Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-13-2010   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wolf6151 January 2010 mock.

I think we have needs at the following positions: CB, OG/C, FS, DT, RB, and then depth at SS and O-line. I think our teams 2 biggest needs are in the secondary and O-line. We haven't invested any high draft picks in the secondary in years or on the interior O-line. I think fixing the O-line will dramatically improve our running game and red zone/short yardage game. As these are our 2 biggest needs they should be addressed early and often. Unfortunately, reality says that the best players at a position of need aren't always available when you pick so you have to make compromises and fill a lesser need first, thus taking the best player available at a position of need. Example: 1st round, I'd love to have Joe Haden but he'll be gone by the 20th pick so we'll have to address other needs with top level talent or take someone else who's not as good at CB. Please keep this in mind while reading this mock draft.

1. Dan Williams-DT, I can't believe that I'm picking this guy either since I'm one of the guys who has repeatedly said we have to many high draft picks invested in the D-line and need to spread around that high level talent. Remember though that Joe Haden won't be available, there are no other CB's worth this high of a draft pick, this is a very deep year for FS/SS and can be had later as well, and good interior O-linemen can be had in later rounds. This guy is a stud DT/NT that we've never had, he'd take up 2 blockers and make Amobi Okoye much better. I really think this guy could complete our D-line. I think this guy would make Okam expendable though we'd still keep Cody and Robinson for depth. D-line:

Antonio Smith, Dan Williams, Amobi Okoye, Mario Williams

2. Nate Allen-FS, he's not on the elite level of Berry or Thomas but he's close and has lots of potential. This is a very deep Safety class so very good talent can be had after the 1st round. Paired with Pollard we'd have our Safety spots filled for years to come.

3. Mitch Petrus-OG, I'm actually not real picky about who we take at OG here, so long as we take the best available OG. It could be Mike Johnson, or Jon Asamoah but they'll probably be gone by this point in the draft.

4. Ben Tate-RB, he's very similar in size to Slaton but I think he's stronger and has good speed. He'd make Moats and Brown expendable. Sad though I really like Moats.

5. J.D. Walton-C, or Eric Olsen-C whoever is available. Hopefully he'd take Myers spot on the line within a year and add a little size to the C position and he and Caldwell would make Myers expendable.

6. Crezdon Butler-CB, this guy has fallen lately, not sure why though he was never real high on draft boards. He's got great speed and size.

6b. Larry Asante-SS, good speed and size, depth behind Pollard, and can't help but be better than Ferguson and Barber.

7. Zoltan Mesko-P, younger and cheaper than Turk and how many times are you going to get the chance to draft someone named Zoltan.

It's not perfect and I wish there were a way to get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick in this draft. Any ideas? Opinions? Thanks.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wolf6151 January 2010 mock.

I think you have a solid G in Petrus in 3rd. Arkansas O is very complicated to learn and he has done well. Over all, I like your picks (mine are better, Haha)except we still don't have a power back. Foster looked good in minimum time but hate to put my eggs in one basket.
Old 01-13-2010   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think you have a solid G in Petrus in 3rd. Arkansas O is very complicated to learn and he has done well. Over all, I like your picks (mine are better, Haha)except we still don't have a power back. Foster looked good in minimum time but hate to put my eggs in one basket.
I don't think we need a power back as much as we need an OL that can get a push and create holes. If you have a line that can do both it's not as important who is running out of the backfield.

Far as the mock goes itself. I'd be pissed if we sunk another top pick in the DL, well unless it is Suh but, that ain't happening.

I think we're better off completing the other side of the line and getting our offense to a point where we can score at will through the air and grind games out with the running game.

IMO if Iupti is there at 19/20, which I'm sure he will be, try and trade back a few spots if possible if not take him then. Plug him in at either guard spot and Caldwell at the other it's less important that we have to wait for your 5th rounder Olsen or Walton (both whom i like) to replace Myers.

In the second round I'd prefer Burnett(if we're looking at safeties) if he's still there if not allen is suitable. Though if Gerhart is in the second I'd likely take him or best CB available.

My third pick would depend on who we took in the second and what position we address. I'd be tempted to address DT is Lamar Houston DT Texas is here. Fills what you're looking for with Williams but, not as high an investment. Could definitely go with your original pick in Petrus here and solidify our line for the forseeable future though.

