Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009   #281
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I think the bolded ones we have a decent chance of winning. Hopefully the pats aren't playing for anything in the last week. Haha, we'd really get in a groove if we won our last 6 games. And then we'd still have to win one of those games after the Raiders game to have a chance at the playoffs.
That would only put us at 8-8 or 9-7 if we get a win somewhere else like you said. That won't win the division.
Old 09-28-2009   #282
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I can't find 9 wins in our remaining schedule no matter how hard I try. It is really brutal up to the bye. And to top it off we are starting out 0-2 at home. There will not be a wildcard team from the AFC south. I posted in another thread where I believe the AFC north and AFC east will produce the wildcard teams. And that means we would have to win our division. Not gonna happen. Check it out.

Sun. 4 RAIDERS
Sun. 11 @ Cardinals
Sun. 18 @ Bengals
Sun. 25 49ERS
Sun. 1 @ Bills
Sun. 8 @ Colts
BYE 15
Mon. 23 TITANS
Sun. 29 COLTS
Sun. 6 @ Jaguars
Sun. 13 SEAHAWKS
Sun. 20 @ Rams
Sun. 27 @ Dolphins
Sun. 3 PATRIOTS
Bullhockey. I see 13 potential wins. If we beat the Titans in their house, what makes you think we couldn't beat them in our OWN house on MNF? The Bengals and Bills? They're decent, but beatable. The Colts are tough, but also beatable.

Come on, now. It just depends on WHICH Texans team shows up. It's like Jekyll and Hyde every week. A week ago everyone was shouting the praises of these guys, now it's all doom and gloom. I know our defense sucks, but a play or two goes our way, we win yesterday's game. Our offense is good enough to keep us in ANY game. We just need our defense to come around.
Old 09-28-2009   #283
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Bullhockey. I see 13 potential wins. If we beat the Titans in their house, what makes you think we couldn't beat them in our OWN house on MNF? The Bengals and Bills? They're decent, but beatable. The Colts are tough, but also beatable.

Come on, now. It just depends on WHICH Texans team shows up. It's like Jekyll and Hyde every week. A week ago everyone was shouting the praises of these guys, now it's all doom and gloom. I know our defense sucks, but a play or two goes our way, we win yesterday's game. Our offense is good enough to keep us in ANY game. We just need our defense to come around.
I wouldn't paint with such broad strokes. While happy with the W, there were some of us that knew better.

Easier said than done
Old 09-28-2009   #284
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Saw this on the Raiders forums...couldn't resist not posting it here...

Maybe you guys should look into getting this guy as your new HC .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s23J...layer_embedded

*EDIT* Forgot to mention, IM JOKING, just thought I'd say that before I get flamed off of this forum . But it does make you wonder, having a guy like him wouldn't be THAT bad (I'm talking about the Raiders as well as the Texans).
Old 09-28-2009   #285
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yes it does, when you've got a defense that can't even hold two of the worst teams in the league to under 30 points. We are dreadful on defense and that's all there is to it. Hell we barely got by against that Titans team and could have almost been 0-3. This isn't a good football team. This is a football team with a great offense and ZERO leadership. A team with zero leadership doesn't go anywhere in the NFL.

Did you really just compare this defense to the one that the Giants had when they won the SB? I don't care how inconsistent they may have been at the beginning of the season. They were nowhere near as bad as this team's defense is.

week one versus Dallas
45 points
345 passing yards on 15 completions!
135 rushing yards

week two versus GB
35 points
375 total yards

they got things straightened out after that.. but, for a team with as many veterans and as much talent, it was a pretty rough start. And, I remember a lot of panic from the fanbase and media those first two weeks.

I'm not saying we are the '07 Giants, but I am saying that 2 very poor efforts on defense doesn't mean this team can't get a lot better... and quickly.
Old 09-28-2009   #286
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
week one versus Dallas
45 points
345 passing yards on 15 completions!
135 rushing yards

week two versus GB
35 points
375 total yards

they got things straightened out after that.. but, for a team with as many veterans and as much talent, it was a pretty rough start. And, I remember a lot of panic from the fanbase and media those first two weeks.

