Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-11-2009   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Beerlover Bye Week Mock Draft-

1) CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest, 6'0" 190 Been infatuated with this Demon Deacon defense the past two years & have wished for a significant addition off it & on the Texans so by process of elimination Ghee is it. One thing of note watching Wake is they're taught to create turnovers, this may be the reason why he is such a hitting machine, ala Bernard Pollard this makes the Texans secondary more formidable.

2) RB Toby Gerhart, Stanford, 6'1" 240 After watching him play his combination of size, power & athletic ability is a sight to behold, solid kid & big time future on Sundays. I've changed my stance 360 & agree with rmartin65 Texans need to bulk up @ RB investing a top pick to get the running game jump started.

3) OC J.D. Walton, Baylor, 6'3" 305 He is Center specific, meaning if drafted that is where he is going to play moving Myers to bench. mauler like Studdard, has leadership intangible to step up & make the offensive line calls, tough, intelligent, durable pivot man Gibbs likes.

4) DT Lamarr Houston, Texas, 6'2" 300+ This is a need pick with a very athletic big body for Texans DT rotation, combination yet to be determined, but folks we need help here. Bush would like to get more athletic up front which is to Lamarr's strength, stout against the run with enough speed to force QB hurries.

5) SS/FS Barry Church, Toledo, 6'1" 219 Another strong tackler, can move to the ball in a hurry, has nose for the ball & also forces turnovers, fits Texans aggressive cover skills & strong in run support. I would see him as Pollards back-up adding much needed depth & special teams play as he develops.

6) (aquired via Travis Johnson) TE Tony Moeaki, Iowa 6'3" 252 A threat in passing game, excellent hands/routes with + blocking game. Will Texans come to an agreement with Owen Daniels agent? have no idea coming into labor negoiations (I'm thinking Texans are waiting to see what happens before resiging these key players). regardless this is not a throw away pick, in fact I expect him to be gone in the 4th rd. but this kid will be a player in the NFL for sure.

6) OLB Keenan Clayton, Oklahoma 6'1" 221 Should compete hard in camp for a roster spot. Combine numbers should post better than expected measureables, his ability to cover & force break-ups is on the rise for a reason. An example of a safety who grew into a LB so his ability to cover is better than most linebackers.

7) OG/C Andrew Lewis, Oklahoma State 6'4" 292 Can fill both Guard & Center positions that proverbial versatility. Depth/Need. practice squad possibly, very durable & fits ZBS.

This draft is defense heavy but should give Bush the tools to finish the job.

beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Bye Week Mock Draft-

I can drink to this. Don't know much about your Toledo guy at FS but Wilson has that position for now so...

Gerhart I really like but am hoping he is there in third. I see this draft as being defensive oriented and deep so maybe he gets pushed down. I think that flavor of the month is the smaller back such as Slaton and Dwyer and Dixon and there is another I can't think of may push Toby down. At least I hope 'cause I don't see Smith drafting a back in 1st or 2nd.
Old 11-12-2009   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I can drink to this. Don't know much about your Toledo guy at FS but Wilson has that position for now so...

Gerhart I really like but am hoping he is there in third. I see this draft as being defensive oriented and deep so maybe he gets pushed down. I think that flavor of the month is the smaller back such as Slaton and Dwyer and Dixon and there is another I can't think of may push Toby down. At least I hope 'cause I don't see Smith drafting a back in 1st or 2nd.
I think Gerhart may be there in the third and maybe the fourth. Speed is the flavor of the decade and lack of it will push him down.
Old 11-12-2009   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think Gerhart may be there in the third and maybe the fourth. Speed is the flavor of the decade and lack of it will push him down.
I truly hope you are correct as Smithiac may then use a 3rd or 4th on a power back. They never have before.
Old 11-12-2009   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
1) CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest, 6'0" 190 Been infatuated with this Demon Deacon defense the past two years & have wished for a significant addition off it & on the Texans so by process of elimination Ghee is it. One thing of note watching Wake is they're taught to create turnovers, this may be the reason why he is such a hitting machine, ala Bernard Pollard this makes the Texans secondary more formidable.

2) RB Toby Gerhart, Stanford, 6'1" 240 After watching him play his combination of size, power & athletic ability is a sight to behold, solid kid & big time future on Sundays. I've changed my stance 360 & agree with rmartin65 Texans need to bulk up @ RB investing a top pick to get the running game jump started.

3) OC J.D. Walton, Baylor, 6'3" 305 He is Center specific, meaning if drafted that is where he is going to play moving Myers to bench. mauler like Studdard, has leadership intangible to step up & make the offensive line calls, tough, intelligent, durable pivot man Gibbs likes.

