Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-14-2010   #41
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safeties 2010 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
None of the 3 guys mentioned are known for anything (Outside of Dominique being the cousin of Marion).

This year on defense, I noticed a very very big difference in the way we played our FS than in years past when we just had two safeties in the backfield and it didn't really matter who could cover and who could hit. The SS this year was definitely more responsible for making sure run plays did not get very far and the FS was in coverage helping the CB's a ton more. To me, this points to the defensive philosophy shifting (Hey what do you know, new DC new philosophy) to a more defined role for each safety position.

Besides, Eugene Wilson is a million years old and isn't exactly the best in the biz, I have to imagine after his injuries last year that we are looking for another "guy who can cover".
Yeah it's really amazing what can happen to a defense once you get a competent coordinator and defensive backs coach.

Wilson's only 29, but you're right in that he's isn't exactly all world and could be replaced. Question becomes is it more pressing then our needs for RB and OL? It's a pretty decent draft for safeties and OL. Really wish they had addressed RB at some point in the draft earlier last year or had given Foster carries sooner so we'd know what we have.

Was Jeremiah Johnson on IR this year? If so what are the chances if he's healthy he could push for snaps as well?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #42
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Yeah it's really amazing what can happen to a defense once you get a competent coordinator and defensive backs coach.

Wilson's only 29, but you're right in that he's isn't exactly all world and could be replaced. Question becomes is it more pressing then our needs for RB and OL? It's a pretty decent draft for safeties and OL. Really wish they had addressed RB at some point in the draft earlier last year or had given Foster carries sooner so we'd know what we have.

Was Jeremiah Johnson on IR this year? If so what are the chances if he's healthy he could push for snaps as well?
I think Johnson was a P. squadder but I could be mistaken.

The OL or the FS is the big choice in my mind, and with that, I think that the Texans address S in the first few rounds. They need DB's any way you slice it and after drafting CB's for a few years (Quinn, Molden, Bennett, etc) they might just get that playmaker. This draft seems pretty stacked with S prospects this year, so I'm hoping that guys fall and we can pick up a really good one.

Darrell Stuckey youtube. Talking with KU fans, they think the guy is a baller, and a good playmaker (NEED).

Where's YTF when you need him?
Old 01-14-2010   #43
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
To me anyway , I think one guard plus Caldwell and then Pitts , Studdard , FA , Myers , and whoever else to play the other guard or center and they'll be much better . Heck , I'd take Iupati but if he's not there , then the Illinois guy in the 3rd , the Alabama guy in the 4th or the Arkansas guy in the 5th .

I would like to see Busing , Barber , and any other 4.7 FS gone . I'd like a faster FS with some ball skills who can hit . I think Berry , Mays , and Thomas are all 1st rounders . I guess Allen is a 2nd rounder and I'm not sure about the rest . To me this is where the rubber meets the road , Iupati or Thomas ?

Then we have RB and that comes down to a 40 time as to how far they rise or fall . I think Ryan Matthews will be the Texans favorite but I can see Ben Tate being their type of guy to . I don't the bigger backs being to their liking unless one shows an explosive burst and is not just big and since Dwyer lined up at FB , he may be great as a TB . Spiller and Best are the big elephant in the room because of guys like CJ , who aren't big but can fly ... do you pass on them .
Iupati would be my first round pick as well if I had any say. Pouncey should be there in the second as well as Asamoah.

Other question is do we make a move on Jahari Evans or Logan Mankins? IF so that fills a big void at one guard. Take any of the top guard or center prospects in the first two rounds and you've got solid group that just needs time to play together.

I think Spiller will go in the first because of his added value as a returner. Best is going to be interesting, but unless he has a killer showing at the combine probably falls into the second and possibly third. I like Tate's value later in the draft and being battle tested in the SEC.
Old 01-14-2010   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To me anyway , I think one guard plus Caldwell and then Pitts , Studdard , FA , Myers , and whoever else to play the other guard or center and they'll be much better . Heck , I'd take Iupati but if he's not there , then the Illinois guy in the 3rd , the Alabama guy in the 4th or the Arkansas guy in the 5th .

I would like to see Busing , Barber , and any other 4.7 FS gone . I'd like a faster FS with some ball skills who can hit . I think Berry , Mays , and Thomas are all 1st rounders . I guess Allen is a 2nd rounder and I'm not sure about the rest . To me this is where the rubber meets the road , Iupati or Thomas ?

Then we have RB and that comes down to a 40 time as to how far they rise or fall . I think Ryan Matthews will be the Texans favorite but I can see Ben Tate being their type of guy to . I don't the bigger backs being to their liking unless one shows an explosive burst and is not just big and since Dwyer lined up at FB , he may be great as a TB . Spiller and Best are the big elephant in the room because of guys like CJ , who aren't big but can fly ... do you pass on them .
For me, Thomas stands out above all FS and if there in 1st is my guy. I have Iupati and Asamoah (Illinois) very close and take the latter in 2nd on my board. RB: both Dwyer and Gerhart are big yardage, huge average and college career consistant. I have Gerhart over Dwyer. MY JJ surprise small school pick Joique Bell is now on the watch list and is ranked round 4-5. Dag nab it. Thought I might slip him in round 6. I am afraid he kills at combine.
Old 01-14-2010   #45
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
For me, Thomas stands out above all FS and if there in 1st is my guy. I have Iupati and Asamoah (Illinois) very close and take the latter in 2nd on my board. RB: both Dwyer and Gerhart are big yardage, huge average and college career consistant. I have Gerhart over Dwyer. MY JJ surprise small school pick Joique Bell is now on the watch list and is ranked round 4-5. Dag nab it. Thought I might slip him in round 6. I am afraid he kills at combine.
A lot of people had Rashad Jennings on their radar as a small school pick, he ended up lasting until late 7th.

Unless Bell has speed to kill (If that's the case I'm willing to put money on second round Raiders) I'd expect when it's all said and done he'll likely last until the 6th.
Old 01-14-2010   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I think Johnson was a P. squadder but I could be mistaken.

The OL or the FS is the big choice in my mind, and with that, I think that the Texans address S in the first few rounds. They need DB's any way you slice it and after drafting CB's for a few years (Quinn, Molden, Bennett, etc) they might just get that playmaker. This draft seems pretty stacked with S prospects this year, so I'm hoping that guys fall and we can pick up a really good one.

Darrell Stuckey youtube. Talking with KU fans, they think the guy is a baller, and a good playmaker (NEED).

Where's YTF when you need him?
JJ#2 was on injured reserve. At 5'9" 200lbs he is an interesting possibility. if draft were to go my way though, he and Moats are gone.
Old 01-14-2010   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
A lot of people had Rashad Jennings on their radar as a small school pick, he ended up lasting until late 7th.

Unless Bell has speed to kill (If that's the case I'm willing to put money on second round Raiders) I'd expect when it's all said and done he'll likely last until the 6th.
Great comparison and hope this is what happens. I think my current board resolves our issues & the players I want have good chance of being there.
Old 01-14-2010   #48
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think Dwyer will emerge as the Johnathon Stewart of this draft . A big guy who can run and is agile for his size . I think he'll go ahead of Gerhart and so might Anthony Dixon .
Old 01-14-2010   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I think Dwyer will emerge as the Johnathon Stewart of this draft . A big guy who can run and is agile for his size . I think he'll go ahead of Gerhart and so might Anthony Dixon .
I can see his comparison also. I really, really, really hope you are correct on those backs going ahead of Gerhart. Push him back, push him back, push him way back...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read