Hall of Fame
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Rep Power: 14654
Wolf6151 January 2010 mock.
I think we have needs at the following positions: CB, OG/C, FS, DT, RB, and then depth at SS and O-line. I think our teams 2 biggest needs are in the secondary and O-line. We haven't invested any high draft picks in the secondary in years or on the interior O-line. I think fixing the O-line will dramatically improve our running game and red zone/short yardage game. As these are our 2 biggest needs they should be addressed early and often. Unfortunately, reality says that the best players at a position of need aren't always available when you pick so you have to make compromises and fill a lesser need first, thus taking the best player available at a position of need. Example: 1st round, I'd love to have Joe Haden but he'll be gone by the 20th pick so we'll have to address other needs with top level talent or take someone else who's not as good at CB. Please keep this in mind while reading this mock draft.
1. Dan Williams-DT, I can't believe that I'm picking this guy either since I'm one of the guys who has repeatedly said we have to many high draft picks invested in the D-line and need to spread around that high level talent. Remember though that Joe Haden won't be available, there are no other CB's worth this high of a draft pick, this is a very deep year for FS/SS and can be had later as well, and good interior O-linemen can be had in later rounds. This guy is a stud DT/NT that we've never had, he'd take up 2 blockers and make Amobi Okoye much better. I really think this guy could complete our D-line. I think this guy would make Okam expendable though we'd still keep Cody and Robinson for depth. D-line:
Antonio Smith, Dan Williams, Amobi Okoye, Mario Williams
2. Nate Allen-FS, he's not on the elite level of Berry or Thomas but he's close and has lots of potential. This is a very deep Safety class so very good talent can be had after the 1st round. Paired with Pollard we'd have our Safety spots filled for years to come.
3. Mitch Petrus-OG, I'm actually not real picky about who we take at OG here, so long as we take the best available OG. It could be Mike Johnson, or Jon Asamoah but they'll probably be gone by this point in the draft.
4. Ben Tate-RB, he's very similar in size to Slaton but I think he's stronger and has good speed. He'd make Moats and Brown expendable. Sad though I really like Moats.
5. J.D. Walton-C, or Eric Olsen-C whoever is available. Hopefully he'd take Myers spot on the line within a year and add a little size to the C position and he and Caldwell would make Myers expendable.
6. Crezdon Butler-CB, this guy has fallen lately, not sure why though he was never real high on draft boards. He's got great speed and size.
6b. Larry Asante-SS, good speed and size, depth behind Pollard, and can't help but be better than Ferguson and Barber.
7. Zoltan Mesko-P, younger and cheaper than Turk and how many times are you going to get the chance to draft someone named Zoltan.
It's not perfect and I wish there were a way to get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick in this draft. Any ideas? Opinions? Thanks.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|