Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-14-2009   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Bye Week Mock Draft-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
" I've changed my stance 360 & agree with rmartin65 Texans need to bulk up @ RB investing a top pick to get the running game jump started. "

Doesn't changing your stance 360 degrees put you right back where you started? aka Anti-RB? How about doing a 180?

Just thinking out loud...

how about 270? after watching Toby dominate USC I'm convinced if the Texans want him they need to use their 1st, so flip RB w/CB maybe Ghee will still be there in the 2nd or Perrish Cox looks pretty good tonight for OSU.

Last edited by beerlover; 11-14-2009 at 09:05 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=PapaL;1300374]" I've changed my stance 360 & agree with rmartin65 Texans need to bulk up @ RB investing a top pick to get the running game jump started. "

Doesn't changing your stance 360 degrees put you right back where you started? aka Anti-RB? How about doing a 180?

Just thinking out loud...[/QUOTE]I try not to do that very often. Thinking can lead to various problems like headaches & thinking aloud can lose you friends who don't really need to know what you are thinking about their girl friends.
Old 11-16-2009   #23
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Still bye week so made some adjustments based off this weekends results both College & NFL.

1) RB, Toby Gerhart, Stanford, 6'1" 240 After watching him play his combination of size, power & athletic ability is a sight to behold, solid kid & big time future on Sundays. Type of big, ball control back elite teams covet to control end of games situations like Colts/Patriots last night. Stanford seems to have a very solid OL, they finish their blocking assingments & proficient in both run blocking/pass protection, if that breaks down they have a big mobile, strong QB Andrew Luck that looks like the second coming of Elway throwing on the run outside the pocket or just taking it for the conversion himself. But here is the deal, everybody knows Toby is going to get the rock & still he drives multiple tacklers backwards for an extra 2-3 yards every carry, those extra yards are key to favorable conversions & time of possession. The last two weeks against top 10 teams he has amassed 401 yds. rushing & 6 TD's & gang tackling aside teams cannot stop him. Given the Texans need to improve their run game, complimenting Steve Slaton & Ryan Moats it's a perfect fit.

2) CB, Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State, 6'0" 195 Very difficult to commit to any one cornerback, just know the Texans will be prepared to take the best one available who fits their system. After watching Perrish shutdown Texas Tech & perform at an elite level, came up on the first series of the game to the line of scrimmage & took out the RB als vintage Dunta Robinson technique, the next play he dove & intercepted an underthrown ball in the endzone. Reminds me of Jarirus Byrd, drafted last year out of Oregon, then drafted in the 2nd rd. by Buffalo now leading the NFL with 8 Int's. Both appear to have the skill set to play both corner or safety have good ball anticipation & tackling ability. Does have better speed so I would expect him to play CB next level but he does give you added versatility.

3) OLB, A.J. Edds, Iowa, 6'4" 244 Changed from J.D. Walton because I expect him to be off the board w/combination of doubt Texans would use consecutive 3rd picks on a C/OG. Edds is no small consolation prize, he is one of the premier cover weakside linebackers in the country & compliments what the Texans currently have. Has excellent range & length to shorten field & throwing windows.

4) TE, Tony Moeaki, Iowa 6'3" 252 Based off feedback & my own feelings that Tony will be a legit NFL TE who fits the slot ala Owen Daniels as well inline blocking ability as well downfield I'm not going to submit waiting til later. Owen will be coming off ACL & has a contract yet to be inked so at this writing alot of things are still in the air. As situation evolves Tony could rise higher on my Texan board, David Thomas drafted out of Texas in 06 in 3rd rd. by New England (Acquired by Saints from New England Patriots in exchange for a 2011 seventh-round draft choice) had 5 receptions.

5) DT, Lamarr Houston, Texas, 6'2" 300+ This is a need pick with a very athletic big body for Texans DT rotation, combination yet to be determined, but folks we need help here. Bush would like to get more athletic up front which is to Lamarr's strength, stout against the run with enough speed to force QB hurries. Has two sacks against Baylor, JD aside not his man, but solid game all around with 5 solo tackles 3 for a loss (-14). Tied for 6th on a dominant Texas defense, 5 sacks for 30 yards loss & 2 fumbles recovered.

