Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-28-2010   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WalterFootball 2010 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
1st RD - It's a tad early for Williams, but really the only place we can grab him. Dwyer could be had later if we traded back.

2nd RD - Dont' see us being able to get Wilson or Ghee. By our pick they will be gone.

3rd RD - Mike Johnson will be gone way before our pick in the 3rd.

4th RD - After the Senior Bowl I seriously doubt Rolle gets out of the 3rd round.

5th RD - Carrington has had a good Senior Bowl and he should be available in our pick area. His game is very similar to A. Smith's though.
2nd rd. After Haden I have

Wilson,Warren,Ghee,Spievey,Robinson and Cox. One of these would be good value and should be available.

3rd rd. I want Asamoah he should be available, Johnson hasn't had a bad week but he hasn't stood out. This is the definition of a 3rd rd pick. IMO

4th rd. I really like what I've seen of Cook, You may be right about Rolle but one of Cook,Rolle or m.Wright should be available here and a great value. This is one of the deepest S classes I've seen.

5th rd. Carrington appears to have more length and burst than A.Smith. You never can have enough pass rushers.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #22
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter has updated and changed our pick to Earl Thomas. Dan Williams' stock has gone up and therefore has Pittsburgh selecting him over Thomas. We get Cox in round 2, Gerhart in 3 and Arthur Jones in 4. I think all Texans fans could get excited about this draft. The only thing is that it doesn't address our O-Line, but we could possibly look after that through FA and a trade for Kuper.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Walter has updated and changed our pick to Earl Thomas. Dan Williams' stock has gone up and therefore has Pittsburgh selecting him over Thomas. We get Cox in round 2, Gerhart in 3 and Arthur Jones in 4. I think all Texans fans could get excited about this draft. The only thing is that it doesn't address our O-Line, but we could possibly look after that through FA and a trade for Kuper.
Not that it matters, but didn't Pitt pick a 1st round DT last draft? Hood, I think?
Old 02-03-2010   #24
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Not that it matters, but didn't Pitt pick a 1st round DT last draft? Hood, I think?
You are correct sir. Ziggy Hood. Drafted #32

This is wikipedia so take it for what you will.

Pittsburgh Steelers

He will move to defensive end and primarily serve as a rotational back-up for his rookie year. Hood recorded both his first sack and his first recovered fumble against the Baltimore Ravens on December 27, 2009.

So I guess they still need a replacement for Hampton who might not be back next season.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #25
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Hood projected as more of a DE than a DT in the 34. I wouldn't expect to see him in the middle too often.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #26
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
You are correct sir. Ziggy Hood. Drafted #32

This is wikipedia so take it for what you will.

Pittsburgh Steelers

He will move to defensive end and primarily serve as a rotational back-up for his rookie year. Hood recorded both his first sack and his first recovered fumble against the Baltimore Ravens on December 27, 2009.

So I guess they still need a replacement for Hampton who might not be back next season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Hood projected as more of a DE than a DT in the 34. I wouldn't expect to see him in the middle too often.
Cool, thanks. I've got the past 3 drafts in my desk drawer. I was just too dadgum lazy to take a gander at them.
Old 02-03-2010   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
I think this is Thomas second time on Walter at first round. I still have him gone but this mock would be great.

Oline.. Changing my mind on how this will be handled a bit. I now see Pitts being re-signed. I think Coach likes his play and effort. He turns 31 June but can give us two years if healthy. I see him as a loyal guy who wants to retire in Houston and help this team go deep. He is not great but solid and will help in Red Zone especially with a power RB like Foster or my guy Gerhart. I am drafting LT/OG Marshall Newhouse in 5th from TCU. 6'3" 326 5.06. He projects to G and played both positions well in Shriner's. He should push Pitts by end of year one & might replace Butler or Studdard.
Old 02-03-2010   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just looking through past drafts, in 2008 Michael Griffin (FS Texas) was drafted at 19 and Aaron Ross (CB Texas) was drafted at 20. Seeing how we're drafting at 19.5 maybe we'll take Earl Thomas (DB Texas) and he'll be both those player combined!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #29
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Cherry Pickin it.

1. Earl Thomas, FS, Texas
2. Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
3. Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
4. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse

OR

3. Mike Johnson, G, Alabama
4. LaGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #30
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cherry Pickin it.
3. Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford
4. Myron Rolle, Team Neurosurgeon, Rhodes Scholar - University of Oxford
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #31
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cherry Pickin it.

I like this one alot, fixes our 2 biggest weaknesses in the secondary and O-line/running game. We'd be extremely lucky for the draft to go like this.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #32
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like this one alot, fixes our 2 biggest weaknesses in the secondary and O-line/running game. We'd be extremely lucky for the draft to go like this.
I like that draft too.

It addresses most of the needs.

You could trade bak into the 3/4 rd and draft a DT that can contribute next year.

Using the 5th rd picks as a tool to move up in the draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cherry Pickin it.

3. Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
4. Arthur Jones, DT, Syracuse

OR

Blount is very interesting to me. He had a very good Senior bowl & I expect him to do well in combine. Doubt McNair will draft but he will be a player imo.
Old 02-04-2010   #34
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think this is Thomas second time on Walter at first round. I still have him gone but this mock would be great.

