Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-12-2010   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lance Zierlein - Mock Draft Version 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I agree that Haden's size shouldn't make an impact on his draft status. And that Haden has had an outstanding collegiate career. But, there may be some underlying reasons (aside from his combine 40 time) that could cause Haden to slip to the bottom half of the 1st round.

1) Haden played a lot of underneath coverage at Florida. The Gators were able to put a lot of pressure on the opposing QBs, thus leaving a shorter field to cover. If you were to describe Haden's play thus far, it would be similar to a cover 2 type CB. And I don't know how much cover 2 the Texans plan to play.

2) The SEC, while a tough division, has had mediocre passing offenses recently. Haden rarely had to face the type of passing attack a Big 12 corner saw on a weekly basis. OK, he shut down Julio Jones. How good is Julio Jones and the Tide passing game, anyway?

I wouldn't be upset at the Texans selecting a productive CB like Haden. But, I won't get too upset if they wait a round or two, either. There should be enough CBs in this draft to grab one later.

OK, just how much Indiana (Pa.) tape is available to watch?
Quote:
Start watching the video from 5:33-7:01. Pay attention to the punt return. It's awesome. Then skip ahead to 11:09-11:35 to watch another return. Finally skip to 15:08 to listen to the audio on the punt return so you can hear how we lifted the team and the crowd with that return.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIWem6CLE-s
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010   #22
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about the whole draft but as for the Texans pick I don't like it. Ryan Mathews is a good player but I don't see RB as a 1st round need. I think we can get someone comparable in the 2nd or 3rd round. Also I question the level of competition that Mathews faced at Fresno St..
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Everyone looks good on a youtube video. The guy looks like a man among boys. What would he look like versus SEC or Big 12 competition? That's what's so difficult to ascertain.

The Texans took a smaller college prospect a couple of drafts ago. I'd hope they would go with a more proven player that has competed against the best college has to offer. This guy is likely a long term project and the Texans need to see results now.
Old 03-13-2010   #24
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
2) The SEC, while a tough division, has had mediocre passing offenses recently. Haden rarely had to face the type of passing attack a Big 12 corner saw on a weekly basis. OK, he shut down Julio Jones. How good is Julio Jones and the Tide passing game, anyway?
I agree with this point to the Nth degree. SEC secondary players are talented, but not tested on a regular basis. However, he did go up against Tebow in practice every day.
Old 03-13-2010   #25
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Lance Zierlein - Mock Draft Version 3

Quote:
I like how he broke tackles, but I really like how he actually waited for a couple more blockers on that punt return
Old 03-13-2010   #26
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1965 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I don't know about the whole draft but as for the Texans pick I don't like it. Ryan Mathews is a good player but I don't see RB as a 1st round need. I think we can get someone comparable in the 2nd or 3rd round. Also I question the level of competition that Mathews faced at Fresno St..
The Texans were 30th in rushing last year, so I can certainly see running back as a first round need. I would not be upset at all if they selected Mathews and went secondary in another round.
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Tiger View Post
I like how he broke tackles, but I really like how he actually waited for a couple more blockers on that punt return
I can still remember the first time I watched Randy Moss leading up to his draft coming out of Marshall http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=A6kM...eature=related some character issues back then I beleive? but elite prospects no matter where or which conference they perform in once you see them play you never forget it. If you follow the draft process its easy to get carried away because you've seen this before, somewhere, you just know the kid is going to be special
Old 03-13-2010   #28
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I can still remember the first time I watched Randy Moss leading up to his draft coming out of Marshall http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=A6kM...eature=related some character issues back then I beleive? but elite prospects no matter where or which conference they perform in once you see them play you never forget it. If you follow the draft process its easy to get carried away because you've seen this before, somewhere, you just know the kid is going to be special
I see him as a high-risk/high-reward type player. He has a very, very high ceiling. Big, athletic, could possibly play FS or CB, and has value returning kicks.

However, as with all small school prospects, there is that inherent risk. He looks great playing against D2 players, would it be different against the FBS? He has the physical skills, but the mental make-up? I dont think the Texans can afford this type of pick this early, as close to the playoffs as they are.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I see him as a high-risk/high-reward type player. He has a very, very high ceiling. Big, athletic, could possibly play FS or CB, and has value returning kicks.

