Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-02-2009   #41
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Bye Week Mock Draft-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If we draft around #15 we should be able to get a CB, FS OG and Center as all but Guard are fairly deep. I want a power back and there are not many of them.

Haden CB; Gerhart RB;Mike Johnson OG;Mike Neal DT; Thomas Austin C; Robert Johnson FS/CB (Utah) and Tyler Sash SS covers my needs.
Every year quality guards fall to the 3rd round an down. I still think we have to go BPA in round 1 and 2 and then possibly we can start filling needs.
Old 12-02-2009   #42
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

someone i would love to see the texans draft is terrence cody from alabama!
and i know the trojans are having a down year and he's battled some injuries but i'll still take taylor mays if he's on the board!
Old 12-02-2009   #43
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Every year quality guards fall to the 3rd round an down. I still think we have to go BPA in round 1 and 2 and then possibly we can start filling needs.
This is usually true, though I was all about taking Brandon Albert in the first round as an OG. Then some morons decided that he would make a great NFL LT. That's working out well. The Chiefs are still looking for an NFL LT and there are talks up here about moving him back to his natural LG spot and drafting a real LT. I thought he had All-Pro potential as an OG. But otherwise, I do agree with your point.
Old 12-02-2009   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by treduke View Post
someone i would love to see the texans draft is terrence cody from alabama!
and i know the trojans are having a down year and he's battled some injuries but i'll still take taylor mays if he's on the board!
Tell me what you like about Cody. I was a big Mays fan early this season but he is having a very average year. He will go in first but I am leaning elswhere with my first and probably just go with Wilson again next year. I am still trying to create a new mock after losing 2 games last week. Let's talk about your Nose Tackle.
Old 12-02-2009   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
This is usually true, though I was all about taking Brandon Albert in the first round as an OG. Then some morons decided that he would make a great NFL LT. That's working out well. The Chiefs are still looking for an NFL LT and there are talks up here about moving him back to his natural LG spot and drafting a real LT. I thought he had All-Pro potential as an OG. But otherwise, I do agree with your point.
YTF, what can you give me on OG Mike Johnson? I am looking at him in round three. Will he work well in the ZBS if we keep it next year. I am worried about recent info at draftscout.com that was posted yesterday.
Old 12-02-2009   #46
treduke
All Pro

Rep Power: 178 treduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respectedtreduke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tell me what you like about Cody. I was a big Mays fan early this season but he is having a very average year. He will go in first but I am leaning elswhere with my first and probably just go with Wilson again next year. I am still trying to create a new mock after losing 2 games last week. Let's talk about your Nose Tackle.
i dont know if you're trying to pick on the new guy or what but here goes!
cody clogs the middle of one the best defenses in the country! ask any inside lb what his best friend is and they probably tell you a big nasty dt who keeps those hogs busy! he brings as nastiness that honestly the texans could use up front! would love suh or Mccoy from oklahoma but thats wishful thinking! at 6'5 and about 385 i think he needs to lose some weight and work on his lateral quickness cause from watching him the last couple of weeks i think he sometimes stuggles to shed blocks! that's my opinion! i'm not mel kiper or todd mc shay just a guy who watches alot of football!
Old 12-02-2009   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
cody clogs the middle of one the best defenses in the country! ask any inside lb what his best friend is and they probably tell you a big nasty dt who keeps those hogs busy! he brings as nastiness that honestly the texans could use up front! would love suh or Mccoy from oklahoma but thats wishful thinking! at 6'5 and about 385 i think he needs to lose some weight and work on his lateral quickness cause from watching him the last couple of weeks i think he sometimes stuggles to shed blocks! that's my opinion! i'm not mel kiper or todd mc shay just a guy who watches alot of football!
No picking intended. If you review my posts I am a draft nut. I change mocks about weekly and am always looking for info. I'll respond on Cody in a bit. Welcome to the jungle.
Old 12-02-2009   #48
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we draft around #15 we should be able to get a CB, FS OG and Center as all but Guard are fairly deep. I want a power back and there are not many of them.

Haden CB; Gerhart RB;Mike Johnson OG;Mike Neal DT; Thomas Austin C; Robert Johnson FS/CB (Utah) and Tyler Sash SS covers my needs.
Now that is a draft I could get behind. Only thing, Sash is a RS Soph, so there is no way in hell he comes out if he is not a first day guy. I would look for a special teamer here, a kicker maybe (if there is one valued high enough), or a linebacker.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #49
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First- Welcome to the board. And its great to see another guy enthused about the draft.

Second- Chill on the exclamation points a little.

