Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-12-2005   #41
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
While I think supply and demand play a significant factor in the draft process...the notion that 3-4 lineman could be found later in the draft was always over played, if not incorrect. IMO, some 4-3 team were drafting guys who would be great in 3-4 along with the history of NE and Pittsburg drafting Dlman in the first round made this theory just that a theory that had little to no basis in practice.
As for Ware and Merriman being drafted in the first round now versus five years ago, I think teams draft their pass rushing skill not 4-3 end versus 3-4 LB. Given that, I think Ware and Merriman would have been drafted in the first like John Abraham, who at 6'4" 250-255 who would 3-4 OLB or Andre Carter, a little heavier, who is now making the conversion from DE to OLB with the 49ers.
I dunno Arlington, none of our current starting downlineman were taken higher
than the 3rd Round but on the other hand I would have to admit they sure done good in FA when it came time to resign - TJ set a precedent there.
And as far as LBs go, I think some have questioned whether Ware would be even adequate size to be a 4-3 end - he might just be a 3rd down player, Merriman is big enough. But Dallas takes Ware 11 overall to play OLB in their 3-4.
But how about this, if Antwaan Peek was just coming out this year, do you really think someone would not grab him before the 3rd round. I mean really, what's the difference between Peek and Ware ?
I really think the rapid increase in pop of the 3-4 has changed the draft value of a lot of these guys.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #42
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I gotta wonder if a Demarcus Ware would have even been taken in the first round 5 years ago ? Its all supply and demand, and the renewed popularfity of the 3-4 is placing new demands on the supply of college talent.
Guys like John Abraham, Julian Peterson, Peter Boulware, Willie McGinest, Andre Bruce, Derrick Thomas, Keith McCants were all high draft picks and played DE in College and have tweener bodytypes. Edge rushers are edge rushers and they always have value.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #43
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134301 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
than the 3rd Round but on the other hand I would have to admit they sure done good in FA when it came time to resign - TJ set a precedent there.
We haven't been drafting for many years either so I don't think you can see a trend in our drafts yet. Pittsburgh and New England have taken several first round DL's and done quite well themselves. I don't know why we would be different.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #44
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And as far as LBs go, I think some have questioned whether Ware would be even adequate size to be a 4-3 end - he might just be a 3rd down player, Merriman is big enough. But Dallas takes Ware 11 overall to play OLB in their 3-4.
But how about this, if Antwaan Peek was just coming out this year, do you really think someone would not grab him before the 3rd round. I mean really, what's the difference between Peek and Ware ?
I really think the rapid increase in pop of the 3-4 has changed the draft value of a lot of these guys.
I believe teams draft skills, not position. Even if a team projects a guy in the same pro position as his college one, there is still a serious adjustment. Ware's passing rushing skills have been stated as special and compared to Derrick thomas and others of that status...Peek was never spoken of in those terms and has done nothing to prove that he is a high end pass rusher in the league.

Actually, I think Peek would have been draft in the 3rd or 4th round, because he has the pass rushing skills are of 3rd or 4th player round player. Remember a 4th tweener Shaun Phillips was drafted in 2004's 4th round and has more sacks that Peek does in two seasons.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #45
Davis37
All Pro

I dont think TJ will ever start this year unless there are injuries on the DL. He will get a good amount of playing time though. He will rotate in with Smith and Walker to keep everyone fresh. He might play a little at NT, but IMO he is undersized for the position at the moment. I think he will win a starter position next season, but will only be a situational player this season. Hopefully when he is in on passing downs, he can bring the pressure we need up the middle and let Babin and Peek grab the sacks when the qb tries to advoid the interior pressure. Im looking forward to see him in action this season!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read