Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-07-2010   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Early signs point to Taylor Mays, S, USC?

Kipers new big board came out today and Mays is listed #19, right where we're sitting.

With a need at DB and Berry and Haden doomed to be gone in the top 10, Mays looks to be our imperfect fit. He knows the scheme and has good history with Cushing, so maybe he would revert back to his previous seasons form of a top 5 projected DB.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...ory?id=4801024
Old 01-07-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Early signs point to Taylor Mays, S, USC?

I don't think that Mays is the guy for us. Reminds me too much of Roy Williams. He has the measurables, and is very good in run support but I do not think he could play FS and we have Pollard at SS.
Old 01-07-2010   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Kipers new big board came out today and Mays is listed #19, right where we're sitting.

With a need at DB and Berry and Haden doomed to be gone in the top 10, Mays looks to be our imperfect fit. He knows the scheme and has good history with Cushing, so maybe he would revert back to his previous seasons form of a top 5 projected DB.

I was an early fan of Mays but he had an off year. Some say it was because his supporting staff from last year were not on the field. I am leaning towards a pick with somewhat less uncertainity attached. I'm looking at free safeties Akwasi Owusu-Ansah from Indiana or Robert Johnson Utah in 4th round.
Old 01-07-2010   #4
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Mays' physical gifts are off the charts.

His instincts are immeasurable. No seriously, they're not there to measure.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to have Mays on the D
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Mays' physical gifts are off the charts.

His instincts are immeasurable. No seriously, they're not there to measure.
So too are Jessica Simpson's and I like her "back field in motion".
Old 01-07-2010   #7
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

Just because he's listed as the #19 player doesn't mean we're going to take him at that spot. They're just ranked according to Kipers opinion of value and doesn't account for team needs. Mays will be a terrible FS but might be a decent SS, but we've already got Pollard there. Mays best value would be as a WLB, I think he'd be great there. He'd be a terrible fit for Houston.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2010   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Mays looked like everything a team would want in a safety last off season. He should have come out in the draft and he totally screwed himself out of a ton of cash. This year he exposed a lot of his weaknesses as a player in coverage and has turned a ton of NFL scouts off. As much as I want a safety for the Texans more than any other position in the first round, Mays is not the guy we should be targeting. TO many potential question marks and weaknesses that he currently has as a player. I don't even think he'll be a first rounder at this point honestly. I'd much rather trade up for Eric Berry but I know we won't do that, so Earl Thomas would not be a bad guy to go after in my opinion. He's young, but he's damn good and should be a pretty good NFL player.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Taylor could impress a team like say da raiders, aka Al Davis making this discussion mute. You can absoultely make or break your draft with a USC prospect, very tough to evaluate with so much elite talent in a pro system.
I think he could be in play 8-19 which is a broad range but its just too early to narrow down, lets revisit this during Senior Bowl practices & combine.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Mays, to me, is like a more athletic Bernard Pollard. I just don't see us having two safeties that are pretty much the same type of player. We need a safety that can match up with slot receivers in the slot if need be, not an enforcer.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really want Mays either.
Old 01-07-2010   #12
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Could someone post the full list please? I don't have insider, but I'm really interested in seeing the whole list past #5.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt we look at him too much. Rumor is he's more of an athlete than a football player. I think Kubiak and Smith want guys that a true football players, even if the have to lack some of the measurables.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I just don't see us having two safeties that are pretty much the same type of player.
Not calling you out here but my god, how many times have you read the phrase "interchangeable safeties" when refering to this D? On this board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I doubt we look at him too much. Rumor is he's more of an athlete than a football player. I think Kubiak and Smith want guys that a true football players, even if the have to lack some of the measurables.
Same rumors about Cushing last year. Just throwing that in.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Mays looked like everything a team would want in a safety last off season. He should have come out in the draft and he totally screwed himself out of a ton of cash. This year he exposed a lot of his weaknesses as a player in coverage and has turned a ton of NFL scouts off. As much as I want a safety for the Texans more than any other position in the first round, Mays is not the guy we should be targeting. TO many potential question marks and weaknesses that he currently has as a player. I don't even think he'll be a first rounder at this point honestly. I'd much rather trade up for Eric Berry but I know we won't do that, so Earl Thomas would not be a bad guy to go after in my opinion. He's young, but he's damn good and should be a pretty good NFL player.
Where do you see Thomas slotted if he comes out? Maybe he will commit tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2010   #16
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Reminds me alot of Willie Moore from Mizzou a couple years ago. But he dropped a hell of alot more.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #17
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Mays. He'd up an upgrade over ANY S we've ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #18
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather have Earl Thomas if he declares for the draft. Or one of the top DT's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Same rumors about Cushing last year. Just throwing that in.
I view Cushing and Mays completely differently though. Mays is much more of a natural physical freak than Cushing (who I view more of a blue collar weightlifter type). I didn't have any doubts Cushing could play football, my concern was that he'd be out injured a lot. I have doubts about Mays being able to be a 'cover' safety in the nfl.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari-OWNED! View Post
Could someone post the full list please? I don't have insider, but I'm really interested in seeing the whole list past #5.
A lot of movement this week. A couple of guys are back in -- now that they're locks to jump as juniors -- in Jahvid Best and Arrelious Benn. Then, closer to the top, we also have upward movement by the likes of Jason Pierre-Paul (look for my piece on Monday about Bowl risers and fallers) as well as Joe Haden, who is head and shoulders the top CB in this group right now.
Florida had a couple of other players rise, and Taylor Mays continues to drop. We expect great things from him in workouts but, as we discussed before, we also assumed greatness there. Some movement as well in my top players at each position, so check those out as well.

