Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009   #1
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,214
Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Hypothetical Draft Question

If our 1st round pick is in the #16-18 range and Joe Haden has already been taken, how would you guys feel about trading out of the 1st round? Haden is the only player that I think is a 1st round must have player that we'd have a realistic chance at getting. Our other big needs are FS, Eugene Wilson could play another year since he's still under contract and O-linemen won't start to be selected til the 2nd round. So although there are other players that would be nice to have like Dwyer or Thomas, they're not must haves like Haden would be. What do you think we could realistically get for our 1st round pick and would you be willing to trade out of the 1st round? Thanks.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #2
painekiller
Hall of Fame
 
painekiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: On the West Belt
Age: 51
Posts: 2,051
Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
If our 1st round pick is in the #16-18 range and Joe Haden has already been taken, how would you guys feel about trading out of the 1st round? Haden is the only player that I think is a 1st round must have player that we'd have a realistic chance at getting. Our other big needs are FS, Eugene Wilson could play another year since he's still under contract and O-linemen won't start to be selected til the 2nd round. So although there are other players that would be nice to have like Dwyer or Thomas, they're not must haves like Haden would be. What do you think we could realistically get for our 1st round pick and would you be willing to trade out of the 1st round? Thanks.
Weatherspoon, McClain, Spikes are all upgrades and mid 1st round guys, IMO.

Now please remember, the Pats have 3 2nds or something like that.

Last edited by painekiller; 12-02-2009 at 09:01 AM.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #3
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame
 
WolverineFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,113
Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

If Earl Thomas is available I would snatch him without hesitation. Unfortunately, he will more than likely return to Texas for his junior season and then go pro next year.

One guy I would love for the Texans to grab is Rolando McClain. Unfortunately, we already have a MLB in Demeco so we wouldn't really have anywhere to put him. I just love him though. Absolute player. Most instinct-full, talented college LB I've seen in a while.
__________________
"Those who stay will be champions."

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame
 
bah007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Woodlands, TX
Posts: 8,283
Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
If Earl Thomas is available I would snatch him without hesitation. Unfortunately, he will more than likely return to Texas for his junior season and then go pro next year.

One guy I would love for the Texans to grab is Rolando McClain. Unfortunately, we already have a MLB in Demeco so we wouldn't really have anywhere to put him. I just love him though. Absolute player. Most instinct-full, talented college LB I've seen in a while.
It's rumored around UT that Thomas informed the coaches today of his intention to return next season.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #5
painekiller
Hall of Fame
 
painekiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: On the West Belt
Age: 51
Posts: 2,051
Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
One guy I would love for the Texans to grab is Rolando McClain. Unfortunately, we already have a MLB in Demeco so we wouldn't really have anywhere to put him. I just love him though. Absolute player. Most instinct-full, talented college LB I've seen in a while.
McClain can play all three positions just like Ryans and Cushing. You just get all three on the field and figure out the best combo of where.

McClain Will - Ryans MIKE - Cushing SAM is the most likely grouping

or

Barwin McClain Ryans Cushing in a 3-4 set up.

Weatherspoon would be a more natural fit for the WILL.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #6
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame
 
WolverineFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,113
Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
McClain can play all three positions just like Ryans and Cushing. You just get all three on the field and figure out the best combo of where.

McClain Will - Ryans MIKE - Cushing SAM is the most likely grouping

or

Barwin McClain Ryans Cushing in a 3-4 set up.

Weatherspoon would be a more natural fit for the WILL.
Well I feel like McClain's best fit is at MIKE and that would mean sliding Demeco out to WILL. Not a bad move, but Demeco has been a solid MLB so it would be tough to make that decision.
__________________
"Those who stay will be champions."

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame
 
TexansSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 26
Posts: 8,273
Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
It's rumored around UT that Thomas informed the coaches today of his intention to return next season.
I don't doubt it. He really should return, not because he needs to develop more, but because he is in a top program and has only played 2 years of college football. If I was him, I would want to play another year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2009   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame
 
Wolf6151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 3,214
Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Weatherspoon, McClain, Spikes are all upgrades and mid 1st round guys, IMO.