I'm not saying we are the '07 Giants, but I am saying that 2 very poor efforts on defense doesn't mean this team can't get a lot better... and quickly.
Dale,

I usually agree with what you've got to say. I guess you're still holding out hope for the season and a possible turn around on defense.

Based on the history of this team the play will turn around when they hit about 2-6 and the playoffs will be out of the question. They have sufficiently worked out enough kinks on the defense to make a late season run to finish at....8-8.

I'm somewhere in between wanting to see a turnaround for my temporary sanity with this team, and my long term sanity of them spiraling completely and getting Kubiak fired. At least then I might have a glimmer of hope McNair will be forced to bring in a winning coach.
Old 09-28-2009   #287
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Just because Kubiak doesn't spit on his players or tongue kiss them on the sidelines doesn't make him a poor leader. It makes him stoic. Bear Bryant was stoic. Tom Landry was stoic. Mike Holmgren was stoic. I'm not saying Kubiak is one of those guys, but don't mistake his lack of screaming for lack of passion or ability.
Bryant, a stoic coach? Not sure where you got that from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junction_Boys

Holmgren has had his share of meltdowns on the sideline, the red face syndrome was quite obvious.
Old 09-28-2009   #288
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I said earlier in this thread that if I was Bob McNair after the Jets game I would be thinking to myself that Gary needs 10 wins to keep his job. That is still the number but I would like to throw out another name that I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread. Leslie Frazier, DC Minnesota.

He has been a pretty hot candidate the last couple of years and he just missed out on getting one of the jobs last year. I think it is almost a guarantee that he will be a head coach for someone next year. This is a guy that, while he can't bring his defensive line with him, knows what it takes to win in the trenches on defense. I would trust him to drop the dead weight on our line and start finding some real players to put around Mario. He doesn't need to shake up the offense a great deal either. As a side note, he is likely to be choice numero uno for at least a couple teams so the fact that his son is a WR at Rice might help make us more attractive.
I strongly disagree. You went the OC/new coach route on Kubiak, and before that the DC route on Capers, right?

From someone that isn't emotionally invested in your club (as a Tack fan, lord knows I have my own issues right now) I can tell you that what I've seen so far suggests your teams needs a fiery leader that can kick this team in the ass. Right now there are two Super Bowl champion coaches in the booth, and I'm convinced either Gruden or Cowher are the necessary guys that need to be brought in for the Texans to truly get to the next level.

Just my .02.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
Old 09-29-2009   #289
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
I strongly disagree. You went the OC/new coach route on Kubiak, and before that the DC route on Capers, right?

From someone that isn't emotionally invested in your club (as a Tack fan, lord knows I have my own issues right now) I can tell you that what I've seen so far suggests your teams needs a fiery leader that can kick this team in the ass. Right now there are two Super Bowl champion coaches in the booth, and I'm convinced either Gruden or Cowher are the necessary guys that need to be brought in for the Texans to truly get to the next level.

Just my .02.

While I'd love to get Bill Cowher here, I can pretty much leave that to a wish list.

Don't get why people like Gruden as a coach for here. Other then winning the SB with Dungy's team he didn't do a whole lot there. His had lost his team way before he was let before this year.
Old 09-29-2009   #290
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 65936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Don't get why people like Gruden as a coach for here. Other then winning the SB with Dungy's team he didn't do a whole lot there. His had lost his team way before he was let before this year.
I'm no huge Gruden fan, and would be less than thrilled if he ever became the coach of the Texans, but I believe he showed far more as the coach of the Raiders than he ever did in Tampa. His four years there were a pretty impressive deviation in an otherwise incredible trend downward. I think when he got to Tampa, he won a Super Bowl, and then started believing all the good things everyone was saying about him.
Old 09-29-2009   #291
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just my .02.
Capers was a HC before we made him ours. What you say about needing a fiery guy could very well be true but Frazier has the potential to be the next Mike Smith imo. Or maybe we come after Fisher if you guys don't get it turned around
Old 09-29-2009   #292
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree that this team has "zero leadership". Matt Schaub leads by example and makes sure everyone on his offense is on the same page. Andre Johnson plays with more grit than anyone else I've ever seen. Demeco Ryans has more fire than anyone else on this team and plays with the energy and passion of Troy Polamalu.

