Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-15-2010   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 January 2010 mock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think that Suh and Williams will be gone . The question then is , will they pick Cody .

Here's a little trench observation .

The all pro team's offensive line , ten players in total ( 1st and 2nd team ) consist of six first round picks , two second round picks , one fourth round pick , and one undrafted free agent .

The All Pro defensive , eight players total , line has four first round picks , one third , one fourth , one fifth , and one seventh . The first rounders are two DT's and two DE's . I think the one thing you can't measure for a player on the DL is his motor . The road is littered with big , athletic guys , who get out of shape and don't pan out . How a big DT plays and how a QB reacts to the speed of the game are really hard to predict .
Agreed. Also this is a decent class so teams will move to address interior DT needs making a run on them not out of the question, meaning they could all be gone by the 3rd so taking one in 1st or 2nd rd. imperative if the need is there.

There is another name who scares the crap out of me that the Texans might be looking at who just recently declared UCLA DT Brian Price. Had him @ the end of rd. 1 going to the Colts but the more I see of him the more I'm impressed. I think he is worth the 20th pick
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #42
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Agreed. Also this is a decent class so teams will move to address interior DT needs making a run on them not out of the question, meaning they could all be gone by the 3rd so taking one in 1st or 2nd rd. imperative if the need is there.

There is another name who scares the crap out of me that the Texans might be looking at who just recently declared UCLA DT Brian Price. Had him @ the end of rd. 1 going to the Colts but the more I see of him the more I'm impressed. I think he is worth the 20th pick
Lets say something ridiculous happened and McCoy (Gerald) slipped to like. . . pick #10. Would you think he is worth a huge trade-up to get?
Old 01-15-2010   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Lets say something ridiculous happened and McCoy (Gerald) slipped to like. . . pick #10. Would you think he is worth a huge trade-up to get?
Jacksonville? that would be a great pick for them. actually every team could use him guess that's why elite interior DT's go in 1st over most other positions.

But no for Texans, too many needs to trade away picks. I don't really see a huge drop off to Price anyway he just played on a bad team.
Old 01-15-2010   #44
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jacksonville? that would be a great pick for them. actually every team could use him guess that's why elite interior DT's go in 1st over most other positions.

But no for Texans, too many needs to trade away picks. I don't really see a huge drop off to Price anyway he just played on a bad team.
The Jags like really big DTs or so I thought . To me Houston from UT has a high motor and played well in the biggest game . He's a guy I'd take in the 3rd , to go along with __ in the 1st and __ in the 2nd .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #45
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Price in the 1st round scares me. He's a junior and only 300 lbs. I'm afraid that he would not be mature enough, like Okoye, and that we'd have 2 DT's that need to grow up and fill out. Also at only 300 lbs. he seems small to play NT and would seem to be more of an DT/UT. I wouldn't want to take such a big risk on such a questionable player. He seems like he'd be good value in the 2nd round or to a team that has the luxury of allowing him to mature and get bigger if taken in the 1st, but we don't have that luxury. He's to big of a risk/project in the 1st round and he seems very similar to Lamarr Houston who's only a 3rd round projection. I think that Dan Williams has a very good chance of being available at #20 and would be very difficult to turn down. It all depends on what position Kubiak sees as more important OG, DT, RB, CB, or FS.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 01-15-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #46
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
A 330 lb DT who can play is worth way more than most positions . Not that it makes a difference but the Vols have produced some elite big guys . Having said that , if Williams has good workouts , he'll be gone .
I think he stands a strong chance of being available at #20 but what scares me is that Tennessee may take him earlier and then we'd have to face the guy twice a year. Maybe we should learn from Tennessee's example (Haynesworth) that one really powerful big man in the middle is worth his weight in gold.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #47
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Im really hoping we go after a proven DT in FA but it wouldnt surprise me to see us draft Odric, Williams or Price if any were available at 20. I think any one of them would be a good value at 20.
Old 01-15-2010   #48
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Im really hoping we go after a proven DT in FA but it wouldnt surprise me to see us draft Odric, Williams or Price if any were available at 20. I think any one of them would be a good value at 20.
Is Hampton going to be the only FA available that plays nose that won't be affected by the CBA stuff?
Old 01-15-2010   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Jolly will be an RFA. He is playing 3-4 DE but that's like Gary Walker - in a 4-3 he's a DT. 6'3" 325 lbs.

