Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009   #321
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1688 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Umm . . YES, THEY WOULD.

You can get any spoon out of the drawer, but the pot of soup will still have those same players in it.

(There is no debate. End of story) LOL!
Well said! And to add to that, any team would LOVE to have that combo of coaches. That's like saying, "if our defense had Darelle Rivas and Troy Polamalu, we could be the best defense ever". It ain't gonna happen, so stop with the hypotheticals.
Old 09-29-2009   #322
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Well said! And to add to that, any team would LOVE to have that combo of coaches. That's like saying, "if our defense had Darelle Rivas and Troy Polamalu, we could be the best defense ever". It ain't gonna happen, so stop with the hypotheticals.
Good coaches can scheme to hide weaknesses and play to strengths. Do ours do that?

ummmmm.......

Unless we're running some kind of bizarro scheme that hides strengths and emphasizes weaknesses but I doubt that.... sort of.

Our defense =
Old 09-29-2009   #323
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
There are reasons to hire a guy other than experience. McNair was impressed with Kubiak. You know, the NFL has a high opinion of the guy and he would've been a head coach somewhere. Regarding Bush, I think McNair had absolutely nothing to do with that hire. And, he is right to not dictate hirings to Kubiak. Kubiak believed in Bush and wanted him as his DC back in 2006. I'm not sure his exact reasonings but I'm sure it wasn't to save Bob McNair a few $100,000.

Personally, I kind of like the Bush hire and am optimistic about him. I think this season's problems go directly to how Kubiak, Smith, and Bush assessed the talent on the team. For reasons I don't understand, they decided to stand pat at Safety... As a result, we are in a world of trouble back there.
what? you kind of like the Bush hire? you do realize we are on pace to give up more yards than any team in NFL HISTORY!! you do realize he was partially responsible for the horrible defense we have had here the last 2 years, right?

what do you like about the Bush hire? honestly, bro. what has bush done that has made you 'like' the hire? I don't get it.

once again, we are on pace to give up more yards than anyone in NFL history..2 of those games were home games and all 3 were against teams that aren't exactly offensive juggernauts....

i understand that you go down with the ship, dale. that is fine, but you have to at least acknowledge that the defensive ship is sinking and Bush is ultimately responsible for that.

so you release Bush of any blame but you are OK with blaming Kubiak and Smith for the personnel moves....you know what personnel move I think was their worst move. Hiring Bush! (other than resigning Carr to max extension of course..but that was probably Bumbling Bob's fault)
Old 09-29-2009   #324
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Umm . . YES, THEY WOULD.

You can get any spoon out of the drawer, but the pot of soup will still have those same players in it.

I disgaree wholeheartedly. The Texans' defense is entirely more talented than they are playing. Obviously there are holes, but a defense featuring guys like Dunta, DeMeco, and Mario are not 32nd in the league bad no matter how you try and spin it.

AJ had a great article on that very topic last night:
Quote:
Some of you may have heard a local radio talk show host rant for the past 24-36 hours about how the Texans defensive woes are due to 'no talent' and as a result he's giving Texans defensive coordinator Frank Bush 'a pass' for the Texans putrid performance over the first three games.

The first thing that struck me after hearing that comment was that the Texans had the 22nd ranked defense (in yards per game) last season with no better personnel, and after three games this season, the Texans will most likely be dead last in the league (that would be 32nd) after the completion of tonight's Dallas - Carolina game.

So if the Texans have 'no talent' on defense, is the radio host suggesting the Texans fall from 22 to 32 is due to the loss of Anthony Weaver, Travis Johnson, Morlon Greenwood, Will Demps and C.C. Brown?
AJ plays it safe with his argument and posits that the Texans' personnel is no worse than last season's. I'd comfortably venture that the Texans' personnel is better than last season's. Either way, it'd be pretty hard to argue that we're worse, and if we're not worse personnel-wise, we have to be worse coaching-wise.
Old 09-29-2009   #325
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

FIRE FRANK BUSH..do we have to wait for 3 years like we did with Dick Smith?

