has already added a spark and some attitude to the D.
Old 08-03-2005   #9
TexansR#1
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to TexansR#1 Send a message via Yahoo to TexansR#1

Me being a texas longhorn at heart, it was devastating when D.Johnson was on the board at our pick and we traded down. Then i was like ok maybe they dont think he will go at 16 so we can still get him. Then the #15 pick," the Chiefs select with the 15th overall pick in the draft D. Johnson"! I was crushed and pissed off at the Texans probaly becuase I am a longhorn and i wanted to see him a Texan but I got over it. Hopefully J.Johnson is better that D.Johnson for us!
TexansR#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
I was like many people who were dumbfounded when the texans pass up DJ with the 13th, but by the looks of it TJ has already added a spark and some attitude to the D.
Don't be giving the ole thumbs up to TJ just because he had a harmless little
scuffle with another rookie. Truth is its probably more a sign of immaturity
than any kind of demeanor that's a positive thing. Remember, this is just the
kind of behavior we've been trying to break Peek of and that's had a lot to do with keeping him off the field much of his first 2 years in the NFL.
As far as Cass passing on DJ, its obvious they just didn't think he was right
for our 3-4 scheme. I don't think they would have taken him at 16 had he still been on the Board.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #11
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

First of all we had and still have bigger needs than another linbacker. Second he couldnt have been an olb in our system because he isnt a good pass rusher. I think he would have been fine as a Ilb in our system but we already have wong and greenwood. Quit about it the draft is long gone
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
No you aren't. There are a lot Texas homers that felt the same way.

(Not me).
And there were a lot of people who couldn't care less about UT who wanted them to take him as well. You didn't have to be a homer to want DJ, you were just looking in a different direction.

Like most everyone else who thought he was the way to go I'm good with how it turned out. I'm not a GM and I'm sure the Texans had good reasons for not taking him.
Old 08-03-2005   #13
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Wonder if I was among those that wanted us to take DJ at our #13 pick?

I made this after the 12th pick in the draft was made and DJ was still available. I was a little puzzled by the pick of TJ at first, but after the excitement of the draft I realized that TJ probably was the better pick for the team. CC and company know the needs of the team a lot better than I do.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #14
astrofan
Veteran

Am I the only one who wanted Pollack?
astrofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #15
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Any time you feel that the Texans didnt make the right decision with their first round choice..

just look at who we have grabbed so far.. and how great they have done..

then look at Sean Taylor.. the guy everyone here wanted us to get.
I really hope that you are right with this years picks, but as far as sean taylor is concerned, the texans were reported by espn to have tried and failed every which way possible to trade up and get taylor during the draft. We were LUCKY to have ended up with dunta, who was a no brainer at the 10 spot, vilma would have been the only other no brainer, but he was not a critical need at that time.

I think that we have been really lucky with our top picks. reports 3 years ago were that houston was originally in love with charles rogers. luckily detroit picked the hometown guy and the rest is history.

Now, as far as dj is concerned, i think that we made the right pick...
1. dt was a bigger need
2. with the undersized greenwood signed to a big deal, having an undersized dj next to him would have given us a miniscule interior lb corp.

The true test will be wether or not TJ was a better pick than marcus spears.
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we were 'lucky' on our top picks. There were other teams that could have taken these guys and we very well could have passed on them also.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted Pollack. he was my #1 pick.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read