Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-25-2005   #21
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Or . . . or . . . or, it could be that he doesn't have intelligence to pick up a complicated system like the 3-4. (I heard John Granato allude to that possibility on the radio, in which he said, if that's the case, the Texans should just dumb it down so Peek could play it. :brickwall )
Might not be ALL Peek's fault or lack of mental ability. One of the complaints/problems with Fangio's defensive schemes over the years is that it is VERY complicated. I suspect that Peek may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but you put him in an overly complicated system, you will have issues with him having a tough time catching on. Then couple that with a "Wildman" attitude, and lots of things go wrong. Maybe this is the year he pulls it all together. I sure hope so.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
In my mind, Peek is as much a question mark as Wand. I am not that imprssed with him. He has made a couple of plays. he jumped around after them and got some fans excited. As for him being a dynamic pass rusher , I have my doubts. Normally, a team's best passer rusher forces his way on to the field no matter his short comings.

He is fast and athletic which are the physical qualities of many pass rushers, but I just have not seen it on the field. Of all the players, I hope that I am wrong on it is him.
We think alike on this one.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #23
TommyS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominickDavisFan76
OK all these threads ive read so far are about peek, talk about someone else, ya we know he will have to step up this year if we can even think about the word "Playoffs" so what do u ppl think about our draft picks???? :brickwall
sorry fella, you're two months too late for the draft discussion.

johnson, mathis, morency, all get a lot of 'column inches' on these boards.
TommyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #24
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
The whole LB crew is the key cause:

4) Will Babin be late on every pass coverage like last year.

We MUST remember that Babin was playing as a rookie and will show improvement this season.
BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #25
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vambo, the Marble Eye
-What does "unable to handle the rigors and adjustments of playing full-time" mean?
I don't know, because I never saw him play full-time.

I hope he proves all the naysayers wrong.
Old 07-27-2005   #26
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip
I don't know, because I never saw him play full-time.

I hope he proves all the naysayers wrong.

I'm with you, Tulip
Old 07-29-2005   #27
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Capers on peek and anderson

Here are comments from the press conference...Note how much time is spent on Charlie anderson

On the outside pass rush and whether or not they can be productive without much experience:

“I will be very excited watching those two guys (Antwan Peek and Jason Babin) along with Charlie Anderson because I know how important that position is and how important those guys are for us to move forward in our defense. We drafted Jason (Babin) and we really put him in a really tough situation last year where he was making a position move. We put him as a starter on day one and we have Antwan (Peek) around here with a couple years learning the position. He has been maybe our most impactful special teams player with his speed and explosiveness. We were not able to really work him in on a lot of team things; we were cautious with his shoulder through the spring. I think he took part in all the seven-on-seven and those types of things. He will come into camp bigger and stronger than he’s been. Antwan plays so hard that he normally loses weight through the course of the season. Even Charlie Anderson, he made some big plays through the course of the season. Remember him scooping the ball up at Chicago for the touchdown. He is an athletic guy. He falls in the same category. He was a defensive end at Ole Miss. You got two rookie guys out there playing and Antwan really played less than twenty percent of the time for us on defense. We got three young guys and I am really excited about these three guys. They all have athletic ability and explosiveness. I think all three of them will be much better players than they’ve been at any point in time. We will be young and we have to do a good job on those guys and I expect them, we have to get plays out of that position, and I think we can do it.”

On players making big plays vs. consistency:

“Well you’d like to have both, but you have but you have to get some big plays out of those positions. I think Antwan (Peek) has been a guy that has had big plays on special teams and he’s had some big plays rushing the passer. Charlie Anderson has had some and Jason will have some. Normally I think young guys when they get out there, one of the things we’ve been through the first three years, we take a lot of young guys and put them out on the field where they’ve played from day one where if they were with a more established team, they wouldn’t make it on that field that first year. The normal procedure is you train them as special teams players and bring them more along the progression like Antwan than with Jason Babin. Antwan Peek has been in here for two years and we expect this to be the year where and steps up, goes out, and makes the same kind of plays on defense that he makes on special teams.”
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read