6) (aquired via Travis Johnson trade w/San Diego) OG/C, Thomas Austin, Clemson, 6'3" 310 If everything goes according to plan Gibbs should be able to complete his OL before retirement. Another ZBS versatile and dependable interior lineman, filling out depth chart. Continue to address the interior of the Texans OL, remember the Texans traded a 6th for Chris Myers somewhere here in the 5th/6th they should fill this need.

6) DE, Arthur Moats, James Madison, 6'0" 250 Trying to find out if he is related to Ryan? Always looking for Dwight Freeney clone, Moats is leading the team in tackles (83) & sacks (11). has non-stop motor against lesser competition which is reason still on the board but reward worth risk here.

7) K, Leigh Tiffin, Alabama, 6'1" 212 One of the top kickers in the country, really respect Chris & think he's a great guy but when the pressure is on he tends to miss key opportunities that can either win or lose games. He did it in Pittsburgh & now Houston. We'll see some big games coming up for Alabama against Florida & possibly beyond if they win so his mettle will be tested @ the highest level.
Old 11-16-2009   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Still bye week so made some adjustments based off this weekends results both College & NFL.

1) RB, Toby Gerhart, Stanford, 6'1" 240 After watching him play his combination of size, power & athletic ability is a sight to behold, solid kid & big time future on Sundays. Type of big, ball control back elite teams covet to control end of games situations like Colts/Patriots last night. Stanford seems to have a very solid OL, they finish their blocking assingments & proficient in both run blocking/pass protection, if that breaks down they have a big mobile, strong QB Andrew Luck that looks like the second coming of Elway throwing on the run outside the pocket or just taking it for the conversion himself. But here is the deal, everybody knows Toby is going to get the rock & still he drives multiple tacklers backwards for an extra 2-3 yards every carry, those extra yards are key to favorable conversions & time of possession. The last two weeks against top 10 teams he has amassed 401 yds. rushing & 6 TD's & gang tackling aside teams cannot stop him. Given the Texans need to improve their run game, complimenting Steve Slaton & Ryan Moats it's a perfect fit.

2) CB, Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State, 6'0" 195 Very difficult to commit to any one cornerback, just know the Texans will be prepared to take the best one available who fits their system. After watching Perrish shutdown Texas Tech & perform at an elite level, came up on the first series of the game to the line of scrimmage & took out the RB als vintage Dunta Robinson technique, the next play he dove & intercepted an underthrown ball in the endzone. Reminds me of Jarirus Byrd, drafted last year out of Oregon, then drafted in the 2nd rd. by Buffalo now leading the NFL with 8 Int's. Both appear to have the skill set to play both corner or safety have good ball anticipation & tackling ability. Does have better speed so I would expect him to play CB next level but he does give you added versatility.

3) OLB, A.J. Edds, Iowa, 6'4" 244 Changed from J.D. Walton because I expect him to be off the board w/combination of doubt Texans would use consecutive 3rd picks on a C/OG. Edds is no small consolation prize, he is one of the premier cover weakside linebackers in the country & compliments what the Texans currently have. Has excellent range & length to shorten field & throwing windows.

4) TE, Tony Moeaki, Iowa 6'3" 252 Based off feedback & my own feelings that Tony will be a legit NFL TE who fits the slot ala Owen Daniels as well inline blocking ability as well downfield I'm not going to submit waiting til later. Owen will be coming off ACL & has a contract yet to be inked so at this writing alot of things are still in the air. As situation evolves Tony could rise higher on my Texan board, David Thomas drafted out of Texas in 06 in 3rd rd. by New England (Acquired by Saints from New England Patriots in exchange for a 2011 seventh-round draft choice) had 5 receptions.

5) DT, Lamarr Houston, Texas, 6'2" 300+ This is a need pick with a very athletic big body for Texans DT rotation, combination yet to be determined, but folks we need help here. Bush would like to get more athletic up front which is to Lamarr's strength, stout against the run with enough speed to force QB hurries. Has two sacks against Baylor, JD aside not his man, but solid game all around with 5 solo tackles 3 for a loss (-14). Tied for 6th on a dominant Texas defense, 5 sacks for 30 yards loss & 2 fumbles recovered.

6) (aquired via Travis Johnson trade w/San Diego) OG/C, Thomas Austin, Clemson, 6'3" 310 If everything goes according to plan Gibbs should be able to complete his OL before retirement. Another ZBS versatile and dependable interior lineman, filling out depth chart. Continue to address the interior of the Texans OL, remember the Texans traded a 6th for Chris Myers somewhere here in the 5th/6th they should fill this need.