Now please remember, the Pats have 3 2nds or something like that.
All 3 of these guys would be nice additions to the team in the mid 1st round but none of them is a must have player that would be filling a gaping hole on the team. We've got a good corp of LB's. If we lose Dunta, which I'm fine with, it leaves a gaping hole at #1 CB. There's no CB on this team worthy of being a #1 and going up against the opposing teams #1 WR every week. Quin has shown some promise for the future but it's a long way from good nickle CB to being a consistent #1, see Fred Bennett. If Dunta leaves then we have a gaping hole on the team that must be filled immediately. No other position on the field would have to be filled in the 1st round. Earl Thomas would be nice but he's not a must have player because we've got adequate talent in Eugene Wilson to fill the spot for another year, he's still under contract, there's no gaping hole at FS if we don't get Earl Thomas. I'm suggesting that if we don't get Joe Haden then we trade out of the 1st round, possibly with New England who's got three 2nd round picks #45, 51, and 58. We could possibly trade for their #45 and 51 thus giving us three 2nd round picks. I've seen the trade value chart and the points work slightly in their favor which is how you sell them on the deal. Three 2nd round picks would do this team wonders and allow us to build our O-line with 2 quality talent OG/C and still get a 2nd round CB like Lindley or Patrick Robinson, if we don't fill the gaping CB hole in FA or possibly a 2nd round FS.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #9
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 21,624
Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

First, I think the target range is solid, I have us at #15 after dropping from #22. So much is up in the air with Juniors and I am sorry to see the info about Thomas remaining. Last night I was scheming if Quin could take DR place, I might go with Thomas in 1st and select another CB later rounds. Having Thomas on field behind Quin would ease my mind some. I think it was a Walters columnist I read yesterday saying Thomas returning to Texas would be difficult for the player to improve on this season + injury possibility. For most players, I want them to be studying under a NFl coach than college.
__________________
Buy my 2012 fully loaded Nissan Maxima Sports Edition for balance owed! Very low mileage.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #10
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 21,624
Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
All 3 of these guys would be nice additions to the team in the mid 1st round but none of them is a must have player that would be filling a gaping hole on the team. We've got a good corp of LB's. If we lose Dunta, which I'm fine with, it leaves a gaping hole at #1 CB. There's no CB on this team worthy of being a #1 and going up against the opposing teams #1 WR every week. Quin has shown some promise for the future but it's a long way from good nickle CB to being a consistent #1, see Fred Bennett. If Dunta leaves then we have a gaping hole on the team that must be filled immediately. No other position on the field would have to be filled in the 1st round. Earl Thomas would be nice but he's not a must have player because we've got adequate talent in Eugene Wilson to fill the spot for another year, he's still under contract, there's no gaping hole at FS if we don't get Earl Thomas. I'm suggesting that if we don't get Joe Haden then we trade out of the 1st round, possibly with New England who's got three 2nd round picks #45, 51, and 58. We could possibly trade for their #45 and 51 thus giving us three 2nd round picks. I've seen the trade value chart and the points work slightly in their favor which is how you sell them on the deal. Three 2nd round picks would do this team wonders and allow us to build our O-line with 2 quality talent OG/C and still get a 2nd round CB like Lindley or Patrick Robinson, if we don't fill the gaping CB hole in FA or possibly a 2nd round FS.
A trade down works if you are not focusing on a particular player but rather a position. For example I like either Jonathan Dwyer or Toby Gerhart to fill a need position as a power back. Let's say I think # 15 is too high but I believe that both will be gone by #51 in second round. I am able to select an extra player which is nice because this draft appears deep in most of our need positions (other than power back). It depends on how each of us value the player.

On the other hand if I am comfortable I can draft Gerhart, Jon Asamoah G and a CB like Ras I Dowling or Perrish Cox in the 2nd and then get Morgan Burnett FS in third, I'd be all over it.
__________________
Buy my 2012 fully loaded Nissan Maxima Sports Edition for balance owed! Very low mileage.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #11
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame
 
WolverineFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,113
Rep Power: 65204 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

To be honest I would not touch Brandon Spikes come draft day. I don't like his attitude and I think he's overrated. He is surrounded by some of the best defensive players in the country and I think that covers many of his weaknesses. I won't call him a bust in the making, but I do not want him on the Texans. If we go LB then we could grab Weatherspoon to play WILL. He's a good fit there. Or McClain to play MIKE and we move Demeco to WILL. However, I would prefer if we could get Berry (severely unlikely) or Joe Haden.
__________________
"Those who stay will be champions."

