Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-25-2010   #1
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default WalterFootball 2010 Mock Draft

WalterFootball has an updated mock draft with the Texans taking Dan Williams, defensive tackle from Tennessee:

Quote:
If Donovan Warren and Earl Thomas are both off the board, the Texans will be in a really tough spot. They'll either have to trade up for one of those two guys, or move down about 10 spots. As it stands now, the only players who remotely make any sort of sense here are: Damian Williams, Dan Williams, Sean Weatherspoon, Brandon Ghee and Taylor Mays.

Of those options, Dan Williams is the only non-reach who satisfied a dire need. The Texans could really use a solid nose tackle to bolster their defensive interior, and Williams is coming off a great year in Monte Kiffin's defense.

I like Dan Williams and I don't have any problems with this pick if Donovan Warren and Joe Haden are both gone. Williams is not only a best in the trenches but he can get after the QB and do more then just take up space.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WalterFootball 2010 Mock Draft

There's a lot of talk about Williams not being a self starter. The last thing this D-Line needs is another 1st round D-lineman who has to be motivated to play. One Williams who has to be told to play hard is enough for me.

If Price is there I would consider him, but I can't get excited about Williams.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Admittedly, I've just begun taking a look at this years crop. That said, one thing that I've seen quite a bit while reading up on Williams is that his game is very inconsistent.

I understand these analysis are oft incorrect. I just thought I'd point it out.

Quote:
That will help Williams' draft stock, which currently suggests that he will probably be taken sometime in the third round of the 2010 draft. Consistency will probably prevent him from going off the board any earlier, but he has all the makings of a steal on Day 2.
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_id=2435

Quote:
Williams may only have to convince scouts that his senior campaign wasn't a fluke to rank among the elite in what some believe is an historic class of interior defensive linemen.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125522

Quote:
Weaknesses:
Extremely inconsistent --- Effort / Motor runs hot and cold --- Does not always use proper leverage --- Limited repertoire of moves --- Will not offer much as a pass rusher --- Average hand use --- Struggles to get off blocks at times --- Has serious issues with conditioning and stamina.
Quote:
Talented prospect who can be as good as he wants to be but shaky intangibles are a big concern --- Showed what an impact player he is capable of being at times as a senior but the key will be keeping him in shape and motivated --- Boom or Bust.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...n-Williams.php
Old 01-25-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Admittedly, I've just begun taking a look at this years crop. That said, one thing that I've seen quite a bit while reading up on Williams is that his game is very inconsistent.

I understand these analysis are oft incorrect. I just thought I'd point it out.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_id=2435

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125522

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...n-Williams.php

Sounds eerily Johnsonesque to me...
Old 01-25-2010   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
There's a lot of talk about Williams not being a self starter. The last thing this D-Line needs is another 1st round D-lineman who has to be motivated to play. One Williams who has to be told to play hard is enough for me.

If Price is there I would consider him, but I can't get excited about Williams.
Agree. If we go DT in round one I would much rather have Price. Not only is he more talented, but I think he fits our style of play better.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Walter missed this one. He needs to go back to his Jonathan Dwyer pick.
Old 01-25-2010   #7
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77717 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Sounds eerily Johnsonesque to me...
We don't need to take another boom or bust DT in the 1st. Johnson was an absolute bust. He played decent in his last year, but we ended up basically trading the #16 pick for a 6th round pick. As for Okoye, he got drafted in the top 10 because of his age not his ability. He was a borderline 1st round talent, but because he was so young he went in the top 10. I don't like taking DT's in the 1st because many of them bust.

We don't need an elite DT. We just need 4 good ones. Okoye and Cody are decent players and Robinson is serviceable. We should just add a DT in the 3rd-5th range and be done with it. We did fine stopping the run last year without an elite DT.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2010   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
We don't need an elite DT. We just need 4 good ones. Okoye and Cody are decent players and Robinson is serviceable. We should just add a DT in the 3rd-5th range and be done with it. We did fine stopping the run last year without an elite DT.
That's fine and dandy, but what about the pass rush? Do you know how many times near-sacks by our DE would have turned into sacks or pressures rather than easy completions if we had anybody who could force pressure, or merely hold their ground in the middle? There's really no question that we need a DT, and if we feel like one available to us in round one will be a good player, we need to take him.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
That's fine and dandy, but what about the pass rush? Do you know how many times near-sacks by our DE would have turned into sacks rather than easy completions if we had anybody who could force pressure, or merely hold their ground in the middle? There's really no question that we need a DT, and if we feel like one available to us in round one will be a good player, we need to take him.
Agreed. If Price is on the board and Thomas is gone I would have a hard time passing on him.

Our DTs do fine against the run but we need a guy that can also penetrate on passing downs. Price is both of those things.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #10
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

DraftCountdown has us taking Brian Price from UCLA in the updated mock. Guess I need to see more game tape before I start making comments about him.
Old 01-28-2010   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
We don't need to take another boom or bust DT in the 1st. Johnson was an absolute bust. He played decent in his last year, but we ended up basically trading the #16 pick for a 6th round pick. As for Okoye, he got drafted in the top 10 because of his age not his ability. He was a borderline 1st round talent, but because he was so young he went in the top 10. I don't like taking DT's in the 1st because many of them bust.

