Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-23-2010   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Hind sight is 20/20: RUNNINGBACKS

In your opinion, what do you think of Scout.com's 2009 RB rankings?

Knowshon Moreno....... 5 Star
Beanie Wells............... 5 Star
Donald Brown............. 5 Star
LeSean McCoy............. 5 Star
Rashad Jennings......... 4 Star

etc.. etc..

Is there anyone on the list they over-rated?

Anyone they under-rated?

Anyone they left off the list?
Old 01-23-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hind sight is 20/20: RUNNINGBACKS

[quote=thunderkyss;1353691]In your opinion, what do you think of Scout.com's 2009 RB rankings?

etc.. etc..

Anyone they under-rated?

Anyone they left off the list?[/QUOTE]

Shonn Greene?
Old 01-23-2010   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In your opinion, what do you think of Scout.com's 2009 RB rankings?

etc.. etc..

Anyone they under-rated?

Anyone they left off the list?
Shonn Greene?
Follow the link, Shonn Greene is on that list. I want your opinion of Scout.com's list, not mine. I don't have a list.

Do you think Scout.com over-rated or under-rated any of the RBs from the 2009 draft?
Old 01-23-2010   #4
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, I missed the link. I think that they have Jennings way overrated as well as Ringer, Davis, A Brown and Goodson. I think that the others are pretty good. I do not really know as I have not had the opportunity to watch much of them.
Old 01-23-2010   #5
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

shonn greene and beanie wells are the best rbs of 09 imo.
SteveSlaton20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we've seen enough of them to make a firm judgment yet, but I'll throw in my two cents on what we've seen so far.

Wells looked good behind a terrible line
Greene looked good behind a great line
Ringer only got 8 touches but picked up 6 YPC
Moreno has been what I said he was. How does a 1st rounder average 3.8 YPC in Denver?
Rashad Jennings was better than I thought he'd be. 39 touches isn't enough to draw a conclusion though.
Coffee was pretty terrible. I never quite understood the flaming man crush people had for him.
Donald Brown didn't really get a fair shake behind Indie's line.
L.McCoy was adequate, but certainly not the best in the draft as some people around here held him up to be.
James Davis was worse than his low billing would have lead you to believe.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I don't think we've seen enough of them to make a firm judgment yet, but I'll throw in my two cents on what we've seen so far.
Thanks for your reply.

I agree, it's too early to tell if these guys were worthy of their draft spots. It will be years before we can determine that.

Right now, I'm asking if Scout.com know what they're talking about.

I don't know these players from Adam. Just trying to analyze my sources.
Old 01-24-2010   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59115 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I agree, it's too early to tell if these guys were worthy of their draft spots. It will be years before we can determine that.

Right now, I'm asking if Scout.com know what they're talking about.

I don't know these players from Adam. Just trying to analyze my sources.
I think there rankings were pretty much on par going into last years draft but there rating system sucks. They need to put a little more effort into that end.

2010 Scout.com NFL Draft Rankings Year:
Prospects by: Overall Rank | POSITION | College | Home State | Name
Position:RB

Rank Rating Name Yr Ht/Wt/40 College Home
RB 1 C.J. Spiller SR 5-11/195/- Clemson Lake Butler, FL
RB 2 Jonathan Dwyer JR 6-0/235/- Georgia Tech Marietta, GA
RB 3 Jahvid Best JR 5-10/185/- California Richmond, CA
RB 4 Ryan Mathews JR 5-11.5/220/- Fresno State Bakersfield, CA
RB 5 Anthony Dixon SR 6-1/235/- Mississippi State Terry, MS
RB 6 Toby Gerhart JR 6-1/235/- Stanford Norco, CA
RB 7 Joe McKnight JR 6-0/180/- USC River Ridge, LA
RB 8 Joique Bell SR 5-11/212/- Wayne State (Michigan) Benton Harbor, MI
RB 9 Ben Tate SR 5-11/217/- Auburn Snow Hill, MD
RB 10 Charles Scott SR 6-0/234/- LSU Jonesboro, LA
RB 11 Montario Hardesty SR 6-0/215/- Tennessee New Bern, NC
RB 12 James Starks SR 6-2/206/- Buffalo Niagara Falls, NY
RB 13 Chris Brown SR 5-10/190/- Oklahoma Alexandria, LA
RB 14 Andre Anderson SR 6-0/216/- Tulane Stone Mountain, GA
RB 15 Keith Toston SR 6-1/210/- Oklahoma State Angleton, TX
RB 16 Stafon Johnson SR 6-1/210/- USC Los Angeles, CA
RB 17 Joseph Turner SR 6-1/225/- TCU Austin, TX
RB 18 LeGarrette Blount SR 6-2/240/- Oregon Perry, FL
RB 19 LaMarcus Coker SR 5-10/205/- Hampton Antioch, TN
RB 20 Darius Marshall JR 5-10/189/- Marshall Milledgeville, GA
RB 21 Andre Dixon SR 6-1/202/- Connecticut New Brunswick, NJ
RB 22 Roy Upchurch SR 6-0/191/- Alabama Tallahassee, FL
RB 23 Javarris James SR 6-0/200/- Miami (FL) Immokalee, FL