6) DE, Arthur Moats, James Madison, 6'0" 250 Trying to find out if he is related to Ryan? Always looking for Dwight Freeney clone, Moats is leading the team in tackles (83) & sacks (11). has non-stop motor against lesser competition which is reason still on the board but reward worth risk here.

7) K, Leigh Tiffin, Alabama, 6'1" 212 One of the top kickers in the country, really respect Chris & think he's a great guy but when the pressure is on he tends to miss key opportunities that can either win or lose games. He did it in Pittsburgh & now Houston. We'll see some big games coming up for Alabama against Florida & possibly beyond if they win so his mettle will be tested @ the highest level.
Good job & I'd be very satisfied, but.. still don't see Smithiac drafting a back especially this type in first round. As I posted somewhere last week, Two guys at Walters have Texans taking Jonathan Dwyer in first. I really hope I'm surprised. I like Cox and mentioned him to a visitor from another team about 3 weeks ago. Don't think he will be avail in 2nd for us. I am looking at # 24 for now.

3rd OLB? Not for me thanks. We are set there with three starters and a good back up in Bentley. You can get a good OLB in 6th. Can we do better than DIles? SUre but use the pick better elsewhere. Need to address free safety. I am ok with your DT in 5th but I have Neal from Purdue in 4th. 6'4"302 4.96.

4th I am not going TE here either. Unless Dreesen blows it over the rest of season, I will go with what we have + WRs such as JJ and Walters getting more.

5. I have Austin here and good chance he might be gone. If it goes your way, let's celebrate. He will be an awesome addition similar to Caldwell. He plays all OLine spots too.
Old 11-16-2009   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Good job & I'd be very satisfied, but.. still don't see Smithiac drafting a back especially this type in first round. As I posted somewhere last week, Two guys at Walters have Texans taking Jonathan Dwyer in first. I really hope I'm surprised. I like Cox and mentioned him to a visitor from another team about 3 weeks ago. Don't think he will be avail in 2nd for us. I am looking at # 24 for now.

3rd OLB? Not for me thanks. We are set there with three starters and a good back up in Bentley. You can get a good OLB in 6th. Can we do better than DIles? SUre but use the pick better elsewhere. Need to address free safety. I am ok with your DT in 5th but I have Neal from Purdue in 4th. 6'4"302 4.96.

4th I am not going TE here either. Unless Dreesen blows it over the rest of season, I will go with what we have + WRs such as JJ and Walters getting more.

5. I have Austin here and good chance he might be gone. If it goes your way, let's celebrate. He will be an awesome addition similar to Caldwell. He plays all OLine spots too.
solid feeback, thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOCKIwYzkV0
Old 11-16-2009   #26
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This draft has the rmartin65 seal of approval

1) Keep preaching the Gerhart pick. People will come around.

2) Cox is a good pick, a corner should be the pick. Cox has return value as well.

3) I like Edds, and it would set the LB core up spectacularly. But it is not a need. I would be ok with the pick, but I would prefer OL depth.

4) I feel the same way about Moeki as I did with Edds. Good pick, but not exactly a need. This changes if OD is not re-signed.

5) I like this pick, DT depth is necessary.

6) Good pick, if he is still there.

6) I could go with this pick. I have another small school end on my radar, but Moats is a worthy project.

7) I dont know about the kicker. I know Brown missed that FG, but he has been fairly consistent.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Do either of you think Thomas Austin is going that low? I have in 5th now and I think that is probably too low. Hope I'm wrong. I think guards will not have the priority this year and that helps us.
Old 11-16-2009   #28
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do either of you think Thomas Austin is going that low? I have in 5th now and I think that is probably too low. Hope I'm wrong. I think guards will not have the priority this year and that helps us.
I dont think that he will, but Guards drop in the draft. I consider this plausible, but unlikely. That is why I am down with the pick and did not make a big deal about it.
Old 11-24-2009   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:

