Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-23-2010   #1
houstonlibraria
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 houstonlibraria could be on the next Madden coverhoustonlibraria could be on the next Madden coverhoustonlibraria could be on the next Madden coverhoustonlibraria could be on the next Madden coverhoustonlibraria could be on the next Madden coverhoustonlibraria could be on the next Madden cover
Default 2010 Mock Draft

2010 Mock Draft
Old 01-23-2010   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2010 Mock Draft

I don't know. The CB position doesn't worry me as much as the FS, NT, C/G, or RB positions.

If we're going to draft this guy (assuming we keep Dunta), then that means we're probably moving Glover Quinn over to FS. Glover had a good year as a CB and I don't see him moving over to a position where he'd be undersized although several people see him making that move.

Personally, I think our coaches are going to be fine with our defensive backs. I don't think they share our concern about the FS with Wilson and Barber stepping up before his injury. I think they like Robinson, Quinn, McCain, and Reeves at corner.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #3
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't know. The CB position doesn't worry me as much as the FS, NT, C/G, or RB positions.

If we're going to draft this guy (assuming we keep Dunta), then that means we're probably moving Glover Quinn over to FS. Glover had a good year as a CB and I don't see him moving over to a position where he'd be undersized although several people see him making that move.

Personally, I think our coaches are going to be fine with our defensive backs. I don't think they share our concern about the FS with Wilson and Barber stepping up before his injury. I think they like Robinson, Quinn, McCain, and Reeves at corner.
Maybe they are fine with the cbs but free safety I don't know. Wilson can't stay healthy so he really needs to be a backup. He is pretty good though. The Texans have neglected the free safety spot their entire existence. I think our highest pick used on a safety was Glen Earl. And lets not forget CC Brown. Man that guy stunk it up for the Giants this year.

I just think that if the Texans could finally get a top tier free safety this year it would change the entire defense and allow Bush to be a little more creative. You shore up 2 positions when you have a really good free safety because cbs can play more agressive knowing they have help over the top. Not complaining about Bush though because he did an amazing job with what he had. We have 8 picks this year. I would let Bush have 4 of them. The other 4 I would spend on 3 ol and 1 rb.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #4
IBleedTexans
Superbowl Bound

Rep Power: 3223 IBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respectedIBleedTexans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Maybe they are fine with the cbs but free safety I don't know. Wilson can't stay healthy so he really needs to be a backup. He is pretty good though. The Texans have neglected the free safety spot their entire existence. I think our highest pick used on a safety was Glen Earl. And lets not forget CC Brown. Man that guy stunk it up for the Giants this year.

I just think that if the Texans could finally get a top tier free safety this year it would change the entire defense and allow Bush to be a little more creative. You shore up 2 positions when you have a really good free safety because cbs can play more agressive knowing they have help over the top. Not complaining about Bush though because he did an amazing job with what he had. We have 8 picks this year. I would let Bush have 4 of them. The other 4 I would spend on 3 ol and 1 rb.
I do agree with what ur saying only problem is earl wont be the by the time we pick.I personally hope we somehow get an extra pick in the first or second round.Kubiak might have to make a splash to keep his job the year after next.
IBleedTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

If Earl is there it will be hard to pass him up. He can have a huge effect on our defense because we'd finally have a true centerfielder at FS. His presence would allow Pollard to do what he does best which is knock the piss out of people and the CBs could finally stop giving those 5-10 yard cushions because they'll know ET will be over the top covering the deep ball.

I'd prefer to get a guy like Iupati to give us a bluechip OL that can give us some push in the trenches but if ET is there he just might be BPA.

I think we desperately need a NT who can push the pocket but I am weary of taking one in the 1st round because of how difficult it is to project their success.

Bottomline is we need to draft an impact player in the 1st round at a position of need. We managed to do that last year with Cushing and our LB unit hit the next level. We need to do that again and push this team over the top to make them a playoff team.
Old 01-25-2010   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

I don't agree that Earl Thomas is an NFL CB, he looks like a FS to me all the way.

Not related to the OP, but to your post Pencil Neck. In this league you need 3 or 4 corners who can really play to stop the top offenses. Having a 1st or 2nd rounder plus Reeves, Quin, and McCain would be a good young crew of CBs. I don't think it's overkill at all to think we need that many guys who can cover. Teams like the Saints and the Colts (superbowl bound teams) force you to prove that you can cover 4 deep. Look what happened to the Jets yesterday. The Colts basically said, "ok Revis can cover, but what can your other corners do?", and they picked on those guys ALL game. They had Collie and Garcon killing Sheppard and Lowery.

I look at our corners now and I am uneasy. Even with Dunta. We've got Dunta, Quin, Reeves, McCain, and Molden. Bennett is done with this team IMO, he may stay on the roster but I don't think Frank Bush trusts him. I think we need to address replacing Dunta with a draft pick between the 1st and 3rd round. If we started a more mature Quin, Reeves and had a capable rookie playing the nickel I would feel better than what we had this past year.

