Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-24-2010   #21
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlovers Early Texans 2010 Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I was intially cold on Mike Johnson he get's so much exposure for an offensive guard, but when I looked at tape he blew me away. He is an elite pulling guard, always downfield impaling would be tacklers. Since Alabama does not pass the ball that much I just figured he lacked pass blocking skills, again not the case. Decent anchor & hand punch to stiffle bull rush & athletic enough to use footwork to reposition on spin moves.
WOW! We must have watched completely different games. I think he is one of the most overrated players in this draft. Right behind your boy Mays.
Old 01-24-2010   #22
texdawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 2455 texdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respected

Beerlover--I absolutely agree that improving the rushing attack should be priority one this offseason. A better rushing attack means more TOP and we all know that the best defense is the defense that sets on the bench.

I like your approach. C J Spiller reminds me of a bigger Eric Metcalf. If he falls to 20, he is an immediate impact player. Usually, I'm against taking RB's in first round unless a team is very close and needs that extra umph to push them over the top. The Texans are very close IMO and the pick is warranted.

Adding Dixon as a power back puts the whole team on notice that the rushing attack is now longer a compliment to the passing game but a real threat.

The only critique I would offer is to suggest maybe an additional O-line prospect in round 6. Maybe somebody who can be inserted in short yardage jumbo type situations. A mauler, not a finese blocker.

The two most glarring needs for the Texans---consistent rushing attack with improved red zone and short yardage conversion ability and special teams improvement kicking and returning, can be solved with your draft.

I really like this approach and if the draft fell this way, not just playoffs, deep in the playoffs.
Old 01-24-2010   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdawg View Post
Beerlover--I absolutely agree that improving the rushing attack should be priority one this offseason. A better rushing attack means more TOP and we all know that the best defense is the defense that sets on the bench.

I like your approach. C J Spiller reminds me of a bigger Eric Metcalf. If he falls to 20, he is an immediate impact player. Usually, I'm against taking RB's in first round unless a team is very close and needs that extra umph to push them over the top. The Texans are very close IMO and the pick is warranted.

Adding Dixon as a power back puts the whole team on notice that the rushing attack is now longer a compliment to the passing game but a real threat.

The only critique I would offer is to suggest maybe an additional O-line prospect in round 6. Maybe somebody who can be inserted in short yardage jumbo type situations. A mauler, not a finese blocker.

The two most glarring needs for the Texans---consistent rushing attack with improved red zone and short yardage conversion ability and special teams improvement kicking and returning, can be solved with your draft.

I really like this approach and if the draft fell this way, not just playoffs, deep in the playoffs.
excellent feeback, thanks.

to your critique suggesting additional O-Line prospect, yeah I would go for it if he was someone this coaching staff liked. After adding Mike Johnson the Texans starting lineup is LT Brown, LG Johnson, C Caldwell, RG Brisel, RT Winston, with reserves C/OG Chris Myers, OG Kassey Studdard, OG/C Chris White & OT Rashad Butler. Still have LG Chester Pitts unsigned so that would be 9 under contract, Pitts would be 10 another draft pick 11 most likely on PS. I was after impact players who make 53 man roster & if not starting provide key minutes while adding depth.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #24
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Spiller is an impact player regardless if he lasts this far. It's a best case scenero, unless Earl Thomas is on the board who I also would love Texans to draft. Just a random pull of GBN's 'Big Board' C. J. Spiller is rated #20 while Thomas is #16 which when I did my 1st rd. mock a couple weeks ago is excatly where I had both players going (Thomas to 49'ers #16, Spiller to Texans #20) so at least I'm consistent.

I was intially cold on Mike Johnson he get's so much exposure for an offensive guard, but when I looked at tape he blew me away. He is an elite pulling guard, always downfield impaling would be tacklers. Since Alabama does not pass the ball that much I just figured he lacked pass blocking skills, again not the case. Decent anchor & hand punch to stiffle bull rush & athletic enough to use footwork to reposition on spin moves.

Dixon stocks rising, fast. He would be the Texans power-back in short yardage & appropiate pick in 3rd given Texans lack of power running game. If he is off the board (likely) I have no problem taking a power back later, then maybe getting a CB or FS here where the last good ones are still available.

Joseph is a beast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu9sFXqtPUk

We're at least on the same page

I'm pretty sure the Texan will draft a cover LB somewhere, Im just hoping its not any earlier than this, its a deep group.

Long snapper is a dire need, its always in flux & when Owen went down Dreessen stepped up but it was too much with all the starting reps @ TE. I wouldn't mind I guess if they went TE in the 7th, kept Pittman for long snapping duties, really liked what I saw today in Shrine from a solid TE group Pitta, BYU (gone) Nathan Overbay, E. Washington, 6-5 270 like an extra LT with good hands. In the final cut went with a top tier Long Snapper because I want to see drastic improvement in special teams & continue Dreessen reps @ TE.
I know you like Spiller here, and I am actually warming up to the idea of an offensive weapon. Providing, of course, Thomas or another elite prospect are still available.

