Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009   #301
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Cowher is the only coach AVAILABLE (<---- key word) that would be worth firing Kubiak for. And unless he's already called Bob McNair and said, "Hey, Bob - if you decide to make a change, I'm available", then it's not worth the risk. You may end up with some other castoff like Big Shanny, Dick Jauron, or Herm Edwards if you do and Cowher says no. I'd rather ride the storm with Kubiak as long as he has the offensive side of the ball working. He'll eventually get the defense turned around.
what makes you think he will get the defense turned around? this is year 4 and its still not turned around...are we supposed to just sit around and be a losing franchise until Gary finally hires someone worth a crap.

As for Dick Jauron and Herm Edwards, both of those coaches are better than Kubiak and so is Gruden, Cowher, Schotty, Shanahan, and just about anyone.

Gary has done a great job with the offense but has been a disaster with defense.
Old 09-29-2009   #302
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Fred Bennett
Dunta Robinson
John Busing
Eugene Wilson
Amobi Okoye
Old 09-29-2009   #303
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Fred Bennett
Dunta Robinson
John Busing
Eugene Wilson
Amobi Okoye

Where you going with this, TB?
Old 09-29-2009   #304
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
what makes you think he will get the defense turned around? this is year 4 and its still not turned around...are we supposed to just sit around and be a losing franchise until Gary finally hires someone worth a crap.

As for Dick Jauron and Herm Edwards, both of those coaches are better than Kubiak and so is Gruden, Cowher, Schotty, Shanahan, and just about anyone.

Gary has done a great job with the offense but has been a disaster with defense.
He's still a first-time head coach. He had an absolute mess on both sides of the ball. He focused on his forte - the offense - for four years and trusted Dick Smith to take care of the defense. Smith was a failure, and you can tell just from his press conferences and talk shows that his focus is for the first time 100% on defense. Yeah, he might have taken a year too long to turn to the defense, but again - it's a mistake I think a first-timer could make. I'm still on the side of keeping him through his contract, no matter how this season turns out, as long as the offense is still a top producer. If one side of the ball is firing and you can put it on auto-pilot, everyone in the organization can crack the whip on the other side.
Old 09-29-2009   #305
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Okoye had a strong game this week (probably the only guy on defense that did) and if he continues, looks like he may finally be developing into a worthy first-round pick. We didn't draft Busing or Wilson, Bennett was a 4th round pick...and Dunta had a career-hindering injury. They're TRYING to fix the defense, but there's only so many early picks and so much money to go around.
Old 09-29-2009   #306
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

They all suck. I don't care who is coaching them up.
Old 09-29-2009   #307
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Okoye had a strong game this week (probably the only guy on defense that did) and if he continues, looks like he may finally be developing into a worthy first-round pick. We didn't draft Busing or Wilson, Bennett was a 4th round pick...and Dunta had a career-hindering injury. They're TRYING to fix the defense, but there's only so many early picks and so much money to go around.
1 game in 3 seasons?

/End rant. I just didn't get my frustrations out yesterday. Those guys are great.
Old 09-29-2009   #308
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
I'd hire Schottenheimer in a heartbeat as well, with the same (lack of) hesitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
I'd hire Fisher a hell of a lot quicker than I'd hire Schottenheimer. Fisher doesn't screw up that loaded team that choked at home to NE. Of course I type that knowing what happened to the Titans last year versus BAL.
I'd go for some Martyball at this point. I'm beginning to have my doubts about Kubiak's ability to get this ship completely righted. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but that D just hasn't gotten any better. The team is really inconsistent, IMO, and I keep thinking that it has to go back to the coach. Period. Other teams are doing more with less - why isn't Gary?

I know Marty is a choker, but his teams are at least relevant in December which is a damn sight more than I can say for Kubiak so far. If Marty were to come in (which I doubt and all of this is strictly waaaay out in left field pie in the sky conjecture) and get this team on the right track, then we might have an easier time getting a big name coach to come in. Not many coaches want to come in and take over a turd.
Old 09-29-2009   #309
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
1 game in 3 seasons?