4) DT Lamarr Houston, Texas, 6'2" 300+ This is a need pick with a very athletic big body for Texans DT rotation, combination yet to be determined, but folks we need help here. Bush would like to get more athletic up front which is to Lamarr's strength, stout against the run with enough speed to force QB hurries.

5) SS/FS Barry Church, Toledo, 6'1" 219 Another strong tackler, can move to the ball in a hurry, has nose for the ball & also forces turnovers, fits Texans aggressive cover skills & strong in run support. I would see him as Pollards back-up adding much needed depth & special teams play as he develops.

6) (aquired via Travis Johnson) TE Tony Moeaki, Iowa 6'3" 252 A threat in passing game, excellent hands/routes with + blocking game. Will Texans come to an agreement with Owen Daniels agent? have no idea coming into labor negoiations (I'm thinking Texans are waiting to see what happens before resiging these key players). regardless this is not a throw away pick, in fact I expect him to be gone in the 4th rd. but this kid will be a player in the NFL for sure.

6) OLB Keenan Clayton, Oklahoma 6'1" 221 Should compete hard in camp for a roster spot. Combine numbers should post better than expected measureables, his ability to cover & force break-ups is on the rise for a reason. An example of a safety who grew into a LB so his ability to cover is better than most linebackers.

7) OG/C Andrew Lewis, Oklahoma State 6'4" 292 Can fill both Guard & Center positions that proverbial versatility. Depth/Need. practice squad possibly, very durable & fits ZBS.

This draft is defense heavy but should give Bush the tools to finish the job.

Good draft!
Here are my critiques:

1) I dont know much about Ghee, but I will trust you on this one. I like my hard hitting corners, as long he is at least a decent cover guy, I feel good about this pick.

2) Gerhart-Excellent choice, enough said.

3) Walton- Good choice

4) I like the picking of a DT here, I just dont know which one to pick. I admit to not watching Texas too much (only watched the RRS) but Texas normally churns out some decent players.

5) I like a safety here, but you got the wrong guy. I am in no way a Notre Dame fan, but McCarthy changes games. He is clutch, and great on special teams.

6) I would say only a TE if OD is not re-signed. Moeaki is a good choice, as is the Illinois one. If OD is in fact re-signed, I would look for some OL depth.

6) Oklahoma OLB, good pick. Will play on special teams, no complaints here.

7) Eh, 7th rounder. I am fine with this pick, I cant really make up my mind on who I want. I am always down with OL depth.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009   #6
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I am sorry guys, but I just can't see anything past a late second for Gerhart. The man takes over games. I have seen a couple games of his, and in every one he has impressed. I posted this article in another thread, but its worth a look: http://www.stanforddaily.com/cgi-bin/?p=1035761

The stat break down is especially impressive.
Old 11-12-2009   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the Stanford back, but I dunno if he's a 2nd round value and I'd doubt
Kubiak wouldn't pay that price for a running back anyway, especially one who might end up playing baseball instead of football.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2009   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ghee as a first rounder? I haven't been doing a lot of reading on players this year but just from watching WF over the years, Ghee doesn't come across as a first rounder.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Ghee as a first rounder? I haven't been doing a lot of reading on players this year but just from watching WF over the years, Ghee doesn't come across as a first rounder.
interesting that Wake plays FSU this weekend

like his size, athletic ability, aggressive physical game, they say he compares to Vontae Davis taken in 09 (1st rd.) out of Illinois but reminds me more of Aqib Talib taken 08 (1st rd.) out of Kansas. I feel the Texans will be too tempted if one of the elite corners are still available & lately he has been flashing his NFL skill set focusing more on break-ups in one on one coverage.
Old 11-13-2009   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

like his size, athletic ability, aggressive physical game, they say he compares to Vontae Davis taken in 09 (1st rd.) out of Illinois but reminds me more of Aqib Talib taken 08 (1st rd.) out of Kansas. I feel the Texans will be too tempted if one of the elite corners are still available & lately he has been flashing his NFL skill set focusing more on break-ups in one on one coverage.
He's been a good playeer for awhile, maybe I'm just showing my lack of research this year. He could very well be a first rounder.

We (FSU) have a freshman QB playing for the rest of the year because Ponder is having shoulder surgery.
Old 11-13-2009   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Good draft!
Here are my critiques:

1) I dont know much about Ghee, but I will trust you on this one. I like my hard hitting corners, as long he is at least a decent cover guy, I feel good about this pick.

2) Gerhart-Excellent choice, enough said.

3) Walton- Good choice

4) I like the picking of a DT here, I just dont know which one to pick. I admit to not watching Texas too much (only watched the RRS) but Texas normally churns out some decent players.

