Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-21-2010   #41
theanswer000
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 theanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden covertheanswer000 could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Mel Kiper Mock is on Insider

he is just messing.

C.J. Spiller is our guy.
theanswer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #42
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34219 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
You don't need a 350 lb NT to stop the run. If you didn't notice the D did just fine last year stuffing the run. We were 10th in rush yds against and 14th in avg yds per carry against. That's a little above average. We did that while in the 1st year of a new system that included us giving up 250 rush yds a game in the first 3 games of the season. This defense proved they can stop the run w/o a 360 lb guy in the middle. We actually had a top 10 defense during the last 2 months of the season, but injuries on offense, turnovers, and redzone inconsistency doomed us once again.

We run a 4-3, not a 3-4. A NT is not a necessity. This obsession with it is getting quite annoying actually. Price had an excellent career in college and he can play at the pro level. If he can shoot gaps and make plays then that's all we need. Besides, if one of the DT's is eating a double team then that leaves Demeco & Co. free to make plays. I can live with that.

Also, about the whole depth thing. I doubt he would be on the field every snap. DT's add depth because they are always rotating. At least that's my interpretation of Kiper's analysis.
You are misunderstanding the principle behind the wanting the space eating/bigger/stronger DT/NT opposite the UT. If a player in that position can eat up 2 blockers, the smaller UT should have a better opportunity to shoot the gap or gain a 1 on 1. If your DT/NT can collapse the pocket these are other things that should fall in line:
The DEs have a better shot at reaching the QB
The timing of both running/passing plays is disrupted
The opposing OL don't reach the 2nd level in their blocking assignments
LBs are freed up immensely
Secondary doesn't have to cover as long.

Don't get caught up on our stats; plus I think next years' opponents have stronger rushing attacks vs this year
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #43
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by playa465 View Post
You are misunderstanding the principle behind the wanting the space eating/bigger/stronger DT/NT opposite the UT. If a player in that position can eat up 2 blockers, the smaller UT should have a better opportunity to shoot the gap or gain a 1 on 1. If your DT/NT can collapse the pocket these are other things that should fall in line:
The DEs have a better shot at reaching the QB
The timing of both running/passing plays is disrupted
The opposing OL don't reach the 2nd level in their blocking assignments
LBs are freed up immensely
Secondary doesn't have to cover as long.

Don't get caught up on our stats; plus I think next years' opponents have stronger rushing attacks vs this year
That phylosophy is well documented and sound but unfortunaltely our coaching staff doesnt follow it so you are preaching to the choir as they say. Its kind of like the safety position where usually there is a strong safety that is more of a runs support guy and isnt generally as good in coverage and then there is a free safety that is just the opposite. Our coaching staff dont use that phylosophy either. They want their safeties to be interchangeable.
Old 01-23-2010   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Its kind of like the safety position where usually there is a strong safety that is more of a runs support guy and isnt generally as good in coverage and then there is a free safety that is just the opposite. Our coaching staff dont use that phylosophy either. They want their safeties to be interchangeable.
That is until last year when we picked up Eugene Wilson.

Our safeties have followed the more traditional roles since we picked up Eugene. His primary role has been FS. He does have run support duties, but so does every DB in the league.

Dominique Barber, IMO, failed miserably as a SS. Pollard came in and has been our SS ever since. Barber looked better as a FS, which he ended the year playing.

Pollard will generally have coverage responsibilities.... so did Roy Williams, so does Palamalu.

I think going forward, Wilson will be our FS, Pollard will be our SS, and they will be played like most FS/SS combos in the league.
Old 01-23-2010   #45
Redtexan#34
Rookie

Rep Power: 8 Redtexan#34 is a Pro BowlerRedtexan#34 is a Pro Bowler
Default Mel Kiper First Mock Draft

Did anybody with espn insider see who Mel Kiper has the Texans picking in his first mock draft? I let my insider expire.
Redtexan#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #46
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mel Kiper First Mock Draft

Brian Price-DT from UCLA, I sure hope he's wrong.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #47
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a thread about it in the draft forum. Thats also a better place to get your draft info than wasting your money on that Insider crap.
Old 01-23-2010   #48
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Brian Price-DT from UCLA, I sure hope he's wrong.
Yeah this team has too many disruptive interior defensive lineman
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #49
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That phylosophy is well documented and sound but unfortunaltely our coaching staff doesnt follow it so you are preaching to the choir as they say. Its kind of like the safety position where usually there is a strong safety that is more of a runs support guy and isnt generally as good in coverage and then there is a free safety that is just the opposite. Our coaching staff dont use that phylosophy either. They want their safeties to be interchangeable.
I think, with Bush, that philosophy is changing.

