Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2009   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Defense vs Raiders

I know it's late, and we should be thinking about the Cardinals. But I only got time to do this now.... I woke up early, couldn't go back to sleep, & it's supposed to rain all day.

First snap, at the Raiders 14 yard line.

1st & 10
It's a bad bubble screen, We're playing man, Pollard is on the slot reciever. Jamarcus looks at the receiver lined up far left for a second, then gives away his intentions by eyeballing the slot receiver. Pollard is moves up on him, anticipating the throw, then throws a "Ferguson-like" tackle, 1 yard in the backfield, which doesn't bring down the receiver. Dunta is sealed off by Heyward-Bey.... the rookie. But Diles comes in to clean up for a 3 yard gain.
Old 10-10-2009   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defense vs Raiders

2nd & 7 from the Raiders 17

it's a run to the left. Jamarcus does a good job I think of selling the play fake. I thought he still had the ball. I was fooled in the stands, & I was fooled watching it on TV.

Antonio Smith comes off the line free. The raiders look like they are ZBlocking to the left, but he is still able to shoot past the RT on his left side... pretty amazing. Antonio is half a step away from the actual hand-off. Our DL pushes the left side of the line into the backfield, and McFadden has to jump backwards a few yards, to try to get around. Smith is there, to make it a 4 yard loss.

Smith looks like he did a good job. But Heyward Bey was coming on the reverse.... Diles was following Smith "to the ball" it could have been bad, if it were the reverse. But Pollard was still there... maybe he had contain. He could have made a play on Bey behind the LOS, so who knows?

Play side however, wasn't nothing going to happen good for the raiders. Like I said, Mario has got the TE 4 yards on the wrong side of the LOS. He's already discarded the TE, and is about to tackle McFadden if Smith didn't tackle him half a second before. Then Cushing is right behind him, and Quinn is right behind him.

Amobi is workin on the LG... he's so close to Mario, that the full back gets wedged between the TE & LG, and McFadden has to take it outside, because Diles is coming through what should be the cut-back lane. Cody is standing on the line of scrimmage because he pushed the Center backwards, as they move towards the left sideline.

Since Heyward-Bey is faking the reverse, Quinn is sitting on the outside. With nothing to do.

But the piece, to really get excited about here, Is that Cushing ran through the LT who released & put a better block on Cush, than any of our OL have put on a LB so far. The LT is in position to put a hit on Cush, but Brian drops his shoulder & pops the LT first. The LT wraps his arms around Cushing, but he couldn't hold him. Cushing & Mario fall on McFadden right after Smith gets him. It would have been the same 4 yard loss, if Smith would have bit on the end around.

After the tackle, Cushing gets up, and he's excited, & amped up, and dancing. I remember sitting in the stands, wondering why he's so worked up about Antonio Smith & maybe Mario getting a tackle..

Now, I know.
Old 10-10-2009   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

3rd & 11 @ the Raiders 13

They're in the shotgun. 3 recievers bunched up to the right, one wide to the left. We rush 4.

Barwin (LDE) is picked up pretty good by the LT. Barwin pretty much went straight at him. McFadden comes in, & chips him anyway.

Antonio attacks the gap between the LG & Center. He's 4 yards in the backfield, before the LG recovers & get's in front of him... it's a border line hold really.

Amobi runs around Smith, and chases Russell out of the pocket.

Mario should have had a sack. He speed rushes around the RT, uses his arms and keeps his body away then as soon as he gets the RT turned, Mario makes a clean release, and is running towards Russell. Only problem is the RT has a handfull of Mario's face mask. Even in real time, you can see Mario's head being held back. I don't understand how there was no flag thrown on that play.

Jamarcus was still able to get off a good throw on the run. He threw it at his receiver, away from our defender, so he was able to get YAC. McCain finally brought him down, thankfuly, 1.5 yards shy of the 1st down.

3 & Out... good job Texans.

The only mistake I saw on this drive, was Smith not containing the end... but it may very well not have been his responsibility.
Old 10-10-2009   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

2nd possesion

1st & 10 from their 14

their in the I with 2 tightends. We're manned up, Quinn is on #80 lined up wide right. Strong side is on the right, with Mario playing outside the tightend. Cushing is on the tightend, Pollard is right behind him, between Mario & Cushing. Amobi is lined up on the RG, Cody is shaded left of Center. Smith is the 5 tech on the Left. Diles is over the tackle 3 yards off the LOS, Demeco is next to him, over the Center. I can't see Barber.