1. Ndamukong Suh
Analysis: Explosive, relentless and consistent. Last week: No. 1
2. Gerald McCoy
Analysis: Disruptive force. Productive NFL career ahead. Last week: No. 2
3. Eric Berry
Analysis: Ultimate playmaker, in the Ed Reed mold. Last week: No. 3
4. Jimmy Clausen
Analysis: Improved through adversity, has under-center experience. Last week: No. 4
5. Sam Bradford
Analysis: Has underrated arm, great feel for position, is super-accurate. Last week: No. 5
6. Joe Haden
Analysis: Polished cover corner with tackling ability to match. Last week: No. 7
7. Russell Okung
Analysis: Athletic, strong and fiery blindside pass-protector. Last week: No. 6
8. Derrick Morgan
Analysis: Proven pass-rusher, stout versus run. Very productive. Last week: No. 8
9. Dez Bryant
Analysis: Dynamic receiver, punt returner and TD maker. Last week: No. 9
10. Rolando McClain
Analysis: Fiery, vocal team leader with top instincts for position. Last week: No. 11
11. Jason Pierre-Paul
Analysis: Explosive, natural pass-rusher out of juco ranks. Last week: No. 12
12. Brian Price
Analysis: Powerful leverage guy who wreaks havoc. Last week: No. 10
13. C.J. Spiller
Analysis: Multitalented, super-fast, electrifying game-breaker. Last week: No. 14
14. Carlos Dunlap
Analysis: Physical tools are off the charts. Has unlimited upside. Last week: No. 17
15. Aaron Hernandez
Analysis: Great hands and excellent run-after-catch skills for a TE. Last week: No. 19
16. Everson Griffen
Analysis: Supremely talented, now gaining the necessary consistency. Last week: No. 16
17. Dan Williams
Analysis: High motor, consistent, tremendously powerful lower body. Last week: No. 18
18. Anthony Davis
Analysis: Gifted physically, quick feet and still improving. Last week: 15
19. Taylor Mays
Analysis: Has linebacker size with cornerback speed. Last week: No. 13
20. Brandon Graham
Analysis: Awesome athlete and force off the edge. Last week: No. 19
21. Sergio Kindle
Analysis: Production finally matches his talent. Last week: No. 21
22. Jermaine Gresham
Analysis: The best pass-catching tight end in college football. Last week: No. 22
23. Jahvid Best
Analysis: Versatile; home run threat on every play. Last week: No. NR
24. Arrelious Benn
Analysis: Silky-smooth but physical playmaker. Great RAC threat. Last week: No. NR
25. Patrick Robinson
Analysis: Consistent, even in a tough year. Best overall senior CB. Last week: 25

Last edited by JB; 01-07-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: include link
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read