Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-06-2010   #41
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bowl game player review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
14 carries for 49 yards. Not terrible considering he only got it straight up the gut against a very good defense.
Not true, they worked him on the outside more this game than they had all season. Also, that one run that almost resulted in a safety took a nice chunk of yardage off his total.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #42
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
That triple option had no chance against Iowa. They are just too well coached. They have no egos. Nobody tries to be a hero, they just go out there and do their job. Plus, they have tons of guys on that defense that are going to be in the NFL. Most of them will be lower draft picks, but they are still talented.

Adrian Clayborn (DE) Jr
Pat Angerer (MLB) Sr
A.J. Edds (OLB) Sr
Amari Spievey (CB) Jr
Tyler Sash (S) So
Karl Klug (DT) Jr

All those guys will be in the NFL, maybe even a few others.
TE Tony Moeaki helped his draft stock early 3rd late 2nd.
  • excellent hands
  • excellent inline blocker
  • excellent route runner
  • ability to run after catch
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #43
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was impressed with Dwyer. He looked explosive and powerful. Caught the ball out of the backfield and had a nice gain. The one play almost for a safety was a dumb move. Probably just trying to make a play, something, anything happen to spark some energy into the team. I doubt he tries that in the pros. I think Dwyer would be a good fit on this team.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I was impressed with Dwyer. He looked explosive and powerful. Caught the ball out of the backfield and had a nice gain. The one play almost for a safety was a dumb move. Probably just trying to make a play, something, anything happen to spark some energy into the team. I doubt he tries that in the pros. I think Dwyer would be a good fit on this team.
IDK, I did not see anything in first half and we have enough guys that play only 1/2 of game. I am even more solidly in Gerhart's camp. He cranked it up evrey game I watched. Even if he lost yards due to a stupid move, a stupid move works the same in NFL.
Old 01-06-2010   #45
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty silly to watch one half of a game of his, in which the entire offense played poorly, and assume that he "play[s] only 1/2 of [the] game."

When all's said and done he'll be no worse than the third back taken in this draft and the Texans would be so lucky as to have him on their team.
Old 01-06-2010   #46
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
TE Tony Moeaki helped his draft stock early 3rd late 2nd.
  • excellent hands
  • excellent inline blocker
  • excellent route runner
  • ability to run after catch
I was only listing the defensive players. I've always been a big fan of Moeaki. He can't seem to stay on the field an entire year because of injuries but when he is on, he is a complete player.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Pretty silly to watch one half of a game of his, in which the entire offense played poorly, and assume that he "play[s] only 1/2 of [the] game."

When all's said and done he'll be no worse than the third back taken in this draft and the Texans would be so lucky as to have him on their team.
Explain how that is silly? I watched him do basically nothing for 2 quarters. The Texans were blasted more than once for not playing a full game. His final stats were 49 yards with avg about 3.5. Don't we already have backs doing that. I was pushing him earlier this season but he needed to come up big in the bowl and did not. I hope you are correct that he is third back(or better) taken as that should push a need player to us regardless of the round.
Old 01-06-2010   #48
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Anybody like Stanzi, he is a Junior, but I have watched a few Iowa games and he runs the boot very well and makes big plays off play action which is how our offense operates.

He is a bit turnover prone, but that's coachable right? Seems to have a pretty quick release. It will be interesting how he does next year. I wouldn't mind taking him if he is there in the mid to late rounds next year.

Thoughts?
JWarren14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010   #49
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Explain how that is silly? I watched him do basically nothing for 2 quarters. The Texans were blasted more than once for not playing a full game. His final stats were 49 yards with avg about 3.5. Don't we already have backs doing that. I was pushing him earlier this season but he needed to come up big in the bowl and did not. I hope you are correct that he is third back(or better) taken as that should push a need player to us regardless of the round.
We dont have any back that has the talent of Dwyer. Its silly to judge him on one half a game vs a good D that is geared up to stop him. He is one of those rare big backs that can bust one for a long TD at anytime. Just becuase he didnt do it in one half of a single game is no reason to ignore the fact that he has done it consistantly throughout his college career. He reminds me alot of Jerome Bettis at ND.

