Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2010   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Should Gary Kubiak give Matt Schaub more freedom at QB

After seeing a lot of discussion of a certain non-play (Colts vs Texans near 2 minute warning at half time), the idea that Schaub does not have enough control over the offense has come up.

I agree. I think Schaub proved he was a decent QB (Who has some decision making problems), who generally knows whats going on in a game. Should Schaub be allowed to audible out of a play at the line of scrimmage? Absolutely. Does Kubiak allow this? As far as I know, he doesn't. He calls the plays and they run what he calls.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-21-2010   #2
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should Gary Kubiak give Matt Schaub more freedom at QB

Yes he should be able to call audibles at times, especially when he sees and all out blitz coming!
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans offense isn't designed to allow audibles. The first 15-20 plays are scripted to begin with. And in the Denver ZBS WCO offense, each play called is designed to affect the next one. So two runs for 3 yards may look like failure, but it is called with purpose to set up play-action down the line. Allowing audibles would defeat this purpose.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
The Texans offense isn't designed to allow audibles. The first 15-20 plays are scripted to begin with. And in the Denver ZBS WCO offense, each play called is designed to affect the next one. So two runs for 3 yards may look like failure, but it is called with purpose to set up play-action down the line. Allowing audibles would defeat this purpose.
I think having a design for each game offensively is fine, but I think that allowing one of the top passing QB's to be able to audible out of what looks like a potential sack or broken play would give the Texans offense some elasticity and not be so predictable.
Old 04-21-2010   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I am pro-choice when it comes to Shaub running the offense from the line.
Old 04-21-2010   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think having a design for each game offensively is fine, but I think that allowing one of the top passing QB's to be able to audible out of what looks like a potential sack or broken play would give the Texans offense some elasticity and not be so predictable.
I agree, I'm just doing my best to mimic what the powers-that-be would say.
Old 04-21-2010   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if Schaub sees a mismatch, he has the ability to capitalize on it. I forget which game it was but Schaub saw a mismatch with Andre Johnson, called an audible and hit a strike for a huge gain.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2010   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think if Schaub sees a mismatch, he has the ability to capitalize on it. I forget which game it was but Schaub saw a mismatch with Andre Johnson, called an audible and hit a strike for a huge gain.
So Schaub is allowed to audible during games?
Old 04-21-2010   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Are you sure he was calling for an audible or was he motioning some one? I'm guessing its the latter, the Texans have someone in motion before every snap, another reason why they don't audible. This tells Schaub whose in man or zone coverage.
Old 04-21-2010   #10
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering that it's one of the top passing offenses in the NLF I think we should change everything about it. Clearly it's not working.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Considering that it's one of the top passing offenses in the NLF I think we should change everything about it. Clearly it's not working.
Are you saying that the QB not having the ability to call a different play at the line is the lynchpin of our offense and we should keep it exactly the same as we had last season because that was most Schaub has ever passed for? I don't think anybody is calling to scrap the play-action pass, but would our offense be really hampered that much with Schaub having access to audibles?

I guess what we're really asking is, Is Schaub smart enough to have that responsibility?
Old 04-21-2010   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My understanding of Kubiak's comments on this is, if every player does what he is supposed to do, there would be no need for an audible. Well, yeah, but you can not let your QB get killed as few plays are ran perfectly.
Old 04-21-2010   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
So Schaub is allowed to audible during games?
My observation is that Schaub started making those kinds of decisions, regardless of what Kubiak wanted over the last 6 weeks of the season. He really took over that offense.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #14
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

How do you even script 15-20 plays in the first place when you don't know what the down and distance will be?
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #15
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

With the "Murderer's Row" of a schedule, Kubiak BETTER make damn sure
this team plays with urgency at the start of the season. If that means
letting Schaub lead this team, then so be it.

Good luck Texans fans. We're gonna need it.

......that schedule.

(Let's pray.)
Please, God. Please let the schedule mean we make the post season, without
anybody discrediting our path to the playoffs!
Old 04-21-2010   #16
sbalderrama
Rookie

Rep Power: 96 sbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respectedsbalderrama is a quality contributor and well respected

I seem to remember a quote from Gary in some interview where he said that multiple methods of execution are available in their offensive formations; so while it may not look like Schaub is calling audibles in the vein of Peyton histrionics, I don't think he's completely set in stone on every play.
sbalderrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Maybe Schaub did so well, because he didn't have to do a lot of thinking.

I'm trusting Kubiak, I'm sure when Schaub is ready, he'll let him do whatever. If I were a QB guru, I could tell you when that will be.

As it is now, let him continue to successfully coach Matt to a successful season, and let's question the decisions that don't help our team become the most prolific passing attack in the NFL.
Old 04-21-2010   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonhed View Post
How do you even script 15-20 plays in the first place when you don't know what the down and distance will be?
They have a play for all situations.
John Madden wrote in a book that Bill Wash (former Niners coach) scripted 3 quarters every game toward the end of his career.
And the PC wasn't anything quike like today in the late 80s.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That MS had become quite good against the blitz probably indicates that the hot routes quickly became the priority; ie. there must be some sort of preset signals???
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010   #20
u_got_stomped
waterboy

I heard on The Blitz that Schuab actually goes to the line with more than one play and then picks a play from what he sees the opp defense is doing
u_got_stomped is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read