Having alot of guys who can cover in your secondary opens up your defense to a ton of packages/blitzes/coverages that you simply can't run without.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 106568 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

In today's game there is no such thing as having "too many" good DBs.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2010   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

It was interesting that NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM recently decided Thomas would play Cb rather than FS in the NFL. If he is 4.45 fast, he has the speed, but I'm not sure he is a full time corner. That is ok because he is a tremendous free safety that covers the field & would allow a DR or Quin some leeway by backing them up. If on the board he is the guy we should go for as one of those players that maked the whole D improve.
Old 01-25-2010   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 106568 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It was interesting that NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM recently decided Thomas would play Cb rather than FS in the NFL. If he is 4.45 fast, he has the speed, but I'm not sure he is a full time corner. That is ok because he is a tremendous free safety that covers the field & would allow a DR or Quin some leeway by backing them up. If on the board he is the guy we should go for as one of those players that maked the whole D improve.
I've been saying this for months now. Thomas could play CB in the NFL but I would prefer to use him as a FS/nickel type guy.

He has more experience in man than zone coverage in Texas' defensive system anyway.

He is a FS with better coverage skills than most of the CBs in this class.
Old 01-25-2010   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Thomas would be great, but if is already the #2 safety plus a top 3 CB wouldn't that help improve his stock not hurt it? Just saying its a higher value which means more money, hence higher draft slot. sometimes I don't know if its just me or these guys who fail to fairly value prospects
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibraria View Post
If the draft actually unfolds as you have it, and Spiller is still on the board when we pick, why wouldn't we snatch him?

I've heard all the good things about Thomas but one thing worries me. His age. He's coming out as a soph... Amobi Okoye has me leary of taking young guys. Especially at a position that requires so much thinking like FS does. If we already had a quality defense where he could come in and learn with other guys around him to hide his rookie mistakes, then maybe.... but we don't.

...just sayin', those things considered, I'd take Spiller over Thomas.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #12
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If the draft actually unfolds as you have it, and Spiller is still on the board when we pick, why wouldn't we snatch him?

I've heard all the good things about Thomas but one thing worries me. His age. He's coming out as a soph... Amobi Okoye has me leary of taking young guys. Especially at a position that requires so much thinking like FS does. If we already had a quality defense where he could come in and learn with other guys around him to hide his rookie mistakes, then maybe.... but we don't.

...just sayin', those things considered, I'd take Spiller over Thomas.
We still do have Eugene Wilson though, so its not like Thomas would be the only guy back there from day one.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #13
theanswer000
Rookie

Rep Power: 11 theanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
We still do have Eugene Wilson though, so its not like Thomas would be the only guy back there from day one.
I think Kubes should draft a guy that is going to make a immediate impact on the team. C.J. Spiller would be that guy.
theanswer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #14
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I've been saying this for months now. Thomas could play CB in the NFL but I would prefer to use him as a FS/nickel type guy.

He has more experience in man than zone coverage in Texas' defensive system anyway.

He is a FS with better coverage skills than most of the CBs in this class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Thomas would be great, but if is already the #2 safety plus a top 3 CB wouldn't that help improve his stock not hurt it? Just saying its a higher value which means more money, hence higher draft slot. sometimes I don't know if its just me or these guys who fail to fairly value prospects
I havn't watched him enough to comment on the play but tend to agree with both of you. A safety that is able to come up on the line of scrimmage and cover a WR INCREASES his value. I would love our S duo of Thomas and Pollard. Having a safety that can come up and play man on a wr does wonders for your defense from a personnel standpoint and mixing up coverages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
If I've heard all the good things about Thomas but one thing worries me. His age. He's coming out as a soph... Amobi Okoye has me leary of taking young guys. Especially at a position that requires so much thinking like FS does. If we already had a quality defense where he could come in and learn with other guys around him to hide his rookie mistakes, then maybe.... but we don't.
Thomas is a redshirt sophomore, so he is 3 years removed from high school. Amobi was 19 going into the draft, Thomas is 20 (will turn 21 in may). He's got 3 years of being on the Texas football team. I'll agree with you if you mean another year of starting at FS would do him good, but it's not enough for me to pass on him.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I think if you drank more beer, you would not be so dehydrated and probably would not catch on fire. Just saying...
Old 01-26-2010   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think if you drank more beer, you would not be so dehydrated and probably would not catch on fire. Just saying...
tend to have a butterfly affect
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

So....are we all agreed that the lack of production from Taylor Mays scares everyone to death ? I can't comment on Thomas because I like all Horns.....

the other thing I think is pretty certain....there aren't any corners on the board who'll beat out what they already got ? I don't see any Mckelvin's or DRC's or Darrelle Revis's ? If you see one out there do tell.
Old 01-28-2010   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibraria View Post
I'm giving you props just because you didn't have Dez Bryant going to Denver....which is just about the highest form of stupidity I have ever seen in the mockers, ever !!!! Denver is going to trade one mal-content head ache WR for another ? And Dez Brayant's agent is ? Jacoby Jones is looking better to me every year.
Old 01-28-2010   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
So....are we all agreed that the lack of production from Taylor Mays scares everyone to death ? I can't comment on Thomas because I like all Horns.....

the other thing I think is pretty certain....there aren't any corners on the board who'll beat out what they already got ? I don't see any Mckelvin's or DRC's or Darrelle Revis's ? If you see one out there do tell.
I think Haden has true shutdown potential. But we won't even get a sniff of him at #20.
Old 01-28-2010   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think Haden has true shutdown potential. But we won't even get a sniff of him at #20.
No way. Top 10 pick for sure. He does look like a shutdown cover corner.

If Patrick Robinson has a good senior bowl showing and tests well I think he could go in the top 20. Perrish Cox could do the same thing.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read