I either want him in the first or LeGarrette Blount 6-0, 245 4.60 Oregon in the 3rd or 4th who reminds me alot of Steven Jackson. We need a big guy that can not only get the tough yards but is capable of busting long runs after breaking tackles if we are going to continue to run the ZB scheme.

I also want another quality 3rd down type back that can take it to the house on any given play. I dont want to go into next season HOPING Slaton turns it around. Give me C.J. Spiller in the first, Jahvid Best in the 2nd.
Old 01-06-2010   #50
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok ... I know nothing about him but Levi Brown has size and an arm .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 01-06-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #51
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It's silly because you're making an assumption based on a ridiculously small sample size in which there were other hindrances that you're not considering (lack of attempts, lack of blocking, poor scheming, etc.)

It's like watching a Cardinals' game in which Albert Pujols goes 0-4 and deciding that he's an overhyped scrub. Nonsensical.
Old 01-07-2010   #52
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
We dont have any back that has the talent of Dwyer. Its silly to judge him on one half a game vs a good D that is geared up to stop him. He is one of those rare big backs that can bust one for a long TD at anytime. Just becuase he didnt do it in one half of a single game is no reason to ignore the fact that he has done it consistantly throughout his college career. He reminds me alot of Jerome Bettis at ND.

I either want him in the first or LeGarrette Blount 6-0, 245 4.60 Oregon in the 3rd or 4th who reminds me alot of Steven Jackson. We need a big guy that can not only get the tough yards but is capable of busting long runs after breaking tackles if we are going to continue to run the ZB scheme.

I also want another quality 3rd down type back that can take it to the house on any given play. I dont want to go into next season HOPING Slaton turns it around. Give me C.J. Spiller in the first, Jahvid Best in the 2nd.
The fact that we do not have a big back is why I was watching him. He had 49 yards and if he had gotten it on one play, okay, whoopie. We need more than that. I defended him on an earlier thread as I was mocking him above Gerhart. I even told RMartin65 who is a big Gerhart fan to check out Dwyer who had a higher avg per attempt. If Colt McCoy lost the Heisman due to lack of a great game against Nebraska, why should I not move Dwyer down due to a poor Bowl game? Not saying he will not be drafted high, just not by Texans.
I agree with you on Slaton, but good luck on convincing Smithiac to draft two backs.
Old 01-07-2010   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
It's silly because you're making an assumption based on a ridiculously small sample size in which there were other hindrances that you're not considering (lack of attempts, lack of blocking, poor scheming, etc.)

It's like watching a Cardinals' game in which Albert Pujols goes 0-4 and deciding that he's an overhyped scrub. Nonsensical.
Your example would make more sense if the game Pujols did so poorly in was his last college game before going pro. In your example, we know what his professional history is, but you can not extrapolate that with Dwyer who has no NFL history. To re-state, I am not saying Dwyer will not make in the NFL. He showed me nothing in Bowl game where the creme should rise. I would rather take a risk on a back that had a very good Bowl game and a great season.
Old 01-07-2010   #54
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys, Dwyer is over-rated. I wrote a post a month back explaining my views, the triple option is a power backs dream. That GT offense provides so many opportunities for its runners, its unbelievable. He will get drafted because of his measurable, but in my opinion, he is a 3rd round talent, after backs like Gerhart, Spiller and Matthews.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #55
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Your example would make more sense if the game Pujols did so poorly in was his last college game before going pro. In your example, we know what his professional history is, but you can not extrapolate that with Dwyer who has no NFL history. To re-state, I am not saying Dwyer will not make in the NFL. He showed me nothing in Bowl game where the creme should rise. I would rather take a risk on a back that had a very good Bowl game and a great season.
My analogy was to show you how sample size is important in evaluation. Your inability to recognize that is indicative as to how you can base your opinion of a player off of one half of football. I don't think anymore needs to be said.
Old 01-07-2010   #56
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Guys, Dwyer is over-rated. I wrote a post a month back explaining my views, the triple option is a power backs dream. That GT offense provides so many opportunities for its runners, its unbelievable. He will get drafted because of his measurable, but in my opinion, he is a 3rd round talent, after backs like Gerhart, Spiller and Matthews.
He averaged 5.3 YPC and scored 9TD in a pro-style offense (as a back-up) his freshman year.
Old 01-07-2010   #57
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cause I had to put it somewhere .

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...play.php?f=112

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read