Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-07-2010   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: First Edition: rmartin65, badboy, beerlover Texans Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How did you guys determine who would be available at each pick? Did you go off a web site's list? Not disagreeing, just wondering.
For myself, any and/or all Draft Sites including paid subscriptions like OURLADS, this board of course, other message boards (check in regularly around NFL & measure pulse of their fans/oganization) & hours upon hours spent reviewing game film, not only during but after the season. Then all I do is break down positions & rank them in the order they should fall based on measureables, depth of position & team needs.

It really helped us to take our time & work through our differences. Key to finished product was a mutal passion for the Texans, we maintained our focus, kept true to basics like being realistic & accurate, not getting too high or low on any one player then just letting the process work itself through in a natural progression without agenda.

As stated earlier I really appreciate you, the mods for allowing us the freedom to exercise our passion & get our ideas out to the Texans fan base.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #42
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
IMO, our kickers will remain the same. Brown had his first bad year with Houston. Remember, Pittsburgh dumped him after one bad year and he was lights out for us for years. I think FA will be brought in to compete, in fact a note on another thread had team looking at one or two guys already. Matt Turk is almost eligible for Social Security but had another decent year.
I think this was Brown's 2nd bad year with us. Remember the 05 season (2-14)? I think he lost several games for us that year and a number of people on this board wanted to run him out of town with CC and HWSNBN! There was a game in Baltimore and the so called "Reggie Bowl" in San Fran that come to mind. He seems to have a pattern of 3 good years followed by 1 bad year (01 bad with Pitt, 02, 03, 04 good, 05 bad, 06, 07, 08 good, 09 bad ....). Not sure what's up with that, but it could mean he's back with us next season and kicking lights out again.

Anyway, you're probably right about them not going after a Kicker in the Draft but bringing in FA's instead (see Medlock tryout). I don't think Kubes would be willing to risk this season on a Rookie Kicker. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How did you guys determine who would be available at each pick? Did you go off a web site's list? Not disagreeing, just wondering.
Have you ever tried to drop kick or put someone in a step over toe hold via the internet? RMartin 65, Beerlover, and I went back and forth with pages and pages of messages. Each of us have a passion for the Texans and our own ideas of what will work and not. We basically use the same sources except I don't pay for any such as OurLads. WHat was effective I think is being able to compare games we saw & share that info. It is hard to ignore Kyle WIlson moving up the stats & same with TG who I had in 4th originally. Steve
Old 02-08-2010   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I think this was Brown's 2nd bad year with us. Remember the 05 season (2-14)? I think he lost several games for us that year and a number of people on this board wanted to run him out of town with CC and HWSNBN! There was a game in Baltimore and the so called "Reggie Bowl" in San Fran that come to mind. He seems to have a pattern of 3 good years followed by 1 bad year (01 bad with Pitt, 02, 03, 04 good, 05 bad, 06, 07, 08 good, 09 bad ....). Not sure what's up with that, but it could mean he's back with us next season and kicking lights out again.

Anyway, you're probably right about them not going after a Kicker in the Draft but bringing in FA's instead (see Medlock tryout). I don't think Kubes would be willing to risk this season on a Rookie Kicker. JMHO!
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...brownkri01.htm
Old 02-08-2010   #45
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Percentage wise you're right about those being the worst years he had, but I know he had a bad year in 05 with some critical misses that cost us several games. Some of the kicks, that should have been automatic, were so bad that people were thinking he threw the games just so we could get the 1st pick in the Draft and pick Reggie! Looking back on it now it sure seems funny.

I just hope we can find a better Kicker with range and accuracy. Looking at those stats, Brown has only had a couple of really good years with us (07 and 08). Other than that, he looks to be mediocre at best. It's probably time to move on!
Old 02-08-2010   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Percentage wise you're right about those being the worst years he had, but I know he had a bad year in 05 with some critical misses that cost us several games. Some of the kicks, that should have been automatic, were so bad that people were thinking he threw the games just so we could get the 1st pick in the Draft and pick Reggie! Looking back on it now it sure seems funny.