Aubrayo Franklin will be an UFA and plays NT for San Francisco who had a good run D.

Ryan Pickett Green Bay's NT will also be an UFA.
Old 01-15-2010   #50
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Johnny Jolly will be an RFA. He is playing 3-4 DE but that's like Gary Walker - in a 4-3 he's a DT. 6'3" 325 lbs.

Aubrayo Franklin will be an UFA and plays NT for San Francisco who had a good run D.

Ryan Pickett Green Bay's NT will also be an UFA.
Aubrayo Franklin 36 25 11 2 0
Amobi Okoye 37 25 12 1.5
Old 01-15-2010   #51
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 366349 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Aubrayo Franklin 36 25 11 2 0
Amobi Okoye 37 25 12 1.5
Just answering a question, not advocating. I frankly didn't see Franklin enough to have an opinion but have heard good things about him.
Old 01-15-2010   #52
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Jolly gets off on his Drug charges I would be for bringing him home.

They need to get a vet. DT that already knows the ropes of the NFL. The upcoming season isn't the year for OJT. (see OkOye)

A successful offseason in FA would include Jolly and Kuper. Both could be had for reasonable contracts.

I've read that the 49ers are going to cut Nate Clements this offseason. It's an uncapped year and they can get from under his contract with no cap ramifications.

Would you sign him and if so for how many years/$ ?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Just answering a question, not advocating. I frankly didn't see Franklin enough to have an opinion but have heard good things about him.
I've heard good things about him too which is why that's interesting because we don't hear or see the same things in regards to Amobi, yet their numbers are almost identical, just FYI.
Old 01-15-2010   #54
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I've heard good things about him too which is why that's interesting because we don't hear or see the same things in regards to Amobi, yet their numbers are almost identical, just FYI.
I guess it could be a Sharper v. Foreman thing. Looking at profootballfocus.com Franklin has a lot more stops (failed O plays) while Amobi had a ton more QB pressures. Of course Franklin is playing 3-4 NT so that isn't surprising. Might be a great guy to stick next to Amobi.
Old 01-15-2010   #55
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.ourlads.com/pdfs/PhysAttr...NFLSuccess.pdf

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I guess it could be a Sharper v. Foreman thing. Looking at profootballfocus.com Franklin has a lot more stops (failed O plays) while Amobi had a ton more QB pressures. Of course Franklin is playing 3-4 NT so that isn't surprising. Might be a great guy to stick next to Amobi.
If the 49'ers are unable to re-sign him it would force them to use one of their two first rd. picks on a DT like Dan Williams to execute a steller 3-4. so his value to them is higher than numbers alone may indicate, but yeah if the Texans could pry him away without paying Antonio Smith type numbers? guess we're not going to worry about cap hell anymore but still seems like a disproportionate amount of dollars would be spent on the DL.
Old 01-16-2010   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
If the 49'ers are unable to re-sign him it would force them to use one of their two first rd. picks on a DT like Dan Williams to execute a steller 3-4. so his value to them is higher than numbers alone may indicate, but yeah if the Texans could pry him away without paying Antonio Smith type numbers? guess we're not going to worry about cap hell anymore but still seems like a disproportionate amount of dollars would be spent on the DL.
I don't expect the Texans to spend a ton on DT. I think they will expect Barwin to develop as a passing down edge rusher with Smith moving inside. That leaves any new DT as a 2 down player and most likely they won't open the piggy bank too far for that. Whether that is the best course is another matter, but that's what I expect. Having said that I don't think they think another Smith type contract is breaking piggy, but we'll see.
Old 01-16-2010   #58
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
I don't expect the Texans to spend a ton on DT. I think they will expect Barwin to develop as a passing down edge rusher with Smith moving inside. That leaves any new DT as a 2 down player and most likely they won't open the piggy bank too far for that. Whether that is the best course is another matter, but that's what I expect. Having said that I don't think they think another Smith type contract is breaking piggy, but we'll see.
They couldn't really operate assuming that Barwin is going to develop though and not have something bite them in the ass right? I don't think they have to break the bank or anything like that, but we should definitely be in the market for somebody to play NT.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read