Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-16-2009   #41
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McShay's First Mock

I am one of those who think the system does help Dwyer. He is good, no doubts there, but not the player everyone is making him out to be. The system helps every runner, because the D does not know who is going to get the ball. Dwyer up the middle, Nesbitt off guard, or the RB (Allen?). And you can see the confusion in the D. Just look at the yards per carry of these 3 guys. Nesbitt, the QB, is the worst at 3.8 ypc. Dwyer has the most carries and averages an incredible 6.1 yards per carry. Allen averages almost 10 yards per carry (9.8). 10 yards per carry, over 61 carries, and you are going to say that is not a runners system? Look at other runners they have. Jones- 53 rushes for 345 yards (6.5). Wright- 23 rushes for 190 yards (5.9). Peeples- 28 for 143 (5.1). The team averages 5.5 yards per carry. The GT system makes every runner better.

That said, Dwyer is a good player. I would place him in the 17-22 range. He has speed, power, and agility. However, I worry about his football sense. I would not be upset at picking him, but he is not one of my targeted players.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #42
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
VERY GOOD. highlighted the magnificent 13 (unlikey still on the board when the Texans pick). might just be tempted to take Mays afterall, like Bowman too & he would be a nice complement @ WILL next to DeMeco & Cushing.
Thats exactly where I drew my line. Any of those players highlighted fall I jump on them. If all are gone Im looking to trade down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How do you and Mussop respond to criticism that Dwyer is a "system" player? He certainly runs towards the goal and has had three years of very high avg per attempt. I replaced him on my board with Gerhart as I think Dwyer will go in 2nd before we pick.
I think he is Gerhart with speed. I dont care what system he is in. He is big, strong, fast and he breaks tackles.
Old 12-16-2009   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
The only negative effect of the system that he runs in, IMO, would be the beating he takes from disproportional between-the-tackle runs; he does have a history of nagging injuries, but has been able to play through them for the most part.

He's the best RB in the draft, IMO. Though, I might have a slight bias.
Agreed. When I first began to research Dwyer, I found an article that mentioned he was so good at faking he had the ball in the oprion that he was getting hit more than a regular running back. He is very strong. He and Gerhart should do very well with Slaton taking some carries. Dixon is a maybe for me as I don't know much about him.
Old 12-16-2009   #44
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
VERY GOOD. highlighted the magnificent 13 (unlikey still on the board when the Texans pick). might just be tempted to take Mays afterall, like Bowman too & he would be a nice complement @ WILL next to DeMeco & Cushing.
I would say there is a good chance that two QBs (Bradford and Clausen) are taken before we pick as well so that helps. I would be thrilled with Mays and Bowman would give us an even more ridiculous LBing core. I haven't placed that high a value on that third LBer spot because he usually comes out in the nickel but Bowman is the type of athlete that could potentially thrive in coverage. How many 4-3 teams actually keep all three of their LBers on the field for third down though?
Old 12-16-2009   #45
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bowman is probably my favorite LB in the draft. I dont know if the Texans have a place for him though, that is why I dont really see it happening.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #46
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed. When I first began to research Dwyer, I found an article that mentioned he was so good at faking he had the ball in the oprion that he was getting hit more than a regular running back. He is very strong. He and Gerhart should do very well with Slaton taking some carries. Dixon is a maybe for me as I don't know much about him.
Dwyer gets hit on almost every play, with or without the ball. Its the nature of the system. You have to tackle the dive play or your not defending the triple option correctly.

Negatives of Dwyer are the amount of hits he takes and not being familiar with shotgun and I formation sets.

Positives are that he is tough, and runs very tough. He has a knack for running up the middle.

I would love to have him on the Texans.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #47
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

For all you guys that want a big back check out Ryan Matthews RB Fresno State. I dont know know why he doesnt get more talk here.
Old 12-16-2009   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Dwyer gets hit on almost every play, with or without the ball. Its the nature of the system. You have to tackle the dive play or your not defending the triple option correctly.

Negatives of Dwyer are the amount of hits he takes and not being familiar with shotgun and I formation sets.

Positives are that he is tough, and runs very tough. He has a knack for running up the middle.

I would love to have him on the Texans.
What about his blocking skills which are a big need in this scheme?
Old 12-16-2009   #49
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What about his blocking skills which are a big need in this scheme?
Well they don't throw it alot, but when they do Dwyer is usually blocking [retty well. He ran more routes last year than he did this year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Well they don't throw it alot, but when they do Dwyer is usually blocking [retty well. He ran more routes last year than he did this year.
Yeah, I saw him catch a pass but that is not what I am looking for in a power back. If one can run, block and receive that's gravy with the chicken, but I am more interested in the chicken.
Old 12-16-2009   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How do you and Mussop respond to criticism that Dwyer is a "system" player? He certainly runs towards the goal and has had three years of very high avg per attempt. I replaced him on my board with Gerhart as I think Dwyer will go in 2nd before we pick.
He is somewhere between Marion Barber/Jonathan Stewart. Best utilized in stretch zone, I would focus on his 40 splits & shuttle times @ combine to measure just how explosive he is from a standstill. Does not appear to be as explosive as Jonathan but more so than Marion. Takes on tackler/hits not elusive, should come out & not risk injury. would take Gerhart because Toby has better balance & footwork in tight space.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #52
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
For all you guys that want a big back check out Ryan Matthews RB Fresno State. I dont know know why he doesnt get more talk here.
I started a thread here about him last year but it died down after he got hurt.

