Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk" Rival fans & lighthearted smack talk. Keep it light and leave the mean spirited stuff at home please.

Old 10-27-2009   #41
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36121 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This week's least surprising news - Bud name Vince Starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
I know. Most people are like you. I always get the exasperated WHY!? They're from Texas too!
I would probably have hatred for them if they were from the AFC, but I just can't hate a team that's from the NFC. Any team Houston plays once every four years I simply can't hate. I simply just don't care about the Cowboys enough to hate them.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #42
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 92090 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

VY's the best QB of all time
Old 10-27-2009   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was still a good question. You learned something about me, yanking or not.
So the question is: would you root for the Cowboys if they were playing the Jaguars this week?
Old 10-27-2009   #44
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If ANY QB with talent adhered to that criterion, they'd all be probowlers.
There are quite a few NFL quarterbacks with talent that adhere to that criterion, but only the best two out of that group from each conference get to go. If Vince Young were to apply himself, he could still turn out to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #45
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
So the question is: would you root for the Cowboys if they were playing the Jaguars this week?
Why you little shi...

Dammit... Yeah I would.
Old 10-27-2009   #46
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
There are quite a few NFL quarterbacks with talent that adhere to that criterion, but only the best two out of that group from each conference get to go. If Vince Young were to apply himself, he could still turn out to be one of the best quarterbacks in the league.
The point was that your criterion was quite broad. It applies to any NFL QB.
Old 10-27-2009   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Respectfully agree to disagree about VY, Mojo. The dude can't read defenses and has horrible passing accuracy, which are two basics for being a great QB. I'm not sure how much of that can be developed at the pro level, since most of the greats already have those abilities upon being drafted and just refine them as pros.

If anything, I think VY could be a Trent Dilfer-esque QB (i.e. game manager, except with running ability) with all of the applicable hard work, film study, and dedication that the position requires. At this point, there is a big question mark if he even has the heart to make that kind of long-term commitment.
Old 10-27-2009   #48
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Respectfully agree to disagree about VY, Mojo. The dude can't read defenses and has horrible passing accuracy, which are two basics for being a great QB. I'm not sure how much of that can be developed at the pro level, since most of the greats already have those abilities upon being drafted and just refine them as pros.

If anything, I think VY could be a Trent Dilfer-esque QB (i.e. game manager, except with running ability) with all of the applicable hard work, film study, and dedication that the position requires. At this point, there is a big question mark if he even has the heart to make that kind of long-term commitment.
I know I am stepping out there with this one. Perhaps it will never happen. It is not inevitable by any means. But I remember watching him throw the ball in college, and his accuracy was excellent. In fact, he finished his senior season with the #3 passer rating in the NCAA. And he had been #1 for most of the later part of the season - he just fell a couple spots after the last game.

Vince can throw accurately, but your point about his having trouble reading defenses is well taken. As far as I can see, he seems to have the intellectual capacity to learn this if he will work at it. But he has not demonstrated that level of determination so far.

However, it is amazing what a season or two on the bench can do for your ability to focus. Just think about Alex Smith this last weekend. He had been benched, and there was even talk during camp about him getting cut, but when he finally got his shot against the Texans, he made the most of it. I will not be surprised at all if Vince Young does the same thing.

But then again, I would not be willing to bet money on it happening either.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #49
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I know I am stepping out there with this one. Perhaps it will never happen. It is not inevitable by any means. But I remember watching him throw the ball in college, and his accuracy was excellent. In fact, he finished his senior season with the #3 passer rating in the NCAA. And he had been #1 for most of the later part of the season - he just fell a couple spots after the last game.
That's your issue, right there. QB in the NFL is 90% between the ears and who's surrounding you. Even QBs that are very low on the physical scale can have success in the NFL if they have it together upstairs (see Chad Pennington). It's only about 10% physical, if that, when you consider that every other NFL QB can do most of the same things you can, physically. The divide is not so great in the NFL as it is in college. VY will never be a great NFL QB. He just doesn't have what it takes.

And I hope the Tacks waste this year not realizing that, and then start him next year.
Old 10-27-2009   #50
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:

Vince can throw accurately, but your point about his having trouble reading defenses is well taken. As far as I can see, he seems to have the intellectual capacity to learn this if he will work at it. But he has not demonstrated that level of determination so far.

However, it is amazing what a season or two on the bench can do for your ability to focus. Just think about Alex Smith this last weekend. He had been benched, and there was even talk during camp about him getting cut, but when he finally got his shot against the Texans, he made the most of it. I will not be surprised at all if Vince Young does the same thing.

