Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-08-2010   #41
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early signs point to Taylor Mays, S, USC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Using a 1st rd pick to convert him to a new position and replace Zac Diles? No thanks.
Using a 1st rd pick to replace Bernard Pollard? No thanks.
I completely agree. Those are 2 guys who do not need replacing in the near future. There are way bigger holes on this roster to fill first.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #42
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

i remember watching the penn st/usc game last year. i remember it only because of this. mays and pollard in the backfield would be ridiculously fun to watch.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #43
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing had 177 tackles and 1 INT in 4 years starting at USC. This year he had 134 tackles and 4 INTs.

Ive found taht college stats, particular INTs, don't translate that well since the game is so differnet.

I think Mays will be an above average safety from what Ive seen. Just like one year shouldn't make a player, one year shouldn't break ag uy either.
Old 01-08-2010   #44
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Dude runs from about mid 4.3 to mid 4.4 in the 40 & that's plenty fast for a FS. but aside from that, how ball hawking can you be when your coach has u playing 20 yds off the LOS?
If you're 20 yards off the LOS wouldn't that mean that you are defending the deep ball often? The USC games I've seen Mays is like a center fielder. He bats down passes when he can (Not too terribly often) and tries to lay people out, that's it.

If anything though Taylor Mays has "AL DAVIS" written all over him, so it'll probably be a moot point by the time draft time rolls around.

EDIT: I've thought this about Mays since last year when everybody was all over him for being a great safety. If you watch him play, he would rather get a a big hit than an INT, which tells me that he will need some coaching or a position change if he were to come to the Texans to be a FS (Because Bernard Pollard is the SS of the future).
Old 01-08-2010   #45
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll take Earl Thomas please.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #46
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I'll take Earl Thomas please.
You better put on your prayer beads then because all signs are pointing to him returning to UT.
Old 01-08-2010   #47
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Taylor could impress a team like say da raiders, aka Al Davis making this discussion mute. You can absoultely make or break your draft with a USC prospect, very tough to evaluate with so much elite talent in a pro system.
I think he could be in play 8-19 which is a broad range but its just too early to narrow down, lets revisit this during Senior Bowl practices & combine.
And after all the underclassmen declare ..... thats gonna shake up a whole lotta stuff.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
And after all the underclassmen declare ..... thats gonna shake up a whole lotta stuff.
my intitial mock is almost 50/50 underclassman to seniors in the first rd.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #49
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather take Nate Allen with our 2nd pick if Thomas goes back to school.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...Nate-Allen.php

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #50
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
You better put on your prayer beads then because all signs are pointing to him returning to UT.
Nope. ET is going pro. Announced it earlier this evening.

Link
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #51
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
Nope. ET is going pro. Announced it earlier this evening.

Link
I am firmly behind picking this player then. I hope that he can hang with the big boys at 5'10" 190lbs.
Old 01-08-2010   #52
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am firmly behind picking this player then. I hope that he can hang with the big boys at 5'10" 190lbs.
I don't think he lasts to our pick but at least that drops someone else down a spot.
Old 01-08-2010   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

this puts more pressure on the coin flip with Atlanta, I'm sure they would like to draft him too
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010   #54
b0ng
Ooops

I'm willing to bet Thomas gets knocked some before the draft happens. I don't think he'll last very far into round 2 if he makes it there though.

EDIT: I thought there were good DB's on LSU this year?
Old 01-09-2010   #55
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm willing to bet Thomas gets knocked some before the draft happens. I don't think he'll last very far into round 2 if he makes it there though.

Chad Jones is the only real prospect from LSU's secondary..Peterson is only a sophmore i believe.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #56
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

His thin frame might scare people off but he will put up great numbers and workouts at the combine.

I think he will be off the board when we pick.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read