Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-03-2010   #21
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Post Pro-Day AWTBEER MOCK DRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
intersting, some may remember I had Scott on my radar last years draft for the Texans in 6th/7th. but his durability is a major concern while Leonard is a fullback.

We also felt that Spiller represented BPA #21
That is probably true, but I don't know if Cinci would have the same grades. Are they going to go BPA or need?
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
That is probably true, but I don't know if Cinci would have the same grades. Are they going to go BPA or need?
I guess they could wait until the season like the Texans did last year to find that out
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #23
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 90450 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I guess they could wait until the season like the Texans did last year to find that out
??? Didn't the Texans last year have the availabilty of taking BPA that also fit the top need?

Who did you have rated higher than Cushing that was still available?
Old 04-04-2010   #24
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

i think the Spliller to Cincy pick makes sense. The offense is anemic, and Spiller can do so much. He can run, h can catch out of the backfield or lined up wide, and he can return kicks. If he is there, I see the Bungles taking him.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #25
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
i think the Spliller to Cincy pick makes sense. The offense is anemic, and Spiller can do so much. He can run, h can catch out of the backfield or lined up wide, and he can return kicks. If he is there, I see the Bungles taking him.
Yup, that was our thinking too. Spiller represents an additional weapon for Palmer to utilize. The Bengals can line up Benson as HB and put Spiller in the slot and create matchup problems. This is a good spot for him and it represents good value.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #26
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
??? Didn't the Texans last year have the availabilty of taking BPA that also fit the top need?

I think BL is referring to the 4th round last year when we took TE Antony Hill rather than a RB like Andre Brown or Gartrell Johnson.
Or that we took Safety Troy Nolan in the 7th rather than Rashad Jennings.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 04-04-2010   #27
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I think BL is referring to the 4th round last year when we took TE Antony Hill rather than a RB like Andre Brown or Gartrell Johnson.
Or that we took Safety Troy Nolan in the 7th rather than Rashad Jennings.
Ok I can understand that. But in the first round do you think Cinci will really take BPA over need?

Because I think they can pick up a RB later, but they really need a TE and S bad and the first round may be the only place they can be sure to get one of the top.
Old 04-04-2010   #28
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok I can understand that. But in the first round do you think Cinci will really take BPA over need?

Because I think they can pick up a RB later, but they really need a TE and S bad and the first round may be the only place they can be sure to get one of the top.
Is Gresham that good of a TE he'd go mid first round? Especially coming off a serious injury.

Safeties also are considered to have low positional value.

Spiller I think is the kind of elite talent that you throw out the value ratings on and just take based on him being a game changer.
Old 04-04-2010   #29
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Is Gresham that good of a TE he'd go mid first round? Especially coming off a serious injury.

Safeties also are considered to have low positional value.

Spiller I think is the kind of elite talent that you throw out the value ratings on and just take based on him being a game changer.
Yeah, Gresham is expected to go mid first. And Gronkowski and Hernandez may be gone before their 2nd.

If one of the top 3 safties fell to 21, I think Cinci would be all over it. I think they are really hoping for Mays to be there. They have an affinity for USC guys.
Old 04-04-2010   #30
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:

Sure Cincy needs a TE and a FS, but there is only one player in this draft like Spiller. He is a unique talent that has eerie similarities to Chris Johnson. If you pass on Spiller here you will not find anyone else like him in this draft. At this point he was BPA, and Cincy took him.

TE and S can be addressed later in the draft. Berry and Thomas will be off the board so you are right that Mays would be available. The problem though is that Mays projects to a SS not a FS and what the Bengals really need is FS. We thought Mays would get exposed way too much in a 4-3 but his flaws would be covered substantially by having that extra MLB playing in front of him. Gresham would be a solid choice, but they could get Gronkowski with their second.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 04-04-2010   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
actually both teams courted Cedric Benson, who turned out to be a huge hit for them, like Pollard was for the Texans. the surprising thing was once Rick Smith & the Texans failed to address RB in free agency, they also failed to draft one.