Kubiak sucks so bad to hire this guy. Kubiak make some new friends. Your friends suck at coaching.
Old 09-29-2009   #326
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero
Quote:
Umm . . YES, THEY WOULD.

I disgaree wholeheartedly. The Texans' defense is entirely more talented than they are playing. Obviously there are holes, but a defense featuring guys like Dunta, DeMeco, and Mario are not 32nd in the league bad no matter how you try and spin it.

AJ had a great article on that very topic last night:
Quote:
Some of you may have heard a local radio talk show host rant for the past 24-36 hours about how the Texans defensive woes are due to 'no talent' and as a result he's giving Texans defensive coordinator Frank Bush 'a pass' for the Texans putrid performance over the first three games.

The first thing that struck me after hearing that comment was that the Texans had the 22nd ranked defense (in yards per game) last season with no better personnel, and after three games this season, the Texans will most likely be dead last in the league (that would be 32nd) after the completion of tonight's Dallas - Carolina game.

So if the Texans have 'no talent' on defense, is the radio host suggesting the Texans fall from 22 to 32 is due to the loss of Anthony Weaver, Travis Johnson, Morlon Greenwood, Will Demps and C.C. Brown?
AJ plays it safe with his argument and posits that the Texans' personnel is no worse than last season's. I'd comfortably venture that the Texans' personnel is better than last season's. Either way, it'd be pretty hard to argue that we're worse, and if we're not worse personnel-wise, we have to be worse coaching-wise.
We would have been wise to factor in a learning curve with whatever Bush wants to do differently. Especially with Cushing and Dunta missing camp.
Old 09-29-2009   #327
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
We would have been wise to factor in a learning curve with whatever Bush wants to do differently. Especially with Cushing and Dunta missing camp.
I think this is key. We honestly can't expect a new DC and new scheme to be effective immediately, especially with two big starters out in TC.

Only time will tell if the defense is going to gel into a cohesive unit. I tend to think we'll see some improvements as time goes on, especially around the halfway mark. Our offense is set to compete with just about anybody, so any improvement on D will most likely result in another 8-8 season (or maybe 9-7 / 7-9, lots of close games ahead).

As far as firing Kubiak or anyone else right now, I am not a fan of mid-season coaching changes. The Palmer situation during 2-14 was a clear indication that the season was essentially over, and without trying to be optimistic, I still think there is a possibility of this season changing course for a more positive destination. Firing coaches is a one way ticket to rebuilding hell. (Don't bank on new HCs turning it around in a year, in spite of what has happened with other teams. This is HOUSTON, after all....)
Old 09-29-2009   #328
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Vic Fangio available?? *ducks punches from every direction*

Old 09-29-2009   #329
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Maybe if it were his first year on the job, but not a team that's trying to get over the hump. That's why they should have hired a guy that's held the position before.

Kubiak knew what he was getting into when he went with Bush. He had ZERO margin for error.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Old 09-29-2009   #330
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Is Vic Fangio available?? *ducks punches from every direction*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Kubiak knew what he was getting into when he went with Bush. He had ZERO margin for error.
The same person that advises Kubiak on when to challenge a play must have advised him on the defensive coordinator position.....
Old 09-29-2009   #331
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Maybe if it were his first year on the job, but not a team that's trying to get over the hump. That's why they should have hired a guy that's held the position before.

Great post. Kubiak should've known that his job and a chance at the playoffs was on the line.

I guess the other thing I have to ask is that Bush knew what he had to work with regardless of not having Reeves and Cushing during TC. I don't get how it didn't occur to him at some point during OTAs, TC and Preseason we had crap at safety and didn't make a move to address it.

I guess he was waiting for a patented Texans wait until a few weeks into the season to make a move at safety.
Old 09-29-2009   #332
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I think this is key. We honestly can't expect a new DC and new scheme to be effective immediately, especially with two big starters out in TC.

