Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-27-2010   #21
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hind sight is 20/20: RUNNINGBACKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Well as of now it looks like you are off to a bad start.

LaGarrette Blount/RB/Oregon: Blount was a late addition to the Senior Bowl, and he displayed the skills which made him such a highly rated running back coming into the season. He ran tough between the tackles and showed a burst, which many did not know he possessed.

We'll see.
We'll see. I've been wrong before so I'm not gonna get too upset if I am again.

I wouldn't consider it a bad start when you find one guy that you think I'm wrong on out of two hundred plus prospects.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

nobody doubts the athlete Blount as a power, short yardage back its between the ears that will keep his name off teams boards
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #23
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
We'll see. I've been wrong before so I'm not gonna get too upset if I am again.

I wouldn't consider it a bad start when you find one guy that you think I'm wrong on out of two hundred plus prospects.
Hey bah, speaking of large RB's. What do you think of Anthony Dixon? The dude's built like a brick shithouse and ain't skeered to hit ya like a mack truck, IMO. I just wonder if he'd translate to a ZBS RB.
Old 01-27-2010   #24
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I was a big fan of Gartrell Johnson and Glenn Coffee. Glenn Coffee didn't do what I thought he would but Gartrell Johnson's name hasn't even been mentioned at all? Anyone know what happened to that guy?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I was a big fan of Gartrell Johnson and Glenn Coffee. Glenn Coffee didn't do what I thought he would but Gartrell Johnson's name hasn't even been mentioned at all? Anyone know what happened to that guy?
San Diego drafted him and then waived him during pre-season and he was picked up by the Giants.
Old 01-27-2010   #26
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Speaking of Blount.... how would you feel if Smithiak passed on the top 6, addressing other needs early in the draft, then take Blount later in the draft?

Not saying that it is likely we'll go after a "character" guy.. but what if?
I would love it. I think he is a good talent. At some point McSmithiak (uh oh new name) is going to have to look at the character of their football team and say 'we have enough character guys to set the precedent of how to act when you play football here.' and take a low risk gamble on a guy like this.

The fact that he isn't going to get a huge amount of carries should also be what helps him adjust to NFL life.
Old 01-27-2010   #27
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
San Diego drafted him and then waived him during pre-season and he was picked up by the Giants.
Dang!!!! I was off on that guy. I guess I saw the size and speed and thought he could play. Guess I was wrong.

BTW, given all the "bust" seasons that these running backs had, shouldn't Smithiak get some credit for not drafting these guys? They catch alot of flack for not drafting these guys because RB was an area of need and we came out with absolutely zero. Instead we signed an undrafed free agent in Arian Foster who produced as much or more than some of the other guys not named Beanie Wells, and Knowshawn Moreno.

BTW2, for my money give me Anthony Dixon, Charles Scott, and LeGarrette Blount.
Old 01-27-2010   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Dang!!!! I was off on that guy. I guess I saw the size and speed and thought he could play. Guess I was wrong.

BTW, given all the "bust" seasons that these running backs had, shouldn't Smithiak get some credit for not drafting these guys? They catch alot of flack for not drafting these guys because RB was an area of need and we came out with absolutely zero. Instead we signed an undrafed free agent in Arian Foster who produced as much or more than some of the other guys not named Beanie Wells, and Knowshawn Moreno.

BTW2, for my money give me Anthony Dixon, Charles Scott, and LeGarrette Blount.
I remember right after the draft, many people were upset that we didn't draft a RB in 2009. But right after the draft, Smithiak picked up Foster & Jeremiah Johnson.

Then, the general consensus was that Smithiak did well, getting RBs undrafted of comparable quality to guys drafted in the second round.

I believe the biggest gripe concerning RBs, is that he's too conservative, when it comes to playing time. Most people feel Foster should have been given snaps earlier in the season.

At the same time, we understand how important the games became after our 5-3 start.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I can understand why Kubiak would be cautious to stick a rookie in the game with the all-important divisional gauntlet we were subject to. But once you tell yourself that Kris Brown is our best option... how hard is it to get the kid one snap or two.
Old 01-27-2010   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My two favorite late rd sleepers are

Stafon Johnson- He played in pro offense at USC. They ran the ZBS. Can pass protect, Was goal line RB and split carries with McKnight. He can also catch the football.

If he hadn't drpped 275 lbs on his throat he would be a third rd pick. I've been watching him closely at the Sr.Bowl. He stood out in blocking and catching drills. The game will be the first contact he's had since his injury. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

LaMarcus Coker- Got in trouble for smoking pot at Tenn. Transfered to Hampton. I read an article where is coach said he had turned his life around. If the Texans ever take a chance with a plyer with a troubled past it should be this guy. If his background checks out. Coker has Chris Johnson spped and also runs with power. He also is a great kick returner. That alone would be enough to choose him.

These 2 guys would be my two 5th rd choices. or if the T.Johnson trade is a 6th rd pick I wuold take. Johnson in the 5th rd and Coker in the 6th rd.

Taking these guys would allow the Texans to fill other needs in rds 1-4
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #30
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
shonn greene and beanie wells are the best rbs of 09 imo.
There's a reason the Beaner couldn't get on the field the first part of the season. Got to be able to read and pick up the blitz and remember where you 're supposed to go on plays. Long as he doesn't have to block or think too much and just run, Beenie's a fine prospect.

This is Daja vu all over again for us isn't it....got all of these RBs on the board and we can only guess if one of them will light Kubiak's fire. You gotta figure Stafon is living life to the fullest now. Once you're almost dead facing up and blocking a 260 pound blitzing linebacker's doesn't seem so courageous any more.

I've kept up with Richie Incognito a little bit. What you know for a fact is that when you get a rep in the NFL like being a hot head...or fumbling.....everyone in the NFL will pick at it. Blount is a rare athlete. But every game you can bet money...he and his hot head will be tested. They passed on Cedric Benson last year , I find it kinda hard to believe they'd reverse course with the high character guys in the locker room. Never know though.
Old 01-28-2010   #31
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
My two favorite late rd sleepers are

Stafon Johnson- He played in pro offense at USC. They ran the ZBS. Can pass protect, Was goal line RB and split carries with McKnight. He can also catch the football.

If he hadn't drpped 275 lbs on his throat he would be a third rd pick. I've been watching him closely at the Sr.Bowl. He stood out in blocking and catching drills. The game will be the first contact he's had since his injury. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

LaMarcus Coker- Got in trouble for smoking pot at Tenn. Transfered to Hampton. I read an article where is coach said he had turned his life around. If the Texans ever take a chance with a plyer with a troubled past it should be this guy. If his background checks out. Coker has Chris Johnson spped and also runs with power. He also is a great kick returner. That alone would be enough to choose him.

These 2 guys would be my two 5th rd choices. or if the T.Johnson trade is a 6th rd pick I wuold take. Johnson in the 5th rd and Coker in the 6th rd.

Taking these guys would allow the Texans to fill other needs in rds 1-4
I'm a huge fan of Stafon Johnson. That guy will be a good NFL back.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read