Now, to your ideas. Cody is (in my opinion) best suited for the NT in a 3-4. I do not see him having too much of an impact in a 4-3, he is just too slow and unconditioned. It would be great to have a big DT plugging up the lanes, but the DT's in a 4-3 need to get at least a little bit of pressure on the QB. Cody looks like a man amongst boys out there because of his size. I think if you put him against the pros, he becomes very average. He is huge, but there is so much fat. I would be surprised if he lifts 30 reps this combine. Also, the Alabama D is stacked. They have players with pro potential at just about every position. That makes him look better than he is.
Old 12-02-2009   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Treduke, Historically I have called for a big NT to stop the run as Kubiac has identified the need to stop the run as a "Priority need" last two seasons but did nothing to address that in last two drafts. Well, he did pick Okam in 4th but that has been a dud. After a weak start to the season, Bush has been able to keep the yards down below 100 for most part and by using "lighter" DTs. Let's look at Terrence Cody. He started 12 games in 2008 and was credited with 24 tackles 7 of which were solo. So far this year he has 22 tackles. A Dlineman averaging only two tackles a game does not float my boat. Yeah, he does clog the middle but how much of Alabama's defensive success is his? I would not give a 2nd for him to be honest. Those big boys usually have a problem keeping the weight down also. To give credit he did block two field goals.
Old 12-02-2009   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Now that is a draft I could get behind. Only thing, Sash is a RS Soph, so there is no way in hell he comes out if he is not a first day guy. I would look for a special teamer here, a kicker maybe (if there is one valued high enough), or a linebacker.
If Sash get a rating anything higher than a 5th he ought to fall on his knees and thank mama. No offense but no one knows the guy. He needs to get on an NFL team and get some coaching and work his way off special teams. Can't do that chasing college girls.
Old 12-02-2009   #52
treduke
All Pro

Quote:
First- Welcome to the board. And its great to see another guy enthused about the draft.

Second- Chill on the exclamation points a little.

Now, to your ideas. Cody is (in my opinion) best suited for the NT in a 3-4. I do not see him having too much of an impact in a 4-3, he is just too slow and unconditioned. It would be great to have a big DT plugging up the lanes, but the DT's in a 4-3 need to get at least a little bit of pressure on the QB. Cody looks like a man amongst boys out there because of his size. I think if you put him against the pros, he becomes very average. He is huge, but there is so much fat. I would be surprised if he lifts 30 reps this combine. Also, the Alabama D is stacked. They have players with pro potential at just about every position. That makes him look better than he is.
first- thanks for the welcome
second-sorry about all the exclamation points
with all the cowher talk and rumors that most likely means a switch to a 3-4 and i do agree with the fact that he is overweight as far as the d being stacked i call that the trojan syndrome when you have so many good players on a team some do tend be be a little overrated that being said if cody gets into a good situation i think he'll be a good pro
Old 12-02-2009   #53
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
first- thanks for the welcome
second-sorry about all the exclamation points
with all the cowher talk and rumors that most likely means a switch to a 3-4 and i do agree with the fact that he is overweight as far as the d being stacked i call that the trojan syndrome when you have so many good players on a team some do tend be be a little overrated that being said if cody gets into a good situation i think he'll be a good pro
Not to gang up but I think an ZBS offense like ours would run Cody ragged. I just don't see him keeping up. Not saying he can't get in shape but wow. He should have more tackles by guys just running into him and bouncing to the ground.

Any one else you like? Give us some ideas on who you would pick for Texans in next draft.
Old 12-02-2009   #54
treduke
All Pro

Quote:
Not to gang up but I think an ZBS offense like ours would run Cody ragged. I just don't see him keeping up. Not saying he can't get in shape but wow. He should have more tackles by guys just running into him and bouncing to the ground.

Any one else you like? Give us some ideas on who you would pick for Texans in next draft.
one last thought on mt. cody i would not spend a 1st on him or even a 2nd for that matter i watch alot of big 12 football and another guy i like is parish cox as guy that could still be around in the mid-rounds 6'0 about 195 runs a 4.3 very good return guy which would allow jacoby to focus more on being a receiver he does take some risks and needs work on his tackling but with some good coaching that wont be a big issue
Old 12-02-2009   #55
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
one last thought on mt. cody i would not spend a 1st on him or even a 2nd for that matter i watch alot of big 12 football and another guy i like is parish cox as guy that could still be around in the mid-rounds 6'0 about 195 runs a 4.3 very good return guy which would allow jacoby to focus more on being a receiver he does take some risks and needs work on his tackling but with some good coaching that wont be a big issue
I doubt Kubiak & staff get the boot but if somehow Texans switch to a 3-4 Cody would have to be in the mix, you simply cannot run this defense without a massive run stopper in the middle. He is elite to NT position if a team has such a need he will surely be targeted
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #56
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I doubt Kubiak & staff get the boot but if somehow Texans switch to a 3-4 Cody would have to be in the mix, you simply cannot run this defense without a massive run stopper in the middle. He is elite to NT position if a team has such a need he will surely be targeted
Just curious, you see Cody as an elite prospect? Por que?
Old 12-02-2009   #57
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just curious, you see Cody as an elite prospect? Por que?
its kinda funny but his teammate last year stole the show @ the combine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR0ysfkUxuw & still got drafted #6 overall by Cincinnati, I would call that elite. so it would not surprise me if Cody learned nothing from this & just went about his buisness like Andre did cause in the end 6'4" 370 lb DT's don't grow on trees. It is important for him to be reached by his coaches & they manuver a route he can develop some better work habits with an incentive layden contract which sets both weight, conditioning & strength goals.
Old 12-02-2009   #58
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
its kinda funny but his teammate last year stole the show @ the combine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR0ysfkUxuw & still got drafted #6 overall by Cincinnati, I would call that elite. so it would not surprise me if Cody learned nothing from this & just went about his buisness like Andre did cause in the end 6'4" 370 lb DT's don't grow on trees. It is important for him to be reached by his coaches & they manuver a route he can develop some better work habits with an incentive layden contract which sets both weight, conditioning & strength goals.
Hmm. I just worry when players dont control their weight. I mean, if they cant put in the effort to get into the NFL, what will they do once they sign a bigass contract?