Other then that I'd run with the rest of your draft.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like you hit all of our needs pretty well.

And I guess we could drop down out of the first if you wanted an extra 3rd this year.

Of course its all personal opinion, but I just cant sink another first round pick into the D-line. No matter how good I feel about Dan Williams. The Dline coaches better get some production out of who they have. And they have a ton of potential.

I am going to focus on the secondary in round 1 with a CB, or safety depending on if Robinson comes back. Mays or Thomas would be great picks.

Second round we can go DT with Marvin Austin, or RB with Best or Dwyer. But knowing the Texans they will wait till round 3/4 to get the RB they covet.

Good job though.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #5
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I don't think we need a power back as much as we need an OL that can get a push and create holes. If you have a line that can do both it's not as important who is running out of the backfield.

Far as the mock goes itself. I'd be pissed if we sunk another top pick in the DL, well unless it is Suh but, that ain't happening.

I think we're better off completing the other side of the line and getting our offense to a point where we can score at will through the air and grind games out with the running game.

IMO if Iupti is there at 19/20, which I'm sure he will be, try and trade back a few spots if possible if not take him then. Plug him in at either guard spot and Caldwell at the other it's less important that we have to wait for your 5th rounder Olsen or Walton (both whom i like) to replace Myers.

In the second round I'd prefer Burnett(if we're looking at safeties) if he's still there if not allen is suitable. Though if Gerhart is in the second I'd likely take him or best CB available.

My third pick would depend on who we took in the second and what position we address. I'd be tempted to address DT is Lamar Houston DT Texas is here. Fills what you're looking for with Williams but, not as high an investment. Could definitely go with your original pick in Petrus here and solidify our line for the forseeable future though.

I agree with you regarding a power RB, it's not necessarily a huge need. Also a power RB doesn't mean he has to be physically large, he just has to be strong and I think Tate fills that roll.

I understand your aversion to taking a DT in the 1st round but honestly I see him as best value available at a position of need. Williams will be a 1st round pick and the other CB's besides Haden would be a reach at 20.

I also like Burnett but I think he'll be gone in the early 2nd round and won't be available by the time we pick.

I like Iupati as well but not at #20, maybe if we traded down and picked up an extra 3rd. I like Petrus in the 3rd and that he and a FA OG should give us alot better O-line.

I also like Lamarr Houston but I think he'll be an DT/UT like Okoye and not a NT.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I have Dan Williams projected earlier. Great young two-gap tackles don't last long, with so many 3-4 teams in need using older &/or more expensive options.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #7
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I have Dan Williams projected earlier. Great young two-gap tackles don't last long, with so many 3-4 teams in need using older &/or more expensive options.
If I had to bet on who we will pick at 20 my top 4 players are Spiller, Dwyer, Williams and Odrick. IMO RB and DT will be our focus early unless we fill those needs in FA.
Old 01-13-2010   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
If I had to bet on who we will pick at 20 my top 4 players are Spiller, Dwyer, Williams and Odrick. IMO RB and DT will be our focus early unless we fill those needs in FA.
Kubes said at his last presser fixing the run game would be a top priority.

His 2008 last presser he said getting playmakers on defense was a priority. Cushing,Barwin and Quin were drafted in rds 1,2 and 4.

I think out of the first 3 rds you will see a RB and a OL taken with 2 of those picks.

McNair spoke of this team needing more leadership. I hope he brings in one vet. OL and one vet DT to help lead the way.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #9
whiskeyrbl

In my first 3 rd's I would look at OG,FS and RB and hopefully it would fall this way

RD1 Iupati OG

RD2 Major Wright FS

RD3 Toby Gerhart RB

In FA I would target Richard Seymore DT and Tramon Williams CB( if we release Dunta).
Old 01-14-2010   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Most everyone recognizes both Oline and RB as dire need of improvement. We can address LG and Rb in first two rounds. It is not like we have to ignore one if we draft the other in first. My concern is both premier power backs, Dwyer and Gerhart will be gone by round #2 when we select. There will be high quality guards available.
Old 01-14-2010   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice job.

I dont think Williams will be there. As people have said, talented DT's go earl, especially those who can play the nose in the 3-4.

I like the safety, good idea. I probably would have gone for a back, but safety is a need.