He doesn't get the respect he deserves. If I had to guess I would say it is because he plays in the WAC.

I think he's great.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #53
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl Thomas wouldn't be my first choice in the 1st round, that would be Joe Haden, but I could live with the pick.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #54
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

"Draft CJ Spiller now...we need to exist again.." -

Texans' running game
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009   #55
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

It's weird to me that last year taylor mays was gonna be the next ronnie lott
Now he's only the 3rd best s in the draft I love mock drafts but they are based a lot on the opinion of the person doing the mock
Old 12-16-2009   #56
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Have the Texans ever taken a safety in the first three rounds? I know aside from Hollings (*gag*), we've never taken a back too highly.

OFFENSE

QB: high investment
WR: high investment (AJ, 3rd rd. JJ)
TE: no high investment (not really necessary for this position)
OL: high investment (Pitts 2nd, Brown 1st, Winston 3rd, Caldwell 3rd)
RB: sort of? (Slaton taken in bottom of 3rd, but no one expected franchise back)

DEFENSE

DL: high investment (Mario 1st, Okoye 1st, TJ 1st, Babin 1st+, Weaver high dollar FA, Antonio Smith high dollar FA, Barwin 2nd) LOL, that's just sad.
LB: high investment (Demeco 2nd, Cushing 1st, Adibi 3rd?)
CB: high investment (Robinson 1st and $10 million, Reeves FA signing, Molden 3rd or 4th? iffy)
S: no one - ever
Old 12-16-2009   #57
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by treduke View Post
It's weird to me that last year taylor mays was gonna be the next ronnie lott
Now he's only the 3rd best s in the draft I love mock drafts but they are based a lot on the opinion of the person doing the mock
Most of that projection was based on his measurables. He really hurt himself going back to school this year. His play has been average at best. For all his measurables he isnt a big hitter and doesnt show above average ball hawking skills.

I bet anything we will be hearing alot of talk about him as an OLB at the combine.
Old 12-21-2009   #58
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Have the Texans ever taken a safety in the first three rounds? I know aside from Hollings (*gag*), we've never taken a back too highly.

OFFENSE

QB: high investment
WR: high investment (AJ, 3rd rd. JJ)
TE: no high investment (not really necessary for this position)
OL: high investment (Pitts 2nd, Brown 1st, Winston 3rd, Caldwell 3rd)
RB: sort of? (Slaton taken in bottom of 3rd, but no one expected franchise back)

DEFENSE

DL: high investment (Mario 1st, Okoye 1st, TJ 1st, Babin 1st+, Weaver high dollar FA, Antonio Smith high dollar FA, Barwin 2nd) LOL, that's just sad.
LB: high investment (Demeco 2nd, Cushing 1st, Adibi 3rd?)
CB: high investment (Robinson 1st and $10 million, Reeves FA signing, Molden 3rd or 4th? iffy)
S: no one - ever
We hadn't taken a OL in the 1st round until last year so stranger things have happened.

And given the impact that Pollard made to the back 7, maybe they've learned that you can't keep getting DBs off the clearance rack and expect to win. We can only hope.
I wanna see stud OGs and DBs this draft. This draft is somewhat light in the RB dept.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #59
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Taylor Mays is the 3rd S in the draft? This must be a hell of a draft year for the S position.
Weaknesses:
Takes false steps in coverage and poor angles
Lacks instincts
Zero ball skills
Not much of a playmaker
Poor tackling technique; throws body around without using arms/hands to wrap up
Hasn't improved his weaknesses going back to sophomore season
Occasionally not in position
Plays out of control
More of an athlete than a football player

Summary: Mays isn't a free safety at the next level; no chance he pans out there because he is horrible in coverage and has zero ball skills. Mays idea of playing football is running and throwing his body around, which is why I am giving him the nickname “The Trojan Torpedo.” I think Mays can start at strong safety for some team, but he will be pretty average. Mays is the Vernon Gholston of safety prospects. Sure he has great measurables, but so did Gholston. I personally wouldn't draft Mays in the top 40 picks, but his draft range is all over the board. He could go top five to a team like Oakland or he could fall to the lower part of the first round.

Player Comparison: Roy L. Williams. It's like someone cloned Roy Williams; Mays and Williams are the EXACT same player. Mays will struggle greatly in coverage at the next level, but he hits hard and is good in run support. Buyer beware.
Old 12-22-2009   #60
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Weaknesses:
Takes false steps in coverage and poor angles
Lacks instincts
Zero ball skills
Not much of a playmaker
Poor tackling technique; throws body around without using arms/hands to wrap up
Hasn't improved his weaknesses going back to sophomore season
Occasionally not in position
Plays out of control
More of an athlete than a football player

Summary: Mays isn't a free safety at the next level; no chance he pans out there because he is horrible in coverage and has zero ball skills. Mays idea of playing football is running and throwing his body around, which is why I am giving him the nickname “The Trojan Torpedo.” I think Mays can start at strong safety for some team, but he will be pretty average. Mays is the Vernon Gholston of safety prospects. Sure he has great measurables, but so did Gholston. I personally wouldn't draft Mays in the top 40 picks, but his draft range is all over the board. He could go top five to a team like Oakland or he could fall to the lower part of the first round.

Player Comparison: Roy L. Williams. It's like someone cloned Roy Williams; Mays and Williams are the EXACT same player. Mays will struggle greatly in coverage at the next level, but he hits hard and is good in run support. Buyer beware.

I agree. If a team were to move him to WLB and bulk him up a little he'd probably be great at the position.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read