Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-08-2009   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My December mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am after a guard to replace Studdard. I am assuming you watched the Alabama/Florida game? How did you evaluate Mike Johnson? SOme others have said he was bascially worthless, but I think he held his own.
He is a quality 3rd rd. prospect. Like Caldwell may take time to develop & Kubiak/Smith don't have that luxury this year. I think we need to focus on impact players who can immediately start & clear upgrades. With Texans draft slot higher than expected Kubiak/Smith need those first three picks to stand out like Cushing, no developmental picks early. Right now I really like Haden in first as the best option to upgrade CB/Dunta, then Gerhart in 2nd. to establish a legit running attack. Third round is tough to project it just depends who's left, remember thinking starter, I would be more inclined to hope that Justin Walton the very fine Center from Baylor is still available cause I think he would come in & start from day one
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #42
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you get a chance to watch any of the games last Saturday? Haden and Ingram really impressed me and Mike Johnson G looked steady if not spectacular.
Yep, I watched the UC-Pitt game, the Florida-Bama game, and the UT-Nebraska game. Not all of each game of course, but a decent amount of each.

Haden was the 2nd best player playing on Saturday. He could start at corner for just about any team on day one.

Suh was THE best player on Saturday. The man is a monster, nough said.

Ingram looked ok. I really dont see what everyone loves about him. Good player, but I am not enamored. Plus he wont come out this year, so I have another season to scout him more closely.

Speaking of Ingram, it was Johnson that helped paved the way for him. Behind just an average line, Ingram is just an average back.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #43
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Yep, I watched the UC-Pitt game, the Florida-Bama game, and the UT-Nebraska game. Not all of each game of course, but a decent amount of each.

Haden was the 2nd best player playing on Saturday. He could start at corner for just about any team on day one.

Ingram looked ok. I really dont see what everyone loves about him. Good player, but I am not enamored. Plus he wont come out this year, so I have another season to scout him more closely.

Speaking of Ingram, it was Johnson that helped paved the way for him. Behind just an average line, Ingram is just an average back.
Yards after contact, my friend. Ingram had like 80 yards after contact.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #44
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Yards after contact, my friend. Ingram had like 80 yards after contact.
I love yards after contact, but for some reason I just wasnt seeing it. It could be my bad. I will pay more attention in the National Championship game, and the next season.
Old 12-08-2009   #45
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Is this like not playing Christmas music until after Thanksgiving ?
I see it as identifying what you percieve the Texans needs . The players don't really matter at this point .
Just the same it is overall harmless and if someone enjoys it, the music or here the mock draft can be avoided for the most part.

Probably, too late, reading too many finals, and too many Jack and cokes, but I did enjoy ranting on the draft and I can now see where it looked more personal than I was thinking about while typing. I am still a draft nerd, just waiting a month or two longer to go into the same mode.
Old 12-08-2009   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
the joy from the team comes from a credible product, but I'm a bigger fan of the NFL than perhaps the Texans...so I do enjoy going to NFL games each Sunday either way. What I have lost most of my interest in is the draft in December. It used to be something to look forward to as a fan of an expansion franchise but this is no longer an expansion franchise. I'll get excited about the draft around the combine, but it doesn't matter who you draft if the team never ever wins more games than it loses in nearly a decade of drafting. Go ahead and enjoy the endless speculation, but I'll enjoy the games where teams are fighting for something. I enjoy the game, the strategy, the fight, and the intensity of the NFL playoffs and the games determining the last playoff slots without the Texans in the mix once again. I just can't get excited about the draft in week 14 of the NFL season since there are 8 weeks of football left. The draft will be there when April arrives.
I understand what you are saying Vinny, but I still get excited about comparing notes with others on MB. Reading two guys opinions that Mike Johnson was not a very good guard then focusing in on his game to see if I agree. When I did my final first round mock before the last draft, I did not think I would get any correct but I remember the thrill when Oakland took the WR I had mocked. Then I had Jenkins for Texans and everyone crushed me saying no way. He went #14. Cheap thrills but ...
Old 12-08-2009   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
He is a quality 3rd rd. prospect. Like Caldwell may take time to develop & Kubiak/Smith don't have that luxury this year. I think we need to focus on impact players who can immediately start & clear upgrades. With Texans draft slot higher than expected Kubiak/Smith need those first three picks to stand out like Cushing, no developmental picks early. Right now I really like Haden in first as the best option to upgrade CB/Dunta, then Gerhart in 2nd. to establish a legit running attack. Third round is tough to project it just depends who's left, remember thinking starter, I would be more inclined to hope that Justin Walton the very fine Center from Baylor is still available cause I think he would come in & start from day one
I agree but was hoping to land a LG to upgrade Studdard and give QB and RB help. That is why I took Asamoah at #2but I too run into problems at #3. The only way I see getting my top needs are either going with a Dixon in 3rd after Haden and my LG or 1) Gerhart [a reach but guarantees me the back I want] 2) Asamoah 3) best coverage CB available and hope he is really good or Quin can be the starter.
Old 12-08-2009   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