We saw more of Dunta being put on the opponents best receiver instead of just playing a side like in pre-Bush days. We saw more of a SS/FS duty split with Pollard playing up in the box and Wilson/Barber/whoever playing more of a FS role. I even think with the drafting of Okam, we saw the possibility of that space-eating NT to clear the way for Amobi/Whoever playing DT.

So, while I would have agreed with you last year, I think they're changing a bit.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #50
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1158 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Would be extremely disappointed if we took a DT in the first this year. Will Price be effective from the first snap he takes? Really hard to tell with DTs.

I think it's a high risk pick and we're in a position next year where we are facing a brutal schedule on paper and we're going to need someone to make a hands down immediate impact with our first rounder.

I like the trade idea proposal here. Except I feel unless Gerhart blows it up in the combine and pro day he'll be there in the second when our next pick comes up. I however, feel like Iupati wouldn't be there so he'd be my first round pick. Set him at one of the guards, get a push for our OL, we'd have a strong backfield of Slaton, Gerhart and Foster. Who knows maybe Jeremiah Johnson will be back healthy and make a case for himself at the third spot.

I'd throw money at Casey Hampton in FA and/or just look for a big body later in the draft. If only this staff could figure out how to get a fire under Okam.
Hampton being a ex-longhorn might be able to light that fire under Okam.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #51
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
Houston Texans
Record: 9-7
Brian Price*, DT, UCLA

"Price is hidden away a bit in such a deep class of defensive linemen, but he's a disruptive force who utilizes great leverage. He should add depth to an improving defense."

Who the hell drafts in the first round to add depth?
So how many Amobi Okoye's do we have to draft before we get it right ?
Old 01-28-2010   #52
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think, with Bush, that philosophy is changing.

We saw more of Dunta being put on the opponents best receiver instead of just playing a side like in pre-Bush days. We saw more of a SS/FS duty split with Pollard playing up in the box and Wilson/Barber/whoever playing more of a FS role. I even think with the drafting of Okam, we saw the possibility of that space-eating NT to clear the way for Amobi/Whoever playing DT.

So, while I would have agreed with you last year, I think they're changing a bit.
Well I don't know about philosophy, but I use to say before last year...when we sent five or six, we couldn't get there. I can't post that anymore. Look after four years you got to understand...the basic philosophy of this football team is we're rushing four and dropping seven. And that isn't going to change untill Gary Kubiak is gone.
Old 01-28-2010   #53
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
So how many Amobi Okoye's do we have to draft before we get it right ?
I don't think Okoye should be compared to Brice. IMO, Okoye shouldn't have been drafted in the first round. Here's College stats of Okoye along with Brice and Williams. Can you choose who's who?

DT #1:

GP: 35
Tackles: 66
TFL: 8
Sack: 2.5
FR: 3

DT #2:

Tackles: 97
TFL: 44.5
Sack: 12.5
FR:

DT #3:

GP: 32
Tackles: 90
TFL: 16
Sack: 4.5
FR: 0
Old 01-28-2010   #54
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Nope....you Just just go ahead an flat out post me that drafting UCLA will put pressure on Manning. And therefore we will whip the Colts one out of two the next three years. You go ahead and post that the Pack ten is a very high conference and these stats will flat out translate into making Manning have itchy feet. You can tell us another one now.
Old 01-28-2010   #55
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nope....you Just just go ahead an flat out post me that drafting UCLA will put pressure on Manning. And therefore we will whip the Colts one out of two the next three years. You go ahead and post that the Pack ten is a very high conference and these stats will flat out translate into making Manning have itchy feet. You can tell us another one now.
Huh?

It's been a while since I've had to use the ttpete decoder.
Old 01-28-2010   #56
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I don't think Okoye should be compared to Brice. IMO, Okoye shouldn't have been drafted in the first round. Here's College stats of Okoye along with Brice and Williams. Can you choose who's who?

DT #1:

Tackles: 66
TFL: 8
Sack: 2.5
FR: 3

DT #2:

Tackles: 97
TFL: 44.5
Sack: 12.5
FR:

DT #3:

GP: 32
Tackles: 90
TFL: 16
Sack: 4.5
FR: 0
None of those are Okoye.

2006 54 tackles 14 TFL 8 sacks
2005 23 tackles 5 TFL .5 sack

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDet...=367&player=91

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #57
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
None of those are Okoye.

2006 54 tackles 14 TFL 8 sacks
2005 23 tackles 5 TFL .5 sack

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDet...=367&player=91
i think he was talking about their collage stats.
Old 01-29-2010   #58
playa465
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 34219 playa465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respectedplaya465 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL...If we take Price I hope all you have said is wrong, but its still funny
playa465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #59
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i think he was talking about their collage stats.
I didn't know they tracked stats for art.

I may have found my new hobby.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #60
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I didn't know they tracked stats for art.

I may have found my new hobby.
Funny I have been working on some collages.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read