These rankings are pretty close to what I have also. The top 6 are dead on. I have Hardesty and Blount rated alot higher though.
Old 01-24-2010   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I have Hardesty and Blount rated alot higher though.
Speaking of Blount.... how would you feel if Smithiak passed on the top 6, addressing other needs early in the draft, then take Blount later in the draft?

Not saying that it is likely we'll go after a "character" guy.. but what if?
Old 01-24-2010   #10
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59115 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Speaking of Blount.... how would you feel if Smithiak passed on the top 6, addressing other needs early in the draft, then take Blount later in the draft?

Actually I could live with that. Blounts stock obviously took a hit this year with the pucnching incident. He made a mistake for sure but he is just a kid and seems to have learned from the mistake. If he truly has then some team is going to get good value from him in the later rounds. I would love for it to be us.

How about something like this

1. Mike Iupati, G, Idah
10 year starter and someone to run behind in short yardage situations.

2. Chad Jones S 6'3" 218 LSU
A Pollard clone with better cover skills. Now we have 2 safeties that will knock the piss out you. Yeh throw it over the middle Peyton, please!

3. Maurkice Pouncey* C 6'5" 312 Florida
Could probably start right away and be an upgrade at LG and eventually take over for Myers in the middle.

4. Kyle Wilson CB 5'10" 190 Boise State
Solid return man and cover corner who likes to hit. Isnt big enough to knock the piss out of you but hits hard enough to knock a drop or two out.

5. LeGarrette Blount SR 6-2/240/- Oregon
If maturity level checks out this is a way better value here than Gerhart in the second or third. "Think of him like a mini Brandon Jacobs with more speed"-Mike Mayock

5. Boo Robinson DT 6'2" 326 Wake Forest
Another DT for the rotation.

6. Javarris James Running Back University of Miami
Looked like a solid ZB RB in the Shrine practices.

Watch these videos with an open mind of Blount and Gerhart and tell me what the big difference is talent wise. I dont see much difference.

Side note: Who ever made the Toby highlight needs to be kicked in the balls for showing the same highlight over and over from every angle ever concieved. Man that irritates the sheet out of me.

Last edited by mussop; 01-24-2010 at 01:51 PM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If Smithiak waits until the later rds of the draft my 2 5th rd. picks would be
Stafon Johnson and my favorite Lamarcus Coker. Coker is also a dynamic KR/PR.

Johnson was USC's main goal line RB (he was very good at this job) until his injury.

Steals in the 5th rd. IMO
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #12
was385
Rookie

I really don't think we can judge them that well. As someone said, Shonn Greene is running behind a great line, while someone like Donald Brown is running behind a poor run blocking line out of the shotgun normally.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I was surprised that J.Johnson was rated 3 stars like Foster as he is noted at 198- 209lbs with slow speed. I was fan of Jennings and will probably follow his pro career as one that "got away".
Old 01-25-2010   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually I could live with that. Blounts stock obviously took a hit this year with the pucnching incident. He made a mistake for sure but he is just a kid and seems to have learned from the mistake. If he truly has then some team is going to get good value from him in the later rounds. I would love for it to be us.

How about something like this

1. Mike Iupati, G, Idah
10 year starter and someone to run behind in short yardage situations.

2. Chad Jones S 6'3" 218 LSU
A Pollard clone with better cover skills. Now we have 2 safeties that will knock the piss out you. Yeh throw it over the middle Peyton, please!