Should have been a false start. the QB is pulling out & the RT starts before the ball moves. I originally thought we were awefull slow off the snap, but I couldn't believe the whole team was. They definitely started early.

They hand the ball off, & try to run to the left.

Mario is free off the line, chases the play down, & tackles McFadden for a gain of three.

Pollard just slides left... looks like he's just protecting the back end... not much to see here.

Cushing also moves laterally, he does a good job keeping the TE off of him with his hands. As they move left, the TE trips over the RT.

Amobi slants in, gets his hands up like he's going to attack the RG.... but the RT cuts him, with a good, clean block, throwing his body at Amobi's thighs... not like our guys who look like they are aiming at a spot on the ground in front of the defender. Amobi hits the ground.

Demeco tries to get past the RG, but Cooper does a good job & keeps him out.

Cody does a good job initially on the Center. He hits at the snap, and looks like he is driving the center to the play side. IMHO, he should release, and go on into the backfield, he's got good position on the Center to do that, but for some reason he follows the Center

Diles gets into the backfield. The LT went straight for the second level, & let Diles get in behind him. Diles was met by the full back in the backfield. McFadden cuts it up, then runs behind the center.

I'm not really upset with Quinn, who is on the slot receiver. But if he'd managed to keep one eye in the backfield, he could have made a play on the ball. Instead, he got tied up with the WR.
Old 10-10-2009   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

2nd & 8 from their 16
4 down line men. Mario on our left, outside the tightend. Amobi playing the 3 on the strong side. Cody 1 gap on the weak side, Smith 5 tech on the weak side. Cushing 4 yards back on the RT. Demeco 6 yards back on the Center. Diles 3 yards back on the LT.

The tight-end releases, Cushing is looking at the QB, while trying to jam the TE. Doesn't work very well.

Mario gets deep on the RT, then shoves the RT even deeper, but is held as he pushes him.

Amobi puts a swim move on Cooper, gets by him, then sacks Russell.

Cody is doing a good job, pushing back his double team. This is the reason Jamarcus can't really step up to get away from Amobi.

Smith throws a week spin move out there, but he's stonewalled by the LT. He's going to regret that sack by Amobi, because that means that spin move will be on tape they'll go over for a week.
Old 10-10-2009   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly I'm much more interested in how their pass game faired against us. To me watching on my TV, it looked an awful lot like Jamarcus was our best DB on the field, but that's just what I saw. I mean the Raiders had about 8 dropped passes, and a lot of those passes were wide open gimmie's that either Russell threw too hard/off-target, or the receivers just plain dropped it because they sucked.
Old 10-10-2009   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

3rd & 13 from their 9

Barwin is on our Left. 5 tech, with a TE on his outside shoulder. Amobi is playing on the center, zero tech. Smith is the 3 tech on the weak side, Mario is the 5. Demeco is 5 yards off the ball, over the RG. Cushing is 5 yards back over the LG. Quinn is also 5 yards back playing inside the slot receiver on the strong side...... I guess he's splitting the TE & the Slot receiver. CBs are 5 yards off the ball, covering the receivers on both sides. I can't see the safeties.

It's a draw. TE & RT stop Connor cold. Amobi tries to go around the RG, in the 3 gap.... ?? but gets no where. He sees the run going to the right, tries to pursue to the left, but he's held... pretty obvious, not called.

Antonio shoots to the outside of the LG. The left guard helps him..... Antonio Smith is out of the play.

Mario does the same thing..... LT pushes him out of the play...

Demeco moves up 2 yards before the snap. At the snap, he watches the QB/RB... when the RB gets the ball, He reads the line, and makes a bee line to the big gapping hole left by Antonio Smith & Mario Williams. First contact is made 1 yard behind the LOS, but since it's an ankle tackle, they actualy pick up a yard.

Cushing jumps back a yard at the snap. He too is watching the backfield, as soon as he sees run, he heads towards the LOS. The Center released free from the line, and put a weak block on Cushing. Cushing still would have made the play, had Demeco missed.....

Pollard was also there, in case something went wrong.

Quinn also smelled run, and was in position to make a play if he had to.

I'm not faulting Mario or Antonio, they were just doing their job, their OC was just taking advantage of our aggressiveness.

Good thing our LB & safeties were doing their job.

3 & out....... Good job Texans.
Old 10-11-2009   #8
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I know it's late, and we should be thinking about the Cardinals. But I only got time to do this now.... I woke up early, couldn't go back to sleep, & it's supposed to rain all day.

