Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 10-27-2009   #21
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Block Access to Cell Phone Carriers Other Than Verizon

OK - here's an option. Jamming is illegal. Blocking a signal is legal. You can build structures materials that block the signal passively. Then you provide a path in (antennas and wires) for the provider you want. Slick.

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/413500.html
Old 10-27-2009   #22
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
OK - here's an option. Jamming is illegal. Blocking a signal is legal. You can build structures materials that block the signal passively. Then you provide a path in (antennas and wires) for the provider you want. Slick.

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/413500.html
Interesting. So selectively allowing one carrier to work in the building and not others wouldn't constitute interference?
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #23
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9715 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly do not see how this is promoting using Verizon. All it makes me want to do is avoid them. I won't give them my personal or business patronage after reading (and experiencing) this shit. Honestly all this does is piss me off and make me hate them. As if we don't already pay enough to even go to the game and support our team, now we have to get McNair's corporate sponsor for our every day cell usage as well, just so we can experience what every other Houstonian in the city with any provider they choose can? Really? Jeebus this burns my ass.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #24
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate the signal in Reliant.

I always want to text people about the game or meet up with people and it is always so difficult.

Create a solution Texans not build on the problem!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #25
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting. Cell phone jamming is apparently illegal, although it isn't enforced. There is also some question to what cell phone jamming is. If you block 3G access but allow voice, is the phone jammed?

So: are they or aren't they?

I haven't found much specific info on the web yet.
There is a neighborhood in San Antinio that is jammed by the military and the people have to use landlines for all calls.
Old 10-27-2009   #26
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Interesting. Cell phone jamming is apparently illegal, although it isn't enforced. There is also some question to what cell phone jamming is. If you block 3G access but allow voice, is the phone jammed?

So: are they or aren't they?

I haven't found much specific info on the web yet.
freaking double post

Last edited by LonerATO; 10-28-2009 at 12:02 AM.
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It may not be actual blocking. It may be that the only company allowed to put a relay tower within the stadium is Verizon. In a virtually enclosed tall metal and concrete structure, that could easily explain why owners of other carrier cell phones have varying degree though across the board poor or nonexistent service (but decent outside perimeter of the stadium reception).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #28
Lauren
Nom Nom Nom

Rep Power: 42349 Lauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respected

I have NEVER been able to get any sort of AT&T service in or around Reliant. No texts, no calls, no 3G...nothin'. So frustrating.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #29
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling that this is something new because I know that I have used my AT&T phone at Reliant in previous years. However, this year, I haven't been able to get any service. I switched phones this year, but not providers.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #30
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

I've had T-Mobile since before 2002. I've never been able to get service inside the stadium. It really sucks. :/
Old 10-28-2009   #31
Lauren
Nom Nom Nom

Rep Power: 42349 Lauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respectedLauren is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I have a feeling that this is something new because I know that I have used my AT&T phone at Reliant in previous years. However, this year, I haven't been able to get any service. I switched phones this year, but not providers.
Maybe I just had a crappy phone in years past. That's a possibility.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

perhaps the local hub is just maxed out with so many people using their phones at the same time in the same area?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #33
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

I have had issues with AT&T there since I switched to the iPhone, but that is my own fault being an Apple guy since the IIe.
Old 10-28-2009   #34
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
perhaps the local hub is just maxed out with so many people using their phones at the same time in the same area?
It stopped at 11:50 when I entered the stadium and started when I walked out after the game. The load wasn't that different.

============

I have a neighbor who is a telecom exec. I'll ask him. I should have thought of that last night.
Old 10-28-2009   #35
Dr2bKay
All Pro

Section: 116 Bull Pen Baby
Rep Power: 379 Dr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respectedDr2bKay is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren View Post
I have NEVER been able to get any sort of AT&T service in or around Reliant. No texts, no calls, no 3G...nothin'. So frustrating.
Hmmm. I am always able to use my At&t phone in Reliant for calls, text, and internet. Now when I try to send mms it takes longer.
Dr2bKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #36
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 203861 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Did some deep digging. This is the system installed at Reliant.

Quote:
The Alltel Stadium, located in Jacksonville Florida and home to the Jacksonville Jaguars , is considered one of the most modern and best-equipped in the world. The stadium is the latest in hundreds of structures in which MobileAccess has successfully installed in-building wireless networks. In addition to the Alltel venue, over the past year Mobile Access has installed a similar network at the Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas.

Quote:
She explained that the MobileAccess broadband network supports both wireless voice and data applications. Instead of installing WiFi access points in drop ceilings, MobileAccess clusters them in telecommunications closets and amplifies the signal, sending it out to passive antennas that radiate the signal throughout a building. "The same effective power, and therefore bandwidth, that existed when the access point was in the ceiling now exists where the antennas are," she told the Post.

The MobileAccess service is modular, so companies can add or subtract features as their needs dictate. "We've found that one of the major factors in evaluating this type of equipment, and where we think we're uniquely positioned, is [companies] want to make sure that not only the cellular, but also the WiFi and WiMax applications that may become available, can be added to the system," she said.

This modular system is obviously very "versatile" and open to easy manipulation.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read