Oline.. Changing my mind on how this will be handled a bit. I now see Pitts being re-signed. I think Coach likes his play and effort. He turns 31 June but can give us two years if healthy. I see him as a loyal guy who wants to retire in Houston and help this team go deep. He is not great but solid and will help in Red Zone especially with a power RB like Foster or my guy Gerhart. I am drafting LT/OG Marshall Newhouse in 5th from TCU. 6'3" 326 5.06. He projects to G and played both positions well in Shriner's. He should push Pitts by end of year one & might replace Butler or Studdard.

Good job. I take Marshall Newhouse in the third. I don't fool around with it. I don't care who we pass up in the third. Lock down the right guard positon. Body slam it.
Old 02-04-2010   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Good job. I take Marshall Newhouse in the third. I don't fool around with it. I don't care who we pass up in the third. Lock down the right guard positon. Body slam it.
Understand your sentiments and that is my reason for drafting Gerhart in 2nd round. Now here is my thoughts on this situation and why I am doing a bit differently. Pitts will be back and if healthy is the starter. Kubes is comfortable with his skills and being a long time veteran. He immediately makes Brown and Myers better. Caldwell & Briesel battle for RG. Newhouse is rated no higher than 5th & I don't want to burn my third where I get my center Walton.
Old 02-04-2010   #36
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Understand your sentiments and that is my reason for drafting Gerhart in 2nd round. Now here is my thoughts on this situation and why I am doing a bit differently. Pitts will be back and if healthy is the starter. Kubes is comfortable with his skills and being a long time veteran. He immediately makes Brown and Myers better. Caldwell & Briesel battle for RG. Newhouse is rated no higher than 5th & I don't want to burn my third where I get my center Walton.
& I understand. I saw enough of Walton, to be on board...But the problem is handling the elite DTs and the larger NTs of the league. And we're going to face a bushel full of them next season. Doing what we always done.....after we know for certain it didn't work for fourteen (week sixteen brain fart) games last season.... I dunno, I'm not to hopeful about that scenario. Kubiak isn't moving Myers, unless he drops down stone cold dead or he gets injured. Once an Aggie always an Aggie. He hasn't moved his vet o-lineman out when they are stinking up the house since he's been here. And I don't know, but I doubt he makes a switch at center this year. He goes with the vet and let's them play their way out of it. Either Caldwell is going to have to put on an additional ten to twelve pounds of muscle. Or they are going to have to draft a RG; a right guard with great feet and extraordinary strength. Or, we spend another season seeing our guards thrown around like Raggiedy Ann dolls all season.
Old 02-04-2010   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
& I understand. I saw enough of Walton, to be on board...But the problem is handling the elite DTs and the larger NTs of the league. And we're going to face a bushel full of them next season. Doing what we always done.....after we know for certain it didn't work for fourteen (week sixteen brain fart) games last season.... I dunno, I'm not to hopeful about that scenario. Kubiak isn't moving Myers, unless he drops down stone cold dead or he gets injured. Once an Aggie always an Aggie. He hasn't moved his vet o-lineman out when they are stinking up the house since he's been here. And I don't know, but I doubt he makes a switch at center this year. He goes with the vet and let's them play their way out of it. Either Caldwell is going to have to put on an additional ten to twelve pounds of muscle. Or they are going to have to draft a RG; a right guard with great feet and extraordinary strength. Or, we spend another season seeing our guards thrown around like Raggiedy Ann dolls all season.
I agree 100 %! But most of this past season that you refer to is not our Oline. There was Chris White, Caldwell, Studdard and I thought another guy takes plays as starters. Probably none will start game one. Sure injuries can put us back in same scenario, but if my draft happens our back ups will be much better. A 308 pound Pitts and a 309 Caldwell (my RG starter) helps Myers. If one of those goes down my Newhouse at 326 actually adds bulk. I think Caldwell has pick up a few pounds at end of season but not positive. Let's not over look the value of a banger like Gerhart that makes the Oline better and allows Schaub a whole nother option. We will not fix everything but will definitely be much better off.
Old 02-04-2010   #38
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Well we'll see. Just like at line backer in '08, when you lost the starters...we could not defend speed on the outside. And this year with the guards, when they matched up against two teams, one with major dings in their front seven, and one holding out an all pro type NT.....we started to roll in the rushing attack. You're saying lets stand pat with the current roster which in itself struggled in September, and see what another year of grooming will do.

And I'm saying let's not wait on anything. Let's draft the 326 pound behemoth with great feet and see what happens. I believe what happens is we suddenly find a consistent running attack on the right against any defensive scheme, under any scenario, on any Sunday. And yes I 'd pay a little more draft capital, take a little more risk earlier for that. Let the quick guards fight it out for the other spot.
Old 02-04-2010   #39
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

We could always draft Maurkice Pouncey (Florida) as our future Center. He is big and has the ability to take on bigger NTs and DTs.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
We could always draft Maurkice Pouncey (Florida) as our future Center. He is big and has the ability to take on bigger NTs and DTs.
Pouncy will be gone by our 3rd and I'm locked in with my 2nd round being Gerhart. Your guy is great though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read