/End rant. I just didn't get my frustrations out yesterday. Those guys are great.
He was 19. I'll cut him some slack.

*one of these days my optimism will be the death of me.
Old 09-29-2009   #310
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
He was 19. I'll cut him some slack.

*one of these days my optimism will be the death of me.

LOL... Your optimism is probably a good thing. I go from optimism to doom and gloom in a 3 hour period on any given Sunday.
Old 09-29-2009   #311
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 155137 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1 game in 3 seasons?

I think I'm tired of slow SS/FS , bad CBs , shopping cart DTs , 1 DE , but hey the LBs are looking better .

Their on their 3rd DL coach in 4 years ... hmmm .... maybe it's not the coach . We're on the 2nd DB coach ... hmmm ... maybe it's not the coach .

I'm tired of a small OL to . How I yearn for a big physical OL who can dominate a game . The good news is we may already have some pieces .

Having said all the above , if we lose the next 2/3 ... I'm firing folks . If we are not in the playoff race come December ... firing . That's not just Kubiak , it's Smith also , who's forte is supposed to be scouting DB's .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 09-29-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-29-2009   #312
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

it's not hte coaches fault, its the fault of the guys who are hiring such bad and unqualified coaches.

when you nickel and dime on coaches, this is what you get. Kollar is the first coach who actually was coveted by other teams that we convinced to come here to help our defense.

i am just sick of excuses. this is year 4 and Kubiak still doesnt have a decent defense. THAT IS ON HIM. No excuses. He hired Smith. He hired Bush.

Both guys suck. There is no debate. There is enough talent to win if the scheme is run competently. The coaching staff on defense is incompetent.

It really is that easy. Ray Rhodes is way past his prime. Kollar is good but everyone else sucks and that includes Bush.

Do we have to sit through another 2-14 season before we can actually get some change in this organization? I am sick of this pathetic coaching staff.

It's a nickel and dime staff comprised of losers and cronies and Kollar.
Old 09-29-2009   #313
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
it's not hte coaches fault, its the fault of the guys who are hiring such bad and unqualified coaches.

when you nickel and dime on coaches, this is what you get. Kollar is the first coach who actually was coveted by other teams that we convinced to come here to help our defense.

i am just sick of excuses. this is year 4 and Kubiak still doesnt have a decent defense. THAT IS ON HIM. No excuses. He hired Smith. He hired Bush.

Both guys suck. There is no debate. There is enough talent to win if the scheme is run competently. The coaching staff on defense is incompetent.

It really is that easy. Ray Rhodes is way past his prime. Kollar is good but everyone else sucks and that includes Bush.

Do we have to sit through another 2-14 season before we can actually get some change in this organization? I am sick of this pathetic coaching staff.

It's a nickel and dime staff comprised of losers and cronies and Kollar.

SH, It's a valid point to want a more experienced staff. However, the constant insinuation you make that McNair hires the men he does in order to save a buck is baseless. There is no evidence to suggest that is the case. McNair's original hires at GM, head coach, and OC were all men with a lot of experience.

I'm still expecting 10 wins this year, so I'm not ready to jump off the cliff. In 2005, I was already rooting against the team by week 3 because I wanted a bad enough season to clean house. I don't see anything resembling that situation happening this season.

If Kubiak fails, I would love to see Schottenheimer come in here. I think he's a great coach and find the "choker" label to be quite silly.
Old 09-29-2009   #314
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
SH, It's a valid point to want a more experienced staff. However, the constant insinuation you make that McNair hires the men he does in order to save a buck is baseless. There is no evidence to suggest that is the case. McNair's original hires at GM, head coach, and OC were all men with a lot of experience.

