Hall of Fame
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Rep Power: 27155
Possible 1st round draft picks for the Texans.
I came up with the idea that every week on Sunday evening I'd start a thread about realistic possible draft picks by round. We can each post players that we feel are appropriate for that round and why and what effect they'd have on the Texans.
Possible 1st round draft picks for the Texans: (Realistic)
1. Earl Thomas-FS, great speed and ball skills though he lacks some height. I think this guy is a distinct possibility and would make a great ballhawking FS to pair with Pollard thus making our Safety positions set for years to come. He'd be of great help to our CB's.
2. Taylor Mays-FS, this guy is a possiblity but I sure hope that we don't take him since he lacks the ball skills we need in a FS. He seems to go for the big hit and not the interception or pass deflection. He's got great size and speed but I think he'd be a better SS or possibly a WLB.
3. Brian Price-DT, 6'02 and 300 lbs. with good penetration ability and seems to me to be more of an UT than a NT. I think we're looking for a NT since we've already go Okoye at UT. I never saw any UCLA games this year but watched his YouTube highlight videos and was unimpressed. For every good play he made there was one where he's pushed laterally and out of the play. He does seem to fit Kollars system of smaller quicker DT's though.
4. Dan Williams-DT/NT, 6'03" and 325 lbs. possibly gone by the time we pick but maybe not. He'd make a great NT in our system, taking up 2 blockers and freeing up Okoye and Smith to make penetration. I'm tired of spending 1st round picks on the D-line but this guy could solidify our line for years to come.
5. Mike Iupati-OG, 6'05" and 330 lbs. this guy is big which doesn't seem to fit our ZBS system but he is also very agile and fit, he's not a big fat guy taking up space. He also seems to have alot of lower body strength where an OG needs it in his legs. His height worries me though, being tall will allow shorter DT's to get under his pads and stand him up.
6. C.J. Spiller-RB, Kubiak stated that they were going to work on the running game this offseason which means RB's and O-linemen. Now I'm not sure they're ready to give up on Slaton after one bad year but Spiller would be perfect for the one cut and go ZBS system. Great speed and quickness. He's not my personal choice in the 1st round but I wouldn't be against it either.
7. Jonathan Dwyer-RB, some may not agree that he's a possibility in the 1st round but this guy most likely won't be available by the time we pick in the 2nd. He'll probably go later 1st or very early 2nd round. Good speed and a larger size that should allow him to take more of the NFL pounding than Spiller.
8. Trent Williams-OT, the Texans want to improve the running game this offseason so working on the O-line is a distinct possibility in the early part of the draft, he's not LT material but could be a possibility at RT if the Texans were to move Eric Winston to RG. Winston didn't have a great year at RT this season so it's a possibility.
9. Bryan Bulaga-OT, same explanation as Trent Williams but this guy could play either LT or RT thus moving Duane Brown inside to LG, doubtful but it's a possibility.
10. Donovan Warren-CB, I never saw this guy play but he's very highly rated with great speed and we sure need help at CB. This pick all depends on whether or not Dunta stays or leaves. I'd sure like to see an upgrade at CB but this isn't the year for it, there aren't very many guys that will be a future #1 CB in this draft.
Let's hear your opinions, other realistic players. Next week I'll post possibilities for the 2nd round if it seems that people here like this idea, so start reading up. This should keep us busy for 7 weeks.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|