bump -

what we learned tonight against the Titans-
  1. Need a possession back who can also score in the red zone - Toby meets this need
  2. Dunta is playing his last games as a Texan, the second offer if there is one will be much less than the first one - Cox addresses the next most important need
  3. Cushing is a standout SAM we need to bookend him with a standout WIL - Edds is standout in coverage
  4. Without Owens this offense looks lost, maybe its just Schaub, we need Owens or another TE like him, while I like Casey he is still rough & will the Texans pony up & pay Owen coming off ACL?
  5. Instead of spending high picks on the DL lets approach it bottom up & take someone with the talent who is hungry to earn a big contract - Lamarr has been really looking good as of late, not sure he'll still be here but if he is would be excellent pick
  6. Interior Line play is less than good, from penaltys, to allowing too many sacks & inability to create running lanes, another OG needs to be added & sooner rather than later - Thomas Austin is a beast, for a later rd. pick another excellent value.
  7. Pass Rush. Did the Texans have ONE against Tennessee? Again go with a later round pick, take someone on the way up from a smaller school with everything to prove, after 8 years of little to nothing at some point the Texans have got to get lucky - Moats is a bluecollar, high motor kid who competes & produces sacks & TFL's
  8. Sorry but that's end of the line for Chris here as a Texan, two games in a row unable to connect on game ending FG's. Texans need to be accountable & show they are willing to take corrective action - Tiffen is ranked #2 in the country w/25 FG made, 4-5 form 40-49 yards & 1-1 50+
Old 11-24-2009   #30
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
bump -

what we learned tonight against the Titans-
  1. Need a possession back who can also score in the red zone - Toby meets this need
  2. Dunta is playing his last games as a Texan, the second offer if there is one will be much less than the first one - Cox addresses the next most important need
  3. Cushing is a standout SAM we need to bookend him with a standout WIL - Edds is standout in coverage
  4. Without Owens this offense looks lost, maybe its just Schaub, we need Owens or another TE like him, while I like Casey he is still rough & will the Texans pony up & pay Owen coming off ACL?
  5. Instead of spending high picks on the DL lets approach it bottom up & take someone with the talent who is hungry to earn a big contract - Lamarr has been really looking good as of late, not sure he'll still be here but if he is would be excellent pick
  6. Interior Line play is less than good, from penaltys, to allowing too many sacks & inability to create running lanes, another OG needs to be added & sooner rather than later - Thomas Austin is a beast, for a later rd. pick another excellent value.
  7. Pass Rush. Did the Texans have ONE against Tennessee? Again go with a later round pick, take someone on the way up from a smaller school with everything to prove, after 8 years of little to nothing at some point the Texans have got to get lucky - Moats is a bluecollar, high motor kid who competes & produces sacks & TFL's
  8. Sorry but that's end of the line for Chris here as a Texan, two games in a row unable to connect on game ending FG's. Texans need to be accountable & show they are willing to take corrective action - Tiffen is ranked #2 in the country w/25 FG made, 4-5 form 40-49 yards & 1-1 50+
I think Houston will light it up at the Combine and I think the Texans could snag Graham Gano as a kicker(he must hate the UFL).
Old 11-24-2009   #31
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

When the dust settles I think Lamarr Houston will be a third round pick. This is only his second year as a DT so he still has room to grow.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009   #32
rmartin65
I'm Score

After seeing KB miss another one to send the game into overtime, I am on the draft a kicker bandwagon as well. Or sign one. Jesus Christ, just get rid of Brown. I dont even want to see him in a Texans uniform next year. I turned off the TV last night when I saw him walk out onto the field. I knew he would miss. I turned off the TV and went to bed. And behold, I woke up this morning, watched Sportscenter, and he missed.

Get a new damn kicker!
Old 11-24-2009   #33
beerlover
Site Contributor

Should add: it's wait & see mode in regards to Kubiak/Rick Smith future & how this impacts the draft. Also I expected to have a much higher pick slot instead it looks like we're stuck again @ #15
Old 11-28-2009   #34
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just can't jump on board with a first round RB. We need defensive help. I've seen Cox play a good handful of times, and he's boom or bust. Most of my friends at OSU don't like him. I don't grade him in the second round either way. Houston is going to jump. I think 3rd round is probably solid. I've seen him play in person a few times and I've seen UT on film plenty. I'm impressed with him. I'm not impressed with Kindle. I don't think Kindle is a first round talent. I'm all for taking a kicker.