3. Maurkice Pouncey* C 6'5" 312 Florida
Could probably start right away and be an upgrade at LG and eventually take over for Myers in the middle.

4. Kyle Wilson CB 5'10" 190 Boise State
Solid return man and cover corner who likes to hit. Isnt big enough to knock the piss out of you but hits hard enough to knock a drop or two out.

5. LeGarrette Blount SR 6-2/240/- Oregon
If maturity level checks out this is a way better value here than Gerhart in the second or third. "Think of him like a mini Brandon Jacobs with more speed"-Mike Mayock

5. Boo Robinson DT 6'2" 326 Wake Forest
Another DT for the rotation.

6. Javarris James Running Back University of Miami
Looked like a solid ZB RB in the Shrine practices.

Watch these videos with an open mind of Blount and Gerhart and tell me what the big difference is talent wise. I dont see much difference.

Side note: Who ever made the Toby highlight needs to be kicked in the balls for showing the same highlight over and over from every angle ever concieved. Man that irritates the sheet out of me.
I would jump all over this mock and it addresses need positions with players that should be there. I question only Blount, but in 5th I would accept the selection. Most remember him for the punch but he was suspended season before also with coach conflicts. I can over look this as the coach left and new guy re-instated Blount but curiously he did not participate in all the voluntary practices. Seems like he would want to show new coach he was trying to change. I feel the need for a power back is so huge I'd rather not gamble only on this player, unless you had more of a guarantee that Foster is the real deal. WHat do you have on the other back you chose?

link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeGarrette_Blount
Old 01-25-2010   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Another reason you want to take Blount in the 5th rd is $.

You dont want to give Blount high draft pick $ and watch him go crazy with it. I.E. making it rain.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Another reason you want to take Blount in the 5th rd is $.

You dont want to give Blount high draft pick $ and watch him go crazy with it. I.E. making it rain.
I doubt Blount gets drafted at all. He will get picked up as a UDFA somewhere though.

He can't catch out of the backfield, he can't pass protect, he doesn't move well laterally, and he lacks top end speed. Plus he has had a multitude of attitude problems not even counting the Boise St incident.

He is basically a goal line back at the next level.

But he is a "big back" so of course this board will be all over his balls.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I doubt Blount gets drafted at all. He will get picked up as a UDFA somewhere though.

He can't catch out of the backfield, he can't pass protect, he doesn't move well laterally, and he lacks top end speed. Plus he has had a multitude of attitude problems not even counting the Boise St incident.

He is basically a goal line back at the next level.

But he is a "big back" so of course this board will be all over his balls.
Let me guess, Todd McShay? Watch the guy play and you will see your assesment of him is innacurate. You are right that he might not get drafted but it wont be because of lack of talent.
Old 01-25-2010   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me guess, Todd McShay? Watch the guy play and you will see your assesment of him is innacurate. You are right that he might not get drafted but it wont be because of lack of talent.
I don't listen to McShay. Look into my post history and you will see my stance on him is well documented. He is garbage.

I watch the players on my own time. I do my own research. I look at a couple of sites to confirm or maybe change my stance on a player. But everything I say about a guy is things I have seen with my own eyes. I don't just repeat things I have heard elsewhere.

I hope I don't come off as arrogant but very few people on this board are right more than I am when it comes to draft time. So no offense intended, but I'm gonna trust my eyes over yours on this one.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #19
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't listen to McShay. Look into my post history and you will see my stance on him is well documented. He is garbage.

I watch the players on my own time. I do my own research. I look at a couple of sites to confirm or maybe change my stance on a player. But everything I say about a guy is things I have seen with my own eyes. I don't just repeat things I have heard elsewhere.

I hope I don't come off as arrogant but very few people on this board are right more than I am when it comes to draft time. So no offense intended, but I'm gonna trust my eyes over yours on this one.
No use bah. Blount is a big RB so many people on this board are going to want him. A lot of them will have legitimate reasons and arguments, but there is also the whole "big back" crowd that just wants him for that sole purpose. These are the same people that are convinced that we need a 360 lb NT to stop the run.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Well as of now it looks like you are off to a bad start.

LaGarrette Blount/RB/Oregon: Blount was a late addition to the Senior Bowl, and he displayed the skills which made him such a highly rated running back coming into the season. He ran tough between the tackles and showed a burst, which many did not know he possessed.

We'll see.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read