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,707
Rep Power: 58359 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
McClain can play all three positions just like Ryans and Cushing. You just get all three on the field and figure out the best combo of where.

McClain Will - Ryans MIKE - Cushing SAM is the most likely grouping

or

Barwin McClain Ryans Cushing in a 3-4 set up.

Weatherspoon would be a more natural fit for the WILL.
After watching the Auburn game Im not sure McClain would flourish as an OLB. Did anyone else what that game? His best qualities are taylor made for the middle. If the coaches feel Demeco can move outside and still perform then Spikes or McClain would be an awsome addition to this team. If they are reluctant to move Ryans outside then Weatherspoon would be a huge upgrade over Dyles. Actually Weatherspoon is the prototype LB this team lacks if it is truely being built to beat Indy.

To the OP I know you are really high on Hayden but there should be some quality CB's in this draft. Have you seen Bama's Arenas or Trevard Lindley of Kentucky? I would be happy with either of those guys.
At the moment we are #14 and IMO there are 18 guys I would have a hard time passing up.

1 Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
2 Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
3 Eric Berry FS Tennessee
4 Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
5 Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
6 Taylor Mays FS Southern California
7 Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
8 Greg Hardy DE Mississippi (if injury checks out)
9 Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State
10 Joe Haden CB Florida
11 Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
12 Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
13 Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
14 Brandon Spikes LB Florida
15 Rolando McLain LB Alabama
16 Terrence Cody DT Alabama
17 Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
18 Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri

This group is just to talented to pass up regardless of position IMO. If we could trade down and still get one of these guys thats a different story.

Actually I would like to see us trade a future pick and move up to get a chance to draft a couple of extra second teir guys. Say our 2011 first round pick for a early second and a 3rd. I can actually see this happening if Kubiak survives this year. That would give us 4 picks to on this group.

** I know some of these guys will go in the first.

1 Colt McCoy QB Texas
2 Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
3 Patrick Robinson CB Florida State
4 Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
5 Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma
6 Arthur Jones DT Syracuse
7 Ricky Sapp DE Clemson
8 Jerry Hughes DE Texas Christian
9 Brandon Graham DE Michigan
10 Jahvid Best RB California
11 Sergio Kindle LB Texas
12 C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
13 Jared Odrick DT Penn State
14 Selvish Capers OT West Virginia
15 Corey Wooten DE Northwestern
16 Navorro Bowman LB Penn State
17 Eric Norwood LB South Carolina
18 Ryan Matthews RB Fresno State
19 Von Miller LB Texas A&M
20 Darrell Stuckey FS Kansas
21 Sean Lee LB Penn State
22 Vince Oghobaase DT Duke
23 Sam Young OT Notre Dame
24 Trevard Lyndley CB Kentucky
25 Javier Arenas CB Alabama
26 Brandon Ghee CB Wake Forest
27 Dan Williams DT Tennessee
28 Boo Robinson DT Wake Forest
29 Micah Johnson ILB Kentucky
30 Sergio Render OG Virginia Tech
31 Thomas Austin OG Clemson (can play guard or Center)
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #13
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 21,624
Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
After watching the Auburn game Im not sure McClain would flourish as an OLB. Did anyone else what that game? His best qualities are taylor made for the middle. If the coaches feel Demeco can move outside and still perform then Spikes or McClain would be an awsome addition to this team. If they are reluctant to move Ryans outside then Weatherspoon would be a huge upgrade over Dyles. Actually Weatherspoon is the prototype LB this team lacks if it is truely being built to beat Indy.

To the OP I know you are really high on Hayden but there should be some quality CB's in this draft. Have you seen Bama's Arenas or Trevard Lindley of Kentucky? I would be happy with either of those guys.
At the moment we are #14 and IMO there are 18 guys I would have a hard time passing up.