I just hope we can find a better Kicker with range and accuracy. Looking at those stats, Brown has only had a couple of really good years with us (07 and 08). Other than that, he looks to be mediocre at best. It's probably time to move on!
Look at 2008:
20-29yds 9/10; 30-39 yds 10/10;40-49yds 8/10 and 50 + 2/3. He has missed twice in eight years on extra points. FG% 88. Maybe you should look a bit more recent than 2005. Sure bring in competition but don't just give it to them.
Old 02-09-2010   #47
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Look at 2008:
20-29yds 9/10; 30-39 yds 10/10;40-49yds 8/10 and 50 + 2/3. He has missed twice in eight years on extra points. FG% 88. Maybe you should look a bit more recent than 2005. Sure bring in competition but don't just give it to them.
Never said just give it to them. I'm sure, when they bring somebody in, that person/persons will compete against Brown, and Kubes will give it to who they think is best. Just like they did when Turk came in and competed against Stanley.

As for looking more recent than 05 at KB's stats, I did. That's why I said he only had a couple of really good years with us in 07 and 08. The only reason I bring up 05 as a bad year for him is because he lost games for us that year, just like this year, and there seemed to be a pattern of a bad year every 4th year. Kris may beat out the competition this season and have a great year for us like he did in 07 and 08. I don't know. I just wish we could find someone more consistent year in and year out.
Old 02-09-2010   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Never said just give it to them. I'm sure, when they bring somebody in, that person/persons will compete against Brown, and Kubes will give it to who they think is best. Just like they did when Turk came in and competed against Stanley.

As for looking more recent than 05 at KB's stats, I did. That's why I said he only had a couple of really good years with us in 07 and 08. The only reason I bring up 05 as a bad year for him is because he lost games for us that year, just like this year, and there seemed to be a pattern of a bad year every 4th year. Kris may beat out the competition this season and have a great year for us like he did in 07 and 08. I don't know. I just wish we could find someone more consistent year in and year out.
I agree but when you said he was mediocre, I thought you were sayig that anyone could come in and beat him out. I am ready to improve on any player and you may be right that his history indicates he is coming to the end.
Old 02-11-2010   #49
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

agreed. and I don't know how many times I posted Garret Hartley, the kid from South Lake Carrol on these boards...but it was a few times. And there the guy is kicking in the big game. I think they'll stand pat. Judging by the trend, Brown has two good years due. I hope.

I really like the Georgia Punter , Butler, though. Got the blood lines and he can flat out boom the ball. but that option is a long ways down the line.
Old 02-18-2010   #50
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey guys R top selection for Texans is holding water weeks later, still pre-combine but considering where we started from during this process.

http://draftnasty.com/insider_blogs/...aft-version-1/

Quote:
20. Houston Texans

Kyle Wilson CB Boise State

Since his arrival, GM Rick Smith has done a fine job in building the team through the draft and the decision to keep head coach Gary Kubiak deserves some props. Too often, teams don't let their head coaches develop continuity with their players. What the Texans need is a cornerback outside capable of handling the top receivers in the AFC South. Wilson would be a nice addition to an up and coming defensive unit that ranked 13th in the NFL in 2009.
Old 02-18-2010   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Hey guys R top selection for Texans is holding water weeks later, still pre-combine but considering where we started from during this process.

http://draftnasty.com/insider_blogs/...aft-version-1/
Yeah, we went through a lot of research to finally end with Wilson. It is possible that someone could also see him as the real deal and beat us to the punch. I had Perrish Cox rated higher than Wilson initially but a bit concerned about his immature antics. Just FYI, Jerome Murphy CB will be someone to keep an eye on in combine.
Old 02-19-2010   #52
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not the big Iupati fan that some are. He is a power guy that will do well in Pittsburgh for example. I don't think he converts easily to ZBS & that is why I had Asamoah in second round on an earlier mock (I had allowed others to pursuade me Gerhart will be avail at Texans pick in 3rd. Doubt that happens.) We should go either THomas FS/CB or Wilson CB @ #20. A power back in 2nd and Walton or Johnson in 3rd really moves the O to another level. I am ok with Mike Johnson and see him as a Chester Pitts type. I used to think Pitts was gone but now am thinking he will return at 31 yoa. Brown, Pitts, Myers/Walton, Briesel/Caldwell with Rashad Butler and my 5th rounder Newhouse battling it out.
Well Mike Mayock just slipped Iupati into his OT review. Said something about Allan Faneca. Twenty pounds heavier. His arms are longer.