Just because Kubiak doesn't spit on his players or tongue kiss them on the sidelines doesn't make him a poor leader. It makes him stoic. Bear Bryant was stoic. Tom Landry was stoic. Mike Holmgren was stoic. I'm not saying Kubiak is one of those guys, but don't mistake his lack of screaming for lack of passion or ability.
Nice blast at the Bill Cowher/Joey Porter slobdown.
Old 09-29-2009   #293
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Capers was a HC before we made him ours. What you say about needing a fiery guy could very well be true but Frazier has the potential to be the next Mike Smith imo. Or maybe we come after Fisher if you guys don't get it turned around
Not hijacking the thread, but I'm of the mindset that Fisher may need to go. Not that I don't love the guy, but 15 years, no ring. When does his shit start to stink?

Old 09-29-2009   #294
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I'm no huge Gruden fan, and would be less than thrilled if he ever became the coach of the Texans, but I believe he showed far more as the coach of the Raiders than he ever did in Tampa. His four years there were a pretty impressive deviation in an otherwise incredible trend downward. I think when he got to Tampa, he won a Super Bowl, and then started believing all the good things everyone was saying about him.
Very accurate points - I happen to think that being on the sidelines and press box will make him a better coach now, just can't have him part of the personnel decision team IMO.

If you want an assistant IMO that is ready for a gig and has a good personality for HC, Ron Rivera is due.

Old 09-29-2009   #295
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not hijacking the thread, but I'm of the mindset that Fisher may need to go. Not that I don't love the guy, but 15 years, no ring. When does his shit start to stink?
I cannot begin to tell you how quickly I would jump on Fisher if I were McNair and he were available. I'd hire Schottenheimer in a heartbeat as well, with the same (lack of) hesitation. I understand your frustration, but rings are fickle, unpredictable things. I don't fault Fisher for having come as close as he has so many times. Cowher was no less of a coach before 2006.
Old 09-29-2009   #296
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very accurate points - I happen to think that being on the sidelines and press box will make him a better coach now, just can't have him part of the personnel decision team IMO.

If you want an assistant IMO that is ready for a gig and has a good personality for HC, Ron Rivera is due.
I like Ron Rivera a lot. Haven't been a big Gruden fan for the last several years. I don't want him.
Old 09-29-2009   #297
toronto
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B. View Post
I cannot begin to tell you how quickly I would jump on Fisher if I were McNair and he were available. I'd hire Schottenheimer in a heartbeat as well, with the same (lack of) hesitation. I understand your frustration, but rings are fickle, unpredictable things. I don't fault Fisher for having come as close as he has so many times. Cowher was no less of a coach before 2006.
I'd hire Fisher a hell of a lot quicker than I'd hire Schottenheimer. Fisher doesn't screw up that loaded team that choked at home to NE. Of course I type that knowing what happened to the Titans last year versus BAL.

And to me, rings are fickle, but at the end of the day, that is ultimately what you should be judged on. Fish had a loaded team in 2000 with homefield and another loaded team last year with homefield, and both times the team completely choked. Playoff losses to STL, NE, SD and OAK don't help either. The man can coach, but can he finish? I'm running out of hope that he can do that.

Old 09-29-2009   #298
UK_Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 21 UK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performerUK_Texan is a Legendary performer

Pink soap anyone?
Old 09-29-2009   #299
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

Ron Rivera looks like Samurai Mikes puerto rican brother.

Ron
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/j.../t1_rivera.jpg

Mike
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo...t_football.jpg
Old 09-29-2009   #300
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowher is the only coach AVAILABLE (<---- key word) that would be worth firing Kubiak for. And unless he's already called Bob McNair and said, "Hey, Bob - if you decide to make a change, I'm available", then it's not worth the risk. You may end up with some other castoff like Big Shanny, Dick Jauron, or Herm Edwards if you do and Cowher says no. I'd rather ride the storm with Kubiak as long as he has the offensive side of the ball working. He'll eventually get the defense turned around.

And don't even think about Fisher. He's done enough in Tennessee to earn at least 3 consecutive bad seasons before being fired. He's not going anywhere.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read