Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-04-2010   #21
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: First Edition: rmartin65, badboy, beerlover Texans Mock

Well I watched Mike Johnson against Texas and I gotta say unless you know something I don't, you go with Myers in the middle and no significant upgrade next to him, gonna be a very long fall. It looks like they are going to pay the market on Pitts. And I haven't seen squat on Briseil.

So if 'ol Mike is gone in the third what do you do ? Guard is critical. Can't wait until three. It's gotta be a drop dead sure pick. Chances are he's going to have to start.

But I got the man love for Iupati . What do I know.
Old 02-04-2010   #22
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well I watched Mike Johnson against Texas and I gotta say unless you know something I don't, you go with Myers in the middle and no significant upgrade next to him, gonna be a very long fall. It looks like they are going to pay the market on Pitts. And I haven't seen squat on Briseil.

So if 'ol Mike is gone in the third what do you do ? Guard is critical. Can't wait until three. It's gotta be a drop dead sure pick. Chances are he's going to have to start.

But I got the man love for Iupati . What do I know.
We actually had Iupati as our number 1 pick for a while. We changed it when we saw just how high his stock was rising. It was becoming quite possible that he would not be available.

In my mock, I have Walton from Baylor as the 3rd round pick.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #23
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
We actually had Iupati as our number 1 pick for a while. We changed it when we saw just how high his stock was rising. It was becoming quite possible that he would not be available.

I think two years ago, both Johnson and Walton would have been excellent picks. However from my prospective..we're loaded with very capable quick guards. Three of them, they can pass block. They can run the stretch. They can get out in space and knock people in the dirt. However what they can't do, beyond doubt, is man handle NTs and elite DTs.

I just came from a thread with the pitch forks out for Kubiak. I look at the 2010 schedule and I'm scared to death. I like both of Walton and Johnson. I just hope the Houston fans are not in another Bruce Smith -Ray Childeress scenario. I don't know Iupati may go to Indianapolis and prove he has no feet. We'll see.
Old 02-04-2010   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Agreed. On the mock I am working on now I have Walton Center in my 3rd. He comes from a ZBS that churned out the yards last season. He put Dan Williams (329 lbs) on his butt in a blocking session prior to Senior Bowl and blocked UT's Lamarr Houston so effectively that Houston jumped off side twice before being man handled by JD again. Mel Kiper had Thomas Austin rated at best senior center for 2010 prior to last season BUT after season he gave nod to Walton.
Old 02-04-2010   #25
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

way better than my mock...I like it top to bottom.
Old 02-04-2010   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think two years ago, both Johnson and Walton would have been excellent picks. However from my prospective..we're loaded with very capable quick guards. Three of them, they can pass block. They can run the stretch. They can get out in space and knock people in the dirt. However what they can't do, beyond doubt, is man handle NTs and elite DTs.

I just came from a thread with the pitch forks out for Kubiak. I look at the 2010 schedule and I'm scared to death. I like both of Walton and Johnson. I just hope the Houston fans are not in another Bruce Smith -Ray Childeress scenario. I don't know Iupati may go to Indianapolis and prove he has no feet. We'll see.
I am not the big Iupati fan that some are. He is a power guy that will do well in Pittsburgh for example. I don't think he converts easily to ZBS & that is why I had Asamoah in second round on an earlier mock (I had allowed others to pursuade me Gerhart will be avail at Texans pick in 3rd. Doubt that happens.) We should go either THomas FS/CB or Wilson CB @ #20. A power back in 2nd and Walton or Johnson in 3rd really moves the O to another level. I am ok with Mike Johnson and see him as a Chester Pitts type. I used to think Pitts was gone but now am thinking he will return at 31 yoa. Brown, Pitts, Myers/Walton, Briesel/Caldwell with Rashad Butler and my 5th rounder Newhouse battling it out.
Old 02-04-2010   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Free Agency closely follows the combine, we can make adjustments based on more solid factual information then.

1. Review College Players
2. Any internal extensions
3. F/A signings
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #28
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am not the big Iupati fan that some are. He is a power guy that will do well in Pittsburgh for example. I don't think he converts easily to ZBS & that is why I had Asamoah in second round on an earlier mock (I had allowed others to pursuade me Gerhart will be avail at Texans pick in 3rd. Doubt that happens.) We should go either THomas FS/CB or Wilson CB @ #20. A power back in 2nd and Walton or Johnson in 3rd really moves the O to another level. I am ok with Mike Johnson and see him as a Chester Pitts type. I used to think Pitts was gone but now am thinking he will return at 31 yoa. Brown, Pitts, Myers/Walton, Briesel/Caldwell with Rashad Butler and my 5th rounder Newhouse battling it out.
If we know about Marshall Newhouse, I think it would be pretty naive of us not to believe every mushroom club member out there knows about him also. He starts out being able to handle four out of five o-line positions. Which makes him absolute gold come the final cuts. He saves roster spots.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Iupati. i believe the grabbing can be coached out of him by camp. I also believe he could handle four out of five positions...eventually. Lance just put hm at 16. We'll be very fortunate to have a shot at him. The last time I checked..SF still employs the ZBS.
Old 02-04-2010   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
If we know about Marshall Newhouse, I think it would be pretty naive of us not to believe every mushroom club member out there knows about him also. He starts out being able to handle four out of five o-line positions. Which makes him absolute gold come the final cuts. He saves roster spots.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Iupati. i believe the grabbing can be coached out of him by camp. I also believe he could handle four out of five positions...eventually. Lance just put hm at 16. We'll be very fortunate to have a shot at him. The last time I checked..SF still employs the ZBS.
You can put a square peg in a round hole, see Pitts who handled the ZBS or a version of it any way. Iupati will be a very good guard. I just don't see him or any draft pick beating our Pitts if healthy. Beerlover has a great point that free agency will give clearer insight to the draft. I'm sure you have seen he posts about signing the OG from Denver which if it happens would again reduce the need for a OG in early draft rounds.