First snap, at the Raiders 14 yard line.

1st & 10
It's a bad bubble screen, We're playing man, Pollard is on the slot reciever. Jamarcus looks at the receiver lined up far left for a second, then gives away his intentions by eyeballing the slot receiver. Pollard is moves up on him, anticipating the throw, then throws a "Ferguson-like" tackle, 1 yard in the backfield, which doesn't bring down the receiver. Dunta is sealed off by Heyward-Bey.... the rookie. But Diles comes in to clean up for a 3 yard gain.
The more important here that I like, is that Pollard played it well.
He watched for the outside receiver first, in case he can go for an Int.
Then he came up to the slot and contained the outside.
He turned that play in for our LBs.
He didn't make the play, but it was a good time to go for a TFL.
He knew that if he just slows down Murphy, our LBs will come up right away.
The guy actually knows what he's doing out there.
And he was very fast and fluid in doing all those things.
I see a lot of encouragement in his plays (not just this particular one).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #9
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2nd & 7 from the Raiders 17

Antonio Smith comes off the line free. The raiders look like they are ZBlocking to the left, but he is still able to shoot past the RT on his left side... pretty amazing. Antonio is half a step away from the actual hand-off. Our DL pushes the left side of the line into the backfield, and McFadden has to jump backwards a few yards, to try to get around. Smith is there, to make it a 4 yard loss.

Smith looks like he did a good job. But Heyward Bey was coming on the reverse.... Diles was following Smith "to the ball" it could have been bad, if it were the reverse. But Pollard was still there... maybe he had contain. He could have made a play on Bey behind the LOS, so who knows?

Play side however, wasn't nothing going to happen good for the raiders. Like I said, Mario has got the TE 4 yards on the wrong side of the LOS. He's already discarded the TE, and is about to tackle McFadden if Smith didn't tackle him half a second before.

Amobi is workin on the LG... he's so close to Mario, that the full back gets wedged between the TE & LG, and McFadden has to take it outside, because Diles is coming through what should be the cut-back lane.
Since Heyward-Bey is faking the reverse, Quinn is sitting on the outside. With nothing to do.
Smith did a good job penetrating, which is his forte, just what I had said when we first got him.

We can't never be sure of the D-call;
but at any rate, Pollard was to contain the reverse, and so he did.
We always have the other safety that can come up to support.
Dunta was also on the back side to help out.
It's likely that Diles can see the hand-off; therefore he continued to pursue toward playside.
Also, it looks to me like Smith had a good angle in case to see the reverse.
He started straight toward the mesh point, and can stop and turn to chase.
That would signal Diles to do the same.

It was a good containment job by Okoye and Mario that allowed Smith to make that play.
Old 10-11-2009   #10
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
3rd & 11 @ the Raiders 13

They're in the shotgun. 3 recievers bunched up to the right, one wide to the left. We rush 4.

Barwin (LDE) is picked up pretty good by the LT. Barwin pretty much went straight at him. McFadden comes in, & chips him anyway.

Antonio attacks the gap between the LG & Center. He's 4 yards in the backfield, before the LG recovers & get's in front of him... it's a border line hold really.

Amobi runs around Smith, and chases Russell out of the pocket.

Mario should have had a sack. He speed rushes around the RT, uses his arms and keeps his body away then as soon as he gets the RT turned, Mario makes a clean release, and is running towards Russell. Only problem is the RT has a handfull of Mario's face mask. Even in real time, you can see Mario's head being held back. I don't understand how there was no flag thrown on that play.

Jamarcus was still able to get off a good throw on the run. He threw it at his receiver, away from our defender, so he was able to get YAC. McCain finally brought him down, thankfuly, 1.5 yards shy of the 1st down.

3 & Out... good job Texans.

The only mistake I saw on this drive, was Smith not containing the end... but it may very well not have been his responsibility.
I don't see how Smith can contain the end when he lined up at RDT???
(Never mind, you were probably talking about the play earlier.)

In this play, Smith charged the gap as you said; and when the C tried to take on Okoye, Smith was able to penetrate.

Good quickness by Okoye to stunt around him from LDT to get into the backfield and flush Russell out of the pocket.
And Mario was a beast, like you said.
That should have been a penalty.

Good job by Cush jamming the TE and a receiver at the line.
That helped, I think.

Good effort by McCain as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read