Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-17-2005   #21
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtech9
all I can say to that is this...when you start playing to avoid the injury, you increase your risk of injury.
Again, I NEVER even suggested that he play to avoid injury. Rather that he should go for a tackle. Remember those, the basic fundumental? And stop trying to make the statement "Big hit". His job is to be ON the field, protect against the pass and stop the run. His job is NOT to be the intimidator of the defense. While I enjoy the big hit as well as anyone, all he has to do is his job and make the stop and be available from game to game. If not, he short changes his team, teammates and fans by doing that which puts him unessisarily at risk. What if his technique was to dive at the legs of the back with his head and every third game he could take the back out and no one EVER got around his end, but halfway through the season he suffers a neck injury and is out for the rest of the season. His replacement isn't as good and all of a sudden that side of the defense is a sieve and we start lossing games because of it. All this because of how he was doing his job, rather that just doing it with good tackling form.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005   #22
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyy
The consensus of neutral observers is picking us for 3rd in the South which is dead on.
Those same neutral observers probably picked the Chargers to finish 4th in the AFC West. No one has any idea exactly what's going to shake out. The point being its all just banter back and forth until we're able to see something on the field.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would call it being realistic. Some boards are loaded with a bunch of mindless homers who don't have a clue. The consensus of neutral observers is picking us for 3rd in the South which is dead on.
Funny, that would be the same neutral observers who picked us to be 4th in the south last season. If you weren't try to characterize your negative comments as neutral you would know the media pretty much leaves the standings in order for their predictions and you would know 3rd in the south could very well be 9-7 tied with Jags with them holding a tie breaker and Indy in the league. Hmmm, that looks pretty similar to what many of the 'mindless homers' have predicted for the season. Maybe the people who aren't thinking are the ones who are mindlessly negative.
Old 06-18-2005   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's more than banter when people put their money where their mouth is. Bodog has us with the longest odds in the South of winning the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sport...ge=2005nflodds

They have an over/under of 6 wins for us. A 6-10 finish. Wouldn't that be peachy.

Could they be wrong? Of course. But at least they are willing to back up their talk with $$$$$. Is anyone on this board who is picking us to make the playoffs willing to back that up with $$$$? I didn't think so.
You don't understand bookmaking at all. An over/under of 6-10 isn't a prediction or actual results by an expert in the sport, it is setting the line at a point which tries to get equal risk on each bet so Bodog doesn't risk any of its own money and makes money off the transactions.
Old 06-18-2005   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Bring it big boy. Let's hear your prediction on how many wins we will have in 2005. Go on record. You taking 9 wins? How much money are you willing to lose on that?
Trying reading and responding to the posts instead of silly and rather pathetic internet Peacock impressions.
Old 06-18-2005   #26
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I just looked at bodog.com, and those aren't the numbers listed.

Odds to win the Super Bowl
Colts 8/1
Jags 40/1
Texans 65/1
Titans 100/1

Odds to win the AFC
Colts 4/1
Jags 12/1
Texans 25/1
Titans 40/1

The teams over/under win totals aren't up yet on bodog.com. They are on at Carib sports:

Colts 11.5
Jags 8.5
Texans 7.5
Titans 6.5
Old 06-18-2005   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
The teams over/under win totals aren't up yet on bodog.com. They are on at Carib sports:

Colts 11.5
Jags 8.5
Texans 7.5
Titans 6.5
Interesting--that would seem to mean more people are betting on improvement from the Texans since the line is higher than last year's win total than the Jags whose over/under is less than last year's win total.
Old 06-18-2005   #28
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Interesting--that would seem to mean more people are betting on improvement from the Texans since the line is higher than last year's win total than the Jags whose over/under is less than last year's win total.
Yeah, but it's still early. Most of the futures bets go down in August. Still, there are some interesting numbers right now.

Packers 8 wins - Based on the guards they lost?
Vikings 9 wins - I thought they'd be higher after the defensive improvements.
Chargers 8 wins - I guess people are betting they were a fluke.
Chiefs 9 wins - That surprises me.
Steelers 9.5 wins - Plax loss hurt that much?
Ravens 10 wins - Ravens favored over Steelers?

Don't know what this has to do with Dunta. I'll predict this: If the Texans finish with a winning record, Dunta's in the Pro Bowl.
Old 06-18-2005   #29
bigtex77
Veteran

Where did the topic go?
Old 06-18-2005   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Don't know what this has to do with Dunta. I'll predict this: If the Texans finish with a winning record, Dunta's in the Pro Bowl.
Two keys to Dunta and the pro-bowl IMO. One an even or better record always helps. Two, Buchanon has to be a threat so teams at least try to throw on Dunta. When we played Oakland we certainly went after Woodson as well as Buchanon so hopefully teams won't try to just game plan Dunta out--I am sure the Colts will throw everywhere.
Old 06-18-2005   #31
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I am sure the Colts will throw everywhere.

Speaking of the Colts, how do you think we'll match up w/them this year with D Rob, Buchanon and Petey Faggins?
Old 06-18-2005   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex77
Speaking of the Colts, how do you think we'll match up w/them this year with D Rob, Buchanon and Petey Faggins?
Assuming Buchanon will be re-energized and play closer to his potential those match-ups should be good, but the basic problem is until you upset Manning you could throw Deion Sanders, Champ Bailey and Ty Law out there in their primes and it won't be enough. The flip side though is IMO Manning rapidly deteriorates when pressured. Last year the Texans got 2 of his 10 INT's on the year and 3 of his 13 sacks (should have been 5 of 15 sacks with one or two fumbles as well). Look at his behavior in the 2nd Texans game last year--he was whining and crying, appealing to the refs (and getting bad calls). How much did losing one of the starting OG's affect them? If the front seven comes together the secondary will be fine. If not, as good as they are they will get picked apart again.
Old 06-18-2005   #33
bigtex77
Veteran

Pressure is the key, thats why I am pumped about Peek, Babin and eventually TJ.
Old 06-18-2005   #34
Big B Texan Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Big B Texan Fan has been demoted to the practice squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex77
Pressure is the key, thats why I am pumped about Peek, Babin and eventually TJ.
Don't forget Greenwood, he play ILB but he'll be stunt blitzing alot.
Sorry off topic but those LB's will help the int and deflection total for D-Rob when we play those colts.
Old 06-18-2005   #35
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B Texan Fan
Don't forget Greenwood, he play ILB but he'll be stunt blitzing alot.
Sorry off topic but those LB's will help the int and deflection total for D-Rob when we play those colts.
Good point. I didn't forget, I was mainly thinking of the pass rush coming from the outside backers and ends.

Last edited by bigtex77; 06-18-2005 at 03:51 PM.
bigtex77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read