Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-12-2010   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Safeties 2010 Draft

OKay, so basically this is the position that I think will get addressed in this year's draft at some point in the first few rounds. We have brought in safeties in the later rounds before and have Eugene Wilson as our best option at FS (if he doesn't retire). I'm hoping the Texans offer Bernard Pollard a great contract and make the SS for the near future.

I would like to discuss who you would love to see the Texans draft at S and I'll try to keep a list with a short bio about each player in the first post.

Eric Berry S, Tennessee: He currently leads all NCAA players in total interceptions, interceptions per game, interception return yards, and interceptions returned for touchdowns. Statistically, Berry is considered to be one of the most dominant defensive backs in NCAA history, often being compared to Ed Reed. - Would require a massive trade-up to get

Earl Thomas S, Texas: Third-year safety who has started 26 games over the last two years ... a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award (nation's top defensive back) ... a consensus first-team All-America selection - Might be available at our pick but not guaranteed

Taylor Mays S, USC: Mays has started every game and has earned All-American honors and All-Pac 10 honors three times. He ended his junior season as one of the top three finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award given to the nation's best defensive back. - Might be available at our pick but not guaranteed

Chad Jones S, LSU: LSU’s starter at free safety in all 12 games in 2009 ... Serves as LSU’s punt returner when backed up against its own endzone ... Has great hands and rarely mishandles a ball ... Fifth on team in tackles with 66 ... Leads team with three interceptions, including two against Louisiana-Lafayette in Week 3 - I don't know much about him but he was projected by the NFL Advisory whatever that he could be a 1st rounder

Morgan Burnett S, Georgia-Tech: Emerged as an All-American as a sophomore... named second team All-America by Rivals, Sports Illustrated and Sporting News... a second team All-ACC selection... tied for first nationally in interceptions (7)... his seven INTs were the most by a Tech player since 1991 and ties for the fourth-most single-season INTs in GT history... had more interceptions in 2008 than the entire Tech team had in all of 2007 - Don't know the projection

Darrell Stuckey S, Kansas: Career Honors: 2009: Lott Trophy Watch List, All-State Good Works Team Nominee. 2008: All-Big 12 First Team, Big 12 Community of Champions member, Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week vs. Missouri, KU Weight Room Award, KU co-Leadership Award, KU Special Teams Player of the Year. 2007: All-Big 12 Honorable Mention (Coaches), KU Defensive Player of the Week (vs. Toledo and co vs. Oklahoma State). - Not getting a lot of pub, but is listed in top 10's in a lot of lists

Nate Allen S, USF: 2009: Among the most accomplished defensive players in USF history ... Played and started in the final 39 games of his career, beginning with the season opener in 2007 and ending with the International Bowl on Jan. 2, 2010 ... Rated as a first or second round talent by most NFL Draft experts ... Named First Team All-BIG EAST by ESPN.com and Phil Steele ... Named Second Team All-BIG East by the league's coaches - Do not have enough information

More Safeties Here.

Honestly, I hope we can snag Thomas, but the more I read about him the less I think he'll be there.

Last edited by b0ng; 01-12-2010 at 03:58 PM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safeties 2010 Draft

You can add Morgan Burnett to that list.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Add Nate Allen and Reshad Jones to that list. We might not get Allen though since he'll most likely go in the early to mid 2nd round and Jones will most likely be a SS in the NFL.

Berry will be gone by the time we pick.
Thomas would be perfect for us.
Mays, Hell NO, will probably be best as a SS and pass coverage ability will make him a poor FS.
Burnett, will be good as well but he might get moved to SS as well.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Thomas is the guy if there but I really liked Chad Jones. He is all over the field and smacks people. Allegedly has the speed to play FS. Other than these two no one else really jumps at me at #20.
Old 01-12-2010   #5
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
You can add Morgan Burnett to that list.
Meh. Color me unimpressed. Maybe it was a product of the bad defense, but the fanfare to production ratio was not in his favor.

I'm no scout, and I only see what the TV shows me, but I just didn't see the playmaking we need on our team from him this season. He's very Dom Barber-like, to me.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Meh. Color me unimpressed. Maybe it was a product of the bad defense, but the fanfare to production ratio was not in his favor.

I'm no scout, and I only see what the TV shows me, but I just didn't see the playmaking we need on our team from him this season. He's very Dom Barber-like, to me.
I'm a big fan so agree to disagree. The GA Tech D coordinator was fired a couple days ago if that means anything to you.
Old 01-12-2010   #7
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm a big fan so agree to disagree. The GA Tech D coordinator was fired a couple days ago if that means anything to you.
I'm well aware (I'm a huge GTech fan). Hopefully the Groh rumors are true.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2010   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

An LSU fan I know thinks Chad Jones should've stayed for one more year, and is not much more than an in-the-box safety right now.
Old 01-12-2010   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Berry
Mays
Thomas
Jones

If either of the top 2 are there, we need to snag em'.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Berry
Mays
Thomas
Jones

If either of the top 2 are there, we need to snag em'.
Yep and if Lisa Milano, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Halle Berry or Sandra Bullock is waiting at my door tonight when I drive up, I will invite her in.
Old 01-13-2010   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I think everyone agrees that Berry will be gone before our pick. We should have either Thomas or Mays drop to us and that should be our pick. Get AJ or Jones to run the card up for us as fast as possible.

Mays slumping this year is the only reason he is even going to be an option for us.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I think everyone agrees that Berry will be gone before our pick. We should have either Thomas or Mays drop to us and that should be our pick. Get AJ or Jones to run the card up for us as fast as possible.

Mays slumping this year is the only reason he is even going to be an option for us.
Thomas is a top 15, I believe and convince me why you think Mays will be a free safety in NFL? He has had a very down season.
Old 01-13-2010   #13
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I can put some insight into Nate Allen from USF. He's tall and weighs around 200-lbs, could use some more bulking up. Reminds me of Ken Hamlin a bit. He reacts really well to the ball and has good instincts but needs to be a little bit more physical.

I think Allen would work well with Bernard Pollard delivering the hammer so I wouldn't be upset if we got him the the 2nd round. IMO, the best FS in the draft.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #14
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yep and if Lisa Milano, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Halle Berry or Sandra Bullock is waiting at my door tonight when I drive up, I will invite her in.
I don't think your significant other would like that very much...
Old 01-13-2010   #15
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Thomas is a top 15, I believe and convince me why you think Mays will be a free safety in NFL? He has had a very down season.
Not trying to convine anyone of anything. I think he is athletic enough to play either safety position. Hell maybe you are right and he is only able to play strong.

I agree with you that Thomas is better and would be a better fit for us. I guess the combine will give us a better idea of where he will be slotted.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Link

Here is a guy making a case for KC to take Mays at #5.

Cracked me up - he says he can run with Andre Johnson and hit like Bernard Pollard.
Old 01-13-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 129410 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Link

Cracked me up - he says he can run with Andre Johnson and hit like Bernard Pollard.
From that link...

Quote:
the freakish athleticism of Adrian Wilson, and the speed of Andre Johnson.
and

Quote:
He lands hits that would make Bernard Pollard blush.
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010   #18
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I'm well aware (I'm a huge GTech fan). Hopefully the Groh rumors are true.
Yea, Virginia has had some really good defenses under Groh.
Old 01-13-2010   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Link

well, he's not exactly lying...
Old 01-13-2010   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120523 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
well, he's not exactly lying...
Yeh but he forgot to add, instincts of Matt Stevens!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read