Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 06-04-2005   #61
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
On paper the balance of passing to rushing might be close, but when you consider that 86 of the 286 passes completed by the Texans last year were thrown to the backs, I think you have to back off on balance. I'm sorry, but we are primarily a run dominated offense and if Capers had his way it would be even more so, but the health of his running backs prevented it from being even more one sided.

86 completions is not a high number for the RB position, especially when you look at the weakness of our TE position...Take a look at how many receptions SF Rbs had during their years of dominance. How many receptions did Philadelphia Rbs have the last 4 seasons? The Cowboys of the early 90s ran the ball at greater frequency and threw to their backs at a greater frequency. Certainly it could be a problem but not when the YPC is around 8 or 9.

I don't recall seeing the team's philosophy on offense change when Davis was injured. I think Wells had 30 carries in his one full start against the Raiders. You offer nothing to support any of your theories, IBAR.

Here, however, is some facts that totally debunk your criticisms:

1992 Dallas Cowboys (13-3) 97 of 314 completions went to RBs for only 600yds

1993 Dallas Cowboys (12-4) 126 of 316 completions to RBs for 860yds
**Emmitt was 2nd on team with 57
**Moose was 3rd on team with 50

1984 SF 49ers (15-1) 144 of 312 completions went to RBs
**Roger Craig was 1st on team with 71
**Earl Cooper was 3rd on team with 41

These are three of the best teams in NFL history and they threw to their backs at a much greater frequency than we do. I think it's safe to say that throwing passes to DDavis for 9 yards a pop isn't going to prevent this team from winning games.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #62
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
These are three of the best teams in NFL history and they threw to their backs at a much greater frequency than we do. I think it's safe to say that throwing passes to DDavis for 9 yards a pop isn't going to prevent this team from winning games.
That's IF we ever average 9 yds. a pop on our last-option outlet pass because Carr's protection has collapsed. You got a breakdown of how many sacks those teams allowed, the YPA, YPC, etc. for a more apples-to-apples comparison of the passing game?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an effective passing game, no matter whether it's to the RB or not. I just can't fathom that the "fix" is to make DC get rid of it quicker, and take away any hope of a deep route. You can't effectively "spread" the defense if you don't have any time in the pocket. You also negate the advantage that receivers like Bradford (& now Mathis) give you downfield.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005   #63
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
That's IF we ever average 9 yds. a pop on our last-option outlet pass because Carr's protection has collapsed. You got a breakdown of how many sacks those teams allowed, the YPA, YPC, etc. for a more apples-to-apples comparison of the passing game?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an effective passing game, no matter whether it's to the RB or not.

Dominick Davis 68 receptions, 588 yards, 8.6 YPC

Emmitt Smith 1993 57 receptions, 414 yards, 7.3 YPC

Emmitt Smith 1992 59 receptions, 335 yards, 5.7 YPC

Roger Craig 1984 71 receptions, 675 yards, 9.5 YPC

D. Johnston 1993 50 reception, 372 yards, 7.4 YPC
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read