Only time will tell if the defense is going to gel into a cohesive unit. I tend to think we'll see some improvements as time goes on, especially around the halfway mark. Our offense is set to compete with just about anybody, so any improvement on D will most likely result in another 8-8 season (or maybe 9-7 / 7-9, lots of close games ahead).

As far as firing Kubiak or anyone else right now, I am not a fan of mid-season coaching changes. The Palmer situation during 2-14 was a clear indication that the season was essentially over, and without trying to be optimistic, I still think there is a possibility of this season changing course for a more positive destination. Firing coaches is a one way ticket to rebuilding hell. (Don't bank on new HCs turning it around in a year, in spite of what has happened with other teams. This is HOUSTON, after all....)
First, let me say that I am not for firing Kubiak in the middle of the season. I do think he is pretty close to earning the "will be fired" title, if he isn't already there.

About the D scheme, I thought it was the same scheme only different playcalling. Seems that we were pretty much told that before the season and its pretty much what I have seen. It looks the same, but more aggressive therefore resulting in bigger plays (mostly bad, but some good). Am I wrong to think that?
Old 09-29-2009   #333
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not against getting rid of Kubiak.
Old 09-29-2009   #334
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
First, let me say that I am not for firing Kubiak in the middle of the season. I do think he is pretty close to earning the "will be fired" title, if he isn't already there.

About the D scheme, I thought it was the same scheme only different playcalling. Seems that we were pretty much told that before the season and its pretty much what I have seen. It looks the same, but more aggressive therefore resulting in bigger plays (mostly bad, but some good). Am I wrong to think that?
I definitely agree with your first statement. If Kubiak wasn't on the "hot seat" prior to this season, I can't believe that he's not on it now.

The defensive scheme seems to be shrouded in mystery, simply because we have little to go on with regards to a Frank Bush resume, and everything else we have is sugar-coated sound bites from the coaching staff. I think it is borderline stupid to take a bad defense from last season and just do the same thing again but simpler. My previous post was giving them more latitude that something had to be different in the scheme, but that is just speculation on my part. Right now, though, it does look like Richard.Smith.v2 + extra suckiness.
Old 09-30-2009   #335
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Tell that to Rex Ryan.
Old 09-30-2009   #336
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

These threads are getting old.

All firing any coach mid season is saying is that you have given up on the team for the year. It is not even halfway through the seson yet.

A new coach coming in will change half of the players. (Of course half of the players on defense probably deserve to be changed.) But probably the zone blocking scheme so there goes a bunch of the oline, the one-cut and run RB's as well - which is all of them? The offense will change. So there goes half the fun of watching. Probably a new QB as all these coaches like "their own" QB. Not many coaches are going to get a Flacco or Ryan to play QB. Besides they more or less had decent defenses to start off with. Then back to the wait 3-4 years again. The fire this person or that will start after year 1 again. Or the why did they hire this coach over that coach threads because some of the posters here know so much more that anyone in the NFL.

We are stuck in a time loop - over and over and over again. You don't have to be Harry/Mary Sunshine, but can't we all just lay off the "FIRE" threads till at least halfway through a season?
Old 09-30-2009   #337
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
...but can't we all just lay off the "FIRE" threads till at least halfway through a season?
Can't we lay off the "just lay off the _____" posts? Post what you want. If you don't like a thread's content, don't post in it. Or just say why you don't like it and be done with it.
Old 09-30-2009   #338
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Well OK the, I will just avoid them all as they are all just about the same here lately.
Old 09-30-2009   #339
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

If Kubiak has a losing record through the first 8 games of the season, I think we should can him at the end of the year. My reasoning is that we always seem to play better the last couple games when it's not possible to make the playoffs. I don't know if it's because the other teams are working towards draft picks or are already a lock for the playoffs but it gets us optimistic for next season when all we do is suck again and again.
Old 09-30-2009   #340
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Tell that to Rex Ryan.
I did not say that it couldn't happen, I just said that we can't expect it to happen.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read