I saw what you did & SUh was going against a good offensive line and a mobile QB. I don't think Ingram is an avg back but I hear you. I am really focusing on Haden at our first pick because I want DR gone. I do think If we could get Johnson in 3rd to block for Gerhart (2nd) and put Haden on other side of ball, it would be a very sweet draft. I think fast backs like Spiller may be the special for the day but Toby may end up a first.
Old 12-10-2009   #49
badboy
Site Contributor

Anyone surprised that Gerhart made the five for the Heisman?
Old 12-10-2009   #50
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
I saw what you did & SUh was going against a good offensive line and a mobile QB. I don't think Ingram is an avg back but I hear you. I am really focusing on Haden at our first pick because I want DR gone. I do think If we could get Johnson in 3rd to block for Gerhart (2nd) and put Haden on other side of ball, it would be a very sweet draft. I think fast backs like Spiller may be the special for the day but Toby may end up a first.
Oh, I did not say Ingram was average. I just dont think he is the next great back. He will be good, but not great.

I love your draft, it would be sick as hell. If Haden is gone, I am thinking Iupati-Gerhart- and a corner. We would switch to a power run game.

Quote:
Anyone surprised that Gerhart made the five for the Heisman?
Haha, nope.
Old 12-11-2009   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Oh, I did not say Ingram was average. I just dont think he is the next great back. He will be good, but not great.

I love your draft, it would be sick as hell. If Haden is gone, I am thinking Iupati-Gerhart- and a corner. We would switch to a power run game.

Haha, nope.
I can not get a grip on this Kubiac thing. Radio talk shows seem to be running about 70-30 to fire him. If he leaves, you & I are on same page. I would probably panic and select Gerhart too early to avoid missing him. I am not usually a BPA guy but draft to fill need especially for priority. We have got to have a power back.

Matt McGuire for WalterFootball.com does two rounds:updated December 4th
Texans #17 Earl Thomas FS #49 (2nd) Jonathan Dwyer

Walt does three rounds:updated December 10th
Texans #13 Thomas F.S. #44 (2nd) Mike Iupati OG #74 Gerhart
I could live with that draft. I'd feel better with Thomas supporting Quin; but would like another CB. I have Kyle Wilson in 4th but many think he will be in 2nd round with Perrish Cox ahead of him. I am going to start looking for another CB in case.
Old 12-11-2009   #52
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
I can not get a grip on this Kubiac thing. Radio talk shows seem to be running about 70-30 to fire him. If he leaves, you & I are on same page. I would probably panic and select Gerhart too early to avoid missing him. I am not usually a BPA guy but draft to fill need especially for priority. We have got to have a power back.

Matt McGuire for WalterFootball.com does two rounds:updated December 4th
Texans #17 Earl Thomas FS #49 (2nd) Jonathan Dwyer

Walt does three rounds:updated December 10th
Texans #13 Thomas F.S. #44 (2nd) Mike Iupati OG #74 Gerhart
I could live with that draft. I'd feel better with Thomas supporting Quin; but would like another CB. I have Kyle Wilson in 4th but many think he will be in 2nd round with Perrish Cox ahead of him. I am going to start looking for another CB in case.
The thing is, you really cant take a guy to early, if you have him as the player you want. Everyone made fun of the Titans when they drafted Chris Johnson, saying they picked him too early, but look who is laughing now. Good teams dont let other teams opinions influence their draft.