But then again, I would not be willing to bet money on it happening either.
Young had a phenomenal college career, and he deserves all the props he gets for what he accomplished. And from that perspective, I can certainly see why the hype existed and why so many were sold on the guy.

With regards to his accuracy, I attribute it to two things: consistently great pass protection and inferior coverage. He gets neither in the NFL on a consistent basis, so his tendency has been to run instead of developing his pocket presence.

But I never say never (unless it's rooting for the Titans, of course), so you could be right that he has matured on the bench and used his time off wisely to fine tune and develops the skills he will need to be a solid NFL QB. Time will tell, because we will see him in action soon.
Old 10-27-2009   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Realistically it is smart to play Young now. If there wasn't so much money in him you could just bury him on the bench, but when you are o-fer more than a quarter of the way though the season you gotta see exactly what you have before you have to deal with his salary bonus next year (to cut, or not to cut....that is the question). If I were the Texans I'd turn him into Danny Davis and run the Veer (may as well, they can't pass anyway). Bill Yeoman would be proud.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #52
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With regards to his accuracy, I attribute it to two things: consistently great pass protection and inferior coverage. He gets neither in the NFL on a consistent basis, so his tendency has been to run instead of developing his pocket presence.
Three things - he also pumped his completion percentage by dumping to backs and especially TE's a lot. His accuracy was bad past 20 yards even when his completion % was 70%. Then you factor in better coverage as you have noted in the NFL and well you get to sit on the bench.
Old 10-27-2009   #53
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Three things - he also pumped his completion percentage by dumping to backs and especially TE's a lot. His accuracy was bad past 20 yards even when his completion % was 70%. Then you factor in better coverage as you have noted in the NFL and well you get to sit on the bench.
Doing that against the University of Louisiana-Lafayette will also insanely bolster those numbers. UT really plays a cakewalk schedule year in and out. They've refused some games in favor of lessor opponents. It's a Mack Brown signature. He is the college version of Bill Belichick in terms of loading up on stats.

I'm still a Longhorn fan.
Old 10-27-2009   #54
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

im routing for a titans win (i think almost the 1st time ever)...i want them to knock the Jags down a peg and I really hate playing a 0 win team, b/c there is too much pressure not to b thier 1st win

and as far as VY goes, cant wait to Super Mario rip him up on MNF
Old 10-27-2009   #55
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 77725 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Doing that against the University of Louisiana-Lafayette will also insanely bolster those numbers. UT really plays a cakewalk schedule year in and out. They've refused some games in favor of lessor opponents. It's a Mack Brown signature. He is the college version of Bill Belichick in terms of loading up on stats.

I'm still a Longhorn fan.
I often complain about this too as a Longhorn fan, however keep in mind that one of those out of conference cake walk games Vince had during his last season was against Ohio State. He actually had a pretty good passing game against them.

That being said I agree with everyone here that he doesn't have it between the ears to be a good NFL QB. If he plays he will have flashes to keep his worshippers excited and still believing but will he ever be a consistently good QB in the NFL? I really don't think so. Honestly there aren't many of those in the league period. The Texans are extremely fortunate to have landed Schaub. Just think if they would have signed Jake Plummer. I wonder what we would be stuck with right now.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #56
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I often complain about this too as a Longhorn fan, however keep in mind that one of those out of conference cake walk games Vince had during his last season was against Ohio State. He actually had a pretty good passing game against them.

That being said I agree with everyone here that he doesn't have it between the ears to be a good NFL QB. If he plays he will have flashes to keep his worshippers excited and still believing but will he ever be a consistently good QB in the NFL? I really don't think so. Honestly there aren't many of those in the league period. The Texans are extremely fortunate to have landed Schaub. Just think if they would have signed Jake Plummer. I wonder what we would be stuck with right now.
Where you in the club level with a jersey that said "Hookem" at the 49er game?
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #57
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

if VY is to start his self proclaimed trek to the HOF, they might as well start him soon.
Old 10-28-2009   #58
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Bo Scaife (to a lesser degree) and David Thomas.

And I've said this for several years now, Limas Sweed was VY's best friend when it came to passes over 8-10 yards. Limas had the height and hops to go up and get jump balls and bad balls.
Old 10-28-2009   #59
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2316 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Why is it when i see or hear Vince Young I automatically hear the great Hambino say "you play ball like a girl" (my apologies to all the women because I know yall throw better than Vince)
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009   #60
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 77725 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Where you in the club level with a jersey that said "Hookem" at the 49er game?
Yep, that was me. #94 and Hookem on the back. Where were you?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League > Blazing Arrow's "Rivalry Talk"
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read