Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who actually deserves all the heat they take?
Steve "Push Me Back" Mckinney 52 44.83%
Billy "Do Little" Miller 6 5.17%
Seth "Magic-less" Wand 12 10.34%
Gary "G-Skunk" Walker 18 15.52%
Seth "Full of" Payne 4 3.45%
David "Franchise" Carr 11 9.48%
Chris "What is Blocking" Palmer 29 25.00%
Dom "I need a linebacker" Capers 6 5.17%
Charlie "O-line is top priority" Casserly 5 4.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2005   #21
stephen1
Veteran

none of these players were ever considered to be great, so how can they be overrated?
stephen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005   #22
Jwwillis
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofhnd
I voted but for who I feel deserves the heat/criticism and to me its chris palmer and the sudden change to a zone blocking scheme last year. Not only that the personnel switch to put Wand at LT after 0 starts the year before and switching his blocking assignments. Not to mention rotating tight ends in running and passing situations. But we still came away with a better record than the year before.

But if you want the Most overrated texan it is Tony Boselli hands down. He was the cornerstone of our O line and he didnt even play a single down. All he did was retire. Where is his name? or How about jermaine Ill retire for a year then return and play for the jags next year lewis? or Matt I cant even wrap up a christmas present so ill dive at the guy Stevens?
Sudden change to zone blocking? Were they suppose to ease into it somehow? Im pretty sure most are considering CURRENT players and this is why you dont see any of your favorites.

Last edited by Jwwillis; 07-27-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Jwwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #23
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1
none of these players were ever considered to be great, so how can they be overrated?
If you are starting for an NFL team, this is pretty highly rated all by itself. If the player is not playing up to the level required of players starting in the NFL, then they are overrated.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #24
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
OK tell me both then...........I didn't want to say tell me who you think sucks the most..........since it would offend quite a few members.

Go ahead, tell us who you love to hate the most then
I don't think we have anyone who deserves heat. I don't think we have any super stars who aren't performing, or any people whose antics/off the field conduct deserve it.

Hmmm, players who are praised but don't deserve it.... (ie over rated).

Sure, I guess, AJ and DD.

AJ isn't consistant enough, but, how often do we try to toss him the short ball?

DD was hurt too much last year. But, hey, when he did play, he made up for his missed games.

IMO your question applies to people like TO, Ricky Williams, Ken Griffie, JR., Deion Sanders, Eli Manning, etc, etc...
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #25
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1
thank you.

You are not overrrated just because you start, you become overrated when everyone talks about you, and like I've said before, the only one on this list that is held in high regard is Carr.
Old 07-28-2005   #26
geofb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngstown Colt
You are not overrrated just because you start
Are you the authority on English language semantics? You interpret "overrated" the way you want and others can interpret "overrated" how they want. Seems fair.
geofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #27
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

You dont have to be considered a great player to be overated. You can be an overated backup or coach.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #28
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

But someone has to rate you highly. Who is rating McKinney or really anyone on this list highly?

Say "who's not that good" but overrated doesn't apply to 90% of the people on this list.
Old 07-28-2005   #29
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp
You dont have to be considered a great player to be overated. You can be an overated backup or coach.
LOL, wouldn't 'overrated back up' be an oxy moron?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

leadership is the most important factor hence the franchise David Carr deserving or not will have to step up to the plate this year & hit a home run. The offensive line, his biggest excuse to date, should be improved (how much we'll have to wait and see). Palmer has, alledgedly, adjusted his playcalling book with shorter developing routes, while Casserly was unwilling to gamble with the 1st pick & take Barron or trade for Pace he has improved the teams overall talent level. you can't criticize someone who is injured or plays hurt (Payne & Walker). Seth Wand did a decent job his first year & McKinney and Miller are jouneymen types at best.

the big three in this scenario have to be Carr, Capers & Palmer. one of these Texans will shake out this year or all three will rise to the challenge of what is expected and what they are capable of doing.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #31
BullPenAndy
Rookie

JoeTexan
BullPenAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #32
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to throwANDREtheBALL

"But someone has to rate you highly. Who is rating McKinney or really anyone on this list highly?