I will admit, if he can get his weight down to 335-350, and build some strength, he could be a good player. I still see him being drafted by a 3-4 team though. DT's in the 4-3 need to at least threaten the QB. Cody is averaging what, a sack per year?
Old 12-02-2009   #59
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Hey im a build the trenches first guy so dont get me wrong. If one of the top OT's fell to us in the first round and I were GM, I would have the card turned in before they finished announcing the previous picks name. IMO you just dont pass up elite OL unless its for an elite DL.

Quote:
I think the conditioning theory has been a little overhyped. His conditioning has gotten better every year. He came into this year around 350 and in the best shape of his Bama career. He's shown the right attitude and worked hard. And while you say the other good players around him make him look better, I couldnt agree less. In the 3/4 the nose tackle and the inside linebackers, those are three guys that are very important. But when you go through it, the nose tackle is probably the single-most important guy. Because he demands double teams it frees up Rolondo McClain and the other defendars to make plays. He beats his man 1 on 1 the majority of the time so teams have to double him. Auburn tried to start off single blocking him on the first play of the game and Cody plowed throught tthe guy and tackled the RB behind the line of scrimage.

Watch him when he has to pursue a play, he doesnt give up and just stop like a guy that has bad conditioning. He hustles for a guy his size. Now im not saying he could run a marothon but he has good conditioning for a guy his size. Even Saben raved about Cody’s work ethic and character. He reminds me alot of Gilbert Brown the DT for the Packers in their latest glory days. I think some 3/4 team is going to pick him and he will do exactly what they drafted him for and do it well.

Quote:
Let's look at Terrence Cody. He started 12 games in 2008 and was credited with 24 tackles 7 of which were solo. So far this year he has 22 tackles. A Dlineman averaging only two tackles a game does not float my boat. Yeah, he does clog the middle but how much of Alabama's defensive success is his? I would not give a 2nd for him to be honest. Those big boys usually have a problem keeping the weight down also. To give credit he did block two field goals.
You just dont rack up stats as a 3/4 NT. How can you judge him for tackles when his main job is to tie up blockers? I agree he wouldnt be the same in our 4/3 but he is more than capable of performing well at whats required of a 3/4 N.

If we were to hire Cowher and switched to a 3/4, I wouldnt be unhappy if we drafted Cody in the first.
Old 12-02-2009   #60
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Hey im a build the trenches first guy so dont get me wrong. If one of the top OT's fell to us in the first round and I were GM, I would have the card turned in before they finished announcing the previous picks name. IMO you just dont pass up elite OL unless its for an elite DL.

I think the conditioning theory has been a little overhyped. His conditioning has gotten better every year. He came into this year around 350 and in the best shape of his Bama career. He's shown the right attitude and worked hard. And while you say the other good players around him make him look better, I couldnt agree less. In the 3/4 the nose tackle and the inside linebackers, those are three guys that are very important. But when you go through it, the nose tackle is probably the single-most important guy. Because he demands double teams it frees up Rolondo McClain and the other defendars to make plays. He beats his man 1 on 1 the majority of the time so teams have to double him. Auburn tried to start off single blocking him on the first play of the game and Cody plowed throught tthe guy and tackled the RB behind the line of scrimage.

Watch him when he has to pursue a play, he doesnt give up and just stop like a guy that has bad conditioning. He hustles for a guy his size. Now im not saying he could run a marothon but he has good conditioning for a guy his size. Even Saben raved about Cody’s work ethic and character. He reminds me alot of Gilbert Brown the DT for the Packers in their latest glory days. I think some 3/4 team is going to pick him and he will do exactly what they drafted him for and do it well.

You just dont rack up stats as a 3/4 NT. How can you judge him for tackles when his main job is to tie up blockers? I agree he wouldnt be the same in our 4/3 but he is more than capable of performing well at whats required of a 3/4 N.

If we were to hire Cowher and switched to a 3/4, I wouldnt be unhappy if we drafted Cody in the first.
This post pretty much sums it all up. good job

If we all got together & came up with a top 32 draft board of elite prospects Terrence Cody would be on that list as the premier NT in the nation. with increase in popularity of the 3-4 you can bet several teams will bring him in for private workouts following his combine & pro-day

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read