Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-11-2010   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Beerlover 2010 Pre-Senior Bowl Mock Draft

#1 St. Louis - Ndamukong Suh, DT Nebraska

#2 Detroit - u-Gerald McCoy, DT Oklahoma

#3 Tampa Bay - u-Eric Berry, DB Tennessee

#4 Washington - u-Sam Bradford, QB Oklahoma

#5 Kansas City - u-Anthony Davis, OT Rutgers

#6 Seattle - u-Jimmy Clausen, QB Notre Dame

#7 Cleveland - u-Joe Haden, CB Florida

#8 Oakland - u-Derrick Morgan, DE/OLB Gerogia Tech

#9 Buffalo - Russell Okung, OT Oklahoma State

#10 Jacksonville - u-Rolando McClain, LB Alabama

#11 Denver (from Chicago) - u-Dez Bryant, WR Oklahoma State

#12 Miami - u-Golden Tate, WR Notre Dame

#13 San Francisco - u-Earl Thomas, DB Texas

#14 Seattle - Charles Brown, OT USC

#15 New York Giants - Brandon Spikes, LB Florida

#16 San Franciso - Trent Williams, OT Oklahoma

#17 Tennessee - Dan Williams, DT Tennessee

#18 Pittsburgh - u-Bryan Bulaga, OT Iowa

#19 Atlanta - u-Carlos Dunlap, DE Florida

#20 Houston - C.J.Spiller, RB Clemson

#21 Cincinnati - Taylor Mays, DB USC

#22 New England - u-Bruce Campbell, OT Maryland

#23 Green Bay - Mike Iupati, OG Utah

#24 Philadelphia - u-Everson Griffith, RDE USC

#25 Baltimore - Jermaine Gresham, TE Oklahoma

#26 Arizona - Javier Arenas, DB/KR Alabama

#27 New York Jets - u-Damian Wiliams, WR USC

#28 Dallas - Terrence Cody, NT Alabama

#29 Minnesota - u-Donovan Warren, CB Michigan

#30 San Diego - u-Ryan Mathews, RB Fresno State

#31 New Orleans - Corey Wootton, DE Northwestern

#32 Indianapolis - u-Brian Price, DT UCLA

* u- denotes underclassman
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover 2010 Pre-Senior Bowl Mock Draft

Looks like you are thinking Slaton may not heal 100%? I am ok with this pick but you better pick up a power back later. Joiqe Bell?
Old 01-11-2010   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Looks like you are thinking Slaton may not heal 100%? I am ok with this pick but you better pick up a power back later. Joiqe Bell?
there are three quality RB's @ the top, well maybe four if you consider Jonathan Dwyer? they are Ryan Mathews, Fresno State 5-11 220, Toby Gerhart, 6-1 235 & CJ Spiller 5-11 195. In my ratings Spiller is the clear #1 RB in this class, hence should be the 1st RB off the board.

studying Ryan who was my personel favorite I discoverd his teammate Senior Lonyae Miller, 5-11 215, very impressed with him & did not get the exposure because Ryan got the majority of reps. The Texans have two 6th rd. picks so I would use one of those on him thus giving you a RB by committee of Spiller, Slaton, Foster, Moats, Miller.

Quote:
“The ovation that C.J. Spiller received was very special. I can’t remember going to a graduation anywhere and seeing the Board of Trustees recognize a student-athlete like that. It certainly shows the level of respect C.J. has on this campus. It is well deserved.”
Spiller has already graduated (Dec. 17th) seems as solid off the field as on. A characteristic not lost with the Texans organization principles.

Last edited by beerlover; 01-11-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-11-2010   #4
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

CJ Spiller FTW!

Helps the RB situation and gives us a KR/PR with explosive play ability.

Like the pick.
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
there are three quality RB's @ the top, well maybe four if you consider Jonathan Dwyer? they are Ryan Mathews, Fresno State 5-11 220, Toby Gerhart, 6-1 235 & CJ Spiller 5-11 195. In my ratings Spiller is the clear #1 RB in this class, hence should be the 1st RB off the board.

studying Ryan who was my personel favorite I discoverd his teammate Senior Lonyae Miller, 5-11 215, very impressed with him & did not get the exposure because Ryan got the majority of reps. The Texans have two 6th rd. picks so I would use one of those on him thus giving you a RB by committee of Spiller, Slaton, Foster, Moats, Miller.

Spiller has already graduated (Dec. 17th) seems as solid off the field as on. A characteristic not lost with the Texans organization principles.
I don't think 215 qualifies for power back imo. Maybe if he can add 10 lbs or so of muscle? One of those 5 has to go to PS and unless Miller explodes on the scene...

A bigger line should help in red zone but I want a big boy ploughing in.
Old 01-11-2010   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think 215 qualifies for power back imo.
Emmitt Smith, Walter Peyton, LT, Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis disagree. Unless the definition of power back is a circular one of big back then lots of the best short yardage and interior runners have been under 215 lbs.
Old 01-11-2010   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Emmitt Smith, Walter Peyton, LT, Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis disagree.
I thought Ray Rice looked good .
Old 01-11-2010   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I don't think 215 qualifies for power back imo. Maybe if he can add 10 lbs or so of muscle? One of those 5 has to go to PS and unless Miller explodes on the scene...