I'm telling you if he slips to twenty that'll be Texans pick. How a franchise could by pass a guy like that after not having a rushing attack for most of the season in '09 would be stunning to me ? He fits the hole. He's the best prospect at the position. And he has unlimited potential to move outside.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...further-review
Old 02-19-2010   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well Mike Mayock just slipped Iupati into his OT review. Said something about Allan Faneca. Twenty pounds heavier. His arms are longer.

I'm telling you if he slips to twenty that'll be Texans pick. How a franchise could by pass a guy like that after not having a rushing attack for most of the season in '09 would be stunning to me ? He fits the hole. He's the best prospect at the position. And he has unlimited potential to move outside.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...further-review
I think it comes down to personal opinion. I think good chance Pitts will be re-signed and will not be beat out by any drafted guard. I think Dunta will be gone so CB becomes highest priority. IMO power RB is highest priority, but my guy TG or Dixon or even Mathews should be there in 2nd so I go with WIlson. I am not a best player available but fill the priority need under mostscenarios.
Old 02-20-2010   #54
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i havent done research or anything but i can say with some certainty after seeing some vids of trindon holiday that he wont make it to the 7th round. some1 will take a flyer on him in the 4th/5th rds imo
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010   #55
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i havent done research or anything but i can say with some certainty after seeing some vids of trindon holiday that he wont make it to the 7th round. some1 will take a flyer on him in the 4th/5th rds imo
Yep, we established that one a little while back. This mock was made before the Texas vs. the Nation game, before Holliday started tearing it up.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #56
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

As each day goes by, I like Kyle Wilson on this team more and more.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
As you should sir. My concern is there are teams ahead of us that could use his skills.
Old 02-22-2010   #58
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
we expereinced a similar phenomenon that was exciting to share between oursleves then later to our fellow board members. pretty cool, guess thats what its all about
Old 02-25-2010   #59
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Round 1: Bose State WR Kyle Wilson 5'10" 190

The pick/need make sense but the guy doesn't really fit the CB profile Smithiak targets (6' 200, lanky).
Round 2: Stanford RB Toby Gerhart, 61 235
Love the pick. Love it.
Round 3: Alabama LG Mike Johnson, 6'5" 306
For as big of a need as S is, or DT it almost feels like this is too early. But then I remember Chris Myers still plays on the team so....
Round 4: East Carolina University DT Linval Joseph, 6'6" 322
sounds like a big mamajama.
Round 5a: Bowling Green WR Freddie Barnes, 6 210
Not that you can really complain about 5-7 round picks but WR doesn't seem like much of a need to me. Even if Walter doesn't resign.
Round 5b: Iowa ILB Pat Angerer, 6 235
Terrible pick. Ya'll didn't even take a late round safety. SAFETY!!!
Round 6: Clemson OG/C Thomas Austin, 6'3" 310
Nice
Round 7: LSU Returner Trindon Holliday, 55 170 lbs
Nice flyer pick. Can't be any worse than Alex Brink.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Round 1: Bose State WR Kyle Wilson 5'10" 190

The pick/need make sense but the guy doesn't really fit the CB profile Smithiak targets (6' 200, lanky).
Round 2: Stanford RB Toby Gerhart, 61 235
Love the pick. Love it.
Round 3: Alabama LG Mike Johnson, 6'5" 306
For as big of a need as S is, or DT it almost feels like this is too early. But then I remember Chris Myers still plays on the team so....
Round 4: East Carolina University DT Linval Joseph, 6'6" 322
sounds like a big mamajama.
Round 5a: Bowling Green WR Freddie Barnes, 6 210
Not that you can really complain about 5-7 round picks but WR doesn't seem like much of a need to me. Even if Walter doesn't resign.
Round 5b: Iowa ILB Pat Angerer, 6 235
Terrible pick. Ya'll didn't even take a late round safety. SAFETY!!!
Round 6: Clemson OG/C Thomas Austin, 6'3" 310
Nice
Round 7: LSU Returner Trindon Holliday, 55 170 lbs
Nice flyer pick. Can't be any worse than Alex Brink.
Brice McCain 5'9" 187 lbs but I think his 4.33 had a lot to do with it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read