Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-13-2010   #21
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safeties 2010 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Yeh but he forgot to add, instincts of Matt Stevens!

No...u guys exagerate. If he had those kinds of Instincts, he wouldn't even be mentioned as a 1st rounder..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I don't think your significant other would like that very much...
When did I get one of those? oh, you must be refering to the Yamaha wave runner named Steve's Toy. 60 mph!
Old 01-13-2010   #23
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
No...u guys exagerate. If he had those kinds of Instincts, he wouldn't even be mentioned as a 1st rounder..
yeah, from everything i've read one of mays' strength is reading and reacting to the qb. in fact that's all he did his sophmore and junior year. so it was kind of natural for him to struggle with man coverage and the other responsibilities he had to take on his senior year. the biggest knocks on mays is that he's a headhunter rather than a ballhawk and he takes bad angles in pursuit.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #24
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
yeah, from everything i've read one of mays' strength is reading and reacting to the qb. in fact that's all he did his sophmore and junior year. so it was kind of natural for him to struggle with man coverage and the other responsibilities he had to take on his senior year. the biggest knocks on mays is that he's a headhunter rather than a ballhawk and he takes bad angles in pursuit.
Which will absolutely kill you. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you consistently take bad angles.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #25
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
I really don't like the idea of both of our safeties being the same type of player. I think Pollard brings everything that Mays is projected to bring and I think bringing a player who has more ball/coverage skills would compliment the defense the best.
Old 01-14-2010   #26
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I really don't like the idea of both of our safeties being the same type of player. I think Pollard brings everything that Mays is projected to bring and I think bringing a player who has more ball/coverage skills would compliment the defense the best.
Agreed. I'm a fan of Mays and I think he could be great on the right team. But I don't think that team is us.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #27
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Agreed. I'm a fan of Mays and I think he could be great on the right team. But I don't think that team is us.
That team is the Raiders whether it's the right team or not.
Old 01-14-2010   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Which will absolutely kill you. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you consistently take bad angles.
I think Mays would do well in Wade Phillips defense. He may not be great first year but could do well with some training.
Old 01-14-2010   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
But Kubiac does and has drafted accordingly. Could Mays be a part of negotiations with Pollard?
Old 01-14-2010   #30
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Mays is a little faster, but I think Pollard is a leader and tougher. All in all, damn near the same player.
Old 01-14-2010   #31
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
But Kubiac does and has drafted accordingly. Could Mays be a part of negotiations with Pollard?
Where do you get that conclusion? Is Barber, Harrison, and Nolan the same player (Methinks no). Remember, from 2006 - 2008 Richard "All positions should look the same" Smith was in charge of our defense, and I think Kubiak just listens to his DC and position coaches in terms of who to draft for defense.

Also, Kubiak has never drafted a safety before round 5, so I'm not sure he's looking for anything more than backup/depth at safety until now (Which the last part is a total guess, I can only hope that they aren't drafting for safety depth this year).

I think the real question here is what is Frank Bush looking for in a new-blood FS? If the answer is "big hitter small coverage responsibilities" then yeah we should go for the big hitter safeties. Hoping that is not the case though.
Old 01-14-2010   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the real question here is what is Frank Bush looking for in a new-blood FS?
My perception was Bush went much more to the conventional use of safeties and CBs rather than interchangeable sides. Pollard was up in the box much more and Dunta was flipping sides to stay on the #1.
Old 01-14-2010   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Where do you get that conclusion? Is Barber, Harrison, and Nolan the same player (Methinks no). Remember, from 2006 - 2008 Richard "All positions should look the same" Smith was in charge of our defense, and I think Kubiak just listens to his DC and position coaches in terms of who to draft for defense.

Also, Kubiak has never drafted a safety before round 5, so I'm not sure he's looking for anything more than backup/depth at safety until now (Which the last part is a total guess, I can only hope that they aren't drafting for safety depth this year).

I think the real question here is what is Frank Bush looking for in a new-blood FS? If the answer is "big hitter small coverage responsibilities" then yeah we should go for the big hitter safeties. Hoping that is not the case though.
None of the 3 safeties you mentioned are known for skills in coverage. Eugene Wilson is the best coverage FS we have had in years.
Old 01-14-2010   #34
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
None of the 3 safeties you mentioned are known for skills in coverage. Eugene Wilson is the best coverage FS we have had in ever.
Fixed it. Sadly he is.
Old 01-14-2010   #35
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
None of the 3 safeties you mentioned are known for skills in coverage. Eugene Wilson is the best coverage FS we have had in years.
None of the 3 guys mentioned are known for anything (Outside of Dominique being the cousin of Marion).

