Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-10-2010   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bleacher Report Mock Scenarios

This goes through each round so open if you want more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...nd-most-likely

Quote:
First Round

Best Case: Earl Thomas (S-Texas). The Texans' secondary is a huge area of need and this was no more evident than when Eugene Wilson went down and the team had to rely on Dominique Barber and John Busing. There are no corners who could be available when the Texans pick that have me excited, and it may be a stretch to think Thomas could be there, but if he is, he can be the type of ball hawking safety the Texans have been lacking since, well, since forever.

Worst Case: Patrick Robinson (CB- Florida State). Following that same logic for Thomas, the Texans can't throw away their pick on a player who won't help. Robinson has prototypical size and great tangibles, but he hasn't been able to harness it and is not very physical. The Texans improved their defense this season when they became more physical and they always ask their corners to tackle well. They also play a lot of man coverage and Robinson was burnt too much in college. I also considered a myriad of running backs here as a first round pick here would not be the way to go.

Most Likely: Dan Williams (DT- Tennessee). I could have easily put this under "Best Case" as I think he's a great option. The Texans have needs at DT, but they do NOT need another 300 pound under tackle. They need a big body who can hold the point of attack, defend against the run and give Amobi and Mario a chance to run free. Williams would be a great option at 19 or 20—unlike Terrence Cody who needs oxygen after warm-ups.

Second Round

Best Case: Maurkice Pouncey (C- Florida). I know this won't happen as the coaches for some reason loves Chris Meyers, but the fact is, Meyers sucks. The team drafted Antoine Caldwell last year as a backup, but he's more suited for guard. Even if we keep him at center, Pouncey is athletic enough to be a great guard in the zone blocking scheme, so this could kill two birds with one stone. Of course, he may not make it to our pick.

Worst Case: Jonathan Dwyer (RB- Georgia Tech). I think Dwyer will be a really good pro, and is good value in the second round, but he just doesn't fit the Texans needs. The Texans need a running back who can step in and contribute soon, but Dwyer's time in the triple option mean he has very little experience catching the ball out of the backfield and in pass protection—two areas absolutely critical for a Houston back.

Most Likely: Morgan Burnett (S- Georgia Tech). If we assume that the Texans have drafted Dan Williams in the first, they still need a safety and Morgan Burnett can fill that need. I realize he doesn't have the tackling ability that I just bashed Robinson on, but he does have the ball skills. If the team can make him a better tackler, he might just fill that need.
Old 02-10-2010   #2
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bleacher Report Mock Scenarios

I hope the "Best Case" occurs in reality come April. Earl Thomas next to Bernard Pollard would make for an excellent tandem and Maurkice Pouncy will provide us with an immediate upgrade over Chris Myers (and I am sure Schaub would be happy with that!)
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me Dwyer and Pouncey and the running game just got alot better.

Schaub also gets hit less and has more time to throw with the threat of a run game.

This draft would put the Texans in the top 5 in red zone offense.

Another benefit is this draft would allow the Texans to do what the Saints did to the Mannings/Colts. Keep them off the field. If you want to compete on the same level as the Colts this is the fastest way to do it. IMO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #4
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Schaub also gets hit less and has more time to throw with the threat of a run game.

Another benefit is this draft would allow the Texans to do what the Saints did to the Mannings/Colts. Keep them off the field. If you want to compete on the same level as the Colts this is the fastest way to do it. IMO

You also need to play defense. The Texans continue to give more points against then points for. If our defense can hold the opponent from scoring on us then there is less pressure on our offense.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #5
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
You also need to play defense. The Texans continue to give more points against then points for. If our defense can hold the opponent from scoring on us then there is less pressure on our offense.
2009/Texans PF 24.2 PA 20.8
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eric Winston, Antoine Caldwell, Kasey Stoddard and Chris Myers fill out the rest of the line. It’s a bit early to make major adjustments because it’s still a very young group with the potential to gel as a unit in due time. However, Chris Myers is in the lower tier of starting Centers and may need to be replaced.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...ely-at-combine

The Texans don't need no stinking lineman. They's gonna gel....over time.

And what I know is Kubiak isn't going to replace Myers. He hasn't done it yet. I mean, it's a good idea Bleacher. But it ain't going to happen. They have three centers on the roster now. All Kubiak did for five months is cry about the lost rushing attack. They left Myers alone. If Iupati falls to twenty that'll be the pick. They get to leave Myers at center . Iupati and Winston provide punch to the right side. Caldwell and Studdard fight it out for Left guard.
Old 02-11-2010   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a big fan of CB Robinson, but could definitely live with Thomas or Williams. I'd be happy with Pouncey in the 2nd. I'm not sure how I'd feel with a RB that early. It wouldn't upset me, but I'd rather spend the pick on the trenches and go RB in the 3rd.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Burnett. Anyone?
Old 02-11-2010   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Would you settle for this ?

