Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 01-04-2010   #61
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tear down the astrodome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Is it true that he got booed by the crowd at this performance? I read that fairly recently and, if true, just makes me thinks bad things about some Houston sports fans.
Unfortunately it wasn't one of his better performances. It was during his heavy drug days (putting cocaine in his coffee type stuff, drug days). Although there were some boos, it was more of a smattering.

Quote:
However, all was not well in Stevie's personal life. He had continued with his addiction to drugs and alcohol, and this began to catch up with him. On opening day of the National League baseball season at the Houston Astrodome in 1985, Stevie played "The Star Spangled Banner," however he was booed by the crowd for the pitiful slide work on the song.
From this site: Rockphyles - SRV

Also: Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Star Spangled Banner" - 4-19-85 - Houston, TX
(although poor sound quality, you can hear the smattering of boos).
Old 01-04-2010   #62
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Unfortunately it wasn't one of his better performances. It was during his heavy drug days (putting cocaine in his coffee type stuff, drug days). Although there were some boos, it was more of a smattering.

From this site: Rockphyles - SRV

Also: Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Star Spangled Banner" - 4-19-85 - Houston, TX
(although poor sound quality, you can hear the smattering of boos).
Thanks for the background. The article I mentioned was heavy on hyperbole, so they were acting like 30,000 fans were booing him. It's good hearing it from somebody that was actually in attendance.

Of course, nobody know then what a legend they were seeing that day. He could fill the 'dome with fans now.
Old 01-04-2010   #63
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks for the background. The article I mentioned was heavy on hyperbole, so they were acting like 30,000 fans were booing him. It's good hearing it from somebody that was actually in attendance.

Of course, nobody know then what a legend they were seeing that day. He could fill the 'dome with fans now.
No, it was nothing like that. I hate how people change history.

I already knew he was going to be a legend since the first time my best friend's father took us to see him play live at Antones in Austin and later that year Fitzgeralds.

Old 01-04-2010   #64
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Awesome poster, man! When my band played Fiztgeralds many years ago (after SRV had passed), I felt honored every time I played upstairs on the big stage because Stevie had played on that very same spot many times. Just knowing that he walked that dressing room and roamed that stage gave me goose bumps every single time.

I've got a SRV/Double Trouble poster from one of his gigs at Gilley's in Pasadena. It looks a lot like that one, but I think it's yellow instead of blue.
Old 01-04-2010   #65
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Awesome poster, man! When my band played Fiztgeralds many years ago (after SRV had passed), I felt honored every time I played upstairs on the big stage because Stevie had played on that very same spot many times. Just knowing that he walked that dressing room and roamed that stage gave me goose bumps every single time.

I've got a SRV/Double Trouble poster from one of his gigs at Gilley's in Pasadena. It looks a lot like that one, but I think it's yellow instead of blue.
Awesome!! What a rush that must've been!! Not to menion legends like Etta James or James Brown having played there. Man, I can't even imagine.

My two favorite SRV shows were at the Music Hall and one New Years Eve party at the Astro Arena.
Old 01-04-2010   #66
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Awesome!! What a rush that must've been!! Not to menion legends like Etta James or James Brown having played there. Man, I can't even imagine.

My two favorite SRV shows were at the Music Hall and one New Years Eve party at the Astro Arena.
I forgot about The Godfather of Soul! Friggin' sweet! (ZZ Top, too!)

I never got the chance to see SRV live. I hate that, because he's one of my all-time favorite guitarists, and he was semi-local. Very cool that you got to see him multiple times, though.
Old 01-05-2010   #67
TheBigpaki
Veteran

Rep Power: 759 TheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respected

They should turn it into a HUGE parking garage, and have a walkway connected to the upper levels of Reliant Stadium
TheBigpaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read