Yeah, Johnson is a polarizing player. And it is hard to scout guards. I currently have Johnson as the 3rd best guard after Iupati and Asamoah.

If we are looking for a power back, I would wait a round and take Joique Bell or Charles Scott. I really dislike Dixon for some reason.

Edds is my favorite cover backer, but not great value for the Texans in the 3rd. So waiting this long is a good idea, and you used all the right adjectives to get us interested in this player.

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying Long Snapping is not important. I just think we can get this guy as a UDFA.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
WOW! We must have watched completely different games. I think he is one of the most overrated players in this draft. Right behind your boy Mays.
I'm was not the biggest Johnson fan in the world but if you break down game film he would be ideal for Texans ZBS with or without Gibbs. I would like to see him engaged longer in protection situations but for the most part Alabama is a running attack so his assingments require him to attack 2nd level, he's just so active, very athletic, which transcends to desired, balanced Kubiak signature offense

it wouldn't surprise me if this is the only pick I get right
Old 01-24-2010   #26
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm was not the biggest Johnson fan in the world but if you break down game film he would be ideal for Texans ZBS with or without Gibbs. I would like to see him engaged longer in protection situations but for the most part Alabama is a running attack so his assingments require him to attack 2nd level, he's just so active, very athletic, which transcends to desired, balanced Kubiak signature offense

it wouldn't surprise me if this is the only pick I get right
It wouldnt surprise me if we drafted him either. He is a mirror image of Caldwell when he was at Bama. After rereading my previous post let me clarify something. When talking about getting to the second level I was refering to him when he pulled and was in open space. Thats when he looks lost to me. He is pretty good at getting to the second level in the box.

I rate him a little higher than I did Caldwell coming out simply because he is a better run blocker. I say a late third at best which is where we will be so we'll see.
Old 01-24-2010   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This is not Madden! No body does that in real life, nobody. There are only so many roster spots and you have to make sure you have quality depth at your backup spots in case of injuries.
Old 01-24-2010   #28
texdawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 2455 texdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respectedtexdawg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is not Madden! No body does that in real life, nobody. There are only so many roster spots and you have to make sure you have quality depth at your backup spots in case of injuries.
For the record mussop, i'm 52 yrs old. I do not play Madden.

We can disagree about drafting a player and what direction we think is best for Texans, no problem at all. Thats the fun and educational part of participating in these discussions.

I agree with you that a team should not draft a player just for those short yardage situations only. The guy should be also a legit rotation guy also. I did not mean for my comments to suggest otherwise.

As for teams having a jumbo type of short yardage plan, many teams have used DT's in place of TE's. I recall TB using Sapp. The Bears used "Refrigerator" Perry as a back. Many more examples can be found. I don't know about Madden, but teams have used jumbo packages for as long as I can remember. I just think the Texans could use some help with their jumbo package.
Old 01-24-2010   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
That's a shame... uh... not the 52 year old part, but the part about not playing Maden. It's a really good game. I can understand not buying the game every year, but every football fan should own at least one version.

Old 01-24-2010   #30
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:

We can disagree about drafting a player and what direction we think is best for Texans, no problem at all. Thats the fun and educational part of participating in these discussions.

I agree with you that a team should not draft a player just for those short yardage situations only. The guy should be also a legit rotation guy also. I did not mean for my comments to suggest otherwise.

As for teams having a jumbo type of short yardage plan, many teams have used DT's in place of TE's. I recall TB using Sapp. The Bears used "Refrigerator" Perry as a back. Many more examples can be found. I don't know about Madden, but teams have used jumbo packages for as long as I can remember. I just think the Texans could use some help with their jumbo package.
Thats all I was trying to do, I didnt mean to insult you. Sorry if you took it that way. For future references NEVER take anyting I say personal. Im just here to talk football. I may come off as an ass sometimes but I asure you its not intentional.
Old 01-24-2010   #31
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77717 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Really? I have him falling to the Texans 6th. The guy spent a year out of football. A year. Remember Clarrett (SP?) after his little hiatus?

Clarrett and Rolle have nothing in common.

1. Clarrett missed a year because he's an ***** and tried to leave early even though he was ineligible. He then hired an agent and was unable to return to college.

2. Clarrett has had conduct issues his entire career and is now in prison.

3. Rolle has always had his stuff together and took a year off to study in England after winning the Rhodes Scholarship.

He is not only a success on the field, but off of it as well. He won't last till the 5th.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You really believe Spiller will still be there? Is there another RB that you believe will go higher? I can't believe we would be the first to draft a RB.
GBN is a great free website with daily updates here is their latest mock (as of today) & they seem to think Spiller will be there- http://www.gbnreport.com/2010projection.html

