Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-01-2010   #41
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Here is my Mock 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Look I know Iupati was a little sloppy in his game at the senior bowl. And I know he's a grabber. But what I except verbatim is that a pro o line coach is not going to one bit of difficulty teaching this guy how to punch instead of grab. And with the OLTs such a mixed bag in this draft, and you're having trouble rushing the ball, a guy like Iupati gives you a yard of push with his first two steps. Make no mistake about it this guy is a rare athlete at 321. anyone taking him in the top fifteen would be well justified if they wanted a rushing attack in their back pocket next fall. My worst nightmare now is Iupati is going to end up in the AFC central.
You are dead on. There isn't any problems that he has shown on film that aren't coachable. Bad feet or lack of core strength aren't coachable.
LZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #42
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is that Iupati would help us overcome our severe lack of Samoans on the roster.
Old 03-01-2010   #43
LZ
Veteran

Rep Power: 5396 LZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respectedLZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The #20 pick is going to make the same money regardless of position and OD, Ryans and Mario are irrelevant to that issue.

I also know the difference between internet/radio myth and reality which is the Texans attempted to trade into the 1st to get DeAngelo Williams contrary to the "they won't draft a RB in the 1st" or "RB has limited value" myths. I'm not claiming they will take a RB in the 1st. Depends on how the players fall. But this mythology they are categorically against the idea is silly.
They DID want to trade into the first for DeAngelo Williams, but that was before Gibbs came in and installed his version of the zone and Casserly was still there. I'm not saying that won't take a RB in the first (because Matthews will probably be my pick for them in the post combine mock), but if Iupati and Matthews were both on the board, I'm not sure I don't go with the guard in that spot and try and trade up after Hardesty in round 2.
Old 03-01-2010   #44
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZ View Post
You are dead on. There isn't any problems that he has shown on film that aren't coachable. Bad feet or lack of core strength aren't coachable.
Lance. Can I get your thoughts on the corner back position?

And what do you think of Patrick Robinson? I feel he is undervalued and should be a solid first round selection, especially for a team that just lost one of their starting cornerbacks.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #45
LZ
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Lance. Can I get your thoughts on the corner back position?

And what do you think of Patrick Robinson? I feel he is undervalued and should be a solid first round selection, especially for a team that just lost one of their starting cornerbacks.
I defer completely on CBs to a scout buddy of mine who specializes in that position for his team. He thinks Robinson has as much pure talent at CB as anyone in the draft, but that he is inconsistent in his effort. The CB draft is deep though as I counted 10 possible starters within the first three rounds this year to about 5 or 6 last year.
Old 03-01-2010   #46
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

What would it cost draft pick wise to move from 20th to 12th?
Old 03-01-2010   #47
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
What would it cost draft pick wise to move from 20th to 12th?
Using Miami as the example, I think that really depends on how their draft board is set up. A hypothetical would be if they have Dez Bryant or Jason Pierre-Paul rated really highly and one is available, it may take a lot for them to move down because they covet them so highly. Maybe we swap 1sts and they require our 2nd rounder... if they trade at all.

Another hypothetical is if their absolute favorites are gone and they have a list of guys all rated really closely together. If they really feel that by trading down 8 spots they would still have a shot at several of these players (and their value is all real similar) they probably wouldn't require as much... or might prefer to trade down. In this case, maybe we swap 1sts, we give them our 2nd and they give us their 4th rounder.

Just my guess at least.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #48
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
& Ben Tate led the RB class in bench press, I'm not impressed. He plays too high in his stance, maybe that can be corrected? Against NFL talent he is going to be a holding machine, because he doesn't anchor, keeping his butt down & at least one foot on the ground, fast or not. I think he is best suited as a pulling guard in a power rushing attack, thats not at all what the Texans do.
Watched alot of film on Iupati have you??? Surely you didnt come to these conclusions from just the Senior Bowl and Combine??
Old 03-01-2010   #49
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wow, Lance , I'm gonna have to disagree with you on Iupati and the above opinion. Of course, that is what makes this so much fun; the debate and exchange of ideas. First, I have to side with BeerLover. We did quite a bit of research as he & I and RMARTIN 65 looked at Iupati @ #20. I see him more suited as a power bruiser for that type scheme. As you know, it takes more than quick feet in ZBS to be successful. His type OG can do it, in fact I have Newhouse from TCU our pick in 5th, just do not see Iupati doing it.