Newhouse.. I don't agree that everyone will know or make the same eval as us. Zach Diles was a 7th rounder that starts. Looking back should we have used a 3rd? Most have him rated very low.
Old 02-05-2010   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
One thing that stuck out to me is you guys seem to be pretty high on Freddie Barnes, what is making you think he will be there in the 5th round. (I know nothing about him, just going by what I am reading here, and he sounds like a great player by the details y'all gave).
on a side note Freddie Barnes had 155 receptions last season, 19 TD's & 1,770 receiving yards. That's with a game against Boise State where Kyle Wilson held him to just 4 catches and 26 yards. That folks, is a shutdown corner.
Old 02-05-2010   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
on a side note Freddie Barnes had 155 receptions last season, 19 TD's & 1,770 receiving yards. That's with a game against Boise State where Kyle Wilson held him to just 4 catches and 26 yards. That folks, is a shutdown corner.
Tulane wideout Jeremy Williams ....Reminds me a lot of Derick Mason. Didn't see a lot of Tulane football. But he did well in the senior bowl week.
Old 02-06-2010   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Trindon Holliday won't be available in the 7th rd. just kinda let that one get by. one of our 5th rd. picks if we want him, tough choice between him or Barnes? guess it would come down to Texans expectations of Jacoby Jones. One, is he ready to be Texans #2 WR? Two, would releiving him of return duties allow a faster transition to this full time role? If not I would still take Barnes if yes then it's Holliday...
Old 02-06-2010   #33
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trindon Holliday won't be available in the 7th rd. just kinda let that one get by. one of our 5th rd. picks if we want him, tough choice between him or Barnes? guess it would come down to Texans expectations of Jacoby Jones. One, is he ready to be Texans #2 WR? Two, would releiving him of return duties allow a faster transition to this full time role? If not I would still take Barnes if yes then it's Holliday...
You think? Holliday is playing in the Texas vs. the Nation game, and the practice reports on him have not been flattering at all.

I have not seen any place showing him getting drafted at all, much less fifth round.
Old 02-06-2010   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
You think? Holliday is playing in the Texas vs. the Nation game, and the practice reports on him have not been flattering at all.

I have not seen any place showing him getting drafted at all, much less fifth round.
Texas (36) vs. the Nation (17) just finished & LSU’s Trindon Holliday earned offensive player of the game honors accumulating 209 all-purpose yards, including 71 on four punt returns & two touchdowns (one on a 67 yd. pass the other on a 2 yard run).
Old 02-06-2010   #35
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Texas (36) vs. the Nation (17) just finished & LSU’s Trindon Holliday earned offensive player of the game honors accumulating 209 all-purpose yards, including 71 on four punt returns & two touchdowns (one on a 67 yd. pass the other on a 2 yard run).
Well, shit. Hmm, yeah, I am going to have to move him around then. I am probably not going to re-adjust my board until after the combine.
Old 02-06-2010   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Well, shit. Hmm, yeah, I am going to have to move him around then. I am probably not going to re-adjust my board until after the combine.
see folks this is the type of in depth behind the scenes exchanges that shape draft boards

it is however a good example of addressing needs @ a specific position & how that affects a group of existing players who are developing or can be upgraded while targeting for need. Initially my target was Jacoby Ford, Clemson track star/WR but we came to the understanding he would get a 4th rd. grade (much closer to becoming an impact player immediately) so down the list until we agreed on a 5th rd. grade for Barnes (no return skills) & Holliday 7th as returner/3rd down slot WR. So Ford could do both, make a quicker transition but we all agreed not as big of need as addressing interior DT.
Old 02-06-2010   #37
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
see folks this is the type of in depth behind the scenes exchanges that shape draft boards

it is however a good example of addressing needs @ a specific position & how that affects a group of existing players who are developing or can be upgraded while targeting for need. Initially my target was Jacoby Ford, Clemson track star/WR but we came to the understanding he would get a 4th rd. grade (much closer to becoming an impact player immediately) so down the list until we agreed on a 5th rd. grade for Barnes (no return skills) & Holliday 7th as returner/3rd down slot WR. So Ford could do both, make a quicker transition but we all agreed not as big of need as addressing interior DT.
Haha, it was something like that.

Getting Ford would be nice, but it was nicer to get Joseph (Big DT), Barnes and Holliday. Depending on how things go down at the combine (if Holliday runs sub 4.25 he is worth a 5th rounder. If not, I would keep Barnes and look for a new 7th rounder), this is a pretty realistic draft, in my opinion.
Old 02-07-2010   #38
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trindon Holliday won't be available in the 7th rd. just kinda let that one get by.
How did you guys determine who would be available at each pick? Did you go off a web site's list? Not disagreeing, just wondering.
Old 02-07-2010   #39
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Haha, it was something like that.

Getting Ford would be nice, but it was nicer to get Joseph (Big DT), Barnes and Holliday. Depending on how things go down at the combine (if Holliday runs sub 4.25 he is worth a 5th rounder. If not, I would keep Barnes and look for a new 7th rounder), this is a pretty realistic draft, in my opinion.
LaMarcus Coker is just about as fast as Holliday,can return KR/PR and can provide great depth at RB.

Coker has run a 4.28 40.

He's well worth a 5th rd pick. IMO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #40
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
How did you guys determine who would be available at each pick? Did you go off a web site's list? Not disagreeing, just wondering.
We all have a board of some kind. So we were all working with different rankings, it was very interesting to discuss.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read