Say "who's not that good" but overrated doesn't apply to 90% of the people on this list."

Quote from Youngstown Colt

OK buddy, if you want to get technical lets do it. Here's the definition of overrated.

Overrated - To rate too highly; overestimate the merits of.

So when I read magazines that say Steve Mckinney is a good pass blocking Center, or he's successfully made the transition from guard to center, or he's a strong player that never gets pushed around......well, all of those statements would be wrong, therefore overrating the aforementioned player.

The definition of overrated never said the player has to be expected to be a pro bowl player every year. Come on just think about it. Even the Underrated label can go to Pro Bowl players and obviously backups......So to with the overrated label. It can be put on any player that is rated too highly by any person or persons. You don't have to be a first round pick to get the overrated label. It helps, but in no way does the player have to be known by every person on the planet in order to get the overrated label.

Its like if you still don't understand the meaning of overrated after I make this long explanation then I guess I overestimated the merits of your intelligence. Or you could say that when I started this thread, I overrated your ability to understand English Terms.
throwANDREtheBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #33
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I couldnt agree more
Old 07-31-2005   #34
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

That was you ----> <-------That was me

WE AGREE!

Old 07-31-2005   #35
Youngstown Colt
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwANDREtheBALL
"But someone has to rate you highly. Who is rating McKinney or really anyone on this list highly?

Say "who's not that good" but overrated doesn't apply to 90% of the people on this list."

Quote from Youngstown Colt

OK buddy, if you want to get technical lets do it. Here's the definition of overrated.

Overrated - To rate too highly; overestimate the merits of.

So when I read magazines that say Steve Mckinney is a good pass blocking Center, or he's successfully made the transition from guard to center, or he's a strong player that never gets pushed around......well, all of those statements would be wrong, therefore overrating the aforementioned player.

The definition of overrated never said the player has to be expected to be a pro bowl player every year. Come on just think about it. Even the Underrated label can go to Pro Bowl players and obviously backups......So to with the overrated label. It can be put on any player that is rated too highly by any person or persons. You don't have to be a first round pick to get the overrated label. It helps, but in no way does the player have to be known by every person on the planet in order to get the overrated label.

Its like if you still don't understand the meaning of overrated after I make this long explanation then I guess I overestimated the merits of your intelligence. Or you could say that when I started this thread, I overrated your ability to understand English Terms.
Haha, so if you saw something in one magazine once, he's overrated? Alright, I'm done.
Old 07-31-2005   #36
throwANDREtheBALL
Veteran

No, that would be three different remarks from 3 different magazines......I've been reading rave reviews of a lot of guys from many teams for many years, of players that seem to be the weak links of their teams, but, the media just keeps on singing their praises.

Mckinney for one was given a B+ grade in one mag. And in another was praised as being one of two good players on a weak line. Another said that his pass-blocking was solid, but his run blocking was only adequate. I could keep going.........as well as magazines in years past......ratings on video games......but, I won't since I realize that proving my point is a lost cause on some.

And before you reply to this, think about it for awhile, make a rough copy if you have to, and try to actually prove your point this time.

Old 07-31-2005   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

pop in the Browns game or watch him get crushed against the Bears, or any number of teams. Thats all you need to do. No need to debate 3rd party opinions...just watch the games.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #38
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Easy question! Gary Walker.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #39
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

The new madden has Steve Mckinney ranked an 87 which is the highest rank out of all of our offensive lineman and only one point lower than Dunta robinson and Domanick Davis. sorry colt but it doesnt seem anybody is on your side.
Old 08-01-2005   #40
HardCoreTxn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HardCoreTxn Send a message via MSN to HardCoreTxn Send a message via Yahoo to HardCoreTxn

Billy Miller

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read