It might be that they, the Texans picked the position I was banging for the last couple of drafts, but my knee jerk is our scouts have done a pretty good job. If Walter's has inside info....and I didn't watch a lot of UCLA football so I don't know.... but my knee jerk is there is no one on this board who is going to get to Mr. Manning any quicker, any faster, than what they already have on the roster. And as far as Brian Price, Carrigington, C.J. Willson, or Ordick are concerned, they are all good rotation guys and would make us better. But unless a one year lame duck coach knows something we all don't, Kubiak will be drafting to save his contract. Mr. McClain keeps putting it out there that we're taking a skinny quick DT...so it's coming from somewhere. Looks like coach smoke to me to get to Iupati.
Old 01-28-2010   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Their 4 round mock now has us taking:

1. Dan Williams, DT Tennessee
2. Kyle Wilson, CB Boise St.
3. Toby Gerhart, RB Stanford
4. Mike Petrus, G Arkansas

That's a pretty good haul if you ask me. Still nervous about DW though.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #13
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

That would be fantastic. I am not a huge Williams fan, but the next 3 picks kick ass.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #14
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77717 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

I'm not too high on Williams, but he has played well at the Senior Bowl so that's a start.

Getting Wilson in the 2nd would be awesome. As it stands now there's no way he lasts that long.

I'm not very high on Gerhart, especially in the 3rd round. There's better players available.

Petrus is a good prospect, but I doubt he lasts until the 4th round.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-28-2010   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
That would be fantastic. I am not a huge Williams fan, but the next 3 picks kick ass.
Yea, what was interesting is that they had Jonathan Dwyer taken AFTER our 2nd round pick. If the board was set up like they had it I'd love a trade down (like for Duane Brown). So just pretending we could and going back to Cherry Pick, I like this.

Late 1st: CB Kyle Wilson/Perrish Cox
2nd: RB Jonathan Dwyer
3rd: FS Morgan Burnett
Extra 3rd: WR/RB Dexter McCluster
4th: OG Mitch Petrus

Trade the Travis Johnson pick to Denver for OG Chris Kuper and pick up a DT in Free Agency. We'd be set.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #16
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

He lists Lamarr Houston as the Colts pick at 32. Does anyone see him going this high?

I was thinking he would be a great 3rd round selection.

FS Earl Thomas
CB Kyle Wilson
DT Lamarr Houston
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #17
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
He lists Lamarr Houston as the Colts pick at 32. Does anyone see him going this high?

I was thinking he would be a great 3rd round selection.

FS Earl Thomas
CB Kyle Wilson
DT Lamarr Houston
Houston will probably work his way into the 2nd round after the combine. I can see him getting picked in the late 2nd round, but not in the 1st.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 01-28-2010   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm waiting until after the SR bowl to do a complete mock but here's 5 rds. I'll give a choice and a 2nd choice. This is after watching the practices.

Rd 1 D.Williams,Dwyer, ( Iupati, Thomas and Spiller are gone)
Rd 2 K.Wilson, B.Ghee (These are 2 possible no.1 CB's in draft, they fall because draft is loaded at CB)
Rd 3 J.Asamoah,M.Johnson (Asamoah falls because of injury and short arms.) He is a big strong mobile guy, He or Johnson should be here and would be a great pick.
Rd 4 Chris Cook, M.Rolle (Cook is a big athletic CB who has looked good this week playing S.) He can cover the slot WR. Rolle a Rhodes Scholar would be a Smithiak kind of guy
Rd5 Stafon Johnson, L.Coker (Goal line RB at USC has good hands and is good at pass pro. Wouldn't be here except for weight lifting accident, Coker, think Chris Johnson)
Rd 5 Carrington,Newhouse (Has been a revelation this week powerful yet quick at 280lbs he can play DE or drop down to DT in pass rush situations. Newhouse big guy who can move 3 yr starter and team leader)

These are just some observations, let me know if I'm right on evals and what rds these guys go in.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #19
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Lamaar Houston is going up the boards and he might be a suprise 1st rounder to the Colts (late first of course). Stat wise he is the best or one of the best DTs in the draft and he is a solid football player who doesn't have off the field issues like some of the other guys on the Horns' roster.
Old 01-28-2010   #20
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm waiting until after the SR bowl to do a complete mock but here's 5 rds. I'll give a choice and a 2nd choice. This is after watching the practices.

Rd 1 D.Williams,Dwyer, ( Iupati, Thomas and Spiller are gone)
Rd 2 K.Wilson, B.Ghee (These are 2 possible no.1 CB's in draft, they fall because draft is loaded at CB)
Rd 3 J.Asamoah,M.Johnson (Asamoah falls because of injury and short arms.) He is a big strong mobile guy, He or Johnson should be here and would be a great pick.
Rd 4 Chris Cook, M.Rolle (Cook is a big athletic CB who has looked good this week playing S.) He can cover the slot WR. Rolle a Rhodes Scholar would be a Smithiak kind of guy
Rd5 Stafon Johnson, L.Coker (Goal line RB at USC has good hands and is good at pass pro. Wouldn't be here except for weight lifting accident, Coker, think Chris Johnson)
Rd 5 Carrington,Newhouse (Has been a revelation this week powerful yet quick at 280lbs he can play DE or drop down to DT in pass rush situations. Newhouse big guy who can move 3 yr starter and team leader)

These are just some observations, let me know if I'm right on evals and what rds these guys go in.
1st RD - It's a tad early for Williams, but really the only place we can grab him. Dwyer could be had later if we traded back.

2nd RD - Dont' see us being able to get Wilson or Ghee. By our pick they will be gone.

3rd RD - Mike Johnson will be gone way before our pick in the 3rd.

4th RD - After the Senior Bowl I seriously doubt Rolle gets out of the 3rd round.

5th RD - Carrington has had a good Senior Bowl and he should be available in our pick area. His game is very similar to A. Smith's though.

- The Immortal Bo

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read