Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-31-2010   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: In progress Awtysst Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I get why people want a reliable running back. The thing is though a rb is only as good as the oline that is in front of him. I think we have solid backs here(Slaton, Foster, Hillis-from trade, Moats, and JJ). I believe Hillis is the guy you give the ball in short distances. He is 250lbs of muscle. When you use Foster and Hillis you save the tread on Slaton's tires.

I grade rbs relatively low because of their incredibly short shelf lives. A lot of people like the flashy glory position of the RB, but given the same level of ability, give me a OG any day of the week.
I'm a build the trenches 1st kind of guy.

I just dont want to go into the season with Hillis Foster and Moats as the RB's

Neck surgery is a serious thing particularly for a RB. Slaton cant be counted on. IMO

If this trade is made (I hope so) Spiller would be my 1st choice. He would add to an already dynamic offense. Spiller would be a home run threat at RB. Imagine having AJ and JJ at WR with OD at TE and Spiller at RB. defenses couldn't cover everybody. Hillis could be the short yardage RB. If Slaton makes it back all I can say is WOW. Spiller will also be an awsome weapon as a KR/PR.

Kuper and 3rd rd pick Asamoah along with Caldwell will be the upgrade on the interior OL that will make this offense not only one nf the best statistically but also a juggernaut in the red zone.

With this offense the Texans will have no problems scoring points with the Colts.

The Defense can also have 2 of its main 3 weaknesses adressed. CB (Cox,Spievey,Ghee or K.Jackson) One should be availabe in the 2nd rd.

S or DT in the 4th I would draft a S and sign Jolly in FA. They will probably draft a DT Joseph and sign a S in FA.

Either way with this trade and smart drafting most of the holes will be filled.

Smithiak have to do something that they are not known for, thinking outside the box.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010   #22
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

There will be a draft 2011 draft.

If there's a lockout the owners wont sign the draft picks until the new labor agreement is reached but there will be a draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #23
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who would you take in the secondary? Sounds like you might reach for a player that fits a need rather than taking the BPA. Remember when we reached for Amobi when Willis and Revis were still there? We said what both of yall are saying now, "our cbs and lbs are serviceable, we need a DT."
I don't understand how without listing what players would already be gone by that pick how you can say that any secondary player at 20 would be a reach. Kyle Wilson had a good senior bowl and he fits more of a need than Sean Witherspoon. You could also fit a DL player in there as well (Like I said in my previous post).
Old 02-01-2010   #24
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Just random thoughts here.

If the BPA available at our pick is an OLB and can be a difference maker it would be silly to pass on him. Look at the difference Cushing made to the defense and how much it improved the team. We now have 2 tackling machines that cover 2/3 of the field in Ryans and Cushing. If we can add another player of that caliber to play with those two we could have something special.

That talk about them having to come out is silly too. If we draft a LB in the first he going to be good enough to not have to come out. There are only 2 maybe 3 players like that in this draft. Weatherspoon, Washington and possibly Bowman though im not convinced on him just yet. Any one of these guys is a huge upgrade over Dyles. Im not haten on Dyles either. I like him, I think he is a decent player that plays solid consistently. Thats great to have but lets not make it out like he is a playmaker. Sure he'll make the sure tackle and not make too many mistakes but he's not going to make alot of big plays.

You put another big play guy next to Cushing and Ryans and you now have a playmaker across the board on the second level. Not many teams can say that. Now whether teams go left, up the middle or right they will have to contend with one of them.

Slaton and Spiller are not redundent. Spiller is well worth the #20 pick even if he is just our third down back and return guy on kickoffs. He will still get 12 to fifteen touches a game.Thats worst case scenerio. Thats if Slaton even comes back and can beat out Spiller. Spiller would be more than just a RB for this offense. He could even play in the slot. Imagine him catching the balls that have been thrown to Anderson. He would be the most explosive and dangerous weapon this team has ever had.

Yes even over AJ who by the way would really benifit from having a gamebreaker on the field to take away some of the extra attention he recieves all the time. AJ is the best WR in football but he is not a big YAC type of guy that can make guys miss and go all the way.

Adding a weapon like that to AJ, OD and an quickly improving J Jones would make our offense scary for opposing D's. You keep hearing it over and over now, this is a passing league now. Its true it is and I hope Kubiak realizes what we are and doesnt try to make to many drastic changes and try and turn us back into what he had originally thought he wanted us to be.

Dont understand what people have seen that make them so sure that Caldwell is a sure thing as a future starter. Did he ever beat White completely out?
Old 02-01-2010   #25
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
That talk about them having to come out is silly too. If we draft a LB in the first he going to be good enough to not have to come out. There are only 2 maybe 3 players like that in this draft. Weatherspoon, Washington and possibly Bowman though im not convinced on him just yet.
If you are referring to my post I would ask you to read it a bit more closely. I agree that Weatherspoon is a 3 down LB, the dilemma would be that we would then have 3 3 down LBs. So even if Weatherspoon is not the LB that comes out you are potentially turning Ryans or Cushing into a 2 down LB. A possible solution would be (as I stated) to scrap the nickel in favor of more base D. That route opens up opportunity and it opens up the potential for some bad mismatches on our end.
Old 02-01-2010   #26
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by theanswer000 View Post
Saying if we get Kuper though.

