Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-27-2009   #21
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mussops Mock - follow up to FA thread

BL Robert Johnson is a much better value in the 3/4th rd. than Mays is in the 1st.

Mayes is a workout warrior who plays football. (very well might I add)

Johnson is just a football player.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #22
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
BL Robert Johnson is a much better value in the 3/4th rd. than Mays is in the 1st.

Mayes is a workout warrior who plays football. (very well might I add)

Johnson is just a football player.
I wonder if Mays could play LB . They say he can bench 400 while running a 4.3 .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #23
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

pretty sure we'll draft this kid to be supplant myers as our center.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #24
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
pretty sure we'll draft this kid to be supplant myers as our center.
Pretty sure he is an undrafted free agent. He might get a late 6th or 7th round sniff, but he is more likely a UDFA. Practice squad would not upset me. He is trained in our system, and has improved each year as a collegiate.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Want a ggod example of Mays play this year. Just go to 3.55 left in second qt of the Emerald Bowl. Mays takes a bad angle and allows wr to score right up the middle. Its very Busing like. That is where my DVR cut off so didnt get to watch the rest of the game.

Anyone else watch the second half? Please let me know how Mays played.

i've got the whole thing on tape USC suckage straight to Houston joining Cushing & Cody
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #26
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
i've got the whole thing on tape USC suckage straight to Houston joining Cushing & Cody
So how did he play in the second half? Any big plays?
Old 12-28-2009   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
I don't have Mays on my list, he is a Roy Williams clone.

I think he is the most overrated player coming out. Roy Williams at least made game changing plays in college.

Quote:
Butler, Brown Pouncy Pouncy Winston
I would lilke to see something like that. I love the twins. Feel kinda creepy saying that about guys. The one that plays center really held his ground against Cody one on one. I would LOVE to see him groomed to replace Myers.
Old 12-28-2009   #28
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brown, Mankins, Caldwell, Winston, Butler

How about an OL like the one above?
That's the path I'd take, if it was up to me.

Winston has been struggling lately, it seems. I'd bump him down to guard and look to draft/sign a RT.

Assuming Caldwell progresses, it'd look something like:

Brown -- Winston -- Caldwell -- Briesel -- Draft/FA

That's some appreciable improvement, IMO
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #29
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown is a much bigger liability on the edge than Winston. If anybody needs to move inside it's him.

Winston
577 plays in pass protection
5 sacks for 9.5 yards
6 QB hits
19 QB pressures

Duane Brown
559 play ins pass protection
8 sacks for 56.5 yards
10 QB hits
32 Qb pressures

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009   #30
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Brown is a much bigger liability on the edge than Winston. If anybody needs to move inside it's him.

Winston
577 plays in pass protection
5 sacks for 9.5 yards
6 QB hits
19 QB pressures

Duane Brown
559 play ins pass protection
8 sacks for 56.5 yards
10 QB hits
32 Qb pressures
I agree that Brown's a bigger liability. But, there are a couple of reasons I'd move Winston inside before I moved Brown.

One, Brown's athleticism. One of the reasons Brown is so valuable at LT, and the reason he was drafted so high there, is his atleticism. Moving Brown inside would marginalize that athleticism, and thus, marginalize his value as a lineman.

Two, Brown's age. Brown is a few years younger than Winston, so he has a bit more time to reach his potential. I think we know what we have with Winston and won't see much more improvement in his game, whereas Brown is still young and has room to further reach his potential.

Three, the nature of Winston's game. Winston is more of a "mauler" than Brown. His weakness lies in his ability to marginalize a quick rusher off the edge, and his strength lies is his ability to bulldoze his opposition. This seems (to me, at least) to be a skill set better suited for guard whereas Brown's more finesse, athletic game seems better suited for the tackle position.

Maybe I'm working off erroneous assumptions about the nature of the positions or the strengths of the players' games, but that's the way I see it. And, that doesn't necessarily mean I'd be opposed to moving Brown to guard, but that's why, if faced with an either-or proposition, I'd rather it be Winston.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read