Petrus is a good pick. Maybe not the most athletically gifted guy, but he is mean and field smart.

Not a fan of Tate. He just never stood out to me when watching the Iowa games. Probably would take a corner here.

If Walton is available, the Texans better run to the podium. I have him as a 3rd, maybe 4th rounder.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Nice job.

I dont think Williams will be there. As people have said, talented DT's go earl, especially those who can play the nose in the 3-4.

I like the safety, good idea. I probably would have gone for a back, but safety is a need.

Petrus is a good pick. Maybe not the most athletically gifted guy, but he is mean and field smart.

Not a fan of Tate. He just never stood out to me when watching the Iowa games. Probably would take a corner here.

If Walton is available, the Texans better run to the podium. I have him as a 3rd, maybe 4th rounder.

This is not surprising as Auburn did not play Iowa this year.
Old 01-14-2010   #13
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most everyone recognizes both Oline and RB as dire need of improvement. We can address LG and Rb in first two rounds. It is not like we have to ignore one if we draft the other in first. My concern is both premier power backs, Dwyer and Gerhart will be gone by round #2 when we select. There will be high quality guards available.
Hey if Gerhart and/or Dwyer are there in the second awesome. I'm simply trying to point out that last year and looks like again this year people are looking for a "power back" for our backfield. I'm just saying we don't NEED one to improve the running game necessarily.

Also like as Wolf pointed out there's good value in a guy like Ben Tate later in the draft IF we address the interior of the OL early.

I agree though take RB or OG or C in first and second the offense should be able to score at will and grind out games if they need to.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey if Gerhart and/or Dwyer are there in the second awesome. I'm simply trying to point out that last year and looks like again this year people are looking for a "power back" for our backfield. I'm just saying we don't NEED one to improve the running game necessarily.

Also like as Wolf pointed out there's good value in a guy like Ben Tate later in the draft IF we address the interior of the OL early.

I agree though take RB or OG or C in first and second the offense should be able to score at will and grind out games if they need to.
Right now we're just throwing out names . If Gerhart hits a 4.7 at the combine and Ryan Matthews hits a 4.4 , he'll be the chosen one .

I think you decide what are the main needs , me G/C , RB , CB? , FS . At #20 , I'm picking the best player at those positions , keeping in mind the drop off from that player to the next at his position . The exception would be if a guy that was rated as a top 10 pick fell .

If I think Iupati is a future pro bowler and the next G/C isn't even close but there's plents of backs and safety's ... I'm taking Iupati .
Old 01-14-2010   #15
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

OK...I am now going to be obsessed with Zoltan. If we don't get him, I will be disappointed.
Old 01-14-2010   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 179496 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Zoltan ?
Old 01-14-2010   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Kubes said at his last presser fixing the run game would be a top priority.
His 2008 last presser he said getting playmakers on defense was a priority. Cushing,Barwin and Quin were drafted in rds 1,2 and 4.

I think out of the first 3 rds you will see a RB and a OL taken with 2 of those picks.

McNair spoke of this team needing more leadership. I hope he brings in one vet. OL and one vet DT to help lead the way.
He said this prior to the last draft also and did not draft a back.
Old 01-14-2010   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Zoltan ?
Ok ... the punter .

We can draft Zoltan but we need Crezdon also .
Old 01-14-2010   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Iupati is rated a bit ahead of Asamoah. How do you rate the two? On my board, I have Texans taking Asamoah in 2nd as I really like his speed 5.08 at his size 6'4" 315. He also is experienced in a ZBS. Both should be long fixtures on the line but I do have a concern about Iupati going 16 games at his weight.
Old 01-14-2010   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
He said this prior to the last draft also and did not draft a back.
They didn't draft a RB last year because they had Slaton had a really good year and one could only expect him to get better .

They need to get themselves in a position like Dallas who took Jones in the 1st and Choice in the 4th . They had Barber but had the luxury of taking a good player because he's good and not for need . I'll bet that Barber's gone next year ... why ... he's on the downside and takes carries away from the other two .

Last year the Texans took OLB ( need ) , pass rusher ( need ) C/G ( big need ) , Blocking TE ( need ) , CB ( need ) . Where would you like them to draft a RB and how much better is a 5th rd. RB gonna be over Foster or Johnson ?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read