This year on defense, I noticed a very very big difference in the way we played our FS than in years past when we just had two safeties in the backfield and it didn't really matter who could cover and who could hit. The SS this year was definitely more responsible for making sure run plays did not get very far and the FS was in coverage helping the CB's a ton more. To me, this points to the defensive philosophy shifting (Hey what do you know, new DC new philosophy) to a more defined role for each safety position.

Besides, Eugene Wilson is a million years old and isn't exactly the best in the biz, I have to imagine after his injuries last year that we are looking for another "guy who can cover".
Old 01-14-2010   #36
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Gibb's first year as Secondary Coach at KC they drafted Bernard Pollard in the 2nd round (2006).

I think all of us are in agreement that Bernard Pollard should be our starting SS. That leaves FS as a possible upgrade. A lot might depend on the progress Eugene Wilson shows. He just signed, last year, a 3 year $11.3MM contract with us ($3.85MM gtd). If he shows early signs of being able to play at a starting calibre, I could see us not addressing FS on Day 1.

On the other hand, maybe we draft Earl Thomas. If Wilson is 100%, maybe he starts untill Gibbs/Bush/Kubiak think Thomas is the undisputed starter and takes over (could be game 1 could be a few games in, who knows).
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #37
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Fixed it. Sadly he is.
Yeah, I started o say that but figured somewhere in obscurity a guy was lurking that I had forgotten. Man, if we could just draft a FS, OG, Rb, CB and a center we could be establishing a very solid team. What is scary, that it is very possible we could do just that.
Old 01-14-2010   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
None of the 3 guys mentioned are known for anything (Outside of Dominique being the cousin of Marion).

This year on defense, I noticed a very very big difference in the way we played our FS than in years past when we just had two safeties in the backfield and it didn't really matter who could cover and who could hit. The SS this year was definitely more responsible for making sure run plays did not get very far and the FS was in coverage helping the CB's a ton more. To me, this points to the defensive philosophy shifting (Hey what do you know, new DC new philosophy) to a more defined role for each safety position.

Besides, Eugene Wilson is a million years old and isn't exactly the best in the biz, I have to imagine after his injuries last year that we are looking for another "guy who can cover".
Now that (bolded) is funny right there! I was never a fan of the interchangeable safety philsophy & really like the distinction this last season. It is ok for a corner to come up strong and hit but he darn well better be able to cover also. Pollard really helped the LBs shut down the run. Last draft I was jonesing for Malcom Jenkins and he went to N.O. #14. I hope Earl Thomas goes much sooner if he does not drop to us as I can't stand the tension.
Old 01-14-2010   #39
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah, I started o say that but figured somewhere in obscurity a guy was lurking that I had forgotten. Man, if we could just draft a FS, OG, Rb, CB and a center we could be establishing a very solid team. What is scary, that it is very possible we could do just that.
I can't think of anybody close. C.C Brown...? Nope. Will Demps...? Nope. Marlon McCree...? Maybe, I guess. Not a great squad of safties to choose from...
Old 01-14-2010   #40
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To me anyway , I think one guard plus Caldwell and then Pitts , Studdard , FA , Myers , and whoever else to play the other guard or center and they'll be much better . Heck , I'd take Iupati but if he's not there , then the Illinois guy in the 3rd , the Alabama guy in the 4th or the Arkansas guy in the 5th .

I would like to see Busing , Barber , and any other 4.7 FS gone . I'd like a faster FS with some ball skills who can hit . I think Berry , Mays , and Thomas are all 1st rounders . I guess Allen is a 2nd rounder and I'm not sure about the rest . To me this is where the rubber meets the road , Iupati or Thomas ?

Then we have RB and that comes down to a 40 time as to how far they rise or fall . I think Ryan Matthews will be the Texans favorite but I can see Ben Tate being their type of guy to . I don't the bigger backs being to their liking unless one shows an explosive burst and is not just big and since Dwyer lined up at FB , he may be great as a TB . Spiller and Best are the big elephant in the room because of guys like CJ , who aren't big but can fly ... do you pass on them .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read