1) Earl Thomas
2) Maurkice Pouncey
3) Toby Gerhart

If Gerhart doesnt have a really good combine I think he may well fall that far. I dont really think Thomas will be there @ 20 but its best case in this instance , same for Pouncey.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
2009/Texans PF 24.2 PA 20.8
Yeah

With quality additiond to the OL and RB positions that number could jump to 30pts a game. Which would make them hard to beat.

There will be stater level qualitiy players at CB,S,DT in rds 3-4. Iwant the Texans to trade up into the 3rd rd. using future draft picks.

Rd1 Dwyer
Rd2Pouncey
Rd3 Spievey
Rd3 Burnett
Rd4 Troup

Doesn't look bad to me.
Old 02-11-2010   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

1) Earl Thomas
2) Maurkice Pouncey
3) Toby Gerhart

If Gerhart doesnt have a really good combine I think he may well fall that far. I dont really think Thomas will be there @ 20 but its best case in this instance , same for Pouncey.
Dunno about him, but I'd dot my drawers with that 1st day haul.

Yes, I still call rounds 1-3 the first day cuz that's the way it should be
Old 02-11-2010   #11
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

1) Earl Thomas
2) Maurkice Pouncey
3) Toby Gerhart

If not Gerhart I would love to have
Thomas
Pouncey
Tate
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If not Gerhart I would love to have
Thomas
Pouncey
Tate
This

Corrosion I'm worried about Gerharts fumbling problems. That's why I like Tate more. If Gerhart can solve his fumbling issues he would be my first choice.

I do believe this is a realistic 3 rd mock. Smithiak will have to choose between Gerhart and Tate. This is a good spot to be in and wichever one they chose between Gerhart and Tate I wouldn't have a problem with.
Old 02-11-2010   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This

Corrosion I'm worried about Gerharts fumbling problems. That's why I like Tate more. If Gerhart can solve his fumbling issues he would be my first choice.

I do believe this is a realistic 3 rd mock. Smithiak will have to choose between Gerhart and Tate. This is a good spot to be in and wichever one they chose between Gerhart and Tate I wouldn't have a problem with.
You know I was the first to point out how he carry's the ball - Im not real high on Gerhart - I just put him in as a spur of the moment thing .... I'd probably prefer Tate myself.
Filling those three positions is almost a must for this team. I think with each of those picks (the 3rd being either Tate or Gerhart) you get value at the pick and fill a need.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You know I was the first to point out how he carry's the ball - Im not real high on Gerhart - I just put him in as a spur of the moment thing .... I'd probably prefer Tate myself.
Filling those three positions is almost a must for this team. I think with each of those picks (the 3rd being either Tate or Gerhart) you get value at the pick and fill a need.
Thanks for pointing the fumbling thing about Gerhart out.
Old 02-11-2010   #15
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Gah, Bleacher Report is horrible, horrible, horrible. Unless the author is Robert Vega.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #16
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

If Pouncey lasts to us in the second round, I will as someone else to eat their shoe.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
If Pouncey lasts to us in the second round, I will as someone else to eat their shoe.
I dont thnk Pouncey will last unil the Texans 2nd rd pick.

Some alternatives Asamoah 2nd rd Kyle Calloway OL Iowa 3rd/4th
Old 02-11-2010   #18
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

My best case scenario would be:
1. Dan Williams-DT
2. Maurkice Pouncey-C/OG
3. Ben Tate-RB

My most likely would be:
1. Earl Thomas-FS, Kyle Wilson-CB, or C.J. Spiller-RB
2. Mike Johnson-OG
3. Ben Tate-RB

My worst case scenario would be:
1. Patrick Robinson-CB
2. Toby Gerhart-RB
3. WPA.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #19
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans have needs at DT, but they do NOT need another 300 pound under tackle. They need a big body who can hold the point of attack, defend against the run and give Amobi and Mario a chance to run free.
I'm not sure what they mean by "another" 300 lb DT. Okoye is listed at 315.

http://www.nfl.com/players/amobiokoy...e?id=OKO541722

He also looks like he might have grown an inch or two.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I'm not sure what they mean by "another" 300 lb DT. Okoye is listed at 315.

http://www.nfl.com/players/amobiokoy...e?id=OKO541722

He also looks like he might have grown an inch or two.

Thanks for the pic I guess. Do they not where cups anymore?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read