January 25, 2010
*Denotes underclssman

1 St. Louis Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
2 Detroit *Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
3 Tampa Bay *Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
4 Washington *Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
5 Kansas City *Eric Berry SS Tennessee
6 Seattle *Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
7 Cleveland *Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
8 Oakland *Joe Haden CB Florida
9 Buffalo Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
10 Denver (from Chicago) *Dez Byant WR Oklahoma State
11 Jacksonville *Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida
12 Miami *Rolando McClain LB Alabama
13 San Francisco Sergio Kindle LB Texas
14 Seattle (from Denver) *Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
15 New York Giants *Earl Thomas SS Texas
16 Tennessee *Brian Price DT UCLA
17 San Francisco (from Carolina) Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
18 Pittsburgh Mike Iupati OG Idaho
19 Atlanta Taylor Mays FS Southern California
20 Houston C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
21 Cincinnati *Golden Tate WR Notre Dame
22 New England Ricky Sapp DE Clemson
23 Green Bay *Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
24 Philadelphia Brandon Spikes LB Florida
25 Baltimore *Damian Williams WR Southern California
26 Arizona Brandon Graham DE Michigan
27 Dallas *Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
28 San Diego *Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
29 New York Jets *Arrelious Benn WR Illinois
30 Minnesota Colt McCoy QB Texas
31 New Orleans *Everson Griffin DE Southern California
32 Indianapolis Jared Odrick DT Penn State

Not that I'm the biggest fan of this mock because they have several prospects that don't belong in the 1st even worse picked ahead of Texans, thus pushing down much better prospects. One being Anthony Davis, OT Rutgers, Todd McShay listed him as his #4 overall prospect in this draft while covering East West Shrine game, I tend to agree in my opinion he is next Ryan Clady, franchise tackle, how could the Texans pass on that?

Bottom line is sometimes people, myself included, make picks based on team needs, but when they become too far off base in terms of bpa then they fail. Spiller is going to be around the Texans pick based off not only team needs but with rich underclassman class adding depth to 2010 draft. That said I would feel a little better if the Texans win the coin toss w/Atlanta
Old 01-25-2010   #33
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed with fixing the run game.

Your mock shows that commitment that's for sure.

Now I get what your saying.

I want the run game to improve too. It should be job 1. I would just go about it a little differently.

Spiller would certianly be a great weapon out of the slot. Like Harvin

It also would allow JJ to become the no.2 receiver and Kevin Walter to walk. The offense would be alot more explosive. Plus they could use the $ they didn't spend on Walter to get help on the OL. In addition to the draft pick.

I could get on board with this.
Would allow us to use Slaton like the Saints use Reggie. He is a better running back, and is pretty good out of the backfield/slot.
Old 01-25-2010   #34
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have to agree with Beerlover on Mike Johnson. I watched him at least two games & I think he will do pretty well. Seems a bit stiff but that may be due to his size. I, too was concerned at first about his blocking skills on passing plays but that too is alleviated. I'm more concerned than BL how he will adjust to ZBs, but going straight ahead, he is a mauler like Iupati. I have him rated behind Asamoah and also Mitch Petrus 6'3" 315 5.09 from Arkansas.
Old 01-25-2010   #35
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I have to agree with Beerlover on Mike Johnson. I watched him at least two games & I think he will do pretty well. Seems a bit stiff but that may be due to his size. I, too was concerned at first about his blocking skills on passing plays but that too is alleviated. I'm more concerned than BL how he will adjust to ZBs, but going straight ahead, he is a mauler like Iupati. I have him rated behind Asamoah and also Mitch Petrus 6'3" 315 5.09 from Arkansas.
You must not of read all my post on him.

Your discription of him is pretty much exactly what I have said. From one of my earlier post.

It wouldnt surprise me if we drafted him either. He is a mirror image of Caldwell when he was at Bama. After rereading my previous post let me clarify something. When talking about getting to the second level I was refering to him when he pulled and was in open space. Thats when he looks lost to me. He is pretty good at getting to the second level in the box.

I rate him a little higher than I did Caldwell coming out simply because he is a better run blocker. I say a late third at best which is where we will be so we'll see.

As far as him adjusting to a ZB scheme, shouldnt be a problem considering Alabama runs a zone blocking scheme.
Old 01-25-2010   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that's pretty high praise maybe I should be the one to rep you

The Texans secondary is evolving into something special & Dunta is a big part of that. As a group, they are smart, read coverages well, know their assingments, are physical in run support & eventually going to become playmakers (Int's/forced fumbles) but not without safety help & that is what Rolle does. I don't get hung up on position if this guys a SS or FS what matters is continuity & range of group together on the field. I think he can play up in nickle or last line of defense & this would allow Pollard freedom to get after QB's which you know they're going to get nervous about. The more versatile our DB's are the more unpredictable they become & guys like Manning are going to have a harder time picking them apart, but you have to be smart about it, which should be easy for a Rhodes Scholar.

Already addressed the RB situation, but in my scenero both Moats & Brown are cut. So really its an overnight transformation. Drastic? Yes but much needed & I want Kubiak to be our coach but not with these backs currently on his roster.
I can see this happening
Old 01-25-2010   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
You must not of read all my post on him.

Your discription of him is pretty much exactly what I have said. From one of my earlier post.

As far as him adjusting to a ZB scheme, shouldnt be a problem considering Alabama runs a zone blocking scheme.
Yeah, sorry. When I posted I had not read your 2nd post.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read