CB: I am hopeful Quin will be the #1 but not very hopeful. We need to draft CB that will replace DR and your pick of Wilson is a guy I have been pushing for long time. I think Gerhart, Matthews, Dixon or Dwyer should be there in 2nd. There are no other CB starters IMO. Closest would be Perrish Cox if Smith gets past his discipline issue.
Iupati would be great in the ZB scheme.
Old 03-02-2010   #50
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Watched alot of film on Iupati have you??? Surely you didnt come to these conclusions from just the Senior Bowl and Combine??
not alot maybe a couple games. I really don't know what to think of him anymore. Seems very raw to me, the potential is there, but I don't want the Texans to spend their 1st rd. pick on potential. Kubiak & Rick Smith have said it many times, even if its another LB, he has to be an immediate impact player. Despite several peoples opinons, which I respect, no way in hell does he fit the zone blocking mold, unless with the departure of Alex Gibbs we mutate into some kind of third dimension zone blocking scheme where size matters.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #51
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I could be wrong but I think KC needs a RT so Lance may have him penciled in there while Brandon Albert goes into year 3 @ LT.
Albert will be the Chiefs RT so they probably go after the top LT @ 5 but hopefully not the Iowa guy who's arms are too short just like the "can't miss"
guy, also from Iowa, who Oakland took a few years ago who busted
at OT.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #52
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Albert will be the Chiefs RT so they probably go after the top LT @ 5 but hopefully not the Iowa guy who's arms are too short just like the "can't miss"
guy, also from Iowa, who Oakland took a few years ago who busted
at OT.
Gallery never should have been put at LT. They almost ruined him with that move. Ever since they switched him to LG he has been a very good player.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #53
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for sharing as always, and terrific dialogue coming from all.

I have not seen the narrative form, but I keep looking at mocks and am stunned that the weak Big 12 is dominating the first round:
- Top 4 picks
- 6 of the first 10
- 10 of the first 21
Old 03-02-2010   #54
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Watched alot of film on Iupati have you???
Have you??? Really???

Let's just let everyone have their takes without being snide. There are no scouts here. Even LZ is a radio personality, not a scout. Hell, even scouts can be wrong.
Old 03-02-2010   #55
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Have you??? Really???

Let's just let everyone have their takes without being snide. There are no scouts here. Even LZ is a radio personality, not a scout. Hell, even scouts can be wrong.
From the late Joel Buchsbaum: "I don't evaluate players, I listen to the right people."

Scouts and teams with the best information out there get it wrong so we have very little chance ourselves.

I try to go into the draft process with an open mind. Know what is being said but not believing all the hype both negative and positive.
Old 03-03-2010   #56
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Gallery never should have been put at LT. They almost ruined him with that move. Ever since they switched him to LG he has been a very good player.
You should hear ND Kalu's thoughts on Gallery. He said the Raiders play Gallery only because the owner is making them due to the money he is making. Kalu said they scheme the blocking so that the OT and OC are protecting Gallery. Kalu said Gallery id one of the worse OGs in the league.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010   #57
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I know I'm late to the party, but anyone who thinks Iupati can't be a really good player in any scheme is really missing out. Drafting a guy of his size and athletic ability will only take whatever scheme the texans run to another level. His size,feet,arms are all great attributes to have. The texans are a primary zone team, but every team has some power runs inside. They may not have the classic g-power like what faneca perfected in pittsburgh, but at some point and time, every team runs a power. Iupati on the same side as brown would give them a power side to run and pick up quality yards. I know they're loyal to myers, but if they ever get a guy that can handle some of those bigger 0 techniques without getting rag dolled, the texans can be a really good running team. Unless a top 10 projected player is off the board, the texans would be a fool to pass iupati. They could come back in the 2nd rd and get a kareem jackson from alabama if they need to replace a corner.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read