My favorite player in the entire draft is McClain from Bama. I would move DeMeco in a heartbeat for this kid, or put this kid at the WILL. I don't care. I would take this guy regardless of anything. I'm calling him the DROY already.
Old 11-28-2009   #35
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

double post.
Old 12-01-2009   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Should add: it's wait & see mode in regards to Kubiak/Rick Smith future & how this impacts the draft. Also I expected to have a much higher pick slot instead it looks like we're stuck again @ #15
I have dropped us from # 22 to #15 also after last two humiliations. Man, vacation last week was a bummer with 2 losses in one week.
Old 12-02-2009   #37
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I just can't jump on board with a first round RB. We need defensive help. I've seen Cox play a good handful of times, and he's boom or bust. Most of my friends at OSU don't like him. I don't grade him in the second round either way. Houston is going to jump. I think 3rd round is probably solid. I've seen him play in person a few times and I've seen UT on film plenty. I'm impressed with him. I'm not impressed with Kindle. I don't think Kindle is a first round talent. I'm all for taking a kicker.

My favorite player in the entire draft is McClain from Bama. I would move DeMeco in a heartbeat for this kid, or put this kid at the WILL. I don't care. I would take this guy regardless of anything. I'm calling him the DROY already.
Agreed. My favorite players in this draft are Eric Berry and Earl Thomas (if he comes out) then McClain. He is an absolute beast. He lines everybody up on defense and makes all the calls (very impressive for a college LB to be able to do this in Nick Saban's scheme). He also makes all the calls on the fly after the offense makes adjustments to their alignment.

He is the #1 reason that Alabama defense has been stellar the past two seasons. Terrence Cody has had a minimal impact compared to this guy.

However, he is a MLB pure and simple. I wouldn't mind moving Demeco outside to WILL though and placing McClain at MLB. With Cushing at SAM we would have one of the NFL's best LB cores in a matter of years. Kid is a flat out player.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Agreed. My favorite players in this draft are Eric Berry and Earl Thomas (if he comes out) then McClain. He is an absolute beast. He lines everybody up on defense and makes all the calls (very impressive for a college LB to be able to do this in Nick Saban's scheme). He also makes all the calls on the fly after the offense makes adjustments to their alignment.

He is the #1 reason that Alabama defense has been stellar the past two seasons. Terrence Cody has had a minimal impact compared to this guy.

However, he is a MLB pure and simple. I wouldn't mind moving Demeco outside to WILL though and placing McClain at MLB. With Cushing at SAM we would have one of the NFL's best LB cores in a matter of years. Kid is a flat out player.
Would you be ok with Reeves on one side and Quin on other with FS Thomas on Quin's side? I think DR is out of here.
Old 12-02-2009   #39
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would you be ok with Reeves on one side and Quin on other with FS Thomas on Quin's side? I think DR is out of here.
Reeves is a very underrated CB. He has very good coverage skills, but terrible ball skills. Quin has been very impressive early on. Preferably we would take Joe Haden and Reeves would play in the nickel where his skills are more utilized. Either way if we could get either Haden, McClain, or Thomas (heard he's not coming out though) then I would be happy.

With Haden we get a lockdown CB, but ignore our need at Safety.

With McClain we ignore our needs in the secondary, but begin to create the best LB core in the league with Cushing, Ryans, & McClain.

With Thomas we suddenly have 2 very good safeties with him and Pollard, but we ignore our need at CB.

However, any of these scenarios instantly improves our defense and I'm a defensive guy so I love that.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Reeves is a very underrated CB. He has very good coverage skills, but terrible ball skills. Quin has been very impressive early on. Preferably we would take Joe Haden and Reeves would play in the nickel where his skills are more utilized. Either way if we could get either Haden, McClain, or Thomas (heard he's not coming out though) then I would be happy.

With Haden we get a lockdown CB, but ignore our need at Safety.

With McClain we ignore our needs in the secondary, but begin to create the best LB core in the league with Cushing, Ryans, & McClain.

With Thomas we suddenly have 2 very good safeties with him and Pollard, but we ignore our need at CB.

However, any of these scenarios instantly improves our defense and I'm a defensive guy so I love that.
If we draft around #15 we should be able to get a CB, FS OG and Center as all but Guard are fairly deep. I want a power back and there are not many of them.

Haden CB; Gerhart RB;Mike Johnson OG;Mike Neal DT; Thomas Austin C; Robert Johnson FS/CB (Utah) and Tyler Sash SS covers my needs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read