Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-13-2010   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wolf6151 Final Mock before the Draft.

1. Kyle Wilson-CB, it's no secret that CB is our biggest need and although Earl Thomas is a great player, CB is a far bigger need than FS. I also don't believe all this talk about Thomas being used as a CB. He might be able to cover a slot receiver in a nickle or dime package but he's no where near ready to be a #1 CB in the NFL and we need a #1 CB. If he could play CB Mack Brown would have had him doing it.
Alternative pick: Devin McCourty-CB

2. Jon Asamoah-OG, this is also a no brainer pick that even Kubiak and Smith should be able to handle. Interior O-line is a huge need for us and Asamoah should excel in the ZBS thus improving the running game and pass protection. Another no brainer pick as long as they don't try to over think the situation.
Alternative pick: Ben Tate-RB

3. Ben Tate-RB, this might require a little luck. I think he's the 2nd best RB in the draft and best RB for our system. Downhill runner with good power, good speed, breaks tackles, good blocker, good receiver, perfect player for the Texans. Another no brainer pick.
Alternative pick: Marshall Newhouse-OG

4. Myron Lewis-CB/FS, this guy is a CB but most project him as a FS in the NFL. Very athletic with very good speed, great size, and coverage ability and very intelligent so learning the NFL system shouldn't be that hard for him. Also had good college production.
Alternative pick: Robert Johnson-FS

5. Corey Peters-DT, this was the hardest pick of the entire mock, a late round DT ain't easy. I first considered Jay Ross but he'll be a backup DT in situational downs. Peters has good speed and had much better college production than Ross. He's an UT like Okoye but I don't think we'll go for a big NT unless Dan Williams falls to us in the 1st round. This pick might also make Okoye nervous and improve his play. 5th round DT's are hungry to make the team and should put forth maximum effort thus making Okoye nervous.
Alternative pick: Jay Ross-DT.

6. Barry Church-SS, good depth behind Pollard and should make Ferguson and Barber expendable. Should also be outstanding on special teams. There's little film on this guy but what I've seen impresses me. Late round fliers on small school players aren't very risky this late in the draft since we're not relying on him to start.
Alternative pick: Walter McFadden-CB.

6. Zac Robinson-QB, he's got a good arm and mobility and should develop nicely on the practice squad. I also don't think Orlavsky will be here after next year and this should give Robinson time to develop into a good backup QB.
Alternative pick: Kade Weston-DT.

7. David Gettis-WR, I don't remember who it was that turned me onto this guy but he's got decent size, speed, and good college production. Hopefully he makes Andre Davis and his grossly overpaid contract expendable.

Well that's my final mock before the draft, it's not perfect but I think it's realistic. Let's hear it.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010   #2
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 Final Mock before the Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
5th round DT's are hungry to make the team and should put forth maximum effort thus making Okoye nervous.
Well, to be fair, in Okam's case, I think he's just plain hungry..

Other than that, I could get behind this draft! Really hoping Asamoah makes it to 51, that would be great.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

If you definitely need interior OL and DL then why just draft one of each and then spend picks on essentially non-needs at QB and WR? Just spend those picks on whatever two positions are most in question.
Old 04-14-2010   #4
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rds 1-4 were very solid. Although I like Lewis, Johnson is a favorite of mine.

There are only 2 things I would've done differently

1. I like a different type of DT. (Woods LSU) (Ivey Maryland) are that type.
2. Another late rd RB would be a must if I were Smithiak. (Coker is my favorite)
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 139861 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. Kyle Wilson-CB, it's no secret that CB is our biggest need and although Earl Thomas is a great player, CB is a far bigger need than FS. I also don't believe all this talk about Thomas being used as a CB. He might be able to cover a slot receiver in a nickle or dime package but he's no where near ready to be a #1 CB in the NFL and we need a #1 CB. If he could play CB Mack Brown would have had him doing it.
Alternative pick: Devin McCourty-CB

2. Jon Asamoah-OG, this is also a no brainer pick that even Kubiak and Smith should be able to handle. Interior O-line is a huge need for us and Asamoah should excel in the ZBS thus improving the running game and pass protection. Another no brainer pick as long as they don't try to over think the situation.
Alternative pick: Ben Tate-RB

3. Ben Tate-RB, this might require a little luck. I think he's the 2nd best RB in the draft and best RB for our system. Downhill runner with good power, good speed, breaks tackles, good blocker, good receiver, perfect player for the Texans. Another no brainer pick.
Alternative pick: Marshall Newhouse-OG

4. Myron Lewis-CB/FS, this guy is a CB but most project him as a FS in the NFL. Very athletic with very good speed, great size, and coverage ability and very intelligent so learning the NFL system shouldn't be that hard for him. Also had good college production.
Alternative pick: Robert Johnson-FS

5. Corey Peters-DT, this was the hardest pick of the entire mock, a late round DT ain't easy. I first considered Jay Ross but he'll be a backup DT in situational downs. Peters has good speed and had much better college production than Ross. He's an UT like Okoye but I don't think we'll go for a big NT unless Dan Williams falls to us in the 1st round. This pick might also make Okoye nervous and improve his play. 5th round DT's are hungry to make the team and should put forth maximum effort thus making Okoye nervous.