It could be Brown,Kuper,Myers who sucks, Caldwell, Winston

That is not a bad line to run behind.
Its not a bad line, but we have seen Myers get pushed into Schaub too many times. Drafting a guy like Pouncey gives us a strong Center who can stand his own and even push forward on those 3rd or 4th and short plays.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #27
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Just random thoughts here.

If the BPA available at our pick is an OLB and can be a difference maker it would be silly to pass on him. Look at the difference Cushing made to the defense and how much it improved the team. We now have 2 tackling machines that cover 2/3 of the field in Ryans and Cushing. If we can add another player of that caliber to play with those two we could have something special.

That talk about them having to come out is silly too. If we draft a LB in the first he going to be good enough to not have to come out. There are only 2 maybe 3 players like that in this draft. Weatherspoon, Washington and possibly Bowman though im not convinced on him just yet. Any one of these guys is a huge upgrade over Dyles. Im not haten on Dyles either. I like him, I think he is a decent player that plays solid consistently. Thats great to have but lets not make it out like he is a playmaker. Sure he'll make the sure tackle and not make too many mistakes but he's not going to make alot of big plays.

You put another big play guy next to Cushing and Ryans and you now have a playmaker across the board on the second level. Not many teams can say that. Now whether teams go left, up the middle or right they will have to contend with one of them.

Slaton and Spiller are not redundent. Spiller is well worth the #20 pick even if he is just our third down back and return guy on kickoffs. He will still get 12 to fifteen touches a game.Thats worst case scenerio. Thats if Slaton even comes back and can beat out Spiller. Spiller would be more than just a RB for this offense. He could even play in the slot. Imagine him catching the balls that have been thrown to Anderson. He would be the most explosive and dangerous weapon this team has ever had.

Yes even over AJ who by the way would really benifit from having a gamebreaker on the field to take away some of the extra attention he recieves all the time. AJ is the best WR in football but he is not a big YAC type of guy that can make guys miss and go all the way.

Adding a weapon like that to AJ, OD and an quickly improving J Jones would make our offense scary for opposing D's. You keep hearing it over and over now, this is a passing league now. Its true it is and I hope Kubiak realizes what we are and doesnt try to make to many drastic changes and try and turn us back into what he had originally thought he wanted us to be.

Dont understand what people have seen that make them so sure that Caldwell is a sure thing as a future starter. Did he ever beat White completely out?
Well said. I like Diles too, but the purpose is to assembly the best team, and I think our Defense is improved with him over Diles.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 02-01-2010   #28
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't understand how without listing what players would already be gone by that pick how you can say that any secondary player at 20 would be a reach. Kyle Wilson had a good senior bowl and he fits more of a need than Sean Witherspoon. You could also fit a DL player in there as well (Like I said in my previous post).
I said "might reach". No, I do not know who is there but my point is you take BPA. Yes, Wilson is a fine player, at the moment I have Weatherspoon ahead of him. You may have Wilson ahead. Its just opinions!

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 02-01-2010   #29
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
If you are referring to my post I would ask you to read it a bit more closely. I agree that Weatherspoon is a 3 down LB, the dilemma would be that we would then have 3 3 down LBs. So even if Weatherspoon is not the LB that comes out you are potentially turning Ryans or Cushing into a 2 down LB. A possible solution would be (as I stated) to scrap the nickel in favor of more base D. That route opens up opportunity and it opens up the potential for some bad mismatches on our end.
I wasnt refering to you specifically. Just the notion that any OLB we draft would automatically have to come out on third down making him a 2 down player. I have seen more than one person with that opinion.

As per your solution, any coach would rather have 3 ouststanding playmaker LB's on the field on third and long rather than taking out a LB and replacing him with a 3rd or 4th string CB.
Old 02-04-2010   #30
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Your not alone with that thought, an upgrade at RB would really be nice, but if we fix the O-line then we have RB's that can get the job done and would free up a draft pick to be used elsewhere. The key to fixing our terrible running game is fixing the O-line.
From your fingers to God's ears. How many years have we been trying to fix the o-line ?
Like Roseanna Roseanna Dana said "it's always something".
Old 02-04-2010   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well said. I like Diles too, but the purpose is to assembly the best team, and I think our Defense is improved with him over Diles.
My knee jerk is this: If I were going to draft one high, a linebacker,....I would do exactly what I did last year. Take the highest upside guy I could get my hands on. And from My prospective after the senior bowl week that would be Washington of TCU. Now what you're going to do about Adibi , I don't know. What I think is Smith and Kubiak love their grey beard back ups. And Adibi is a lot of like Keith Bullock of the Titans early in his career. The light bulb hasn't quite come on yet. Bushing is the same way too. The only thing wrong with Dilles is that Ryans, Pollard, and Cushing sucked up all of the tackles. I never saw him get beat or move himself out of position. I'm kinda indifferent on Gerhart and Whitherspoon. At least your picking at the sore spot with the trade. That's progress. I have no problem if Dennison thinks we're ready to go Studard-Myers-Cladwell. But I sure hope they have something....massive... in the pipe line locked and loaded just in case. And I sure hope they pick it fairly early.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read