Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2005   #1
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Need for Speed | McClain

Quote:
When the Texans begin two-a-day practices today at their training facility, Payne, Walker and Smith will be among those players who were ordered to report at a lighter weight than last season. "They all made it," Texans coach Dom Capers said Friday. "It's another point of emphasis of us trying to get quicker and faster on defense."

The Texans intend to improve on last season's 7-9 record that included sweeps of AFC South rivals Tennessee and Jacksonville. But they still haven't defeated Indianapolis, the defending division champion.

Part of the plan to meet increased expectations in their fourth season is to improve the speed and quickness of the team. Capers wants to get faster on offense, defense and special teams. "We have some guys who are significantly lighter than what they have been in the past," Capers said.

A lot of players were given lighter reporting weights by Dan Riley, who's entering his 24th season as one of the NFL's top strength and conditioning coaches. It's a tribute to the players, Riley and his staff that no one is going to be fined for being overweight.

Speed and more speed

Capers and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio plan to be more aggressive this season. They would like to blitz the run and assault the quarterback unmercifully.

With lighter starting linemen, faster linebackers in Antwan Peek and Morlon Greenwood and a super-quick cornerback in Phillip Buchanon, the coaches believe they have the talent that will allow them to attack from every angle. "We're challenging our players," Capers said. "There's a sense of purpose on everyone's part."
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3288806

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #2
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Once again interior pash rushing will be key for us and that means guys like Seth Payne, Gary Walker, and Robaire Smith will have to be big for us. If loosing weight gives us an extra edge to beat teams like the Colts then I'm all for it.
Old 07-30-2005   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been waiting for three years to see the aggressive, pressure defense that Capers was known for in Carolina, Jacksonville, and Pittsburgh. It is really sounding like we're going to start seeing it this year.

By the way, it will be a treat for fans to get to watch such an exciting style defense play... We could be stuck watching a bunch of Cover-2 zones and other passive defenses. This is going to be a very entertaining year!!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #4
Str8tupg42k1
Veteran

I hope we do see more blitzes cuz i love an aggressive d. Last year I would watch the steelers and they would blitz like every time and they were aggressive. Thats how i want our d to be aggressive and just going blitz, blitz, blitz.
Str8tupg42k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #5
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

one thing I can see coming out of this is that a better defense will make a better offense. What I mean is that with a faster, more dominant defensive line, the OL will have better quality to practice against and will be better able to judge their improvement. Wand will have be going up against Peek, which will either make or break Wand. I'm excited.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
one thing I can see coming out of this is that a better defense will make a better offense. What I mean is that with a faster, more dominant defensive line, the OL will have better quality to practice against and will be better able to judge their improvement. Wand will have be going up against Peek, which will either make or break Wand. I'm excited.
On 610 the other day Seth Payne said the starters go against each other in training camp, but after that phase of the season is over and the schedule gets into the regular season they go against the scout team in practice each week in preparation for the Sunday game.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #7
LikeABoss
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 LikeABoss seems to be losing the respect of his peers
Thumbs up

I knew they were intending to blitz more (I even made a poll about it). But I knew they weren't just bringing in all that speed just to sit up in a man 2 man or zone defense the whole game without bringing any pressure
Old 07-30-2005   #8
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

lets dont forget D-Robs pass rushing ability, just ask Manning about it i'm surte he'd be glad to fill you in
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

When Payne was 100% in that first season, we were a tough little defense to face. Now we are going to be better.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #10
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Not to mention, we'll be scoring points on defense this year with the new agressiveness. Just think back to the year when the Oilers won those 11 in a row to finish 12-4. I was not disappointed to see our defense come out cuz it could of easily been a score waiting to happen.
Old 08-01-2005   #11
HoustonHarley
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Not to mention, we'll be scoring points on defense this year with the new agressiveness. Just think back to the year when the Oilers won those 11 in a row to finish 12-4. I was not disappointed to see our defense come out cuz it could of easily been a score waiting to happen.
Can you beleive that was 11 years ago...WOW Love him or hate him, Buddy Ryan got his defense fired up!
HoustonHarley is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read