As the Texans keep losing, it looks more likely the Texans will be in a position to draft Haden, and get Gerhart in the 2nd. I highly doubt Gerhart runs slow enough to drop him to the third, he is the best power back (maybe second best, but I bumped him over Dwyer) in the draft. The third round pick should probably be an interior lineman.
Old 12-11-2009   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
The thing is, you really cant take a guy to early, if you have him as the player you want. Everyone made fun of the Titans when they drafted Chris Johnson, saying they picked him too early, but look who is laughing now. Good teams dont let other teams opinions influence their draft.

As the Texans keep losing, it looks more likely the Texans will be in a position to draft Haden, and get Gerhart in the 2nd. I highly doubt Gerhart runs slow enough to drop him to the third, he is the best power back (maybe second best, but I bumped him over Dwyer) in the draft. The third round pick should probably be an interior lineman.
Good points. If you have a need and that guy is there pick him. To many worry about other saying he would have been there (later round). Maybe yes and maybe no. You are right on target about Chris Johnson and I think this philosophy may have impacted us not getting an Rb last draft. If we go to a power blocking O next year, I am not sure if Mike Johnson would start over Studdard or Brisiel if Caldwell moved to LG.
Old 12-11-2009   #54
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe this offseason Rick Smith can get real proactive & trade players (Dunta Robinson, Amobi Okoye, Andre Davis, Xavier Adibi - you have to give up value to get value) then trade down if Hayden is off the board in first. This has been the Patriots style, the difference being they got too aggressive when still in contention while its clear the Texans have yet to be in contention.

Imagine a draft with a couple picks in every round, oh the things we could do

1st - CB/OL
2nd - RB/DL
3rd - OL/DB
4th - OLB/LB
5th - RB/WR
6th - PK/QB
7th - CB/P
Old 12-11-2009   #55
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe this offseason Rick Smith can get real proactive & trade players (Dunta Robinson, Amobi Okoye, Andre Davis, Xavier Adibi - you have to give up value to get value) then trade down if Hayden is off the board in first. This has been the Patriots style, the difference being they got too aggressive when still in contention while its clear the Texans have yet to be in contention.

1st - CB/OL
2nd - RB/DL
3rd - OL/DB
4th - OLB/LB
5th - RB/WR
6th - PK/QB
7th - CB/P

Yes... wouldn't it be loverly?!
Old 12-11-2009   #56
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

1st - CB/OL
2nd - RB/DL
3rd - OL/DB
4th - OLB/LB
5th - RB/WR
6th - PK/QB
7th - CB/P
I used to encourage this years ago until tired of being laughed off the board, I gave up. Why couldn't we have gotten at least a third for Dunta? I think the last trade up to get back into the first ended poorly and McNair issued a memorandum to knock it off. I would gladly take a 2nd for Jacoby Jones.
Old 12-11-2009   #57
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I used to encourage this years ago until tired of being laughed off the board, I gave up. Why couldn't we have gotten at least a third for Dunta? I think the last trade up to get back into the first ended poorly and McNair issued a memorandum to knock it off. I would gladly take a 2nd for Jacoby Jones.
salary cap stuff mostly. In order to get a 3rd for Dunta you would have had to have him agree to a huge contract with his new team and he proved why he wasn't worth doing that this last season. Nobody would give up a 3rd with the player leaving for FA. Who in their right mind would give a 2nd for Jacoby (I don't start) Jones? You can get a dedicated kick returner on the second day of any draft.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #58
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
salary cap stuff mostly. In order to get a 3rd for Dunta you would have had to have him agree to a huge contract with his new team and he proved why he wasn't worth doing that this last season. Nobody would give up a 3rd with the player leaving for FA. Who in their right mind would give a 2nd for Jacoby (I don't start) Jones? You can get a dedicated kick returner on the second day of any draft.
sometimes your such a debbie downer J/K
Old 12-11-2009   #59
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
sometimes your such a debbie downer J/K
yeah, but that's why we have you here. Your good nature keeps this place hoppin'

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
The trade I have discussed before was DR and others(Okoye, Okam & another I think) to Oakland for Aso and a nose tackle. Davis would get a younger CB for less $ and Okam to replace the aging NT and Okoye to add a possible lineman on the up. In that trade, DR would get most of his money and agree to the deal. Having said that, DR might be worth a 3rd to Raiders. JJ has shown recently to be more than a return guy. He has done well as a WR. What he can not do is get to work on time. And by the way didn't we give a 2nd for him? How many KR do have we had on this team who did little for us?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read