However, as with all small school prospects, there is that inherent risk. He looks great playing against D2 players, would it be different against the FBS? He has the physical skills, but the mental make-up? I dont think the Texans can afford this type of pick this early, as close to the playoffs as they are.
there is inherent risk with any player regardless DIV 1 vs DIV 2 they all have to lace it up, strap it on & see who has what it takes. I have no reservation that Awasi will make it somewhere in the NFL. As we work on our 2nd Texans Mock Draft this was discussed (agreed to play it safe) some people think just because he played @ a small school his draft stock should reflect lesser competition faced, in most cases I would agree but we should always be open to exceptions of this rule, some players are just late bloomers or in difficult situations they have to overcome. one thing that's so compelling about the NFL draft is you really get a sense of cream rising to the top, just look @ what DeMarcus Ware, TROY or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie TENNESSEE STATE have accomplished.
Old 03-13-2010   #30
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
there is inherent risk with any player regardless DIV 1 vs DIV 2 they all have to lace it up, strap it on & see who has what it takes. I have no reservation that Awasi will make it somewhere in the NFL. As we work on our 2nd Texans Mock Draft this was discussed (agreed to play it safe) some people think just because he played @ a small school his draft stock should reflect lesser competition faced, in most cases I would agree but we should always be open to exceptions of this rule, some players are just late bloomers or in difficult situations they have to overcome. one thing that's so compelling about the NFL draft is you really get a sense of cream rising to the top, just look @ what DeMarcus Ware, TROY or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie TENNESSEE STATE have accomplished.
Remember, I spend alot of time scouting the small school players. I am very familiar with Ansah, and feel that his "bust factor" is higher than most players. He was so much more athletic than his competition, he did not have to worry about technique. I worry about his physicality. He reaches for tackles instead of really putting his body into it. Like he knows what he should do, but he does not really want to do it.

High upside, but high risk.
Old 03-13-2010   #31
beerlover
Site Contributor

Lance had Daniel Jeremiah, of "Move The Sticks" on The Draft Show last week & how is this for nightmare scenero -

Quote:
17.49ers- K. Wilson CB Boise St- Best press corner in the draft
18.Steelers- J. Haden CB Florida- He can go higher if he runs better at his pro day
19.Falcons- K. Jackson CB Alabama- A real fast riser that is excellent on tape
20.Texans- D. McCourty CB Rutgers- Fast, physical press corner that is also a stud on special teams
there could be a run on CB's just before the Texans select, both Earl Thomas & Ryan Matthews are off the board -

Quote:
10.Jaguars- R. Matthews RB Fresno St- Copying the Panthers with a deadly duo at RB
11.Broncos- E. Thomas FS Texas- This gives them some youth at Safety and a capable Nickel CB
http://www.movethesticks.com/

who would you select now?

could Trent Williams still be available? & if so how tempting?
Old 03-13-2010   #32
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lance had Daniel Jeremiah, of "Move The Sticks" on The Draft Show last week & how is this for nightmare scenero -

there could be a run on CB's just before the Texans select, both Earl Thomas & Ryan Matthews are off the board -

I would be more tempted to go williams or pouncey both Olmen who play multiple spots. the problem is that with a run like this on CB, waiting until the 2nd might mean slim pickings there by the time the texans get back around.
Old 03-13-2010   #33
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Trade down. In my opinion, McCourty is a reach at 20. I prefer the idea of trading down later into the first or possibly out of the first round altogether and stockpiling picks. Then we can get better value for our picks and come away with more shells to fire.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010   #34
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw this on a mock recently and I want to hear yall's opinion:
What if Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, and Kyle Wilson are all there at 20. Probably would never happen, but who would you take?

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 03-13-2010   #35
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 40960 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
What if Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, and Kyle Wilson are all there at 20. Probably would never happen, but who would you take?
That would be a tough decision. Have to think about that one.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010   #36
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
You could not go wrong with any of those guys. It would be a win-win-win. Probably Haden though.
Old 03-13-2010   #37
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
That would be a tough decision. Have to think about that one.
Yup. Its a tough one. It comes down to, who do you have as the highest on your board. One strategy may have been to trade to 22. Then take who is left of the three, but the problem is 22 is NE and they rarely trade up, usually only down. I don't see them trading up in this scenario.

So, yeah, its a tough call.

Maybe we should pull a Minnesota, and write all three names on 3 separate cards. Wait for the first 2 to go and then quickly hand in the card for the player that is left?!

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 03-13-2010   #38
awtysst
Draft Guru

Here is the link to the mock where it happened.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2...iter=28&page=2

Texans took Haden at 20, Bengals took Thomas at 21, and Wilson went to the Cardinals at 26.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 03-13-2010   #39
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trade down. In my opinion, McCourty is a reach at 20. I prefer the idea of trading down later into the first or possibly out of the first round altogether and stockpiling picks. Then we can get better value for our picks and come away with more shells to fire.
What don't have an offer to trade down? What pick do you make?
Old 03-13-2010   #40
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Did Akwasi get invited to any major all star games so we could see him against comparable competition? I said it in the thread regarding him but i'll say it again: He fits the Smithiak mold (Tall athletic CB) that they've seemed to acquire every year (Bennett, Reeves (FA), Molden, then they still went CB just not in the same mold last year with Quinn/Mccain).

I think Smithiak believes they can never have enough tall athletic CBs. Maybe this is their version of the Tacks drafting RB every round until they hit a homerun (Chris Johnson)?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read