I wanted Shonn Greene in the 2nd & was mad as hell they passed on him for Connor Barwin. Shonn would have had a major impact for the Texans more so than Barwin (who is developing nicely). The difference we're having is you see Cincinnati back-field as set while I see this as an opportunity to add a prime time playmaker who would fit their open offense, offer depth & development opportunites for the RB corps plus shifting workload off Benson to keep him fresh. Before being picked up Benson was always banged up rushing for 747, 674, 647 & 272 prior four years, not excatly overwhelming. Inactive for Games 10-11 due to a hip flexor strain that sidelined him in first half Nov. 15 at Pittsburgh … Also inactive for Game 16, Jan. 3 at New York Jets (rested for the playoffs) whom they faced & lost to 24-14. The rest served him well as he carried the rushing attack (none of the other backs could produce) for 169 yards, one TD on 21 carries (Shonn Greene had the same number of carries & TD's for 135 yards). When Scott got his chance due to Cedric hip flexor strain weeks 10-11-12 he was very productive in that offense but could not sustain it because of a foot injury (durability concerns). Brian Leonard had a whopping 84 total rushing yards for 2009. mostly used in pass pro & receiver out of the backfield 30 receptions for 217 yds. So I do see this as a serious need & Spiller would be a perfect fit not just for a Carson Palmer offense but for upgrading the overall quality of the position.

Quote:
I would assume that Cushing was bpa on their board. turns out he should of been bpa on teams picking before the Texans too. I had Matthews rated equally with his connections the choice by a nose.

Last edited by beerlover; 04-04-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 04-04-2010   #32
JB
Old Curmudgeon

I have no problem with ya'll putting Spiller there in your mock. I just don't believe that in the real draft they would take him there.

But I also don't believe he would be available there....
Old 04-04-2010   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Any fans here, feel free to chip in, if C.J. Spiller was available #21 would you pass on him?
Old 04-04-2010   #34
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Any fans here, feel free to chip in, if C.J. Spiller was available #21 would you pass on him?
A few thoughts on Spiller from bengals fans here:
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...b-4eec386089ed
Old 04-04-2010   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
A few thoughts on Spiller from bengals fans here:
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...b-4eec386089ed
I'm still hoping for a more direct connect from this board but that might very well represent the fan bases feeling, thanks for looking that up. interesting they also see him available @ #21, yes it has to be tempting, not to take bpa & draft for need is a draft constant.
Old 04-04-2010   #36
awtysst
Draft Guru

I would like to point out that the Donovan McNabb trade to DC makes our selection of OT Trent Williams look even more brilliant than it already was!

Go Beerlover and awtysst!

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 04-04-2010   #37
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I would like to point out that the Donovan McNabb trade to DC makes our selection of OT Trent Williams look even more brilliant than it already was!

Go Beerlover and awtysst!
excellent point doctor awtysst
Old 04-09-2010   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Rusty Smith QB Florida Atlantic
DraftNasty.com Description
Florida Atlantic Head Coach Howard Schnellenberger compares Smith to his former pupil Bernie Kosar (Miami, FL. '83). The 6'5" whiz kid led the 'Canes to the national championship as a freshman. Kosar ended his pro career with a 124 TD/87 Int ratio. He led the Cleveland Browns to the AFC Championship game three times. He later won a Super Bowl as an effective backup for Troy Aikman in Dallas. In Kosar's second year in the league, he threw for nearly 4,000 yards and had a 17 TD/10 Int ratio. If Smith comes close to equaling those totals, it will surprise more than a few. We feel the comparison between the two is fair, but believe Smith has a stronger arm at the same stage of development. We're not sure he can dissect a defense with the same ease as Bernie. It is real easy to forget that Kosar graduated as a 3rd year sophomore.
still looking like solid value to me
Old 04-09-2010   #39
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
still looking like solid value to me
Another good article on him:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...,2398767.story
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
oops wrong mock was thinking our second Texans Mock Draft 2.0

Quote:
Round 7: Florida Atlantic QB Rusty Smith, 6’5” 224 lbs

With the departure of Grossman, we decided that another QB was in the cards for the Texans. We wanted a player with the physical talent that just needed to be groomed by a QB guru (Kubiak). Rusty Smith is that guy. He has prototypical height, and has the frame to add another 10-15 pounds. Smith is a very intelligent player, something we all know Kubiak requires from his Qbs. The big problem with Smith (besides the shoulder injury that ended his senior season, dropping him from a 4th/5th round prospect to a 7th/UDFA) is his throwing motion. It is not pretty. Smith’s motion needs to be shortened considerably, and his release point needs to be higher. Despite that, Smith is a very accurate passer, both sitting in the pocket and on the move. He has adequate arm strength, not cannon, but good enough to make all the required throws. And maybe with some mechanics work, he could gain a bit of strength. Rusty Smith is an ideal QB for Kubiak to groom for the future.

*We had a very heavy debate deciding between Mathews and Thomas, and concluded that both would be good picks, but Thomas would be better value. We have a write-up of Mathews because of the very real possibility that the Texans draft him. Obviously, this would change the rest of the picks in the draft.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70584

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read