Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-10-2010   #41
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 Draft Philosophy - Immediate impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Antonio Smith = 2nd tier FA signing

How many pro-bowl level players have the Texans ever signed?

Dont get your hopes up thinking McNair is going to sign a tier 1 FA.

It's not going to happen. IMHO
And that's fine stated as your opinion but that is not what McNair said. PS - they traded for Schaub who went to the pro-bowl. They attempted to sign Pace (and thank goodness that didn't happen). There aren't a lot of pro-bowl players on the market each year and typically they are past their prime.
Old 02-10-2010   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Haha I just hope Gerhart pans out wherever he ends up so we don't have to put you on suicide watch.
Now that's funny. WHen we did not get Rashad Jennings last year it took me an hour to clean up my living room. I threw draft stuff every where.
Old 02-10-2010   #43
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
No fight and I apologize ....
Not at all, I just didn't want you guys to think I was beating a dead horse. Anything like this would be a long shot at best, but stranger things have happened. I posted this on another board but another long shot would be trading our #20 to a team like Tamp Bay that has two second rounds (#3/#10). We could pick some very nice starters with a value combination we should get three rounds of picks either 2,3,4 or 2,3,5 depending on whether we take #3 or #10 in the 2nd. Again, maybe a pipe dream, but it could happen !
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #44
ToxicButt
Rookie

Rep Power: 140 ToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
It is a function of the Texans philosophy. The Texans have not prioitized the RB position via the draft, they've gone the free agent route instead, with unsatisfactory results. They said something like "we targeted Shonn Greene & Glen Coffee but both where off the board by our pick (3rd)". My fear is that history repeats itself.
That's exactly why I want them to take RB in the first or second round. since Spiller won't be there and I think there's a group of backs that follow, the best course is probably for them to take the highest rated back with the 2nd round pick.

I don't want them getting cute and waiting for the perfect value in Round 3, only to see that all the RB's in the group after Spiller are gone. There's a void of talent at RB and you have to put some resources there.
ToxicButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #45
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
I am not going to get in a fight with people that probably know more than I do about the subject, but I should have noted the link to my source. According to this site some really premium players may become UFA's if a new CBA is adopted. This means several pro-bowl guards may become available. They will still not be cheap but will not require picks. Obviously, this is a big IF.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/ol.html
The owners want a roll back. The union guy is an Obama protege'. Read 'hatchet man'. And he, Smith, wants the owners to open up their books. It's not looking too good for a season in 2011 nor an agreement. I just pretty much figure judging but whom the players chose to represent them, that there will be a lock out.
Old 02-10-2010   #46
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicButt View Post
That's exactly why I want them to take RB in the first or second round. since Spiller won't be there and I think there's a group of backs that follow, the best course is probably for them to take the highest rated back with the 2nd round pick.

I don't want them getting cute and waiting for the perfect value in Round 3, only to see that all the RB's in the group after Spiller are gone. There's a void of talent at RB that i know about. You have to put some resources there.

there fixed it for you big guy.
Old 02-11-2010   #47
ToxicButt
Rookie

Rep Power: 140 ToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respectedToxicButt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
there fixed it for you big guy.

What do you mean? We have a Slaton coming off neck surgery, Arian Foster and Ryan Moats. I think we may have the least talented/established stable of RB's in the league, if not the least, then in the bottom quarter.
ToxicButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #48
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Texans did a good job last year of drafting team captains and established college players. Only "project" was Barwin because it was his 2nd year on defense, but given the Antonio Smith signing it gave us the opportunity to add a true speed rusher which is another wrinkle this defense needed to add.

I hope its more of the same this season. I'd love to get another rookie with a Cushing-like impact!!!
What?? Those two TE's weren't project players?? They totally were.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
Not at all, I just didn't want you guys to think I was beating a dead horse. Anything like this would be a long shot at best, but stranger things have happened. I posted this on another board but another long shot would be trading our #20 to a team like Tamp Bay that has two second rounds (#3/#10). We could pick some very nice starters with a value combination we should get three rounds of picks either 2,3,4 or 2,3,5 depending on whether we take #3 or #10 in the 2nd. Again, maybe a pipe dream, but it could happen !
If i'm TB you are going to have to give me more than #20 for the #3 & #10 second round.
Old 02-11-2010   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicButt View Post

I don't want them getting cute and waiting for the perfect value in Round 3, only to see that all the RB's in the group after Spiller are gone. There's a void of talent at RB and you have to put some resources there.
Old 02-13-2010   #51
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 16928 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to get away from the running back chat, just wanted to post my thoughts...

I don't think Dunta Robinson will want to resign with us, I feel that he might want to test the waters and see what other teams are offering him before he comes running back to us.

As for running back, its important that we establish a run game but I think there is no need because Slaton proved to us that he has the ability to carry the rock like he did his rookie season and I also feel that we have something special in Arian Foster, now all we need is a goaline back.

Our defense needs to continue adding playmakers and the starters on our roster need to continue improving. If we can get Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, or Perrish Cox in the first round then that will either fix our CB or S need.

Next we need to upgrade the interior offensive line by drafting a center and a guard so we can open up running lanes for whomever our running back will be.

We also need a punter and kicker to provide some competition for our current starters.

Basically, there are a number of ways we can go but the 2010 NFL Draft will be amongst our best (hopefully)...

Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Hate to get away from the running back chat, just wanted to post my thoughts...

I don't think Dunta Robinson will want to resign with us, I feel that he might want to test the waters and see what other teams are offering him before he comes running back to us.

As for running back, its important that we establish a run game but I think there is no need because Slaton proved to us that he has the ability to carry the rock like he did his rookie season and I also feel that we have something special in Arian Foster, now all we need is a goaline back.

Our defense needs to continue adding playmakers and the starters on our roster need to continue improving. If we can get Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, or Perrish Cox in the first round then that will either fix our CB or S need.

Next we need to upgrade the interior offensive line by drafting a center and a guard so we can open up running lanes for whomever our running back will be.

We also need a punter and kicker to provide some competition for our current starters.

Basically, there are a number of ways we can go but the 2010 NFL Draft will be amongst our best (hopefully)...

Interesting thoughts. Since we can tag him, I tell DR go get your deal and bring us back a 2nd round pick & we will let you go. I think you vastly over stated Slaton's ability to run the ball last season. Foster did well in 3 games against questionable defense. I hope you are correct & if you are why isn't Foster your Red Zone guy? He is 6 foot 232 lbs. Thomas is a great FS and may be a CB also. I like Kyle Wilson CB and Perrish Cox but the latter has to get his head screwed on straight. I think you will find CHester Pitts starting the season at LG.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read