6. Barry Church-SS, good depth behind Pollard and should make Ferguson and Barber expendable. Should also be outstanding on special teams. There's little film on this guy but what I've seen impresses me. Late round fliers on small school players aren't very risky this late in the draft since we're not relying on him to start.
Alternative pick: Walter McFadden-CB.

6. Zac Robinson-QB, he's got a good arm and mobility and should develop nicely on the practice squad. I also don't think Orlavsky will be here after next year and this should give Robinson time to develop into a good backup QB.
Alternative pick: Kade Weston-DT.

7. David Gettis-WR, I don't remember who it was that turned me onto this guy but he's got decent size, speed, and good college production. Hopefully he makes Andre Davis and his grossly overpaid contract expendable.

Well that's my final mock before the draft, it's not perfect but I think it's realistic. Let's hear it.
Wilson- great pick & some say will be better than Haden by years end.
Asamoah was on my earlier mocks & should fit right in. Some say short arms but that has not slowed Eric Winston.
Tate: good pick at #81 if there.
Lewis I just can't get a read on him. Might be better at FS

5. 6A & 6B are reasonable picks.

David Gettis WR to my knowledge I was first on MB to mock him. His stats are not great but his size/speed are very good and should be a target in red zone.
Old 04-14-2010   #6
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I love the first 4 picks. Not really up to date on 5, 6A, and 7.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Rds 1-4 were very solid. Although I like Lewis, Johnson is a favorite of mine.

There are only 2 things I would've done differently

1. I like a different type of DT. (Woods LSU) (Ivey Maryland) are that type.
2. Another late rd RB would be a must if I were Smithiak. (Coker is my favorite)

1. I thought that over as well but I think the Texans will get DelJuan Robinson back this year from injury and Shaun Cody didn't play that bad last year. Cody wasn't great but he wasn't bad either and with him the Texans improved their run defense immensely. I'm hoping Peters will be a good backup to Okoye and push him for playing time. In the 5th round that's what you look for, guys that can step in if there's an injury to the starter or push the starter for playing time.

2. I don't see the need for another RB late in the draft. We've got a team full of young RB's. Slaton, Johnson, Moats, Foster, and Henry are all young. Moats is the old man of the bunch at 27 yoa. I don't think we need any more depth at RB, what we need is starters. A new RB, hopefully Tate, Slaton, Moats, and Foster will be your 4 active RB's. I just think that a late round guy would be a waste because he's not going to play.
Sponsored links
Old 04-14-2010   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
would like to just focus on your DT pick. intersting, I like the fact he has good football intelligence & long arms both very important, more so than size weight. Seems like a pretty good selection. I have another tackle I'm really getting geeked about but I cannot disclose his name with ongoing "Fast Mock" in progress but you'll know soon enough
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #9
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
would like to just focus on your DT pick. intersting, I like the fact he has good football intelligence & long arms both very important, more so than size weight. Seems like a pretty good selection. I have another tackle I'm really getting geeked about but I cannot disclose his name with ongoing "Fast Mock" in progress but you'll know soon enough

Is your secret obsession a 5th round pick, and how long til we know his name?

I like Peters speed for a 300+ lbs. DT.
Old 04-14-2010   #10
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I have a couple low rand DTs that I really like too. This is a great draft.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #11
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Here's part of why I picked Corey Peters in the 5th round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdl71jEdd2k

He's articulate, which is rare now a days for alot of college players. He seems to have good character so we shouldn't have to worry about him getting into trouble and he seems motivated and determined. He seems to me to be a great guy to have in the locker room on your team. It also doesn't hurt that he ran a 4.90 in the 40 at 6'03" and 302 lbs. on his Pro Day.
Old 04-27-2010   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is your secret obsession a 5th round pick, and how long til we know his name?

I like Peters speed for a 300+ lbs. DT.
you now have your answer, his name is Earl Mitchell, Arizona 6016 296

http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/4/...is-one-of-your

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read