5) I like a safety here, but you got the wrong guy. I am in no way a Notre Dame fan, but McCarthy changes games. He is clutch, and great on special teams.

6) I would say only a TE if OD is not re-signed. Moeaki is a good choice, as is the Illinois one. If OD is in fact re-signed, I would look for some OL depth.

6) Oklahoma OLB, good pick. Will play on special teams, no complaints here.

7) Eh, 7th rounder. I am fine with this pick, I cant really make up my mind on who I want. I am always down with OL depth.
Ghee is a strong candidate. 6' 190 and a true corner with 4.45 speed with a low of 4.34. He did exceprionally well against Georgia Tech recently. See link
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=CB

I am looking at Mike Neal Purdue DT on my latest mock re-incarnation at round 4. Very strong guy with 5 QB sacks so far with 4.92 speed.
Old 11-13-2009   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
I am sorry guys, but I just can't see anything past a late second for Gerhart. The man takes over games. I have seen a couple games of his, and in every one he has impressed. I posted this article in another thread, but its worth a look: http://www.stanforddaily.com/cgi-bin/?p=1035761

The stat break down is especially impressive.
RMARTIN65 GOOGLE running back Johnathan Dwyer and compare stats to Toby. The Georgia Tech guy had almost the same article written about him. 6'1" 235 (sound familiar?). 2008 Dwyer rushed for 1395 and averaged 7.5. As of Nov 12th he has gained 1093 @ 6.5 yds per carry. He is reported as "excellent" on play actions (Schaub anyone?) where he does not get the ball but usually draws the defense with him.
Old 11-13-2009   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
RMARTIN65 GOOGLE running back Johnathan Dwyer and compare stats to Toby. The Georgia Tech guy had almost the same article written about him. 6'1" 235 (sound familiar?). 2008 Dwyer rushed for 1395 and averaged 7.5. As of Nov 12th he has gained 1093 @ 6.5 yds per carry. He is reported as "excellent" on play actions (Schaub anyone?) where he does not get the ball but usually draws the defense with him.
Well Dwyer plays fullback in the triple option at Georgia Tech. The QB either gives him the ball up the gut, runs a QB follow, or continues the option with a pitch man available. Generally they don't run a playaction, they rarely throw the ball period.

I love Dwyer as a prospect but it is hard to compare his statistics to other RBs because Ga Tech's scheme is so different than what most other teams are doing.
Old 11-13-2009   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

No way Moeaki lasts until the 6th round. The only way he can be shutdown is if a crappy backup freshmen QB is in the game!!!
Old 11-13-2009   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
No way Moeaki lasts until the 6th round. The only way he can be shutdown is if a crappy backup freshmen QB is in the game!!!
this is a steal & reason why I put in the disclaimer, "in fact I expect him to be gone in the 4th rd." I was suprised current rankings of eligible College prospects had him listed 5th-6th rd. so had to jump all over it. they key to this pick is what the Texans wind up receiving in exchange for Travis Johnson? I beleive Rick got an escalator clause that would bump him up to the 5th rd. (helps he starts this weekend) so I just wanted to make damn sure the Texans get someone in return to show for it. This pick is also dependant on Owen Daniels contract/rehab. If for whatever reason Daniels is no longer a Texan (sad day indeed) the Texans will have to address this most likely even after drafting two last year, in the draft. Then I would move him up to the 4th because there would be more sense of urgency.
Old 11-14-2009   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
really, no WAY it doesn't happen? every year there are dozens of guys who slip into the later rounds and dozens who get drafted way too "early." it's very possible for a 4th rounder to slip to the 6th.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #17
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
I actually have watched alot of Georgia Tech, and he is a good back. If you look at the 2010 Runningbacks thread, I have him rated above Gerhart. I think that he is not as physical though, and benefits from the triple option that is ran there.
Old 11-14-2009   #18
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I like Ghee, but I have not seen him mention as a 1st rounder yet. Seeing him going in the 3rd more often than any other round. Until he runs, I would have to call him a reach in the 1st.

Also I am looking for play makers, and Ghee has only one INT in his career. A little lower than a guy with his speed should have.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

" I've changed my stance 360 & agree with rmartin65 Texans need to bulk up @ RB investing a top pick to get the running game jump started. "

Doesn't changing your stance 360 degrees put you right back where you started? aka Anti-RB? How about doing a 180?

Just thinking out loud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009   #20
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
" I've changed my stance 360 & agree with rmartin65 Texans need to bulk up @ RB investing a top pick to get the running game jump started. "

Doesn't changing your stance 360 degrees put you right back where you started? aka Anti-RB? How about doing a 180?

Just thinking out loud...
I think he was making fun of Jason Kidd...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read