I'm still expecting 10 wins this year, so I'm not ready to jump off the cliff. In 2005, I was already rooting against the team by week 3 because I wanted a bad enough season to clean house. I don't see anything resembling that situation happening this season.

If Kubiak fails, I would love to see Schottenheimer come in here. I think he's a great coach and find the "choker" label to be quite silly.
so he didn't hire them to save money? why else did he hire them? it sure wasn't their experience or qualifications.

I am just trying to find a reason that Bush was hired/promoted. The only reason i can come up with is that he is Kubiaks friend and I am sure it didn't hurt that he was dirt cheap and already on the payroll.

just sayin...
Old 09-29-2009   #315
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
so he didn't hire them to save money? why else did he hire them? it sure wasn't their experience or qualifications.

I am just trying to find a reason that Bush was hired/promoted. The only reason i can come up with is that he is Kubiaks friend and I am sure it didn't hurt that he was dirt cheap and already on the payroll.

just sayin...
There are reasons to hire a guy other than experience. McNair was impressed with Kubiak. You know, the NFL has a high opinion of the guy and he would've been a head coach somewhere. Regarding Bush, I think McNair had absolutely nothing to do with that hire. And, he is right to not dictate hirings to Kubiak. Kubiak believed in Bush and wanted him as his DC back in 2006. I'm not sure his exact reasonings but I'm sure it wasn't to save Bob McNair a few $100,000.

Personally, I kind of like the Bush hire and am optimistic about him. I think this season's problems go directly to how Kubiak, Smith, and Bush assessed the talent on the team. For reasons I don't understand, they decided to stand pat at Safety... As a result, we are in a world of trouble back there.
Old 09-29-2009   #316
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not even like Kubiak lacked qualifications, either.

He has a handful of SB rings, have coached under one of the best offensive systems in the league, played next to one of the best QB in the history of the league, and had extensive experience calling plays in the NFL. He was entirely qualified to take a head coaching position.

And, to top that off, he is pretty much a polar opposite of Capers.

I don't know if McNair would be unwilling to spend the money on a great head coach, but he's never given me a reason to think he wouldn't and, to the contrary, has done everything to make me think he would
Old 09-29-2009   #317
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
He's still a first-time head coach.
No he's not, this is his 4th year as a head coach. Eventually that excuse has to go. Especially after 3 teams including the 1-15 Dolphins made the playoffs with real first time head coaches last season.

He's had 4 years and aside from the offense we still have the same terrible defense (although now at least we have Mario, Meco, and Cushing), the same inconsistent performances, and the same terrible game management. Not to mention there is no team in the NFL who undervalues the safety and DT positions like we do! Only time Smithiak took a real shot at either of them they draft a project DT ahead of NFL ready players like SEC DPOY Patrick Willis and CB Darelle Revis.

Kubiak's inability to hire out of his comfort zone will prove to be the nail in the coffin for his Head Coaching run in Houston.
Old 09-29-2009   #318
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I won't argue that he's a great coach. I wholeheartedly support that notion. You can't deny the 200-126-1 coaching record.... He's 5-13 in the postseason, though, and SD getting "debacled" by NE back in 07 still jumps out at me.

All that said, I'm all for some martyball.
Old 09-29-2009   #319
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer

Can we blame the players? Yes, but it ain't all their fault.

If Dungy was head coach, and Rex Ryan was D-Coordinator, would the Texans D be this bad with the exact same players?

NO FREAKING WAY.
Old 09-29-2009   #320
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Fred Bennett
Dunta Robinson
John Busing
Eugene Wilson
Amobi Okoye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Flash View Post
Can we blame the players? Yes, but it ain't all their fault.

If Dungy was head coach, and Rex Ryan was D-Coordinator, would the Texans D be this bad with the exact same players?

NO FREAKING WAY.
Umm . . YES, THEY WOULD.

You can get any spoon out of the drawer, but the pot of soup will still have those same players in it.

(There is no debate. End of story) LOL!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read