1 Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska
2 Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
3 Eric Berry FS Tennessee
4 Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma
5 Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
6 Taylor Mays FS Southern California
7 Brian Bulaga OT Iowa
8 Greg Hardy DE Mississippi (if injury checks out)
9 Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State
10 Joe Haden CB Florida
11 Trent Williams OT Oklahoma
12 Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech
13 Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
14 Brandon Spikes LB Florida
15 Rolando McLain LB Alabama
16 Terrence Cody DT Alabama
17 Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech
18 Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri

This group is just to talented to pass up regardless of position IMO. If we could trade down and still get one of these guys thats a different story.

Actually I would like to see us trade a future pick and move up to get a chance to draft a couple of extra second teir guys. Say our 2011 first round pick for a early second and a 3rd. I can actually see this happening if Kubiak survives this year. That would give us 4 picks to on this group.

** I know some of these guys will go in the first.

1 Colt McCoy QB Texas
2 Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
3 Patrick Robinson CB Florida State
4 Marvin Austin DT North Carolina
5 Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma
6 Arthur Jones DT Syracuse
7 Ricky Sapp DE Clemson
8 Jerry Hughes DE Texas Christian
9 Brandon Graham DE Michigan
10 Jahvid Best RB California
11 Sergio Kindle LB Texas
12 C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
13 Jared Odrick DT Penn State
14 Selvish Capers OT West Virginia
15 Corey Wooten DE Northwestern
16 Navorro Bowman LB Penn State
17 Eric Norwood LB South Carolina
18 Ryan Matthews RB Fresno State
19 Von Miller LB Texas A&M
20 Darrell Stuckey FS Kansas
21 Sean Lee LB Penn State
22 Vince Oghobaase DT Duke
23 Sam Young OT Notre Dame
24 Trevard Lyndley CB Kentucky
25 Javier Arenas CB Alabama
26 Brandon Ghee CB Wake Forest
27 Dan Williams DT Tennessee
28 Boo Robinson DT Wake Forest
29 Micah Johnson ILB Kentucky
30 Sergio Render OG Virginia Tech
31 Thomas Austin OG Clemson (can play guard or Center)
As we'll probably go 8-8 next season, I am not sure I would give a another 15-18 pick for a 2nd and 3rd this season. If we draft defense in first round this year and next, we should have a pretty good defense. If not there is always 2011, 2012..
__________________
Buy my 2012 fully loaded Nissan Maxima Sports Edition for balance owed! Very low mileage.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #14
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,707
Rep Power: 58359 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
To be honest I would not touch Brandon Spikes come draft day. I don't like his attitude and I think he's overrated. He is surrounded by some of the best defensive players in the country and I think that covers many of his weaknesses. I won't call him a bust in the making, but I do not want him on the Texans. If we go LB then we could grab Weatherspoon to play WILL. He's a good fit there. Or McClain to play MIKE and we move Demeco to WILL. However, I would prefer if we could get Berry (severely unlikely) or Joe Haden.
I want my MLB and defensive leader to play with fire. I dont know why you think he is overrated. He is the leader of all those "best defensive players in the country". Everytime I watch him he makes plays all over the feild. I think he's going to be a really good pro.

Berry is a dream. He should be one of the highest picked safeties to ever be picked. If we lost the rest of our games we would still have to trade up to get him. Our only chance at him falling is if he gets cought with drugs before the draft. I'll go rock paper scissors with you, looser plants some cocain in his locker. Desperate times call for desperate measures. :
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,707
Rep Power: 58359 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As we'll probably go 8-8 next season, I am not sure I would give a another 15-18 pick for a 2nd and 3rd this season. If we draft defense in first round this year and next, we should have a pretty good defense. If not there is always 2011, 2012..
You're not Kubiak or Smith and on the hot seat. They should both know that if they are still here next year its do or die for them. I would imagine that they will pull out all the stops if thats the case.
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame
 
YoungTexanFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,799
Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

If Haden is gone, Lindley is a very good pick as well. He also makes a lot of plays on the ball. Those guys are simply football players.

