Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-08-2004   #41
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
In our division the best pass rushers are Freeney and "The Freak" (now in PHL), and both are weak side DE. I remember the Miami game well and the battle between Pitts & Jason Taylor - weak side again...
I was referring to a 3-4 defense. Your examples are all 4-3 defenses, where generally the DE doesn't drop into coverage (other then zone blitz).

In a 3-4 defense, both OLBs will be called upon to rush the passer from time to time. However when dropping into coverage, there will generally be more space to cover on the weak side (ie no TE and defender, more space). The decision to put Babin on the left may have had more to do with his coverage responsibilities, generally, than sack opportunities.
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004   #42
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistril48
The decision to put Babin on the left may have had more to do with his coverage responsibilities, generally, than sack opportunities.
I think it has more to do with his size and his ability to stop the run than his coverage skills. I think the long term thinking is Peek at the Weak side and Babin on the strong side by 2005.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004   #43
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by __V__
I think the long term thinking is Peek at the Weak side and Babin on the strong side by 2005.
I would love to see that combo this year...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004   #44
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111660 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

as would i. anything to get more speed on the field as long as the production is at least the same.

peek sharper wong babin

nice combo. and young.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read