A bigger line should help in red zone but I want a big boy ploughing in.
ZBS power back is someone w/quick, explosive first step who he can hit holes before a defense can react.
Old 01-11-2010   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I thought Ray Rice looked good .
As does MJD.
Old 01-11-2010   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Emmitt Smith, Walter Peyton, LT, Priest Holmes and Terrell Davis disagree. Unless the definition of power back is a circular one of big back then lots of the best short yardage and interior runners have been under 215 lbs.
I think the backs you named had better Olines but I could be wrong. There are always exceptions but I say go with a bigger back in our situation. Of course I was wrong on having to have a huge DT to shut down the run.
Old 01-11-2010   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
ZBS power back is someone w/quick, explosive first step who he can hit holes before a defense can react.
Well Slaton and Moats are all we need then.
Old 01-11-2010   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good job as usual beerlover.

I like the the Clausen/Brown picks to Seattle... especially with Carroll signing.

Spiller is an interesting choice. I don't buy into the whole "Kubiak will never draft a RB or OL in the 1st round mentality". Not my favorite pick for us but I understand it. He's a playmaker and would really help out our run game.

Interesting having Arenas in the 1st round. I'm not sure if he's ever going to be a starting corner in the league though. I can see him doing well in nickle packages and obviously return duties. Not sure if his return skills boosts him all the way into the 1st.... not a bad pick if he sees the field enough on defense. He can definitely change the momentum in a game.

And I totally see Golden Tate getting interest from teams in the 1st.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Good job as usual beerlover.

I like the the Clausen/Brown picks to Seattle... especially with Carroll signing.

Spiller is an interesting choice. I don't buy into the whole "Kubiak will never draft a RB or OL in the 1st round mentality". Not my favorite pick for us but I understand it. He's a playmaker and would really help out our run game.

Interesting having Arenas in the 1st round. I'm not sure if he's ever going to be a starting corner in the league though. I can see him doing well in nickle packages and obviously return duties. Not sure if his return skills boosts him all the way into the 1st.... not a bad pick if he sees the field enough on defense. He can definitely change the momentum in a game.

And I totally see Golden Tate getting interest from teams in the 1st.
Arenas has been ascending up my draft board for weeks, culminating off his BCS outstanding playmaking game (2 INT's). I recognize nobody has him this high in the country, but I could see him going even higher to Philadelphia #24 because short of Asante Samuel, 5-10 Sheldon Brown is not getting it done.

Javier is ready for the NFL both physically & mentally. he is a power-pack of intensity, he will be an impact player as a rookie, more complete coming out than Buffalo 2nd rd. pick from Oregon converted CB to FS Jarius Byrd who was outstanding & lone bright spot for Buffalo.

Ole Miss I know you'll appreciate this, I have the same sure feeling about him as I did about Patrick Willis
Old 01-11-2010   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Well Slaton and Moats are all we need then.
Slaton did as a rookie, he was lighter in fact & more explosive
Old 01-11-2010   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

If history's any indication, I doubt we'll be looking at RB until round 3. Personally, I think we'll be looking at a player in the trenches and/or a DB in the first 2 rounds.
Old 01-11-2010   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

I really tried to go BPA with every pick fully expecting several of these prospects to rise up boards in the next four months, who knows for sure? the fact the Texans wound up taking the 1st RB off the board was #1 BPA & #2 Need, it just fell into place that way I had no agenda to select C.J. Spiller for the Texans. If truth be told I wanted Charles Brown, who is a converted TE, obvious athletic with elite measureables to play LT but with Carrol heading to Seattle & their need to take a QB & OT to protect him I could not in all fairness project him to be available @ #20
Old 01-11-2010   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Slaton did as a rookie, he was lighter in fact & more explosive
Oh.. how many TDs from Red Zone or first and short did he get up the middle?
Old 01-11-2010   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you guys think of Ben Tate? Should be available in the 3rd or 4th.
Old 01-11-2010   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I think the backs you named had better Olines but I could be wrong. There are always exceptions but I say go with a bigger back in our situation. Of course I was wrong on having to have a huge DT to shut down the run.
Over the course of NFL history the big back theory has largely been proven wrong. If you are looking for short yardage you need a RB with vision and an ability to make short space corrections. If all you needed was size teams would be running their FBs in short yardage situations. Instead there are guys like Emmitt who yes had a great OL but took full advantage of it on his own fantastic vision and his short space ability to turn a body or shoulder tackle into an arm tackle and then run through it or to reach out and grab an arm and redirect it as he ran past. There's a reason the single season TD records haven't been held by big RBs. Only 2 of the top 10 are over 225 lbs and none over 230 lbs. I use Emmitt as the primary example because he was never a CJ scoring off speed. Emmitt was a power RB who ran right up the gut and played at his heaviest at 215 lbs.
Old 01-11-2010   #20
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh.. how many TDs from Red Zone or first and short did he get up the middle?
IMO that's just as much on playcalling. When you've got a guy with the speed Slaton has why not have him try and make the corner on a toss or stretch play?

Icak did a great job of pointing out that some of the best goal line backs aren't the ones that weigh 2 tons.

To me a power running game is more on the OL then it is on the size of a back.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read