I am strongly opposed to drafting Weatherspoon. He plays for the enemy, the slavers. However, that is an entirely personal thing.
__________________
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we had when we created them.
YoungTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #17
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 21,624
Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You're not Kubiak or Smith and on the hot seat. They should both know that if they are still here next year its do or die for them. I would imagine that they will pull out all the stops if thats the case.
Whoops, I forgot to hit the sarcasm key. Thought you'd notice my comment about picking Defense again in '11 & '12. Actually, I think the draft is pretty dep at our needs and would not be against trading a future for solid picks this year.
__________________
Buy my 2012 fully loaded Nissan Maxima Sports Edition for balance owed! Very low mileage.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 21,624
Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
If Haden is gone, Lindley is a very good pick as well. He also makes a lot of plays on the ball. Those guys are simply football players.

I am strongly opposed to drafting Weatherspoon. He plays for the enemy, the slavers. However, that is an entirely personal thing.
Prior to his injury I had him rated fairly high. If Haden is there in first I'd prob choose him to replace DR, but if not I have an OG and RB penciled in for first two rounds. I have Kyle Wilson for my CB in 3rd but may have to do an entire new mock as we keep falling.

11/06/09 - This wasn't how Trevard Lindley's senior season was supposed to go. Lindley bypassed the NFL Draft, where he was projected as a second-round pick, to return to Kentucky in 2009. He received pre-season accolades as an All-Southeastern Conference and All-America candidate. Lindley got off to a nice start with an interception-return touchdown in the season opener against Miami (Ohio). But he suffered a high-ankle sprain in the fourth game against Alabama and has been a spectator ever since. "It's been frustrating," Lindley said. "When they've played away I've had to sit and watch at my house, and when they're home, I'm just there on the sidelines. It's my last year, and I really want to be out there playing. I've just been rehabbing and trying to get better." Lindley will finally get back on the field Saturday against Eastern Kentucky and will be in the starting lineup. While he's not 100 percent, his presence should be a big boost to a defensive unit still smarting from a 31-24 loss to Mississippi State last week. "If he's well it makes a major, major difference in our defense because you usually don't have to worry about the guy he's covering," UK Coach Rich Brooks said. "That makes a pretty significant difference, and if you think back at a few games that we played, it might have made a major difference." Lindley said he really doesn't know what to expect when he gets on the field. "I can't press or do some of the things I did before I got hurt, but I've been slowly trying to get back into it during practice," he said. "We'll just have to see how it goes in the game. It's just a matter of seeing what I can and can't do." - Chip Cosby, Lexington Herald-Leader
__________________
Buy my 2012 fully loaded Nissan Maxima Sports Edition for balance owed! Very low mileage.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame
 
mussop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,707
Rep Power: 58359 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Hypothetical Draft Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Prior to his injury I had him rated fairly high. If Haden is there in first I'd prob choose him to replace DR, but if not I have an OG and RB penciled in for first two rounds. I have Kyle Wilson for my CB in 3rd but may have to do an entire new mock as we keep falling.

11/06/09 - This wasn't how Trevard Lindley's senior season was supposed to go. Lindley bypassed the NFL Draft, where he was projected as a second-round pick, to return to Kentucky in 2009. He received pre-season accolades as an All-Southeastern Conference and All-America candidate. Lindley got off to a nice start with an interception-return touchdown in the season opener against Miami (Ohio). But he suffered a high-ankle sprain in the fourth game against Alabama and has been a spectator ever since. "It's been frustrating," Lindley said. "When they've played away I've had to sit and watch at my house, and when they're home, I'm just there on the sidelines. It's my last year, and I really want to be out there playing. I've just been rehabbing and trying to get better." Lindley will finally get back on the field Saturday against Eastern Kentucky and will be in the starting lineup. While he's not 100 percent, his presence should be a big boost to a defensive unit still smarting from a 31-24 loss to Mississippi State last week. "If he's well it makes a major, major difference in our defense because you usually don't have to worry about the guy he's covering," UK Coach Rich Brooks said. "That makes a pretty significant difference, and if you think back at a few games that we played, it might have made a major difference." Lindley said he really doesn't know what to expect when he gets on the field. "I can't press or do some of the things I did before I got hurt, but I've been slowly trying to get back into it during practice," he said. "We'll just have to see how it goes in the game. It's just a matter of seeing what I can and can't do." - Chip Cosby, Lexington Herald-Leader
There is plenty of game film on Lindley. This wont drop him much if at all. High ankle sprains take along time to heal but it wont seffect him long term.
__________________
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." Albert Einstein
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger